PDA

View Full Version : Jenson Button for Sports Personality of the Year 2006!!

stevie_gerrard
7th December 2006, 01:02
I thought i would rally the fans to Vote for good old bunsen for finally breaking his GP duck in 113 races of trying. It was probably the most exciting race of the year as well, because of the appaling weather, but it was a performance of pure grit, and after scoring points in every race of the season after that, it shows just the quality that the englishman has and if he can get just a good a start as he did a few years ago when he finished in the top 3 of the WDC then he can be a real championship Contender.

So pick up the phone and vote for Jenson, because he's one of the few people who deserves it! :)

Alfa Fan
7th December 2006, 01:55
I really hope this is a piss take....

Ian McC
7th December 2006, 02:14
Errr................

Schultz
7th December 2006, 05:57
Do you really want to encourage MEDIOCRICITY?

555-04Q2
7th December 2006, 07:08
stevie gerrard has gone mad. Someone put him out of his misery :p :

Valve Bounce
7th December 2006, 11:57
Shane Warne. He left the Poms Warne Out. :p :

Ian McC
7th December 2006, 12:22
Shane Warne. :p :

Who?

ArrowsFA1
7th December 2006, 12:25
Yeah, who does he drive for :confused: :p

Valve Bounce
7th December 2006, 13:24
Yeah, who does he drive for :confused: :p

He drives the Poms crazy :p :

V12
7th December 2006, 15:45
Actually thinking about it...who else is there? We bombed at the World Cup, the only Premier League team to do anything in the Champions League had virtually no English players, our rugby team is in disarray, and I won't even get started on the Ashes, was Button the only Englishman to actually win anything in 2006?

Dave B
7th December 2006, 15:59
Andy Priaulx. He's a World Champion - again - but keeps getting overlooked for recognition by everybody outside of the Channel Islands :s

stevie_gerrard
7th December 2006, 20:57
I am very sorry for my overenthusiasm, but i do honestly believe below the unreliable person is a future world champion. Whether i have gone crazy or not, i do believe Button can be a serious contender. So i do apologize if i have offended anyone but this is my honest opinion. :)

As for the award, out of the people nominated, he was one of the most reliable people of the second half of the year. I do agree Andy Priaulx probably deserves it most out of anyone, but Jenson, alongside Monty were consistent throughout, and Darren deserves it for his brilliant performance at the Ryder Cup, after such a long time out. So Jenson will possibly be in the top 3 :)

Upmost Apologies once again to those offended by my comments

Daika
7th December 2006, 21:57
Is personality the same as sportman/woman of the year? sportman of the year has to win something contrary to personality.

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 07:14
Actually thinking about it...who else is there? We bombed at the World Cup, the only Premier League team to do anything in the Champions League had virtually no English players, our rugby team is in disarray, and I won't even get started on the Ashes, was Button the only Englishman to actually win anything in 2006?

And I thought we were going through a rough patch this year :p :

Storm
8th December 2006, 10:40
Robbo on the BBC site thinks its should be Monty Panesar :)

Certainly not Button IMO but then as said before not many British sportspersons have done anything of note apart from Priaulx.

Mark
8th December 2006, 12:44
Matt Neal!

Valve Bounce
8th December 2006, 12:47
LINK PLEASE!

ArrowsFA1
8th December 2006, 12:57
Mmmmmm :dozey: Button wins a race. Andy Priaulx retains the WTCC.

Tough to see who should have been nominated :rolleyes:

555-04Q2
8th December 2006, 13:32
Mmmmmm :dozey: Button wins a race. Andy Priaulx retains the WTCC.

Tough to see who should have been nominated :rolleyes:

What about good old Mansell boy :?: Surely he qualifies :?:

BeansBeansBeans
8th December 2006, 13:33
Priaulx has done extremely well, but I don't see why Button is being criticised for Priaulx's non-appearance in the nominations. As far as I'm aware he wasn't on the judging panel.

Button drove superbly in the Hungarian GP, and for the remainder of the 2007 season. He is arguably Britain's highest profile active sportsman on the world stage, and has had a successful year, in which he scored his maiden victory and beat his highly experienced and successful team mate. The amount of negativity which has greeted his nomination is absurd. If you don't want him to win, don't vote for him.

Also, small success at the highest level can be better than large success at a lower level. If Priaulx had the opportunity to turn back time and swap his WTCC titles for a Grand Prix victory, I'm fairly sure he'd take it.

ArrowsFA1
8th December 2006, 14:16
No intended criticism of Button from me. He outscored everyone towards the end of the season and thoroughly deserved his victory.

It's the awards themselves I'm critical of. They only reflect the sports the BBC covers, inevitably as it's a BBC programme :p :, but the number of those have been decreasing as the years go on.

