PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 game

Pages : [1] 2 3

gloomyDAY
26th April 2009, 01:30
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9239.html

Made by a company named Codemasters and looks like crap.
I haven't seen graphics like that since 1992.

Glad it's not offered for the Xbox 360. :vader:

woody2goody
26th April 2009, 01:41
It's not that bad considering it's an early build for the Wii and freakin' PSP.

They are bringing out F1 2009 for those consoles, and doing a proper next-gen F1 2010 for PS3 and 360 to be released next season.

I'm gutted to be honest, but at least we have F1 CE on PS3 which still does a good job of quenching the thirst for console F1 even at it's venerable age.

I know Codies will do a good job on these games.

gloomyDAY
26th April 2009, 01:46
Championship Edition was alright. I liked the old cars and liveries, but other than that the game was pretty shallow. Had more fun playing Ace Combat 4 than a toned down F1 game.

Ranger
26th April 2009, 02:48
Yeah those graphics look crap.

Hope the final version is much better (not that I'm getting it).

ykiki
27th April 2009, 03:29
I'm not worried at all. Having played Codemaster racing games in the past, I have confidence that they'll do a good job.

As far as the graphics are concerned, these screenshots look ok for the PSP. I mean, we're talking about the PSP here people - not the XBOX 360 or PS3!!! Anyone who has seen DiRT or Grid for those systems knows that you really won't have to worry about the graphics.

Gameplay is another thing altogether - especially trying to strike a fine balance between Sim and Arcade.

UltimateDanGTR
27th April 2009, 16:27
Graphics for PS3 and Xbox 360 will be fine, and I have confidence that codies will make a fantastic game, they have a thing for racing games.

just annoyed that i have to wait another year, when they very clearly told us F1 2009 would be released for PS3 and Xbox 360 this september. so they lied.

Maybe they should be disqualified?

just aslong as F1 2010 is absolutely superb, i will eventually be fine.............

N. Jones
27th April 2009, 16:56
Those look like pre-production shots to me. I would bet the finished product would look much nicer.

Although I won't be getting it since I like playing on my PC - it's Grand Prix 4 modded for me! (Ralf-y and me as JPM lead both championships heading into Barcelona!) :D

V12
27th April 2009, 17:07
Hmm...looks OK I guess but GP2 (the game, not the series) was still better :D

CaptainRaiden
27th April 2009, 21:48
I'm not worried at all. Having played Codemaster racing games in the past, I have confidence that they'll do a good job.

As far as the graphics are concerned, these screenshots look ok for the PSP. I mean, we're talking about the PSP here people - not the XBOX 360 or PS3!!! Anyone who has seen DiRT or Grid for those systems knows that you really won't have to worry about the graphics.

Gameplay is another thing altogether - especially trying to strike a fine balance between Sim and Arcade.

Exactly what I was going to say. In fact, you stole the words from my mouth. Probably people didn't see that those screenshots were for the PSP (handheld) and Wii. I have no doubt that the PS3 and X360 version is gonna look superb!

Also, the F1 game is gonna use the same game engine as DiRT and Grid, and having played those games, this game looks to be way better than what F1 CE hopes to be.

Codies have been bringing us for years Colin Mcrae Rally and TOCA, with their new avatars being DiRT and Grid and never disappointed me being a huge racing game fan. Have some more patience, and I'm sure the game is gonna rule all.

For guys that don't know, take a look at some movies of both of the games running on the same engine the new F1 game is gonna be based on.

DiRT: _3iRmbzWye8

AND

GRID: http://www.racedrivergrid.com/#/movies/

woody2goody
27th April 2009, 22:39
Well DIRT and GRID did use the same engine, but CM have said that F1, at least 2010 will be a simulation. But they admit they will have to cater for non-sim players too, given the mass appeal of F1.

I'm sure they'll do well with it.

POS_Maggott
28th April 2009, 00:00
If it's anything like GRID, I will not be buying it. Those screenshots are definitely from a handheld or lower end console, as Codemasters has quite the good graphics engine for their racing games.

The only problem is, they are just racing games. There is a huge difference between a game and a sim, and if Codemasters doesn't turn this into a sim, it will end up being similar to the EA Sports NASCAR games, as far as realism goes.

That's not a good thing.

Ari
28th April 2009, 06:27
If it's anything like GRID, I will not be buying it. Those screenshots are definitely from a handheld or lower end console, as Codemasters has quite the good graphics engine for their racing games.

The only problem is, they are just racing games. There is a huge difference between a game and a sim, and if Codemasters doesn't turn this into a sim, it will end up being similar to the EA Sports NASCAR games, as far as realism goes.

That's not a good thing.

Could not agree more.

I've been following the codies F1 forum and there have been a number of posts and even a thread by the guys who are making the game.... the actual project lead.

In short the game will be a Sim but will also have 'quick race' and other elements for those who like arcade. Quick race and such are also fantastic for the Sim racer who has a few mates over on Friday night and one wants a run around Monaco.

Codies have said they are spending a lot of time on creating the full race weekend. This will include all prac and a qual sessions as well as realism with KERS and others systems.

I own both Dirt and Grid and to be frank with you.... they're preety bad. Colin McRae 05 was much better! It just had way better feel when you were driving it. Dirt doesn't handle at all well.

Graphics wise they are incredible but they don't handle. Dirt as a rally game is terrible so when I play it I just play Pikes Peak hillclimb in Monsters Suzuki.

All said and done I am confident though that Codies will get it right this time with F1. They have put craploads of effort into F1 as it's one of those games that can make or break them. They've admitted F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and if they get it wrong it will work against them hugely. In addition they are well aware of what Sim players think of their arcade games like Grid..... great graphics, realism. All will be okay. ;)

ShiftingGears
28th April 2009, 08:44
I think I'd rather play Destruction Derby 2, to be honest.
uNm9AQuscag&feature=related

christophulus
28th April 2009, 08:58
I think I'd rather play Destruction Derby 2, to be honest.

Now that takes me back, think we got it free with our first ever computer :eek:

I'm optimistic about this but to be honest, I'd prefer Grand Prix 5 - really can't fault that series as an F1 sim :up:

AndyRAC
28th April 2009, 09:12
Could not agree more.

I've been following the codies F1 forum and there have been a number of posts and even a thread by the guys who are making the game.... the actual project lead.

In short the game will be a Sim but will also have 'quick race' and other elements for those who like arcade. Quick race and such are also fantastic for the Sim racer who has a few mates over on Friday night and one wants a run around Monaco.

Codies have said they are spending a lot of time on creating the full race weekend. This will include all prac and a qual sessions as well as realism with KERS and others systems.

I own both Dirt and Grid and to be frank with you.... they're preety bad. Colin McRae 05 was much better! It just had way better feel when you were driving it. Dirt doesn't handle at all well.

Graphics wise they are incredible but they don't handle. Dirt as a rally game is terrible so when I play it I just play Pikes Peak hillclimb in Monsters Suzuki.

All said and done I am confident though that Codies will get it right this time with F1. They have put craploads of effort into F1 as it's one of those games that can make or break them. They've admitted F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and if they get it wrong it will work against them hugely. In addition they are well aware of what Sim players think of their arcade games like Grid..... great graphics, realism. All will be okay. ;)

I'd say Codies have lost the plot recently - the first 4-5 CMcRae games were good - DIRT is just a travesty of a game, same with GRID, the old TOCA/RaceDriver games were good, GRID isn't.

I'm sure they 'll make sure it's good - it will need both Sim and Arcade.

V12
28th April 2009, 09:40
I'm optimistic about this but to be honest, I'd prefer Grand Prix 5 - really can't fault that series as an F1 sim :up:

Come to think of it, anyone know what Geoff Crammond is up to these days? I think we're in the majority when we say that each of his series of games was definitely the standard-setter for its time.

woody2goody
28th April 2009, 10:18
Come to think of it, anyone know what Geoff Crammond is up to these days? I think we're in the majority when we say that each of his series of games was definitely the standard-setter for its time.

The Grand Prix games WERE Formula One weren't they.

I mean they had so many little things in, even from the very first one, that most F1 games of the late 90s and early 2000s didn't have. Even the very first Grand Prix game had kerbs that were different depending on the corner and circuit, and Sony didn't fully include those until F1 06!

Also the graphics, as far as I know were very good for the time in GP1, and even back then you could easily tell which circuit you were on. That game is how i learned all the tracks 'back in the day' :D

It still shows with so many people opting for a modded GP4 over F1 CE.

Codies will make sure this caters for the hardcore fan I'm sure.

philipbain
28th April 2009, 21:50

That's not a good thing.

If you want an F1 sim that is up to date and will always be up to date then rFactor on the PC is the place to go. There are excellent F1 mods for it (and unlike a lot of games with mods this game is all about the mods and designed as such) as well as mods for just about any kind of car racing you can imagine.

To get you started you can download a demo version from http://www.rfactor.net/ of the game that can then be purchased for the nominal price of £24.99. The mods and everything else you will ever need can be downloaded for free from http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ . Only word of warning is that to enjoy the game fully you will need a reasonably decent PC with a good and solid graphics card (though nothing too hardcore) and I can't emphasise enough the need for a steering wheel, preferably force feedback and preferably a Logitech G25, which whilst expensive is truly worth every penny.

As for the Codies F1 game, i'll wait and see, one of my favourite F1 games ever was made by Codemasters, but that was from a long time ago, it was called Slicks and was made for the Commodore 64, it featured 6 tracks, 6 different teams and worked on a top down view and it also used the points system for multiplayer, both of these elements were carried forward for the fantastic Micro Machines games on consoles.

UltimateDanGTR
29th April 2009, 07:27
I cant believe people are saying GRID is a bad game. ridiculous.

GRID doesnt aim to be a sim, nor does DIRT, They are both semi sim/arcade racers. and for that, They are both brilliant games. especially GRID, as semi sim/arcade racers go, its the greatest game on the planet ever in the history of everything in the world.

But I can understand why people dont like the games. Colin Mcrae o5 and Toca 3 were both semi sim games, and these newer games have gone down a different route to produce something more exciting and more for everybody.

also, races in GRID are epic, whereas Toca they're a bit dull as AI dont do much apart from drive.

I think the reason why dirt is so hated is because everybody loved the sim rallying, but now its more arcady hardcore fans have been put off. but its still a great game.

Now, if you want a sim racer, then wait till Need For Speed Shift. (yes I did just say need for speed and simulation in the same sentence, finally its going down the right route) or buy Ferrari challenge or supercar challenge.

if you want an epic racer, get GRID. if you want to race the streets, Burnout Paradise is legendary.

Grid is awesome. leave it alone. just because its different to TOCA doesnt mean its a bad game.

52Paddy
29th April 2009, 09:10
I cant believe people are saying GRID is a bad game. ridiculous.

GRID doesnt aim to be a sim, nor does DIRT, They are both semi sim/arcade racers. and for that, They are both brilliant games. especially GRID, as semi sim/arcade racers go, its the greatest game on the planet ever in the history of everything in the world.

I don't know whether I speak for many people here but, in my case, this sim/arcade mix doesn't work for me. I don't like arcade racing. And there are other people out there who just like authentic racing, nothing arcade or cheesy. When you consider the original TOCA games, and how they did a great job of modelling the 1997 and 1998 BTCC series, its hard to live with what Codies produce today. Sure, GRID has its audiences. But what gets up my wick is that Codies now get the licence for an F1 game, just going by their reputation. Their reputation has changed. They used to make fantastic race/rally games but have gradually been taken in to the hype of arcade racing, at the expense of the hardcore fan. For me GRID and DIRT was the last straw and now I'm just not happy to trust them to make a hardcore F1 racing sim. I just can't see them doing it.

