PDA

View Full Version : Sutil: Hamilton punishments could be racism

PolePosition_1
30th April 2009, 10:50
Adrian Sutil has spoken out in defence of Lewis Hamilton, saying that the punishments he receives could be a manifestation of racism. The Force India driver wrote in his weekly column for a Dutch magazine that he was mystified by the number of penalties the world champion appears to get.

“I have no idea how he (Hamilton) has got so many punishments. Slowly you start to ask yourself why it always happens to him. Is it his skin colour?” reads the article, in the Dutch magazine ”Formula 1 Race Report”.

Sutil is himself of mixed race parentage, like Hamilton. In raising the question, Sutil is controversially putting forward the idea that the sport’s governing body suffers from institutional racism. It is not the first time the powers-that-be have been accused of being soft on racism - Bernie Ecclestone’s response to racist treatment of Lewis Hamilton in Spain last season was that it was ”probably a joke.”

Although Hamilton fans will seize on Sutil’s words as evidence of a conspiracy, there is unlikely to be either an internal or external FIA enquiry into racism in the sport. The issue is delicate, as Hamilton critics would argue that not penalising Hamilton when he had been found to have done wrong would be favouritism.

SOURCE: http://www.forumula1.net/2009/f1/f1-news/sutil-hamilton-punishments-could-be-racism/

Interesting article, nice to see him stating an actual opinion, rather than writing about next GP and how difficult it is to set up the car etc.

Though can't say I agree with his views.

Garry Walker
30th April 2009, 10:52
Oh yeah, poor lewis, everyone is against blacks, those evil racist whites :( :( :( :( :( :

Mark
30th April 2009, 11:05
It could be lots of things, none of which are to do with racism.

Jealousy of him just stepping into F1 and winning straight away being the main one!

V12
30th April 2009, 11:15
Wow, racist Canadian pitlane lights, racist Belgian tarmac that just *made* him take that shortcut, and I guess his own team must be racist for what they did to the poor lad in Australia. Heard it all now!

555-04Q2
30th April 2009, 11:18
Why the fecking hell do people have to bring racism into everything.

Sutil has just been scratched from my list of fav drivers :down:

leopard
30th April 2009, 11:19
I'd rather think of even a fine punishment is also excessive. They may only need to give him 10 grid penalty for the next couple races. Give credit where it's due, I see him the one we defend for ...

Why would we give punishment to the one telling the truth that he was telling a lie. Liars are around ...

PolePosition_1
30th April 2009, 11:32
Wow, racist Canadian pitlane lights, racist Belgian tarmac that just *made* him take that shortcut, and I guess his own team must be racist for what they did to the poor lad in Australia. Heard it all now!

I think its more to do with the fact others who done what he got penalised for have not recieved any penalties.

CNR
30th April 2009, 11:35
this is the 2nd time that this has been run
the first was last year in September 2008

http://www.lewishamiltonsucks.com/files/lewisinlove.jpg

SGWilko
30th April 2009, 11:42
Oh yeah, poor lewis, everyone is against blacks, those evil racist whites :( :( :( :( :( :

I was not actually aware Lewis was, how did you put it? Black.

Is he not actually of mixed race decent?

But I see your point, I think. I suspect that the team has been the aim of the punishments, as opposed to Lewis, and is therefore probably borne of jealousy.

Donney
30th April 2009, 11:43
Sutil is an idiot!

CNR
30th April 2009, 11:45
http://www.forumula1.net/2008/f1/f1-news/sutil-cautioned-by-monaco-race-stewards/

Force India driver Adrian Sutil has been cautioned for overtaking under yellow flag conditions at the Monaco Grand Prix.
After the race had ended, both Sutil and Force India’s chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne were called to the steward’s office. Sutil was then reprimanded for overtaking Barrichello, Nakajima and Piquet on Lap 13, although it is understood that he will receive no punishment for the infringement.
A statement from the stewards reads, “The stewards do warn the driver of car No. 20 as to his future behaviour in relation to Appendix H, Chapter 2, Article 4.1.2b of the International Sporting Code.”

Sutil cautioned by Monaco race stewards | Forumula1.net | F1 News ... (http://www.forumula1.net/2008/f1/f1-news/sutil-cautioned-by-monaco-race-stewards/)
Sutil: Hamilton punishments could be racism Adrian Sutil has spoken out in defence of Lewis Hamilton, saying that the punishments he ...
www.forumula1.net/2008/f1/f1-news/sutil-cautioned-by-monaco-race-stewards/ - 69k -

CNR
30th April 2009, 11:56
http://www.formulaf1.com/2007/06/27/photo-lewis-hamilton-in-love/

Knock-on
30th April 2009, 12:05
Adrian is entitled to his opinion but I think he's off the mark.

