PDA

View Full Version : When was Shumi at his best?

Sonic
29th April 2009, 21:47
Well???

Five era's to pick from IMO.

1991-1993 - The debut years

1994-1995 - Champion

1996-1999 - Rebuilding Ferrari

2000-2004 - The glory years

2005-2006 - The end?

Brown, Jon Brow
29th April 2009, 23:07
I reckon rebuilding Ferrari era. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have been WDC in 1999 if he hadn't broken his leg.

wedge
29th April 2009, 23:16
There were odd moments where you questioned his motivation eg.Suzuka 2003 and China 2005 where he seemed to fall asleep but on the whole he was consistantly at his best.

He started as a (potential) great and finished as a great.

Jag_Warrior
29th April 2009, 23:26
I'd say the Ferrari Reformation period.

I actually liked him during those years. :p :

Valve Bounce
30th April 2009, 02:57
Is this thread a tribute to a missing friend or what??

woody2goody
30th April 2009, 03:16
I'd pick 'the glory years' of 2000-2004.

He always seemed to be able to put in that little bit extra to make a strategy work, or to get pole position in those years. Even in 2002 with a vastly superior car, the way he dealt with Montoya and Barrichello was ruthless and a great display of driving.

In '03 he overcame a great challenge from McLaren and Williams, and in 04 he crushed everyone again. I wouldn't say 04 was his best year as he didn't really have to break a sweat for most of the year.

555-04Q2
30th April 2009, 06:51
I will never forget Spa 91 where he put the Jordan in P6 straight out the hat. That for me was the greatest Schumi moment in his F1 career. I was an instant fan and when Prost retired, I started to support Schumi and what a ride he provided me over the years.

1994 and 1995 were obviously special as he was racing against the best car in the field in the 80's and 90's, Williams, and still won the WDC twice.

1997 was a great year as well, the last race sadly recked it though for many of us, including some of us Schumi fans.

I think Schumi had his best two seasons in 1999 and 2000. He probably would have won the 1999 WDC but for a tyre wall that jumped in front of him :p :

In 2002 and 2004 he was sublime, even though the car was fast as sh!t, he dominated F1 totally.

2006 for me was also a great season for an old Schumi vs a hungry and young Alonso. His last GP at Brazil was astounding! I wept like a firkin baby after the race.

I have to agree with wedge though, Schumi was like a reliable old Swiss clock.

F1boat
30th April 2009, 06:52
All seasons IMO were amazing, but the glory years of course was most impressive :)

ArrowsFA1
30th April 2009, 08:41
Tough to say because he was pretty darn good throughout his career :p : but probably the early years at Ferrari were his best IMHO. He had far from the best car, and yet produced some superb performances. As well as that he was part of the team being put in place that was to produce such success later. No easy task.

SGWilko
30th April 2009, 08:53
When he was winning. Austria 2003, when he recovered from a pit lane fire to Win (I was on honeymoon at the time in Italy, and had cunningly paid for my wife to spend the day at the health spa....) is one that sticks out for me.

Mark
30th April 2009, 09:12
I reckon rebuilding Ferrari era. There is no doubt in my mind that he would have been WDC in 1999 if he hadn't broken his leg.

I think there is pretty much no doubt about that. Considering Irvine ran Hakkinen to the title down to the final race at Suzuka. MS had way more points than Irvine before Silverstone, so I don't see any scenario where MS wouldn't have been champion in 1999.

However the only difference it would have made is that Hakkinen would have only won one championship and Schumacher eight.

As to the question, I think the stregth of Schumacher is that he didn't have a good or bad time, I'd say the entire time from 1995 to 2004 he was at the absolute top of his game.

Up to and including 1994 he was still a youngster, a bit where Hamilton is now, and after 2004 I think after getting a kicking from Alonso he'd grown tired of Formula 1.

Mark
30th April 2009, 09:19
The rebuilding years IMO as he got a fair few race wins in an under performing car and showed his true talent. The glory years were just the fruits of their labour from the previous seasons and by an experienced driver by this time.

Remeber of course that he came within a whisker of being champion in 1997 if it wasn't for the infamous Jerez incident.

1998 it went down to the final race, and of course 1999 he broke his leg.

