PDA

View Full Version : Edwards has strong words for Nascar

harvick#1
27th April 2009, 01:47
http://www.thatsracin.com/140/story/7896.html

Is it time to for nascar to enforce a penalty or change the rules for breakaways at Talladega, it seems that with this car, the Drivers are all fearing in not even wanting to race.

what edwards did say is sad but true, Nascar will never change anything until someone gets killed.

The instant classic
27th April 2009, 01:53
i sure cant blame Carl for saying that, cuz we could have very well have seen his last race today, great to see hes ok

PitMarshal
27th April 2009, 07:55
i sure cant blame Carl for saying that, cuz we could have very well have seen his last race today, great to see hes ok

I can and will. For a start I doubt he would have said that if his crash hadn't been as bad as it was. It woudl have been another 'Oh well, that's racing' soundbite that most of them trot out.
Secondly the 'no overtaking below the yellow line' has been far to abused by drivers who deliberately block opponents knowing they have no option but to back off or risk a penalty. Carl tried to play the game, Brad called his bluff, and Carl lost out.

RaceFanStan
27th April 2009, 12:52
Carl Edwards' words were said without malice but he made his point.
Look at the changes made since Dale Earnhardt's death.
It is sad that a driver has to die before NASCAR does something. :s

Lee Roy
27th April 2009, 13:16
It is sad that a driver has to die before NASCAR does something. :s

Agreed.

75% of NASCAR's problems could be eliminated if they'd just reconfigure Daytona and Talladega to where they no longer needed those damnable restrictor plates to race there. But you'll never get the France family to see that. If the loss of Dale Earnhardt didn't do it, nothing will.

rabf1
27th April 2009, 13:33
I don't get it, Edwards tried to block a guy and ran into him. He runs into another guy and he says Nascar needs to change the rules?

Andrewmcm
27th April 2009, 13:53
Agreed.

75% of NASCAR's problems could be eliminated if they'd just reconfigure Daytona and Talladega to where they no longer needed those damnable restrictor plates to race there. But you'll never get the France family to see that. If the loss of Dale Earnhardt didn't do it, nothing will.

What do you suggest? More gentle banking? I've never though about how one could reconfigure the superspeedways so I'd be interested to hear how this could be done.

Lee Roy
27th April 2009, 15:26
What do you suggest? More gentle banking? I've never though about how one could reconfigure the superspeedways so I'd be interested to hear how this could be done.

Both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) and Pocono are 2.5 miles in length just like Daytona, and Talladega is just marginally longer at 2.66 miles. Neither IMS nor Pocono need Restrictor Plates to keep the cars on the ground and down to an average speed that the Insurance Companies can live with. They are both low banked speedways.

Now the NASCAR races at IMS do suck, but that's a different issue.

I went to many races at Daytona and Talladega (1968 - 1979) before the restrictor plates were made necessary (1987). I wouldn't cross the street to see a race at either of those tracks now.

Wade91
27th April 2009, 15:55
Both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) and Pocono are 2.5 miles in length just like Daytona, and Talladega is just marginally longer at 2.66 miles. Neither IMS nor Pocono need Restrictor Plates to keep the cars on the ground and down to an average speed that the Insurance Companies can live with. They are both low banked speedways.

Now the NASCAR races at IMS do suck, but that's a different issue.

I went to many races at Daytona and Talladega (1968 - 1979) before the restrictor plates were made necessary (1987). I wouldn't cross the street to see a race at either of those tracks now.
well, i think restrictor plate races where the racing is always very close is better than MIS where the feild is always strung out

Lee Roy
27th April 2009, 17:01
well, i think restrictor plate races where the racing is always very close is better than MIS where the feild is always strung out

I remember races at Daytona and Talladega where only one or two cars were on the lead lap at the end of the race, and I liked them just fine. And I would enjoy them again today if that's the way they turned out.

Guess us old-time NASCAR fans are different than the newbies of today. I like racing, newbie's like "the big one".

71minus2
27th April 2009, 22:49
Guess us old-time NASCAR fans are different than the newbies of today. I like racing, newbie's like "the big one".

I think you got that right. I'm a relatively new NASCAR fan (since 2004) and have only ever associated Talladega with "The Big One", the commentators have always made a big issue of "The Big One" and it seems to be the big attraction for a large number of fans.

e2mtt
27th April 2009, 23:19
Edwards is just running off his mouth without thinking. He pulled a stupid move and tried to block Brad K., without actually being clear to do it.