Lewis has possibly put a couple of people nose out of joint because he is so quick but I think the issues with the FIA stemmed from the relationship between Ron and Max while he has got himself in bother recently through his own fault and was rightly disqualified and the team receiving a suspended sentence.

Racism will always be around but I have not perceived the FIA being racist at all IMHO.

Storm
30th April 2009, 12:14
Sutil should concentrate on keeping his car on the track (although this year he seems to have got the hang of it..) and getting some points for himself and his team rather than talk non-sense.

Sonic
30th April 2009, 12:30
One word;

ROLLOCKS!

PolePosition_1
30th April 2009, 12:31
I love how everyone complains of drivers being boring and not stating an opinion, and when one does, they all call him an idiot etc etc.

I disagree with him, but respect fact he is entitled to his opinion, and applaud him for not being scared to state it when its bound to cause a slight stir.

F1boat
30th April 2009, 12:38
On and off track Sutil remains idiot.

Knock-on
30th April 2009, 12:39
One word;

ROLLOCKS!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0_1jH0TaDjU/Rz7DErVbPqI/AAAAAAAABP0/oL4ucTFE3eg/s400/rowlocks.JPG

Hondo
30th April 2009, 13:04
I wouldn't care who the driver was, he should have gotten a personal 2 race ban. He willingly went along with it and only came clean once he was proven to be caught. Racisim has nothing to do with it. If, as many seem to indicate, lying is an F1 fact of life then one has a duty to at least lie well and avoid the stupid lies.

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 13:18
I love how everyone complains of drivers being boring and not stating an opinion, and when one does, they all call him an idiot etc etc.

I certainly agree with you here.

However, while not wishing to call Sutil an idiot, I think these comments are pretty idiotic - unless he has some specific evidence to prove his assertions, of course. This I somehow doubt.

pino
30th April 2009, 13:21

However, while not wishing to call Sutil an idiot, I think these comments are pretty idiotic - unless he has some specific evidence to prove his assertions, of course. This I somehow doubt.

Make up your mind...he's an idiot or not ? :confused: :p :

SGWilko
30th April 2009, 13:29
Make up your mind...he's an idiot or not ? :confused: :p :

To be idiotic is to display the symptoms of an idiot while not actually being an idiot.

Lost in translation again, as usual....

tsk.

MrJan
30th April 2009, 14:26

It's just his opinion so I don't think that he needs to prove anything. Mind you it's a pretty bold opinion to have :D

TheFamousEccles
30th April 2009, 14:39
Surely there is a significant difference between opinion and drivel? I would love to be a fly on the wall when Sutil has his "please explain" audience with Max and Bernie.

Slightly off topic, when I think of Max Mosley why do I always seem to have images of the nazi chorus line from a Mel Brooks movie flash into my head? Strange days....

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 14:50
To be idiotic is to display the symptoms of an idiot while not actually being an idiot.

Precisely. I'm not in the business of calling people idiots without knowing whether they are first, and even that is subjective. Believing that someone's comments are idiotic is a quite different matter.

BeansBeansBeans
30th April 2009, 15:23
I have my own suspicions about why Hamilton has been targeted, but they have nothing to do with his race and are more to do with his race team.

Roamy
30th April 2009, 15:37
Someone needs to drug test Sutil !!

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 15:45
I have my own suspicions about why Hamilton has been targeted, but they have nothing to do with his race and are more to do with his race team.

Although no-one can deny that what happened happened, and was worthy of some degree of punishment, though exactly what and at what stage are matters for debate.

MJW
30th April 2009, 15:50
Well in life I beleive that there are occasions when for political correctness the whites often come off worse, with 'other races' being treated with kid gloves for fear of being accused of racism.

BeansBeansBeans
30th April 2009, 16:06
Although no-one can deny that what happened happened, and was worthy of some degree of punishment, though exactly what and at what stage are matters for debate.

Well yes. I would say the punishment of Hamilton (in most instances) has been disporportionate, rather than unwarranted.

BeansBeansBeans
30th April 2009, 16:08
Well in life I beleive that there are occasions when for political correctness the whites often come off worse, with 'other races' being treated with kid gloves for fear of being accused of racism.

I feel that political correctness is largely a good thing. The odd instance of over-sensitivity is a small price to pay.

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 16:21
I feel that political correctness is largely a good thing. The odd instance of over-sensitivity is a small price to pay.

Quite right.

yodasarmpit
30th April 2009, 16:26
A rather idiotic and unfounded thing for Sutil to say, I don't see it myself, however I'm not party to paddock talk.

V12
30th April 2009, 17:03

+1 +1 +1

pino
30th April 2009, 17:05
Precisely. I'm not in the business of calling people idiots without knowing whether they are first, and even that is subjective. Believing that someone's comments are idiotic is a quite different matter.