The only year he wasn't in (or could have been in) real contention for the championship was 1996, his first year at Ferrari when Williams dominated, and yet he still managed to win.

jens
30th April 2009, 09:46
-- I'd say the entire time from 1995 to 2004 he was at the absolute top of his game.

I tend to agree and it's difficult to really divide that era of 10 years into smaller pieces to find out, where he was 'better'. For half of it he had an inferior car and later on often superior. Of course in either occasions the driver of MS was shown in different light in different situations, but results were in both occasions similarly impressive.

Garry Walker
30th April 2009, 10:04
I think there is pretty much no doubt about that. Considering Irvine ran Hakkinen to the title down to the final race at Suzuka. MS had way more points than Irvine before Silverstone, so I don't see any scenario where MS wouldn't have been champion in 1999.

Well, to be fair, before Silverstone MS had 6 more points than Eddie and after Silverstone, they were equal.
Schumi would have probably won that year though, but it is irrelevant now. He won plenty after :D

I`d say his best years were from 95 to 97. After that he was still brilliant, but without slicks not as dominating as before. But still dominating.
Funny how in 2002 he did not impress me anywhere near as much as during some other years, where he won much less.

jens
30th April 2009, 10:12
Funny how in 2002 he did not impress me anywhere near as much as during some other years, where he won much less.

He was often driving away from the pack together with Rubens, so it was difficult to 'impress'. :) And considering all those gifted wins in the second half of 2002, it was clear Michael was performing far from his best that year as he didn't need to be at his best.

Garry Walker
30th April 2009, 10:19
He was often driving away from the pack together with Rubens, so it was difficult to 'impress'. :) And considering all those gifted wins in the second half of 2002, it was clear Michael was performing far from his best that year as he didn't need to be at his best.

Even when he was pushing, he did not have the pace over Rubens in quite the similar way he had in some other years.
Rubens loved the F2002, it suited him really well and he was quite the threat to MS that year.

PolePosition_1
30th April 2009, 10:41
I'd say he was his best between 1996 - 2002.

Amazing performances, undoubtably a great talent and very much missed.

555-04Q2
30th April 2009, 11:25
When he was winning. Austria 2003, when he recovered from a pit lane fire to Win (I was on honeymoon at the time in Italy, and had cunningly paid for my wife to spend the day at the health spa....) is one that sticks out for me.

Money well spent :)

Sonic
30th April 2009, 12:25
I've sat on the fence long enough now.

IMO he showed greatness throughout his whole career, his win in '92 was AMAZING considering he did not have the advantage of active suspension and all the rest of the toys enjoyed by the FW14B.

Strangely I thought his performances in 05 and 06 were his best. After so much success how he motivated himself with poor tyres in 05 and a weaker car in 06 I don't know but races like imola 05 and brazil 06 stick in my mind.

TheFamousEccles
2nd May 2009, 11:54
I liked him best when he was running into his competitors to prevent them from beating him :devil:

EuroTroll
2nd May 2009, 12:58
I will never forget Spa 91 where he put the Jordan in P6 straight out the hat.

How dare you spread such lies?? :hmph: It was P7! :p :

He was pretty darn good immediately, though, wasn't he? Matching or beating Piquet immediately, in his first few races, late '91. And he was good until the end, Brazil '06 was a great drive. And he was never poor.

I'd go for the "glory years" as being his best, though. He just seemed untouchable then. More so than anyone else I've ever seen.

UltimateDanGTR
2nd May 2009, 13:00
2002 was his year. he hardly put a foot wrong all year. although in 2004 he won more races, 2002 was better because he was never off the podium. truly remarkable. truly broing aswell but never mind...........

keysersoze
2nd May 2009, 14:22
With his abilities, focus, and commitment, I believe he'd could get this year's Ferrari to P1 in, oh, about three races.

555-04Q2
4th May 2009, 14:43
How dare you spread such lies?? :hmph: It was P7! :p :

My bad :p :

CNR
5th May 2009, 08:19
i just wish he would get off his bike

Although escaping serious injury, former seven time world champion Schumacher fell so heavily while testing in February that he had to call off his participation in this month's opening round of the German Superbike series.

Rodriguez 917
5th May 2009, 21:19
He was at his best in 1994-1998 when he out drove the cars he had. When he was the underdog he was at his best, similar to Alonso at the back end of last season. When he had his run of titles from 2000-2004 his car was so good he lost a bit of that killer instinct I think.