He then went airborne because he turned sideways at close to 200 mph. However, the reason he went up to the catch fence was only because of the perfectly timed drop-kick from Ryan Newman, who hit him at exactly the right time & place to launch him up into the air.

The new car stays on the ground better then any stock car out there... but when it gets hit from underneath & behind any racecar will catch air.

wedge
27th April 2009, 23:56
Edwards is just running off his mouth without thinking. He pulled a stupid move and tried to block Brad K., without actually being clear to do it.

The more I think about it, the more I agree. I think Carl knew what he was doing, checkers or wreckers he knew the risks he was taking playing chicken with the yellow line.

Racing is racing but maybe there should be a one move to block rule?

Sparky1329
28th April 2009, 01:57
Maybe Cousin Carl will have second thoughts about blocking after yesterday's incident.

youtellme
28th April 2009, 02:20
Maybe Cousin Carl will have second thoughts about blocking after yesterday's incident.

I KNOW DASS RIGHT!
I bet that is the last time he judges a Rookie going 190 mph.

willracefan
28th April 2009, 04:01
edwards seems to enjoy praising drivers for wrecking him or bumping him.

Mark in Oshawa
28th April 2009, 04:13
The blocking rules in other forms of racing wont apply here. It is really simple. Edwards hit it on the head. This isn't racing. To many it is, but the reality is it is sort of a NASCAR lottery. If you were to build a track this long now, you wouldn't do it with that banking.

The problem lies in that people have grown up with the high banks of Daytona and Talladega but the reality of it is 4 races a year are sort of a freak show version of the sport. Now 43 cars in a pack at 190 is exciting, but as Carl proved, it may kill someone in the stands someday too.

I don't think NASCAR knows what to do. They have created a monster with Dega and Daytona and they don't know how to fix it. I am sure there are no easy answers, but Carl played the game the way it has to be played at this form of racing, and his block was about half a second late and we all saw the consequences.

electron
28th April 2009, 08:08
from his words I doubt Carl will have second thought about trying to block like that again.

The fact that Keselowski won [no offense thogh] shows what a lottery this has become once the big one collected a lot of potential winners.

Maybe a more severe penalty system on blocking may help the drivers.
issue stop/go penalties right on the spot during the race and mandatory one race suspensions for such moves when no s/g is possible anymore, esp. when causing crashes with such results, maybe this helps the drivers keeping it in mind when planning their moves. A s/g penalized car should also not be allowed for lucky dog the next yellow. If it hurts it helps.

I also say that the TV guys should tone down a bit on the "big one" attraction. Overdone I think.

colinspooky
28th April 2009, 09:08
So. This is all boiling down to making motor racing completely safe. Not going to happen. Ever. If you want races to be races, that is.

Rule on blocking? Super tough to enforce. Carl's second 'block' was a movement of a foot or so - not a clear swerve. How to you legislate against that? How many lateral inches is a "block" ?

Restrictor plates bunching everyone up? Scrap them. And then occassionally have a car take off and hit the fence at 240 mph. Well!! Says it all. Smaller plates to keep them at 150mph?

Lower the banks. Well, that's nice and cheap. And too many will miss the tradition of the tracks. Don't these cars go faster at Texas?

Maybe more flaps to keep cars down if they are going backwards. But then Ryan's collision did much more to maintain Carl's height.

Not sure what rules Carl wants changing before someone dies, but I can't help thinking there are a lot of people in senior positions looking at this too, and wondering how it can be prevented from happening again.

And let's face it - it was sensational to watch, and a percentage of people who go to races are looking only for these moments.

If it becomes 'too safe' some of the glamour will be sucked from the sport.

People like the fact these guys are literally laying their life on the line every time they climb on board, and not just for the races.

It is dangerous, and I believe that is part of the reason it's popular. We all want to see them walk away, but many still ONLY enjoy the wrecks.

Commentators speak with excited voices. Fans stand for a better look. Cameras reply them from lots of angle ad infinitum.

Not just NASCAR -all motor sport. Cameras linger on ice hockey fights. We have rolling news when there has been a mass shooting - constantly looping the same bit of film.

Mountaineering is popular as are police chase programmes and street fight shows.

We like danger. There can be too many rules. But we don't like driver's getting hurt - that is a massive no no. Which means rules tend to be aimed at making the cars safer. Seen those old race films? Seat belts. Nothing else. Amazing. But wrong.