I did put 3 smiles in my post, pitty you guys ignored them...

Garry Walker
30th April 2009, 17:27
Indeed.
I guess if you are black and a racist, it is okay and no one dares to say anything, whereas if you are white and have slip of the tongue, you will forever be a target of moronic liberal swines.

30th April 2009, 18:26
Is it cos I'm German?

woody2goody
30th April 2009, 18:44
Whereas I don't think Sutil's suspicions are correct, he is a white driver who is Hamilton's friend, and for him to say that he must have some cause to.

I wouldn't say the FIA really present the picture of being the most tolerant of ethnic minorities, with most of the top brass being older, white men, some with widely publicized right-wing viewpoints.

In the past I have been called a racist for even complaining about something an Asian person has done, despite the fact that three of my best friends are mixed race, black and Indian.

I think we all just need some common sense. For example, if a black guy has a go at a white guy for being an idiot, he is not being racist, he is just pointing out that the white guy is an idiot. It's the same the other way round.

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 18:58
Whereas I don't think Sutil's suspicions are correct, he is a white driver who is Hamilton's friend, and for him to say that he must have some cause to.

I wouldn't say the FIA really present the picture of being the most tolerant of ethnic minorities, with most of the top brass being older, white men, some with widely publicized right-wing viewpoints.

I'm not sure there is anything to suggest that Max Mosley is actually racist nowadays. Certainly, he was an enthusiastic supporter of his father's cause at one time of his life, but today I hope he is as tolerant of everyone else as he wishes everybody to be about his 'eccentric' private tastes. And, while he may not be FIA 'top brass', and while he may have many other faults, racism surely isn't one of those that afflicts Bernie.

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 18:59
Indeed.
I guess if you are black and a racist, it is okay and no one dares to say anything, whereas if you are white and have slip of the tongue, you will forever be a target of moronic liberal swines.

It would have to be a bloody big slip of the tongue.

tintop
30th April 2009, 19:09

Given the history of racism, I think that whites can handle a little extra scrutiny now and then. :)

Jag_Warrior
30th April 2009, 19:21

I disagree with him, but respect fact he is entitled to his opinion, and applaud him for not being scared to state it when its bound to cause a slight stir.

Exactly. That's why the top drivers in most all series are now corporate, stylized, PC infobots - and F1 is probably the worst. IMO, this is why people still ask the likes of Eddie Irvine and Jackie Stewart for interviews: the current crop are like muppets. And who wants to talk to a fake, fuzzy creature with a hand up his rear end?

I'm not inclined to agree with Sutil in this case, as he didn't really present any supporting evidence of his suggestion. But thank goodness for a driver who has the nads to say something that hasn't been run by the lawyers and PR people six or seven times.

MJW
30th April 2009, 20:17
Given the history of racism, I think that whites can handle a little extra scrutiny now and then. :)
Does that make it fair? Racismm in any way is wrongm even if its biased against whites.

UltimateDanGTR
30th April 2009, 20:31
even as a Hamilton supporter I dont think its racism.

I know he got a lot of penalties last year, but most were his own fault (except belgium which was a farce)

I think the FIA's problem is their favouritism towards a certain red team, with lewis beating them the FIA dont like it.

but this is a delicate issue. id laugh if sutil got punished by the fia for this though, that'd tell him not to have freedom of speech and voicing his opinion......(even when i disagree with it)

F1boat
30th April 2009, 20:43
Does that make it fair? Racismm in any way is wrongm even if its biased against whites.

I don't want to feel guilty because some people from OTHER nation were bad several centuries ago. All racism is equally disgusting, including against white people.

Lemmy-Boy
30th April 2009, 21:00

There's only 1 color that controls or dominates F1; The color GREEN (or Insert Your Favorite Currency Here). :)

http://www.watchingamerica.com/images/100dollarbill_pic.jpeg

MJW
30th April 2009, 21:03
There's only 1 color that controls or dominates F1; The color GREEN (or Insert Your Favorite Currency Here). :)

http://www.watchingamerica.com/images/100dollarbill_pic.jpeg
Great, can you print me more of those..............

Daniel
30th April 2009, 22:03
Sutil should get a life ban for this.

BeansBeansBeans
30th April 2009, 22:06

I've thought about why you might say this and I've reached the conclusion that you simply loathe Germans.

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 22:08

I hope you're joking.

Daniel
30th April 2009, 22:09
Definitely! For the record I feel idiocy should be punished severely.

BeansBeansBeans
30th April 2009, 22:11
I'd rather not see him punished for this. We get into sticky territory if we start penalising people for merely airing doubts.