But I can understand why people dont like the games. Colin Mcrae o5 and Toca 3 were both semi sim games, and these newer games have gone down a different route to produce something more exciting and more for everybody.
Grid is awesome. leave it alone. just because its different to TOCA doesnt mean its a bad game.

Everybody? Not entirely convinced. These later contraptions to come from Codies don't appeal to me in the slightest. The lifespan is just awful. I'd rather just do a full championship again in Toca 1 or 2, or just go back and play the first F1 licensed game on PS1. At this stage, so much can be put into games, that I would much rather a less is more approach. Realism should be the main thing on sim racing producers mind, in my opinion. Even in front of graphics and features. Then features like rules/regs, safety cars etc should be included. While a graphically great game looks fantastic, its not going to compensate for bad playability or lifespan.

also, races in GRID are epic, whereas Toca they're a bit dull as AI dont do much apart from drive.

In Toca 2 the AI would take swipes at you every now and then. And the AI even used to get dangerous driving warnings on occasions! You would also notice some drivers spinning off on their own accord. I loved the subtly of those games. Just those little things that happen out of the blue. Sure, the AI could be beaten easily by an adequate player of the game, but it didn't detract from the many years of fun I had (and still do have when I dig up the game again.)

I respect that you may like these later games Dan, but there are people out there who just want to race as authentically as possible. I'm sure Codies have the know-how to produce a really good F1 game, but I don't think they will.

Bezza
29th April 2009, 09:19
Codemasters know what they are doing - I'm gutted I have to wait till 2010 though for a decent racing game. Gran Turismo 5 also seems to be taking ages to be done.

urabus-denoS2000
29th April 2009, 10:09
I'm dissapointed just as you are,that's why I'm playing RBR for 3 years now (no SEGA rally or DIRT can change that)...

I actually understand them,arcade games are sold A LOT better than real sims...
Simulations are harder (I know people who stopped playing RBR after one day because it's too hard,while I'm sure that wouldn't happen with DIRT or any NFS) and they require additional gear for the real experience.

The only games I really enjoyed in the last 4 years as a hardcore fan were RBR and Gran Turismo 4. I enjoyed CMR 5 and WRC 3-4 but they aren't real sims

punter_S14
12th May 2009, 10:52
I was a bit disappointed when I heard codemasters were doing the next F1 game.
Their toca/v8 series has morphed very slowly from its first, undriveable effort.
The latest 2 have been ok but, to be honest, I lose interest with the plethora of crap cars (gran turismo etc)and have a MAJOR problem having to sit ridiculous licence tests & game unlocks over & over & over.
I would conservatively be a 30 time world champion, 100 time GP winner & 20 time touring car champ yet, they make me take silly lessons every time.
JUST GIVE ME THE F*CKEN CARS & TRACKS!!!
It really grates when I realise its inversely proportional to the road licence system in my country!
Game design/planning is another pet-hate; why have tyres that wont last more than a few laps? Does the driver have to always setup the car, are the pit-crews state-run department-of-idiots? (not to mention some of the pit dialogue!)
It seems to me they could make one game, then sell upgrades thereafter to suit demand for classes & cars & everyone wins.
Geoff Crammond's GP series on PC was King. Then it got bought out, re-hashed & burned.
What a pity.

punter_S14
12th May 2009, 10:57
In fact, rather than pissing me off with their childish tricks, they should be sending me a demo for approval!!
Spend money on another half-arsed effort, um... no.

N. Jones
12th May 2009, 14:20
Hmm...looks OK I guess but GP2 (the game, not the series) was still better :D
Well, a friend turned me on to GP4 as I've never played any of the other games in the series. Also, I found out that most PC gamers are playing rFactor now, a completely mod-able game. There are all sorts of different series and seasons within those series....

N. Jones
12th May 2009, 14:22
If you want an F1 sim that is up to date and will always be up to date then rFactor on the PC is the place to go. There are excellent F1 mods for it (and unlike a lot of games with mods this game is all about the mods and designed as such) as well as mods for just about any kind of car racing you can imagine.

To get you started you can download a demo version from http://www.rfactor.net/ of the game that can then be purchased for the nominal price of £24.99. The mods and everything else you will ever need can be downloaded for free from http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ . Only word of warning is that to enjoy the game fully you will need a reasonably decent PC with a good and solid graphics card (though nothing too hardcore) and I can't emphasise enough the need for a steering wheel, preferably force feedback and preferably a Logitech G25, which whilst expensive is truly worth every penny.

As for the Codies F1 game, i'll wait and see, one of my favourite F1 games ever was made by Codemasters, but that was from a long time ago, it was called Slicks and was made for the Commodore 64, it featured 6 tracks, 6 different teams and worked on a top down view and it also used the points system for multiplayer, both of these elements were carried forward for the fantastic Micro Machines games on consoles.

Yes! I had a demo of rFactor - it had the 2007 BMW-Sauber and the Nurburgring. What a game! I've never played a game so realistic.... I should go out and buy it but I'm having to much fun with GP4 and seeing Ralf leading the championship :laugh: (this being the 2001 season... I'm JPM).

N. Jones
12th May 2009, 14:25
I was a bit disappointed when I heard codemasters were doing the next F1 game.
Their toca/v8 series has morphed very slowly from its first, undriveable effort.
The latest 2 have been ok but, to be honest, I lose interest with the plethora of crap cars (gran turismo etc)and have a MAJOR problem having to sit ridiculous licence tests & game unlocks over & over & over.
I would conservatively be a 30 time world champion, 100 time GP winner & 20 time touring car champ yet, they make me take silly lessons every time.
JUST GIVE ME THE F*CKEN CARS & TRACKS!!!
It really grates when I realise its inversely proportional to the road licence system in my country!
Game design/planning is another pet-hate; why have tyres that wont last more than a few laps? Does the driver have to always setup the car, are the pit-crews state-run department-of-idiots? (not to mention some of the pit dialogue!)
It seems to me they could make one game, then sell upgrades thereafter to suit demand for classes & cars & everyone wins.
Geoff Crammond's GP series on PC was King. Then it got bought out, re-hashed & burned.
What a pity.
It did? What did the GP series turn into?

52Paddy
12th May 2009, 18:25
It did? What did the GP series turn into?

I presumed he meant companies bought the F1 licence.

N. Jones
12th May 2009, 18:34
Oh. Okay. I know EA had for a while and right when they decided to bow out they made a great game in F1 Challenge 99-02.

What I would really like to see is a career mode.

woody2goody
13th May 2009, 00:27
Yes! I had a demo of rFactor - it had the 2007 BMW-Sauber and the Nurburgring. What a game! I've never played a game so realistic.... I should go out and buy it but I'm having to much fun with GP4 and seeing Ralf leading the championship :laugh: (this being the 2001 season... I'm JPM).

A lot of people say the Rfactor F1 car is the best one in any game.

Would you say that would run on my laptop as I can run GTR2 ok.

foxystoat
13th May 2009, 08:11
You may be okay as rFactor isn't that demanding ,your best bet is to download the demo & try that as then you don't waste your money if it runs real bad.

N. Jones
13th May 2009, 12:35
A lot of people say the Rfactor F1 car is the best one in any game.

Would you say that would run on my laptop as I can run GTR2 ok.

Yeah, you should download the demo and give it a try first. Very cool game I must say.... once bought you can download any series out there for free if I am not mistaken.

truefan72
13th May 2009, 17:40
for my money F1-mania 2008pro is the best out there
from graphics, to sounds to the real physics aspect and telemetry. excellent job all around

foxystoat
14th May 2009, 08:58
for my money F1-mania 2008pro is the best out there
from graphics, to sounds to the real physics aspect and telemetry. excellent job all around

Is that F1mania 2008 mod for F1challenge ? If it is I agree it is a real good job the physics are great etc but the graphics aren't on a par with rFactor but still very good for a mod for a very old game.

truefan72
14th May 2009, 10:42
Is that F1mania 2008 mod for F1challenge ? If it is I agree it is a real good job the physics are great etc but the graphics aren't on a par with rFactor but still very good for a mod for a very old game.

yep that's what I'm talking about.

What I truly like is the online game play, of which a sizable community exist

foxystoat
14th May 2009, 15:08
I have just reinstalled F1c & F1mania2008 mod & it is a very good effort for sure.

steve_spackman
15th May 2009, 00:59
You may be okay as rFactor isn't that demanding ,your best bet is to download the demo & try that as then you don't waste your money if it runs real bad.

where can i download the demo?

N. Jones
15th May 2009, 03:04
where can i download the demo?

Right Here: http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=buyonline

gloomyDAY
3rd September 2010, 23:32
Bump!

http://formula1-game.com/

Who's going to buy it? I am and it comes out on the 21st of Sept.

gloomyDAY
3rd September 2010, 23:49
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9239.html

Made by a company named Codemasters and looks like crap.
I haven't seen graphics like that since 1992.

Glad it's not offered for the Xbox 360. :vader: I'm glad the graphics were tidied up a bit. :D

Xbox 360 for me, sir!

52Paddy
4th September 2010, 04:22
I bought rFactor a few weeks ago and am LOVING it :D I reckon F12010 can be put on the back boiler for a while.

Brown, Jon Brow
4th September 2010, 09:52
I'm getting a 360 just for this game. I will look forwards to taking you on xbox live.

ArrowsFA1
4th September 2010, 09:58
When I saw that Codemasters were doing the game I was a little worried, but everything I've seen since says this is going to be a corker. Xbox360 warming up for the 24th September :s mokin:

Y63R1QGmcHo

MrJan
4th September 2010, 10:15
I generally find F1 games a bit tedious so I'm not going to bother. I'm definitely getting WRC and possibly CoD:BO and maybe GT5 too (not sure that I can dedicate the time that Gran Turismo needs) so can probably do without spending cash on F1.

lcd
4th September 2010, 11:14
You F1 fans, may want to see this.
E8YZHhS0i1I

Francis44
4th September 2010, 11:32
Not really an F1 fan but really enjoyed the old games, not sure if I will pick this one.

lcd
4th September 2010, 11:44
Never been Into the F1 thing! Never understood that sport!
Is It an IQ Issue? :D

Dr. Krogshöj
4th September 2010, 13:17
Has this one been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_LHQFjyDI

truefan72
4th September 2010, 21:15

yep, is sorry I meant to say F1mania2010pro for F1 challenge

from time to time I consider getting rfactor, but always come back to F1mania, perhaps this new rfactor Hd version might change my mind, but then i would need to get a proper 22 inch HD monitor now, so ...perhaps not

truefan72
4th September 2010, 21:26

ok a couple of things bother me about this new game

1. is it a pure sim or is it designed for simplicity, ergo for the masses
2. can you do your own setups much like F1mania
3. how good is the physics of the game

I'm not sure I'll get it if it is too simplistic

maxter
4th September 2010, 22:36
It's not going to be a sim. With all aids off probably pretty challenging but the goal is obviously to attract as many of the hundreds of millions of F1 fans as possible, which sadly isn't done with a hardcore sim.