Robinho
8th December 2006, 14:22
True, Button is one of the few Brits to win anything this year, but i don't think he should be Sports Personality of the Year, for me there are a few who have had a better year, in spite of the rubbish Football, Rugby and Cricket performances, there is still Darren Clarke, Joe Calzaghe, Amir Kahn, Andy Murray who have acheived great things this year, as well as Priaulx who did win a World championship.

if Button wins the Championship next year then he will be my tip for sports personality, this year he probably only deserves an honorable mention

Donney
8th December 2006, 16:25
Agree I wonder what would happen if he wins the championsip.

dwf1
8th December 2006, 17:47
stevie gerrard has gone mad. Someone put him out of his misery :p :

Its being away from his girlfriend for so long mate! lol :P shes gone to see him today so he should have calmed down! :LOL:

wmcot
9th December 2006, 09:26
You are referring to British Personality of the Year or BBC Personality of the Year and not overall world-wide Personality of the Year, correct?

Valve Bounce
9th December 2006, 10:39
How about Leisel Jones?

Dave B
9th December 2006, 18:38
You are referring to British Personality of the Year or BBC Personality of the Year and not overall world-wide Personality of the Year, correct?

Yup. See here for more details:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/default.stm
:)

BeansBeansBeans
9th December 2006, 19:01
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_of_the_year/6157540.stm

This shows how the nominations were chosen. I find it a bit odd that not one of the shortlists featured Andy Priaulx. Ross Brawn and Matt Neal got one nomination each.

Ian McC
9th December 2006, 20:23
Motorsport other than F1 has a low interest level in the UK. You would think that someone winning back to back championships in a world series would be nominated.

eloyf1
9th December 2006, 22:39
Who merits more a prive of this kind???
A double (Even three-times) world champion, or a driver who has won only one race in 6 years??? I think Mike Conway merits more this prize than Button, even... Why??? He has won the unofficial "World cup of F3", the Macau GP...
You may disagree, but I think Conwa hasdone a magical season...

eloyf1
9th December 2006, 22:40
Oh my God, sorry!!! I thought it was a motorsport prize only... More reasons to explain why I disagree with the winner of this prize...

Valve Bounce
10th December 2006, 06:08
Gee! I noticed that Tim Henman didn't even get a mention here. :(

stevie_gerrard
10th December 2006, 17:06
Its being away from his girlfriend for so long mate! lol :P shes gone to see him today so he should have calmed down! :LOL:

cheers for that Dave. I wouldnt say she calmed me down really :p :

BeansBeansBeans
10th December 2006, 18:37
It's the awards themselves I'm critical of. They only reflect the sports the BBC covers, inevitably as it's a BBC programme :p :

How do you explain the inclusion of Jenson Button then?

ArrowsFA1
10th December 2006, 19:07
How do you explain the inclusion of Jenson Button then?
BBC Radio 5 Live ;)

BeansBeansBeans
10th December 2006, 19:17
BBC Radio 5 Live

Good answer. That's the last time I try to catch you out :p :

jso1985
10th December 2006, 20:30
I really don't agree with Button getting an award for winning 1 GP, then surely Henman or Murray deserve the award also!.
Only in motorsport I think many drivers performed better, Wheldon and Wilson were close to win a championship, not to forget Priaulx, Hamilton or Conway who actually won.
Even in F1, I think Bob Bell or Ross Brawn deserves it more

Valve Bounce
11th December 2006, 07:45
I really don't understand why they want to consider a whole bunch of losers when the Commonwealth has some real champions like Leisel Jones. http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/jones-just-shy/2006/12/05/1165080949980.html

Valve Bounce
11th December 2006, 09:35
.........Layne Beachley. http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/beachleys-seventh-title/2006/12/11/1165685587802.html

dwf1
11th December 2006, 15:41
cheers for that Dave. I wouldnt say she calmed me down really :p :

ok mate we didnt need to know that! :S

jens
12th December 2006, 11:29
You are seeking for British Sports Personality of the year?

Well, why not any of the biathletes? They are always the last ones in the relay, but nevertheless they still refuse to give up! ;)

Valve Bounce
12th December 2006, 12:09
You are seeking for British Sports Personality of the year?

Well, why not any of the biathletes? They are always the last ones in the relay, but nevertheless they still refuse to give up! ;)

You could use this argument for the Poms Test Cricket Team. I vote for Duncan Fletcher and Giles. :D

F1boat
12th December 2006, 13:13
I'd like to see Button winning the award :)

Mikeall
13th December 2006, 21:58
Zara Phillips won...

I really don't know why Ronnie O Sullivan never wins because he is an amazing sports personality

Valve Bounce
14th December 2006, 12:58
I'm willing to bet the Wiggles are more deserving of any award than the personalities mentioned above (except in my ramblings, of course). :p :