These drivers could take up marathon knitting I guess. But careful of those needles lads.

Rant over. ;)

wedge
28th April 2009, 11:40
:up:

I'm not sure if I'll follow NASCAR ever again if Dega and Daytona were to be castrated

Lee Roy
28th April 2009, 12:36
:up:

I'm not sure if I'll follow NASCAR ever again if Dega and Daytona were to be castrated

Why's that?

wedge
28th April 2009, 14:12
Why's that?

Superspeedways should be flat-out IMHO

Lee Roy
28th April 2009, 14:58
Superspeedways should be flat-out IMHO

I understand.

But for me when the racing turns into an abomonation, like restrictor plate racing has become, I can't enjoy that. I would prefer lower banks, or even turn Daytona and Talladega into some kind of road courses. I know that would probably alienate most everyone who now enjoy's the current racing model at these tracks, but I used to be very happy at these tracks when the crowds were no where near as big as they are today. But hey, that's just me.

(Plus, if the Daytona International Speedway became a first class road course, maybe we could get the US Grand Prix there. Just wishful thinking.)

wedge
28th April 2009, 15:51
Every year plate races have turned pack racing into a more and more of a joke so the big one is inevitable.

When Davey Allison used to rule Dega in the early plate races the cars were strung out in decent packs now its a battle royale clusterfu.....

Sparky1329
28th April 2009, 16:18
Two new road courses would work for me. :)

colinspooky
28th April 2009, 18:51
When Davey Allison used to rule Dega in the early plate races the cars were strung out in decent packs

So just one guy dominated time and again leaving everyone else trailing miles behind leaving no doubt who was going to win. Hmmm, ok....... :eek:

Wade91
28th April 2009, 19:04
Every year plate races have turned pack racing into a more and more of a joke so the big one is inevitable.

When Davey Allison used to rule Dega in the early plate races the cars were strung out in decent packs now its a battle royale clusterfu.....
the pack of cars being strung out like that, is not near as good of racing as with the restricter plates where the racing is always very close

talladega and daytona need to stay just like they are becouse they are two of the best tracks in nascar

harvick#1
28th April 2009, 19:22
the pack of cars being strung out like that, is not near as good of racing as with the restricter plates where the racing is always very close

talladega and daytona need to stay just like they are becouse they are two of the best tracks in nascar

plate racing is not racing, every driver is tired of it. I had to agree with Johnson in his interview as he called the racing a joke.

the best track is Richmond, hands down. followed by Darlington.

Talladega is a joke of a track when all the driver has to do is keep the foot on the gas pedal. Daytonas summer race is good because the drivers actually will break away and have a race with lifting in the corners because the tires wear so quick

e2mtt
29th April 2009, 00:01
The flip side: although I am a huge road race fan, and like short tracks, and can't stand most of the 1-1/2 milers, and know restrictor plate racing is a crock...

I love watching the plate races. They are exciting. They are a spectacle. They are madness. They are awesome.

71minus2
29th April 2009, 09:08
Two new road courses would work for me. :)

Something like the old Monza circuit would do! Oval and road course combined

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Monza_1922.svg/571px-Monza_1922.svg.png

Mark in Oshawa
2nd May 2009, 22:12
I don't see anything happening any time soon. ISC and NASCAR both have said as much, and since the France family infects both, I don't see that changing.

I think Daytona as a stand alone event works. The track there is narrow and wears out the tires fast enough that the packs spread out in time. I may not like it, but I can see how the cars have to handle, the crews have to make changes to keep the cars up front and there is some driving skill over time. Dega? Plough it up and build an oval we would want to watch. Darlington. Rockingham. Phoenix. Indy. All are unique ovals that were a mile or larger that have put on GREAT races. The templates are out there. Do something new at Talladega. God knows it wont happen, but we came an eyelash away from NASCAR looking at ONE hell of a tragedy and people can claim "ya but it didn't happen, the fence held" all they like, but no one knew for sure and I can tell you that short of not selling the first 20 rows, there is no sure way to protect those people.

wedge
19th May 2009, 14:48
So just one guy dominated time and again leaving everyone else trailing miles behind leaving no doubt who was going to win. Hmmm, ok....... :eek:

You forgot that Dale Earnhardt, as per usual, comes from no where dicing for lead.

1989 Winston 500 in full:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCrNhqwNBNM&feature=related