ShiftingGears
5th September 2010, 04:36

I'm not a fan of that section at turn 4. Besides from that, the circuits alright.

pino
5th September 2010, 06:04
I've already preordered and can't wait to play it :D

henzbelmont
5th September 2010, 06:28
I have seen this game personally and played with it on a trial basis. This is no better than grand theft auto! The designer should have made more collaborations with people on the industry.

Kevincal
5th September 2010, 23:10
Who needs a new F1 game when you have this awesome old one? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMC_QFm7akk

Ari
6th September 2010, 00:56
I have seen this game personally and played with it on a trial basis. This is no better than grand theft auto! The designer should have made more collaborations with people on the industry.

Muchly appreciate the input, but the manufacturers did. They have employed Anthony Davidson for the past 12 months or so to provide feedback into the way the game handles and operates.

From all the media and reports and reviews I've seen so far I would find it difficult to believe that it's not better than GTA.

Ari
6th September 2010, 00:58
I've already preordered and can't wait to play it :D

Same same! Cannot wait for it. I've just done the Ebay shuffle with my XBox 360 as well and upgraded to a HDMI one.

woody2goody
6th September 2010, 01:02
It's not going to be a sim. With all aids off probably pretty challenging but the goal is obviously to attract as many of the hundreds of millions of F1 fans as possible, which sadly isn't done with a hardcore sim.

According to the devs, and the early reviews, it's as challenging as you want to make it.

Having all driving aids off against Legend AI is enjoyable and realistic for the hardcore sim racers out there, whereas more casual players can have different aids, flashbacks and the like.

I can assure you, this will not be an easy game. Anthony Davidson was a key part of the dev team, so that tells me that it will be difficult to be competitive on the hardest difficulty levels, as Ant is a sim nut.

Codies have made the game to cater to any F1 fan out there, so nobody can put a 'sim' or 'arcade' label on it.

I've pre-ordered for PS3 anyway so I can't wait for the release! :)

henzbelmont
6th September 2010, 06:53
Muchly appreciate the input, but the manufacturers did. They have employed Anthony Davidson for the past 12 months or so to provide feedback into the way the game handles and operates.

From all the media and reports and reviews I've seen so far I would find it difficult to believe that it's not better than GTA.

You're probably right Ari. I stand corrected. :) http://www.onlinepokiegames.com.au/pokies-tips.php

maxter
6th September 2010, 11:07
According to the devs, and the early reviews, it's as challenging as you want to make it.

Having all driving aids off against Legend AI is enjoyable and realistic for the hardcore sim racers out there, whereas more casual players can have different aids, flashbacks and the like.

I can assure you, this will not be an easy game. Anthony Davidson was a key part of the dev team, so that tells me that it will be difficult to be competitive on the hardest difficulty levels, as Ant is a sim nut.

Codies have made the game to cater to any F1 fan out there, so nobody can put a 'sim' or 'arcade' label on it.

I've pre-ordered for PS3 anyway so I can't wait for the release! :)
What you say is all true and I'm sure it will be a great game, but it's hard if not impossible to make a game that fulfills every criteria for an arcade aswell as a hardcore sim without compromises, and since it will be made to be enjoyed by as many people as possible it's in the latter area that most of those compromises will be made.

The devs have said themselves that the final product won't be quite up there with for example rFactor in "sim level" (or whatever you want to call it), although quite close.

Either way, I'm sure it will be great for what it is and I can't wait to play it myself!

woody2goody
6th September 2010, 12:43
What you say is all true and I'm sure it will be a great game, but it's hard if not impossible to make a game that fulfills every criteria for an arcade aswell as a hardcore sim without compromises, and since it will be made to be enjoyed by as many people as possible it's in the latter area that most of those compromises will be made.

The devs have said themselves that the final product won't be quite up there with for example rFactor in "sim level" (or whatever you want to call it), although quite close.

Either way, I'm sure it will be great for what it is and I can't wait to play it myself!

I agree mate, it won't be rfactor like, but that's a good thing in many ways.

I love the fact that Codies have gone for a more consistent handling model, so that it allows the player to focus on pushing that little bit harder when needed, or to think about their strategy, using the front wing adjustment, etc.

As much as F1 mods for rFactor and GTR2 are very good to drive, I'd rather focus less on keeping the car on the track (unless it's in the wet), and focus more on how to build my race.

Like I say though, if Ant Davidson thinks it's good, then I'm sure it will be difficult enough for most of us :D

ShiftingGears
6th September 2010, 12:48
It'd be rad if it could be hooked up for a full grid of multiplayer.

woody2goody
6th September 2010, 12:58
It'd be rad if it could be hooked up for a full grid of multiplayer.

12 players online only I'm afraid.

ZEROX
6th September 2010, 14:55
12 players online only I'm afraid.

And it comes with several crash-players too ! :D

Bruce D
6th September 2010, 15:47
Yeah it's limited to 12 players but you can then fill the rest of the grid with AI cars apparently. That could make it really interesting...

Bezza
6th September 2010, 16:49
I'll be getting this game on the best platform of course the PS3.

Can't wait. Not had a decent F1 since F1 97 on PS1 and Grand Prix 3 on PC!

Bruce D
9th September 2010, 14:36
The manual for the game has been released:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/...f?t=1283965391

Reading through it I'm even more excited about getting the game. Sounds really awesome!

JRodrigues
9th September 2010, 15:02
The manual for the game has been released:

http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/...f?t=1283965391

Reading through it I'm even more excited about getting the game. Sounds really awesome!

link doesn't work

NeverKnow
9th September 2010, 15:13
The link should work now: http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/44310/F1_2010_G4W_Manual_US_v06.pdf?t=1283965391

Bruce D
9th September 2010, 15:22
It takes a long time to load cos it's the actual PDF file loading. Sorry I should have said that the first time.

Bruce D
9th September 2010, 15:42
Here's a better link - save the file from here

http://www.f1-manager.co.uk/F1_2010_G4W_Manual_US_v06.pdf

JRodrigues
9th September 2010, 15:43
The link should work now: http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/44310/F1_2010_G4W_Manual_US_v06.pdf?t=1283965391

UltimateDanGTR
9th September 2010, 16:44
Yeah it's limited to 12 players but you can then fill the rest of the grid with AI cars apparently. That could make it really interesting...

If this turns out to be true, I will be ecstatic.

Bruce D
9th September 2010, 18:48
Apparently it is. I did read an article about it some time ago and the guys were talking about having a race against 3 guys on LAN and the rest of the grid was AI and fighting the AI and real players at the same time. The game designer has also confirmed it on his Twitter page so I think it'll be a major feature.

UltimateDanGTR
9th September 2010, 18:59
Apparently it is. I did read an article about it some time ago and the guys were talking about having a race against 3 guys on LAN and the rest of the grid was AI and fighting the AI and real players at the same time. The game designer has also confirmed it on his Twitter page so I think it'll be a major feature.

I hope its not just LAN then, and is in fact on full online mode (though that would seem rather likely if it was on LAN)

I look foward to this, you have made my day ;)

woody2goody
9th September 2010, 23:23
Some review scores so far:

Official Playstation Mag UK: 9/10
Official Xbox Mag UK: 8/10
OXM Italia: 9.2/10
Gamesmaster Magazine: 9/10
The National (UAE): 5/5

Kevincal
10th September 2010, 00:38
So is the PS3 version a little better than the XB360 version? Any differences?

Hawkmoon
10th September 2010, 05:48
So is the PS3 version a little better than the XB360 version? Any differences?

They're both crap. Get it on PC? ;)

AJP
10th September 2010, 05:51
I havent done any gaming for over 5 years....

This F1 game has got me hook line and sinker...

now just to choose between xbox and PS3....

gloomyDAY
10th September 2010, 05:54
I havent done any gaming for over 5 years....

This F1 game has got me hook line and sinker...

now just to choose between xbox and PS3....I have an Xbox 360.

Go for the PS3! :)

maxter
10th September 2010, 10:06
Do the 360 even support force feedback wheels? Well maybe it does, but I'm pretty sure the market is bigger for the PS3 (Logitech and Fanatec, 'nuff said). So if you're buying a console for racing I'd probably say PS3.

MrJan
10th September 2010, 12:36
Do the 360 even support force feedback wheels? Well maybe it does, but I'm pretty sure the market is bigger for the PS3 (Logitech and Fanatec, 'nuff said). So if you're buying a console for racing I'd probably say PS3.

The xBox has a superb force feeback wheel. Feels very good and you can alter the settings so that it gets heavy when you are turning at low speeds. When I first got the wheel I had it on a strong setting and when the car (forgotten what game) hit something the wheel actually tore itself out of my hands :eek:

ArrowsFA1
10th September 2010, 12:46
F1 2010 vs. real life

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/f1-2010-vs-real-life

I am evil Homer
10th September 2010, 13:00
Tunnel way too bright....that's about my only criticism!!

Bruce D
10th September 2010, 14:24
Having read the manual twice yesterday and watched live timing for the F1 today I'm going bloody nuts for this game now. Come on 24th!!!

ArrowsFA1
13th September 2010, 08:15
g8F2QaVF5dg

AJP
13th September 2010, 08:30
g8F2QaVF5dg

At 2:55 it looks like Lewis hits the Ferrari in the same way and same corner as he did this weekend.....hahaha!!! how bazaar

Bruce D
13th September 2010, 08:55
He was practicing... ;)

bblocker68
13th September 2010, 18:03

Many of the Fanatec wheels are supported by the 360. The Microsoft wheel is garbage.

I have different wheel and pedal combos (DFTG, ECCI, Bodnar Box), so it looks like I'll be playing on the PC version.

Allyc85
13th September 2010, 21:12
Pre-ordered mine for the xbox 360 earlier, cant wait!

maxter
13th September 2010, 23:56
Many of the Fanatec wheels are supported by the 360. The Microsoft wheel is garbage.

I have different wheel and pedal combos (DFTG, ECCI, Bodnar Box), so it looks like I'll be playing on the PC version.
Oh okay, cool then. In that case choose whichever console you want. I would probably check the market for other games I might be interested in to decide between the two, cause for F1 2010 alone I don't think it will matter all that much. Both will be awesome.

I'm a PC gamer myself and I'll stick to that. :)

jonny hurlock
14th September 2010, 00:53
I'm getting it on PS3, is it coming onto iPhone out of interested, got the F1 09 version.

Ari
14th September 2010, 01:06
I have the Microsoft Wireless xbox 360 wheel at the moment, but agree that for F1 I think an upgrade is the way to go.

I'm thinking about getting the Fanatec Porsche wheel? Anyone have it on 360? Is it that much better than the MS wheel?

Bruce D
14th September 2010, 06:24
g8F2QaVF5dg

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it. It's a pity we didn't see their "proper race" afterwards as I think Lewis and Nic would make a spectacular online race. I'd also love to see a online race between Lewis, Heikki and Adrian as they say they do very often. I wonder what game they currently use, probably rFactor.

pino
14th September 2010, 07:42
10 more days for this :bounce:

CaptainRaiden
14th September 2010, 07:48
Well, I pre-ordered mine a week ago as well! Can't wait. I'm getting it for the PC, because we all know the PC version is going to look much better than either PS3 or Xbox360. :D

Below is a video of the comparison of the game with a real lap.

Real F1 Lap vs F1 2010

CGc-NEAMOMk

It doesn't look like a proper sim to me, seems a bit too easy. But well, we'll never know until we play it. Hopefully it's at least somewhere near rFactor.