BDunnell
30th April 2009, 22:17
The idea of punishing Sutil for saying something is utterly absurd.

christophulus
30th April 2009, 22:26
Um, wow. It's refreshing to hear a driver actually speaking his mind, but I don't think his theory really holds much water. I think it's more the silver-coloured car he's driving :)

Then again, the British press were going to great lengths to point out that Hamilton was the first black F1 driver. He's in F1 because he's talented, not a "minority", and the sooner people stop pointing out his race the better. It's hardly relevant!

ShiftingGears
1st May 2009, 00:58
What an idiot!

speeddurango
1st May 2009, 01:36
Um, wow. It's refreshing to hear a driver actually speaking his mind, but I don't think his theory really holds much water. I think it's more the silver-coloured car he's driving :)

I believe it would be much better to have Mark Webber, talk on the matter, he's very open to have his opinons though. Sutil on the other hand, well I have absolutely no respect for anybody who has zero idea but still want to have a word about it, especially those offensive ones.

markabilly
1st May 2009, 01:42
Is it cos I'm German?
No it was because i thought you were italian, but now that i think about it, it is okay becuase I loathe germans too :mad:

Fact is I got no use for Chinese, Indians, Mexicans, Spanish, Jews, Catholics, Russians, Poles, Americans, Canadians, Caucasians, Dutch and esp. donkeys and moderators............. :down:

but Sutil is right, it is racist to call someone a liar when they are lieing..otherwise what could you call them ?? honest? lair? mistaken?

Old saying in the practice of law

when the law is against you, argue the facts
when the facts are against you, argue the law
and when facts and law is against you, call the other side a racist

tintop
1st May 2009, 02:08

We poor poor oppressed whites, life isn't fair manm.

tintop
1st May 2009, 02:24
No it was because i thought you were italian, but now that i think about it, it is okay becuase I loathe germans too :mad:

Fact is I got no use for Chinese, Indians, Mexicans, Spanish, Jews, Catholics, Russians, Poles, Americans, Canadians, Caucasians, Dutch and esp. donkeys and moderators............. :down:

but Sutil is right, it is racist to call someone a liar when they are lieing..otherwise what could you call them ?? honest? lair? mistaken?

Old saying in the practice of law

when the law is against you, argue the facts
when the facts are against you, argue the law
and when facts and law is against you, call the other side a racist

Why the donkey hate...why?

Koz
1st May 2009, 03:31
Oh racism!!!

Max's father was a Nazi. Max gets nazi-dressed hookers. Lewis is a liar and a cheat.

I don't give a sh*t if Max is a nazi/racist/transexual/whatever. But Lewis is a liar, end of story.
Sutil just turned out to be a bloody w*nk*r, just like Lewis.
I think it RACIST and offensive that they play the race card whenever it suits them. Drags every non-white/mixed/whatever guy down aswell.

Pathetic.

PS: I'm not Caucasian.

woody2goody
1st May 2009, 03:39
I don't think it's fair to call Sutil all names under the sun just because he voiced his opinion.

I have my doubts that it's true, but it's only adding an extra angle to the situation for people to discuss.

gloomyDAY
1st May 2009, 03:43
http://img.wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/03/ThatsRacist.gif

markabilly
1st May 2009, 04:01
Why the donkey hate...why?

He is an ass, with big ears and tells bad jokes about the fact that I married my sister

But for the record I do not believe in discrimination and support equal opportunity racism for all persons

BTW-was gonna marry my brother but they have yet to legalize same sex marriage where we live....just as well because they also got laws against bigamy and i don't think mom will devorce him anytime soon

Ranger
1st May 2009, 05:26
What a stupid thing to say.

aryan
1st May 2009, 05:59
Adrian is entitled to his opinion but I think he's off the mark.

Perfectly echos what I had to say.

wmcot
1st May 2009, 06:26
Sutil, like all of us, is entitled to his opinion. That said, most of us have the ability to think before we speak, especially if it will be published.

leopard
1st May 2009, 07:40
The punishment has lame reasoning, parents may tweak children who were caught lying or leopard was caught for eating meat without permission from the boss, there is no rule regulating punishment for such fault.

The sport like F1 must abide by the rule, any violation , infraction, or infringement are unequivocally measured using standard parameter, indictment made to defendants which are against the rule.

I think it would be acceptable if the reason of punishment is for breaching an article of Int'l sporting code that may put the race in danger, and not by reason lying to stewards ...

wmcot
3rd May 2009, 08:59
Funny, I didn't know that lying was reserved for any particular race? I though it was pretty universal. Does this mean that the penalties MS received (Monaco 2006, etc.) were anti-German? We better hope that there is never a Jewish driver in F1 because any action against him will be anti-semitic.

(But why all the fuss? After all, Lewis only told a little "white" lie... ;) )