CaptainRaiden
14th September 2010, 07:52
Also posting two gameplay videos that Bruce D posted on the other F1 2010 thread in the Simulations forum.

Jenson Button onboard at Spa

WC4yOaOv9So

And in wet

1dm1PWu-tlQ

Better to watch them on Youtube in 720p HD.

Bruce D
14th September 2010, 08:51
X-ecutioner, maybe we should hook up online some time then. ;)

pino
14th September 2010, 09:15
Also posting two gameplay videos that Bruce D posted on the other F1 2010 thread in the Simulations forum.

Jenson Button onboard at Spa

WC4yOaOv9So

And in wet

1dm1PWu-tlQ

Better to watch them on Youtube in 720p HD.

So real and exciting :up:

CaptainRaiden
14th September 2010, 11:51
X-ecutioner, maybe we should hook up online some time then. ;)

That'd be great! Hopefully my Momo will be a match for your G25. :D Anyway, it'd be a lot of fun. In fact, I was thinking of maybe getting some guys together to have races online once a week or something, of course non-cheaters, serious racers. Wouldn't that be something?

Next step: To get some effing time out of the work schedule for this. :eek:

ArrowsFA1
14th September 2010, 12:35
Brand new official night race F1 2010 trailer

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/f1-2010-exclusive-night-race-footage?size=hd

Bruce D
14th September 2010, 13:19
That'd be great! Hopefully my Momo will be a match for your G25. :D Anyway, it'd be a lot of fun. In fact, I was thinking of maybe getting some guys together to have races online once a week or something, of course non-cheaters, serious racers. Wouldn't that be something?

Next step: To get some effing time out of the work schedule for this. :eek:

Sounds great, we'll organise better once we're all up and running.

Bruce D
17th September 2010, 10:06
HAHA! Just showed my friend at work that comparison video of Monaco in the wet vs real life. He watched it for a bit and then I said "the top one is the game btw" and he just said "WHAT??? It's more real than the real life one!!!" And this is a guy that watches every F1 race...

I am evil Homer
17th September 2010, 12:21
I hope I can change the voice...that's really, really annoying. The tyre squeal also seems a little over the top.

But the physics and track modelling look different class. Great work

Rodster
17th September 2010, 12:45
The first review is out and it got high marks !

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1120745p1.html

Bruce D
17th September 2010, 15:21
@ I am evil homer - apparently the tyre squeal has been removed but I can't confirm this. I haven't noticed it on any later released videos so I guess it is.

Just got news from my shop that all supplies of F1 2010 to South Africa have been delayed to the 30th September due to "delays"! :( Hopefully they can sort that out and I can get it a little bit earlier than that. Ironically Friday was beginning to not suit me so it's ok.

I am evil Homer
17th September 2010, 15:31
That's good to hear....esp when it's an on board view (aka driver)...you couldn't hear that in real life!

CaptainRaiden
17th September 2010, 15:58
That's good to hear....esp when it's an on board view (aka driver)...you couldn't hear that in real life!

I'd have to disagree. Maybe you can't hear that on the TV broadcast, but I've driven a single-seater race car for a couple of laps (of course, nowhere near the level of F1), and I could hear the tyres squealing almost on every tight corner. You can hear this very distinctively on fast karts as well. Proper racing karts like Tony Kart or Rotax, not the usual local fun-drive 4bhp ones.

I'm sure a lot of Ant Davidson's input went into the game. However, since Codies can't duplicate the sounds accurately, maybe they'll remove it. I for one like it, gives the game a bit more authenticity.

Just got news from my shop that all supplies of F1 2010 to South Africa have been delayed to the 30th September due to "delays"! :( Hopefully they can sort that out and I can get it a little bit earlier than that. Ironically Friday was beginning to not suit me so it's ok.

That's bad news man. I pre-ordered it via Steam. It's available to pre-load now. That means they'll download all the game files to my hard drive now, and I'll be able to play it on the 24th as soon as they give me the key after the release.

Bruce D
17th September 2010, 18:06
Oh man, you download the whole thing and then sit and wait for them to give you a code to run it. That would just drive me ever so slightly nuts!! :p

CaptainRaiden
17th September 2010, 20:11
Oh man, you download the whole thing and then sit and wait for them to give you a code to run it. That would just drive me ever so slightly nuts!! :p

That's why I haven't started downloading yet. :D I'm already going nuts. Although, if I preload now, I get much higher speeds (2 MBPS) compared to the release day. Can't friggin wait to wipe the dust off my steering wheel and put laps around Spa. :eek:

i_max2k2
17th September 2010, 20:27
I'm so waiting for this, and it seems Gran Turismo 5 will be out pretty soon too, and guys I'd love to join online for races, I did do some on PS3 with F1 2006, which was kind of fun, till people started cheating.

Bruce D
18th September 2010, 10:13
i_max2k2 if we do run online races I think we'd announce something here. You can take up to 12 people at a time so it could be cool to have a little Motorsport Forums online section for anyone to race anyone at any time. I was thinking yesterday that the time difference between me and X-ecutioner could make finding a nice time difficult.

Neil J
19th September 2010, 20:52
Have I missed something, where`s the demo?

UltimateDanGTR
19th September 2010, 21:15
Have I missed something, where`s the demo?

There's not one.

This irritates me as well, though there is a valid excuse i believe.

Neil J
19th September 2010, 21:26
There's not one.

Ah right thanks, I wasn`t too sure :)

ArrowsFA1
20th September 2010, 12:50
OS: Downloadable content is growing ever more popular with developers. I know you’re not a huge fan of this, but does Codemasters have any plans for DLC with this title, and if so, what are some of the possibilities going to be?

PJ: For the 2010 version, it is unlikely. We had some ideas, but it would have pulled some people off of the main project. All the ideas that we had for downloadable content are very much going to be a main focus for F1 2011. It’s all very much up to management, but we are looking at possibly some classic cars as well as some classic tracks. None of this is locked down yet as we wanted very much a full development team working on 2010, and it will [instead] be a focus for 2011.
http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=1132

Big Ben
20th September 2010, 14:39
There's not one.

what's the excuse?

I would have loved to test it first, see if my laptop can handle it.

ArrowsFA1
20th September 2010, 14:48
what's the excuse?

Due to the nature of the game, and its layers of licensed content, it will not be possible to make a cut-down, limited content sample that would serve as a demo for F1 in 2010 within our production deadlines.
Ian Webster, Community Manager for Codemasters

Big Ben
20th September 2010, 14:54
Ian Webster, Community Manager for Codemasters

Got it. Thank you.

CaptainRaiden
20th September 2010, 15:07
what's the excuse?

I would have loved to test it first, see if my laptop can handle it.

Here are the system requirements:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz or Athlon X2
Memory: 1 GB RAM (2 GB Vista® / Windows 7)
Hard Disk Space: 12.5 GB free hard drive space
Video: GeForce 7800 / Radeon X1800 or above
Sound: DirectX® Compatible Sound Card or motherboard audio
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows - Live.

To play online it says a login to Games for Windows - Live is required. The countries supported are here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/countries.htm

I was able to play with my Games For Windows Live ID in India, since it's supported, but I am right now in Romania, and hopefully my ID will work here. I don't understand why Romania is not on that list. It would really blow if I'm not able to play online. :mad:

I am evil Homer
20th September 2010, 15:39
TBH I think Codemasters is right in this one...get the 2010 game out, build a buzz then go with the DLC in 2011 as add ons. It would also be a minefiled of IP for classic cars etc and getting permissions.

MrJan
20th September 2010, 17:20
It looks awesome, had to get it for the 360 so that I can use a wheel as I reckon that'll really help the game. Only trouble now is that I'm going to see Erol Alkan on Friday night, staying away from home then watching Exeter City on Saturday and doing some motorsport on Sunday, if it doesn't come early then I'll be waiting until Monday to get my mits on it :eek:

gloomyDAY
20th September 2010, 20:29
Comes out tomorrow here in America!

Bruce D
20th September 2010, 20:35
Just a note on the system requirements. Apparently if you can run Colin McRae Dirt 2 on your system without problems then this game will run fine. Thats straight from the lead designer himself on his twitter page.

Now I only have a 2.2Ghz processor but Dirt2 runs fine on my PC (high-end brand manufacturers, really amazing what the difference in speed it is) so I'm going for it. Might have to run on Medium graphics but Dirt2 went for high setting straight away and ran smooth so we'll see.

i_max2k2
20th September 2010, 20:46
i_max2k2 if we do run online races I think we'd announce something here. You can take up to 12 people at a time so it could be cool to have a little Motorsport Forums online section for anyone to race anyone at any time. I was thinking yesterday that the time difference between me and X-ecutioner could make finding a nice time difficult.

I think it would be a great idea to have a subsection for the game, and I'm Mountain Time, shouldn't be much of a problem to co-ordinate the time. :) I'm gonna get a wheel soon as well :D

motetarip
20th September 2010, 21:51
..watching Exeter City on Saturday...

Like :up:

Ari
21st September 2010, 00:53
I think if I responded in an honest way to the above comment I might face a lifetime ban from this forum.. :p

hahahaha classic! :D

ArrowsFA1
21st September 2010, 08:37
Comes out tomorrow here in America!
Why is that :confused: Nothing against the US but they do seem to get a head start on games releases.

...the game launches in America, over the next few days across Europe and on Friday here in the UK.
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/428215-release-week-ramblings-thanks-t4rg4.html

Sleeper
21st September 2010, 17:53
Why is that :confused: Nothing against the US but they do seem to get a head start on games releases.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/428215-release-week-ramblings-thanks-t4rg4.html
Its particularly bizzar when you think that the Americans arent going to be anywhere near as interested in it as us Europeans.

UltimateDanGTR
21st September 2010, 20:07
ok then, who's preordered their copy?

amazon for me, they said first class delivery would result in arrival on september 24th (uk release day and dispatched on the 23rd) but apparently the estimated time of arrival is 23rd-28th september.

well that's lovely and clear isn't it....

MrJan
21st September 2010, 20:10
I think that I ordered with Amazon but only because they were cheaper. My brother ordered GT4 from them with the idea that he'd get it on the release date. After a week of waiting he cancelled the order and just went to a shop and bought it.

Daika
21st September 2010, 20:53
I read there is no split screen (2 player) racing. Would be nice to play in the same room with whoever dares to challenge me.

christophulus
21st September 2010, 21:40

amazon for me, they said first class delivery would result in arrival on september 24th (uk release day and dispatched on the 23rd) but apparently the estimated time of arrival is 23rd-28th september.

well that's lovely and clear isn't it....

I ordered mine last month from ShopTo. They've posted it today first class so if it turns up tomorrow... let's see.

A mate of mine has managed to download it through Steam already, but it did cost him £10 more for the privilege!

CaptainRaiden
21st September 2010, 23:57
A mate of mine has managed to download it through Steam already, but it did cost him £10 more for the privilege!

Unless your friend is American, I don't see how that's possible. Is he actually playing the game? In Europe, it's available only to pre-load on Steam, that means only the game files are downloaded, and you can't play until you enter a key which you'll get on the release day, which is 24th. I've pre-loaded the game myself, and don't see any £10 pound option on Steam to play now.

Maybe he torrented this one. :p

Bruce D
22nd September 2010, 06:40
Pre-ordered mine through a local shop. They've already informed me that I will be waiting until 30th for mine. :(

Some Dutch guys got theirs yesterday and sounds like all of them are having fun.

ArrowsFA1
22nd September 2010, 08:11
I ordered mine from the local Game store a while back. Will be picking it up first thing Friday then have a long weekend on Xbox live with breaks to watch the real thing!! :s mokin:

52Paddy
22nd September 2010, 10:10
I'm in between two minds whether or not to get this. It would be the PC version anyway. I'll wait for the feedback here :s mokin:

Sleeper
22nd September 2010, 14:43
If my copy doesn't arrive by the evening of the release day I shall be buying it from Asda where its the same price anyway (only realised that today) and sending the amazon order back when it arrives. I paid priority postage so will not be impressed if it arrives 4 days after its release.. :mark:
I went with Super saver as I hate paying extra for p+p, so it might be on time or a few days late.

UltimateDanGTR
22nd September 2010, 16:57
I read there is no split screen (2 player) racing.

to be fair, apart from motorstorm I believe, no next-gen racing games have split screen these days. and that is a real shame.

Daika
22nd September 2010, 19:47
to be fair, apart from motorstorm I believe, no next-gen racing games have split screen these days. and that is a real shame.

Last time i played a race game (sort of) was Super Mario Kart and that has a 2 playermode. Those were the days. I stopped playing video games after the super nintendo. Untill now F1 2010.

Ari
23rd September 2010, 03:43
Well I got the game last night and had my setup organised and ready to go.

Plugged the game in ready to be wowed.... and, well, I wasn't. I thought it was 'okay' but wasn't awesome.

Graphics were 'okay' but not as good as I expected.

I ran it on the greatest AI difficulty at Monaco first up which probably wasn't the wisest of choices. Maybe an easier setting in Melbourne or Monza would have been better.

On my 360 with an MS Racing Wheel I managed a 1:24 at Monaco..... but I only played it maybe 45 mins tops. Still a long way to getting used to the thing.

So it was fun, but it will take a good bit of getting used to. I only had it on for an hour last night. The GF's mum needed me to go over and change a light bulb first (argh!) and then by the time I got back, had dinner and put together the table stand for my new screen it was about 10.30 odd!!

Will get back into it tonight, a bit earlier than that, and see how it goes!

So fun, but not world conquering. One of the reviews I read said "this is no Forza 3" which kinda disappointed me. I love Forza 3 and was hoping F1 2010 may be even better, but it wasn't.

My setup:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/arifromoz/9a003e4d.jpg

CaptainRaiden
23rd September 2010, 07:38
The setup looks good Ari, but isn't the chair a bit too low? I'm thinking the steering wheel would be a bit too high.

Anyway, there are some gameplay videos out on YouTube now. All noob drivers:

ltbFAPa9W6s

LiyKYvw15PA

Ut682Gx6ymY

I don't know why an F1 game has to sound like Splinter Cell. I definitely don't like the music. I'm hoping the game is gonna be fun with all driving aids turned off, because it seems too easy with them on. But well, all in all, looks like fun. If I'm lucky and catch some time off work and am not too tired, I'll be playing it tomorrow evening. :)

pino
23rd September 2010, 07:42
Nice setup Ari.. ;)
There's no way in the world my wife would allow me anything like that unfortunately. :(

Time to get a new wife then :p :

Ari
23rd September 2010, 08:09
Nice setup Ari.. ;)
There's no way in the world my wife would allow me anything like that unfortunately. :(
I'm fortunate we have two spare rooms. One with a double bed in it and the other we use as a washing airing room. I had to ask nicely, but it's in the corner of that room. I'm leaning over and in between clothes racks to take that photo! :p

So the game isn't great eh? Sad to hear, although maybe the graphics will be slightly better on PS3, well I'm hoping.
It was okay. I'm going to give it a better shot tonight so should know more by then! :)

PS Is that a bag of cannabis on the floor to the left of the unit Ari? lol
You need it to live in my house!! :D

No, it's actually the plastic wrap taken off the game.

Ari
23rd September 2010, 08:10
The setup looks good Ari, but isn't the chair a bit too low? I'm thinking the steering wheel would be a bit too high.

Nah it's perfect. Just looks a little high in that photo maybe.....

52Paddy
23rd September 2010, 08:13
I gave up trying to keep up with high specced gaming PC's years ago. I found it easier just to buy a console where every game thats released is designed to be played on that specific unit.. :)

I understand your point. But I'm a PC gamer at heart and those "issues" don't apply to me. When it comes to racing games, I get a lot from the amount of flexibility that PC gaming brings, even if there are limits involved when it comes to software. As my Da says, "Horses for Courses!"

ArrowsFA1
23rd September 2010, 09:05
RGARRu-9tTs

Only 24hrs to wait :p

Bruce D
23rd September 2010, 10:58
Try 7 days for me... :(

I'm secretly hoping for an email from the game shop today saying they have stock and I can come and get it today.

ArrowsFA1
23rd September 2010, 10:59
Different release dates. Don't you just love 'em. NOT!!

CaptainRaiden
23rd September 2010, 11:13

I'm secretly hoping for an email from the game shop today saying they have stock and I can come and get it today.

Tough luck bro. Maybe you can still cancel the order and download it through Steam and play tomorrow evening. It's only 7 GB, so will get downloaded overnight. ;)

Different release dates. Don't you just love 'em. NOT!!

Yep, and I also don't understand why America got the preference. I'd like to know their reasoning behind it, especially since Codies is a British studio. And it wasn't even a few hours or a day, but 3 friggin days! They also made Dirt 2 to appeal to the American audience, and most probably Dirt 3 will go the same way, which is such a pity because with their resources they can make an amazing proper rally game.

ArrowsFA1
23rd September 2010, 11:21
Yep, and I also don't understand why America got the preference...
About the only reason I've ever seen is that traditionally (?!!) their release day for games is a Tuesday and in the UK it is a Friday.

:dozey:

CaptainRaiden
23rd September 2010, 11:27
About the only reason I've ever seen is that traditionally (?!!) their release day for games is a Tuesday and in the UK it is a Friday.

:dozey:

Well, then they could have released it the Friday before. :p

Bruce D
23rd September 2010, 11:57
Tough luck bro. Maybe you can still cancel the order and download it through Steam and play tomorrow evening. It's only 7 GB, so will get downloaded overnight. ;)

Would love to but in my lovely 3rd world country I live in that 7 GB is more than double my already expensive 3GB cap limit which I share with my wife's business and would cost a fortune in penalties to pay. Plus the fact that the fastest download speed I've seen at home is 40kb/s and you can see why I'll just wait for the disc. What will tick me off completely is if I walk around a shop this weekend and see it on the shelf (I'm intending to do this, just to make sure). It's supposed to be all of SA that is hit with the delay.

MrJan
23rd September 2010, 12:16
I pre-ordered this on amazon (paying the £2 for 1st class) and just got an e-mail saying "we've dispatched your order - estimated delivery date 25th September". Are they seriously telling me that I won't get it on the release date, despite pre-ordering? I'm seriously fed up with Amazon, the service is ****.

Bruce D
23rd September 2010, 12:48
My experience of Amazon, you'd be lucky you get it on the 25th too. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as I do.

Bagwan
23rd September 2010, 13:40
Holey cow , dudes . You guys are seriously jonesing for this game , eh ?

I used to have the time to do pc racing . Maybe some day I'll get back to it .
I hope it lives up to expectations .

I and 4 or 5 of my friends had a really great rivalry going on with GP3 in my little town .
We had a tot board of all the top times and positions for the different circuits , so off season , we ran at those to take honours in ten lap races , starting at the back of the pack .
All races had to be witnessed by another member of the group .

During the season , we ran just at the upcoming tracks , both to familiarize ourselves again with the surroundings , to enhance the viewing of the real race , and to make it more like a real season .

I had one buddy get me a seat of of an old Mazda in a wrecking yard , fitted up with a wooden base for my birthday one year .
I am sitting on it as I write this .
It's great , and cheap , and easy , and just the best for this purpose as it's fully adjustable , to fit different drivers .
I highly recommend it .

I do understand all this jonesing .
It can be big fun .

I hope it's good , because you guys are going to be mighty depressed if it isn't .

Daika
23rd September 2010, 14:01
If in the game you are Alonso teammate, does at one point in the race the engineer says "Ehm, Fernando is faster...than you. Can you confirm it?"

Wouldn't that be super realistic.

I am evil Homer
23rd September 2010, 14:19
Only if you choose the response: "tell the cheat I'm not slowing down, or putting it in the wall to accomodate his immense ego"

Bruce D
23rd September 2010, 14:22
I'd give the engineer the bird as I go past and drive faster!

@Bagwan - nothing wrong with GP3, although the new-age people would consider the graphics dated. I still think it had the best AI I've ever seen in a F1 game, the way they defended their positions was amazing. In GP4 they weren't that aggressive.

MrJan
23rd September 2010, 14:22
If in the game you are Alonso teammate, does at one point in the race the engineer says "Ehm, Fernando is faster...than you. Can you confirm it?"

I would sh*t my brain out if that happened, it'd be awesome :D

Macd
23rd September 2010, 14:52

Forza 3 does and GT5 will I think.

Allyc85
23rd September 2010, 16:12
I pre-ordered this on amazon (paying the £2 for 1st class) and just got an e-mail saying "we've dispatched your order - estimated delivery date 25th September". Are they seriously telling me that I won't get it on the release date, despite pre-ordering? I'm seriously fed up with Amazon, the service is ****.

My ETA from Amazon is tomorrow, surely it cant take an extra day to get a bit further west? :p :p

Still some people who ordered it with shopto have got theirs already and excpets for the muppets who expected it to be an ubber sim they are saying it is very good! Cant wait!

edit: apart from a pit lane glitch which keeps you in there for ages

Bagwan
23rd September 2010, 16:51
I'd give the engineer the bird as I go past and drive faster!

@Bagwan - nothing wrong with GP3, although the new-age people would consider the graphics dated. I still think it had the best AI I've ever seen in a F1 game, the way they defended their positions was amazing. In GP4 they weren't that aggressive.

Yeah , GP4 was a great disappointment .
I had to upgrade the graphics card , and traded in the old one to make it run , and then GP3 wouldn't , so I was stuck with it .
That sucked , and was the beginning of the end for the series for all of us as we up-graded .

And , as for the team order , wouldn't it be more fun to turn your AI team-mate into the bushes as you "let him past" ?

christophulus
23rd September 2010, 18:23

The thing I always find with Amazon is that the orders turn up a day before they predict it will, probably makes them look better, I dunno.

My one from Shopto is here now so I'll go play it and report back :)

woody2goody
23rd September 2010, 19:29
Got F1 2010 today on the PS3 and it's brilliant.

So far I've done three races of my career, starting in the Virgin:

Bahrain: Qual: 20th Race: 23rd
Australia: Qual: 19th Race: 22nd
Malaysia: Qual: 16th Race: 23rd

All I can say is the handling is very realistic, the AI is smart and in general I'm having a lot of fun with it. Waited 3 and a half years for a new F1 game on console and it's lived up to the expectations already.

A couple of little bugs which will be patched but other than that go out and buy the bloody thing! :D

UltimateDanGTR
23rd September 2010, 19:52
I got mine today too and I think its a great game. Only got an ETA from Amazon yesterday stating delivery on the 25th and it came early.. Result.. By that thinking you guys should get yours tomorrow, with any luck.. :)

my eta is 25th september...which is promising, considering my eta for 'four lions' on dvd was estimated today but arrived yesterday, from amazon again.

fingers crossed for tommorrow then :)

MrMetro
23rd September 2010, 19:56

ha-ha, now that would be realistic!

schmenke
23rd September 2010, 21:24
For those who have tried it, how realistic (if any) are the car set-up options? I.e. adjustments for things like aero set-up, tire pressures, suspension, etc.?

POS_Maggott
24th September 2010, 04:31
My biggest problem is the friggin graphics! They're pretty and all, but the cars, waaaaaaaaaay too shiny! Once they get more than a few car lengths away, I can't tell what is in front of me, it's just a big glare with tires...

AJP
24th September 2010, 07:05
Indeed Pino, but I've only had this one for 4 weeks.. :p :)

Congratulations mate....

gloomyDAY
24th September 2010, 07:14
Indeed Pino, but I've only had this one for 4 weeks.. :p :) Oh, wow! I didn't know you were married.

Felicidades.

52Paddy
24th September 2010, 08:27
Indeed Pino, but I've only had this one for 4 weeks.. :p :)

Congrats bud!

Hang in there :p :

Allyc85
24th September 2010, 13:45
Ive got it and ive got to say so far, I BLOODY LOVE IT :D

Just done a race around Bahrain with the inside bollard from the last corner wedged inbetween my front wing and suspension lol. The handling is tricky and at the moment dosnt really suit my style as im used to launching it over the kerbs which now causes spins, but that is realistic I suppose!

Well done Codemasters!

MrJan
24th September 2010, 16:35
I hate that I'll probably get home to find this on the doormat but will pretty much have to leave my house immediately and then spend next to no time at home until this time on Monday evening :( weeeaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkk

Daika
24th September 2010, 18:03
I find this game very hard with all the driving aids on. Should i get a wheel instead of a controller? I just wanna do a quick race, why do i have to choose a dozen tracks for a entire season?

christophulus
24th September 2010, 18:31
I set up my old wheel and it's brilliant, if a little easy. Went straight onto hard mode and finished 10th for Lotus in Bahrain!

As a side note, that Bahrain extension is truly awful. No flow to it whatsoever. Glad they've dumped it for next year.

#1JamesThompsonFan
24th September 2010, 22:10
I found Bahrain to be very frustrating as a circuit and with the controller. Need a wheel!

25th September 2010, 02:25
7d3JEqvmUgs

Warriwa
25th September 2010, 03:47
I love this game. I'm still trying to get used to my engineer's voice. He sounds exactly like Bear Grills.

UltimateDanGTR
25th September 2010, 08:00
fantastic game. the handling is tricky but fun, just like it should be. getting an F1 car round the track cleanly is a rewarding challenge lap on lap.

going from 13th to 1st in abu dhabi with robert kubica has been a particular highlight so far.

truefan72
25th September 2010, 11:32
ok you guys have me sold.

On to best buy to get a ps3 and this game

52Paddy
25th September 2010, 16:29
I just ordered my copy from Gameseek. Should arrive early next week :) Looking forward to playing this. The only bad thing is that it will take up 12.5GB of hard disk space. Perhaps it's time to buy an external HD.

steveaki13
25th September 2010, 20:27
I did one full distance quick race at Bahrain, and all 24 finished, only Di Grassi was lapped and Trulli finished ahead on Button in 12th and the other new teams were racing ahead of the mid field all race. :p :crazy:

POS_Maggott
26th September 2010, 03:00
My honeymoon with the game is over...

After giving it more time, cracks started to appear big time. First off, more grip with slicks while it raining than with wets. That's a pretty weird one, but something that can be patched out.

Next, the pit road issues. First, the lollypop man is asleep, but that's just an annoyance. However, watch your postition through stops and the lap times of cars around you...

Running 5th at Sepang, I pitted. I was 7sec clear of 6th place, and running 1-2sec faster than them. After pit stops had cycled through, with a 4.5sec stop and running the same laptimes as before, I ended up in 17th?

I went over to the codemasters forum, and saw the threads... There is one thread with 20+ pages about these issues, and it reveals that the laptimes/positions of the AI cars aren't related at all to what the car is physically doing on the track... People are noticing cars posting lap times that are multiple seconds faster than them in qualifying, despite catching those cars on the lap that was recorded... Obviously impossible. Check the thread out, play the game again and see what you notice...

Taken from the thread:

"I just tired this at the hairpin after the long back strait in China. Parked my car up right on the apex. Vettel then came in and practically stopped, clipping my front wing as he turned around me. His time then came up as provisional pole and (well it was the first lap in the session) marginally quicker than the one he'd posted in Q1. Proves the theory about AI qualifying times being fabricated as being 100% accurate."

UltimateDanGTR
26th September 2010, 09:23
there are clear bugs in the game like the one mentioned above. Ive seen a few too, like myself grabbing provisional pole in Bahrain but knowing It was a poor lap and as a result a couple of seconds slower than what it said.

When/If codemasters fix these problems though it will be much better.

26th September 2010, 11:50
had a weird encounbter too in the game, this is what happened.

Sitting in my car in the garage checking out the weather to see what tires i want on my car, i see that the weather looks good, clear sky, dry and a temperature of 30 degree Celsius (also looked visually outside the garage and it looked like the info said) , well looks like i put on my slicks then, wrooonng when i went out it was raining, so had to go back to the pits and change my tires to intermediates , ahhhhrrrr

steve_spackman
26th September 2010, 13:38
had a weird encounbter too in the game, this is what happened.

Sitting in my car in the garage checking out the weather to see what tires i want on my car, i see that the weather looks good, clear sky, dry and a temperature of 30 degree Celsius (also looked visually outside the garage and it looked like the info said) , well looks like i put on my slicks then, wrooonng when i went out it was raining, so had to go back to the pits and change my tires to intermediates , ahhhhrrrr

could it be the dynamic weather?

26th September 2010, 14:52
could it be the dynamic weather?

i think it is but when i am in the garage ready for racing i should see on the info screen an up to date weather forecast, it cannot be that my screen says clear sky , 30 degree etc etc and when i drive out it is raining and the tracks looks like it is raining already for a few hours, how am i suppose to set up my car if i do not have an accurate weather forecast. dynamic weather is good but my engineers should tell me if it is raining right now otherwise what is the use of the engineers.

steveaki13
26th September 2010, 15:27
The very wet weather is quite tricky. It certainly looks realistic even if some expert gamers on here think the handling in the very wet weather is not as challenging as it should be.

I am not great at these games so can't judge the realism on the highest levels.

steveaki13
26th September 2010, 15:30
One other question

Do any cars retire unless you crash into them?

I am doing a single GP season for Renault and after two races one in heavey rain no one has retired.

Also all the cars appear to be to even on pace. The new teams battle high up the field.

In Autsralia a AI Lotus Qualified 9th.

steveaki13
26th September 2010, 15:33
A couple of bugs I have found.

Coming into the pits in the race ahead of a Williams, I slowed for the speed limit line a bit to early and the Williams turned into a ghost car and drove through me and into the pits.

Mid way into a wet Australia race I saw on the circuit map about 7 cars in the pits and assumed there had been a mass crash, but when I pitted 7 laps later all the cars were just sitting in the pit lane stopped and my Car was blocked and I had to retire.

So clearly a lot of problems already.

Rodster
26th September 2010, 16:14
A couple of bugs I have found.

Coming into the pits in the race ahead of a Williams, I slowed for the speed limit line a bit to early and the Williams turned into a ghost car and drove through me and into the pits.

Mid way into a wet Australia race I saw on the circuit map about 7 cars in the pits and assumed there had been a mass crash, but when I pitted 7 laps later all the cars were just sitting in the pit lane stopped and my Car was blocked and I had to retire.

So clearly a lot of problems already.

How about this bombshell: F1 2010 is a fraud and Codie's couldn't take the heat so they shut down the thread !

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/431006-confirmed-race-ai-phoney.html

Confirmed Race AI is Phoney

Proof
Just raced on Bahrain and started in sixth. At the end of the 1st lap i was second. My lap time was 2:03. Webber was in first, he was at most a second a head on track yet his lap time was 2:00. The big issue was Kubica. He was 3rd, yet his lap time was 1:59. This is impossible. There is no way that on the first lap Kubica can go round the track 1 second quicker than Webber, 4 seconds quicker than me and still end up in 3rd at the end of said lap.

If the AI we see on the track are not posting the lap times and just populated like cars in GTA that would explain lots of the issues I have with the game

No split times - cause the AI isnt actually lapping

Strange AI pit stops(questioning whether the AI has made a pit stop)

No penalties for the AI

This game is a time trial with the AI just there to act as blockers of the racing line. The AI difficulty isnt how well they drive just how aggressively they defend the racing line. Should really have expected this from a game based on a rally engine.

POS_Maggott
26th September 2010, 16:27
That's the same thread that I posted about, I figured they shut it down, but about 20 threads have taken it's place over there...

About the new teams battling at the front, seems they've developed it so the performance of the car will depend on where it's placed in the grid, or which position it's racing for.

Try getting a McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari at the back of the pack and it won't be able to progress through the field at all... in fact, they're commonly passed by the new teams. But, once a new team gets up towards the top 10, they suddenly find bursts of speed. I had a race where Chandhok started on the final row of the grid, through pit stops cycled to the lead (short race so the pack was closer together) and suddenly started running times equaling the Red Bulls and McLarens that were there. Chandhok finished 3rd in that race, based entirely off the times he started running when he took the lead...

As for the dynamic weather, it's a crock. Qualifying in China, Q1, it's nice and sunny. Q2, it's POURING (with a 4% chance of rain, might I add) so I figure in Q3, I should expect the same. Without looking, I throw on full wets and head to the track where... it's... completely dry. No wet track, not even damp. Dry.

I hope they send the real copy of the game once I'm done with the beta though... that'd be nice.

steveaki13
26th September 2010, 16:37
Apart from looking quite good. It appears the fundamentals of the game are crocked and rubbish.

All that time and proposals and they don't put effort into the intricate details and it ends up dissapointing nearly everyone.

52Paddy
26th September 2010, 16:39
I'm expecting that update patches will be available in due time so I'm not worrying too much about these teething problems yet. That said, I probably won't receive my copy until mid next week :cheese:

Rodster
26th September 2010, 17:05
Here's the potential reason why some like myself (PC version) have experienced severe and massive slowdowns. It appears a massive 2GB replay file is being accessed or written to which results in a catastrophic drop in FPS. Codie's has issued a temporary solution, don't know if they'll fix it this year.

http://segmentnext.com/2010/09/23/f1-2010-errors-crashes-freezes-fixes/

"3# Frame Skips, Low FPS, Lag

PC version of the game may be experiencing all this due to a massive replay file, too much data writing occurs on that file causing the lag and frame skips, when you go back to the game after having watched a replay.
You can find the file here."

steveaki13
26th September 2010, 18:28
:rotflmao:

I know I have already posted about this, but I had to fill you in.

Firstly let me explain I am not very good at these games.

I started a full season as Vitaly Petrov (No Reason), at Medium difficulty. I enjoyed the 1st round in Bahrain it all went fine.

Round 2 in Australia and I find the games a shame.

I have been playing it on and off today.

I start the race in the dry from 4th and after 5 laps it begins to rain. For the next 10 laps we all run on dry tyres while the circuit is awash with water with no spins or slidding just full grip.

We pit for Inters and resume, I then notice alot of cars in the pit lane stopped. (The first time I raced this race I reset because of this glitch and now I find it does it again).

So I carry on with inters as if I stop for wets I will get trapped in the pits. After a while I spin a few times and run 13th. I now lap 3 cars 5 times in 20 laps. Hispania, Virgin and Hamilton??? :confused:
These cars are running around with their pit limiters on. :eek:

While I get lapped myself. I decide I have had enough and pit and sure enough I stop in a que of cars in the pits race over I can't reverse or crash thats it.

I look at an instant replay and see a Williams had crashed into a ferrari exiting the pits (like in Hungary with Kubica and Rosberg).

7 other cars just sit there and look at them for the rest of the race, leaving my race to be over.

It makes me wonder if this glitch arrives after 2 races, what will the rest of the season hold.

One final point, I crashed into about 4 cars once I got bored and only damaged my nose, the AI cars just drove off is this right.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to vent my concerns. :dozey:

christophulus
26th September 2010, 20:29
It's not perfect, but I'm enjoying it. Although I'm finding "Hard" too easy - another easy 9th place for Lotus - and "Expert" far too tricky.

Plus the teams need rebalancing, Hispania are constantly challenging for points and Williams are often near the back. And it's too easy to drive in the wet even with traction control off. The damage modelling is pretty awful too but I think that's a consequence of their licence from FOM or whoever.

Hopefully they'll patch it up soon. For a first attempt though, it's not too bad.

CaptainRaiden
27th September 2010, 08:42
Well, I've been playing it since the 24th all through the weekend, and the game actually surprised me a bit, turned out to be better than I thought. The feel on the steering wheel is pretty good, force feedback is good as well, but it's a bit too easy.

I'm running in expert mode with all driving assists off, qualified 12th and finished 5th in a Lotus at Bahrain. WTF? I guess time spent playing rFactor helped with this one.

BUT there are still a lot of bugs with this game. For example the pit stop bug, which I read can be corrected by changing your pit-stop strategy at the start. Without changing the recommended race strategy, I would start 12th, make my way up to 4th, then pit and come out 24th!!!! Behind Trulli, my teammate, who started 20th! And many times the AI just didn't pit.

Also, it's already confirmed by Steve Hood, the chief designer, that AI qualifying times are fake, which is a huge bummer. I knew something was wrong when the track was weirdly empty during the qualifying sessions. And there are rumors about the AI being fake in race as well, as posted above. About that, it might, just MIGHT be a timing bug, fingers crossed! If not, then Codies really dropped the ball with this one.

Having said all that, the game is a total BLAST online. I played for an hour or so online yesterday. Won a race at Interlagos, which I have by-hearted during the hours spent playing F1 challenge. Was winning Melbourne and Montreal until I spun the car due to over-eagerness, but still finished second. Well, I should have turned traction control on like the others since it was in the options, but decided not to.

Anybody wants to play online, look out for my Live ID: CaptainRaiden ;) (Bruce! Where are you? Did you get the game yet?)

Bruce D
27th September 2010, 08:47
Would love to but I've been chasing shops all weekend and found that nobody in SA is getting it before the 30th! :( I've also heard that online is more where the game is focused rather than offline, which is a shame, and I'm disappointed reading all these comments. Seems like people were sworn to shut up about the major flaws of the game. Also explains why some reviews were saying it was brilliant yet giving it not quite 100% scores.

CaptainRaiden
27th September 2010, 09:07
Would love to but I've been chasing shops all weekend and found that nobody in SA is getting it before the 30th! :( I've also heard that online is more where the game is focused rather than offline, which is a shame, and I'm disappointed reading all these comments. Seems like people were sworn to shut up about the major flaws of the game. Also explains why some reviews were saying it was brilliant yet giving it not quite 100% scores.

They're going to release a patch soon that would fix the minor bugs. About the fake qualy times by the AI, that doesn't bother me too much, as qualifying seems more like a time trial, but still, would have been better to have AI doing proper laps and us being able to see those laps. Still, it's good to play the career mode, as it's quite enjoyable, all the nitty-gritties. And if not for anything, it's good for learning the tracks for online races, because that's where the real competition really is.

Also, I checked the time difference between us just out of curiosity. I'm in Europe right now, and it's 11:09 am at this moment. I checked the current time in Johannesburg, and it's 10:09 am, so you're behind by only one hour? Hopefully we can race online some time next month. :up:

I have really got to practice on some of the new tracks. Did an online race at Valencia and Singapore, didn't have any idea where the hell I was going, still ended up coming second, as I learned the track in the last 3 laps. :p I guess the wheel makes a lot of difference.

MrJan
27th September 2010, 09:17
How about this bombshell: F1 2010 is a fraud and Codie's couldn't take the heat so they shut down the thread !

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/431006-confirmed-race-ai-phoney.html

Confirmed Race AI is Phoney

Proof
Just raced on Bahrain and started in sixth. At the end of the 1st lap i was second. My lap time was 2:03. Webber was in first, he was at most a second a head on track yet his lap time was 2:00. The big issue was Kubica. He was 3rd, yet his lap time was 1:59. This is impossible. There is no way that on the first lap Kubica can go round the track 1 second quicker than Webber, 4 seconds quicker than me and still end up in 3rd at the end of said lap.

If the AI we see on the track are not posting the lap times and just populated like cars in GTA that would explain lots of the issues I have with the game

No split times - cause the AI isnt actually lapping

Strange AI pit stops(questioning whether the AI has made a pit stop)

No penalties for the AI

This game is a time trial with the AI just there to act as blockers of the racing line. The AI difficulty isnt how well they drive just how aggressively they defend the racing line. Should really have expected this from a game based on a rally engine.

That may have been possibly actually. A lot of games start your first lap time when you cross the line, not when the lights go out. So if someone starts further down the grid it is possible that they will have a better first lap than the bloke on pole because matey on pole effectively starts from a standstill while people further back are already moving when the lap time starts :)

I only had a few hours on it yesterday but it was good fun. Started with Lotus at Bahrain (10% length I think) and spend a large amount of time practicing and (once I stopped running wide and getting a 'corner cutting' penalty on one particular corner) managed to get my lap times to around the 1:57 mark which I was reasonably happy with. Qualified easily on pole (think I only started out on medium difficulty) and, although Alonso was up the inside into the first corner, pretty much led from the start. Probably a bit too easy in terms of who you are racing against, I was about 50 seconds ahead of the guy in second and Chandook was miles up the order. I don't really care about where drivers finish though, I'd just like some good racing.

After Bahrain I did a quick 3 lap race at Spa. My main problem (probably due to the difficulty being so easy) was that other cars brake too early and I end up pounding into the back of them and getting a 'causing collision' thing. Once you learn where the AI cars brake though you can get around quite well. I found that the flashback thing is useful here, just rewind and pull off the overtaking move properly or just avoid the crash :)

Bruce D
27th September 2010, 09:51
Also, I checked the time difference between us just out of curiosity. I'm in Europe right now, and it's 11:09 am at this moment. I checked the current time in Johannesburg, and it's 10:09 am, so you're behind by only one hour? Hopefully we can race online some time next month. :up:

Oh awesome I thought you were actually in India, so that was a big difference. Europe time is fine. I can usually only get on from about 8pm at night my time, due to the kid going to bed so it would have to be after that but once I get it and sorted out a bit we can definately hook up and anyone else that wants to play here as well.

CaptainRaiden
27th September 2010, 10:02
Oh awesome I thought you were actually in India, so that was a big difference. Europe time is fine. I can usually only get on from about 8pm at night my time, due to the kid going to bed so it would have to be after that but once I get it and sorted out a bit we can definately hook up and anyone else that wants to play here as well.

Yep, we can make a thread for PC users in the Simulations forum, maybe to announce whenever someone is online, the current time, how long they'll be there and also where the custom race is. Or some kind of a chat room or messenger, where we can have races with whoever is online at that time. Plus, anyway there is an "Add Friends" options on the Games for Windows - LIVE accounts, I guess it acts as a messenger as well. Shouldn't be too hard to manage.

Let's see how it all pans out. We can definitely have some good races online.

Bruce D
27th September 2010, 11:48
Just one question, when I registered with the GFWL it keeps sending me to Xbox Live stuff. I presume thats right? BTW X-ecutioner I added you as a friend on there. My gametag is BruceD77

Maybe we should either start a new thread or add in here what each person's gametag is so we can find each other if need be.

Alfa Fan
27th September 2010, 14:31
New flaw. Speeding in pit lane penalties despite the fact I have auto limiter on :s

Bruce D
27th September 2010, 15:31
Did you not go into the pit lane too quickly, I believe it's not like GP4 that lets you run into the pits at speed and slow down, you need to be at 100km/h at the line.

Alfa Fan
28th September 2010, 00:22
This was on pit exit!!

52Paddy
28th September 2010, 00:25
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-21-codies-explains-download-only-pc-f1-2010

I don't know if anyone posted a similar article but the above states that, unless you have pre-ordered a copy, a boxed PC version will not be available :( I ordered a copy from Gameseek over the weekend and I received an email earlier on saying that they do not have a copy to ship because of this. This is unfortunate. I guess I'll have to try elsewhere to see if I can find a boxed copy lurking about (perhaps second hand).

Bruce D
28th September 2010, 06:59
Yeah for some reason they're punishing the UK and USA guys. We're still getting boxed versions down in the South but obviously when they bother to arrive.

BTW has anyone checked out the PC mod for the lighting effect. I thought this looks way better! http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-track-lighting-mod-0-1-released/

MrJan
28th September 2010, 08:11
Did Melbourne practice and qualifying last night (had to go to bed before the race so will do that this afternoon). One thing I found annoying was that I'd set a fairly quick time (faster than anyone else) but was pushing fairly hard and kept cutting corners so not setting laps. I assume that it was because of the invalidated laps that the race engineer kept coming on the radio saying "Jarno's much quicker than you in all three sectors, perhaps you should copy his set up". Two things are wrong with this, firstly that there isn't an option to copy team mates set up (or even see what it is) and, secondly, that Jarno was lying in last, about 5 seconds down on me :S

All in all though I enjoy it, it's not 100% real (no computer game is) but you have a good feeling of speed and I enjoy using the wheel. I also like how the option tyres feel much more planted than the prime, although I think that there is a bit too much grip when you're on inters.

Bruce D
28th September 2010, 08:16
According to the lead designer the AI times in qualifying are fake and just created, the cars don't actually do the laps so it's possible it was getting sector times mixed up.

CaptainRaiden
28th September 2010, 09:00
Just one question, when I registered with the GFWL it keeps sending me to Xbox Live stuff. I presume thats right? BTW X-ecutioner I added you as a friend on there. My gametag is BruceD77

Maybe we should either start a new thread or add in here what each person's gametag is so we can find each other if need be.

Yep, got it, I added you as well. It's completely normal for it to take you to the Xbox Live website, because I believe they both use the same network?

This was on pit exit!!

How many times did it happen to you? Was it a particular track? Is your pit limiter and pit box control set to automatic or manual? This hasn't happened to me so far.

BTW has anyone checked out the PC mod for the lighting effect. I thought this looks way better! http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-track-lighting-mod-0-1-released/

I don't really like this mod, makes it look like rFactor for me, which makes it unrealistic and more "video-gamey" than F1 2010 which at times looks breathtakingly real. The color saturation in that mod is way too high and hurts the eyes, whereas F1 2010 is pleasant. You'll see for yourself when you get the game. :)

CaptainRaiden
28th September 2010, 09:07
Also, for PC gamers who want to play online, maybe we can have a chat room where races can be held between all who are online. I searched and found this to be quite interesting: http://chat.aim.com/create

It will need an AOL account, which is free and takes a minute to create. I think there is an option there to put it on a website, so probably we can put the code on some free webspace. I could put it on my business' website, but that'd be bad for SEO.

ArrowsFA1
28th September 2010, 09:36
I'm enjoying it (on Xbox with controller not wheel).

I've come across the pit stop bug once in my (to date) 9 race career but by stopping a lap or two later than I'm told to I haven't come across it since. Also any issues with the AI haven't affected my enjoyment of the game so far.

I've seen comments comparing F1 2010 with the likes of Forza with people saying they can't correct oversteer before the car spins. Well no **** Sherlock...F1 cars are rather different beasts to those found in Forza. This isn't that kind of game and yet it seems some expect it to be.

No complaints here. It's a game, and as a representation of F1 it does a damn good job. No doubt F1 2011 will be even better.

MrJan
28th September 2010, 09:55
I've seen comments comparing F1 2010 with the likes of Forza with people saying they can't correct oversteer before the car spins. Well no **** Sherlock...F1 cars are rather different beasts to those found in Forza. This isn't that kind of game and yet it seems some expect it to be.

It is possible but you have to catch it really early by either dabbing the brakes or coming off the power. As someone who has lost control of a car several times I can assure people that holding a slide isn't as easy as Forza would have you believe.

Bruce D
28th September 2010, 10:10
Yeah, the dabbing the brakes trick is something I learnt in GPL, it works really well for some strange reason.

Stuartf12007
28th September 2010, 19:22
Firstly i was over joyed with this game, now i am totally disappointed.

The AI is useless, i cant beleive it was ever tested.
Wing mirrors are no use, car behind you, rams you up the back everytime.

Invalidated lap.....its a nuisance, get rid.

The replay mode looks appauling worse i have ever seen in the history of f1 games.

Codemasters, sorry but imo you have FAILED.

Robinho
28th September 2010, 19:42
i've got a PS3, but its in England and i'm in Sweden and i haven't got the game yet. are all these bugs on all formats or mostly PC? have they released any updates yet to patch them?

motetarip
28th September 2010, 19:47
I take it thats a no. Taxi for one.. :p :)

Why have you losers all got Xbox's? :eek:

ps3 all the way my friend ;) however not bought the game yet (STILL obsessed with mw2...)

MrMetro
28th September 2010, 20:14
I take it thats a no. Taxi for one.. :p :)

Why have you losers all got Xbox's? :eek:

henners, I'm on playstion network, I'll send you a friend request sometime, my psn name is also IronRooster92

Bruce D
29th September 2010, 09:24
Just got a message from my shop that my game is ready for collection! :D

I am evil Homer
29th September 2010, 16:04
I liek the game but it's buggy as hell...AI hitting you from behind, pit box penalties with "auto" turned on - speeding penalty and "blocking on exit" penalties. All in all it's ruining the epxerience...I hope 2011 version sorts a lot of this out.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th September 2010, 17:04
Who wants to exchange Xbox Live tags?

gloomyDAY
29th September 2010, 18:45
Who wants to exchange Xbox Live tags?GLOOMYDAY

CaptainRaiden
29th September 2010, 19:12
PS3 vs Xbox360 vs PC graphics comparison: http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-pcconsole-graphics-comparison/

Wow, I'm so glad I got this for the PC. :D Looks like crap on PS3 and Xbox compared to how it looks on my monitor. What's even better, Codies are gonna release a DX11 patch for the game soon.

Bruce D
29th September 2010, 19:24
I read somewhere the other day that you can get DX11 to work on the game already there was just a few things that needed tweaking first

CaptainRaiden
30th September 2010, 09:12
I read somewhere the other day that you can get DX11 to work on the game already there was just a few things that needed tweaking first

Yep, I read about that too, but seems like some people were having problems after tweaking the setup files. So, I'd rather wait for the official patch from CM. Don't wanna have weird lighting or artifacts on the track like one of those guys. :D The link here on Codemaster's forum:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-technical-help-1343/431578-f1-2010-pc-directx-11-workaround.html

And another one: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,775753/F1-2010-with-Direct-X-11-Breathtaking-screenshots/News/

CaptainRaiden
30th September 2010, 10:03
No matter what all those guys at the Codemasters' forum keep talking about, but as I play this game more and more, I like it more and more. For a hardcore sim fan, you'd probably have to wait for rFactor 2 and then some good F1 mods to get graphics like this and the handling sorted.

BUT for an F1 fan, this game is probably as good as it gets (of course not taking all the bugs and AI problems into consideration). The keyword here is FUN, and that this game has oodles of. I stopped playing arcade racing games a while back, ever since I got a wheel, and with this new game I wanted something that lets me enjoy using a wheel. I'm not disappointed. Even if the game is extremely buggy right now, and the AI may not pose as much of a challenge, I'm just enjoying the fact that I get to race an F1 car on all these brilliant circuits and learn them, so that I can kick some a$$ online. :D

Bruce D
30th September 2010, 10:07
Well I ran it last night I still think GP4 is better but its a good racing game, far better than Shift or Grid, so I'm ok with it. Performance is bad on my machine at the moment, but I've downloaded all the latest drivers and read how to tweak things to make it better and so hopefully tonight I can get it running decently.

Brown, Jon Brow
30th September 2010, 16:33
Arrrgggghhhh! My agent on the game just said my name!!!! :eek:

CaptainRaiden
30th September 2010, 19:44
B6GhQ6980Fc

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

christophulus
30th September 2010, 20:12
Codemasters respond to the complaints, announce a patch coming soon:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/09/30/codematers-statement-on-f1-2010-bugs-and-patch/

Bruce D
1st October 2010, 06:44
X-ecutioner, really enjoyed that online race last night! Brilliant stuff. This game really works well on online stuff.

Followed all the advice on the codemasters forum and sorted out my sound and graphics issues and got the game running nicely.

Bruce D
1st October 2010, 06:45
HAHA - Taken from GP Diary:

The track is unfinished, it’s in the middle of nowhere, getting a visa to go there is a nightmare, flights and hotels are crippingly expensive and nobody wants to eat dog for dinner.

So, especially when you compare how the… track actually looks compared to how it should look in the Codemasters F1 2010 game (see video below), maybe all 24 drivers should just battle it out on computers at home and save everybody a lot of hassle.

A Sauber spokesman went as far to suggest that Kamui Kobayashi should be allowed to select ‘No Damage Mode’ which would save the team a whole load of money.

CaptainRaiden
1st October 2010, 07:20
X-ecutioner, really enjoyed that online race last night! Brilliant stuff. This game really works well on online stuff.

Followed all the advice on the codemasters forum and sorted out my sound and graphics issues and got the game running nicely.

It was really enjoyable man, up until the end of first lap for me. I was leading up until the last couple of corners where I suddenly got a huge lag and the second placed guy out of nowhere had a lead of 4 seconds on me. :confused:

Then for some reason I was also missing the front wing and had a punctured rear right, so had to make a pitstop in a 3 lap race. It's like during that lag period, my car went to another dimension, got banged up and threw me back in the race. All in all, a disastrous race for me, but still enjoyable. :) Let's see if we can get some races going tonight. Suggest some tracks if you want.

CaptainRaiden
1st October 2010, 07:32
Talking about the issues, I have a really huge lag at least once in a race and that's because of the massive replay file that the game generates. Followed these steps, but the mklink thingy doesn't work:

3# Frame Skips, Low FPS, Lag

PC version of the game may be experiencing all this due to a massive replay file, too much data writing occurs on that file causing the lag and frame skips, when you go back to the game after having watched a replay.

You can find the file here: C :\ ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\Ad ministrator\replay replay.pbf

You can set the replay.pbf file to read only and see if that helps. Or you can try the workaround below.

Windows Vista/Windows 7

1. Delete original replay folder (and file) by exploring to
ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\yourc omputersname\

2. Open Command Prompt with admin privileges search cmd and right click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

3. Use mklink to create the symbolic link. Edit it according to your own game directory location.

mklink /D C :\ ProgramData\Codemasters\FormulaOne\DataCache\yourc omputersname\ E :\ Games\F12010\replay

4. When launching the game, the 2GB replay.pbf file will be written to the file location you have specified. If you write this file to another hard drive, resources are freed up for your OS and game performance will increase.

Alternate Fix
Go to the My F1 screen and then “Audio” and change the default Rapture setting to Software.

And it's not a config problem, because I'm running a pretty high end PC. It's: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.6 Ghz
4 GB RAM
1 GB ATI Radeon HD 4870
640 GB hard drive.

So, I'm able to run the game with everything maxed out, and it runs fine, BUT only for that annoying lag that happens once during every race. And there is no option to turn the replay recording completely off within the game. Bruce, give me the links for the graphics tweaking if you still have them, so maybe I can get this sorted out.

Bruce D
1st October 2010, 08:00
Hmm, mine were for Nvidia cards, the latest driver being a bit improvement but I'll try to find the link later

CaptainRaiden
1st October 2010, 08:18
Realistic sun mod for F1 2010: PC version only. Finally a mod that does it!

http://forum.jogos.uol.com.br/F1-2010--Realistic-Sun-Mod_t_1085741

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7644/interlagosi.jpg

Bruce D
1st October 2010, 10:36
Is it for all tracks now or still limited to some tracks?

CaptainRaiden
1st October 2010, 11:06
Is it for all tracks now or still limited to some tracks?

I have no idea, haven't tried it yet, probably will try it over the weekend or next week. I'm guessing it should be for all tracks.

52Paddy
1st October 2010, 11:30
I ordered a boxed copy from ebay. Hopefully I'll be gaming some time next week :D

Bruce D
1st October 2010, 12:00
Sweet! You on PC, hey Paddy?

Bruce D
1st October 2010, 12:46
And it's not a config problem, because I'm running a pretty high end PC. It's: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.6 Ghz
4 GB RAM
1 GB ATI Radeon HD 4870
640 GB hard drive.

So, I'm able to run the game with everything maxed out, and it runs fine, BUT only for that annoying lag that happens once during every race. And there is no option to turn the replay recording completely off within the game. Bruce, give me the links for the graphics tweaking if you still have them, so maybe I can get this sorted out.

Trying to find the links but it gets buried in the CM forums pretty quickly, but here is what I did (maybe this will help others here as well):

1. Sound issue - for those that aren't getting the car sound, just the crowd, or the echo effect. Get the latest drivers for you sound card. Install the Rapture3D found in the Redist folder on the game DVD. Now go into Start (or all programs) -Blue Ripple Sound-Rapture 3D Speaker Layout. Select the Rapture3D tab, put both options (Spatialisation and Quality) to LOW and Buffer count to 7
Hit ok to save options. My sound is perfect now. Set the sound in the game to Rapture, not software.

2. Diable Autosave in the My F1 section - apparently when you get to the end of your first season it gets corrupted if it's on autosave, so just manually save.

3. Keep Vsync off.

4. Install the latest DX9 on your machine (or DX11 if thats what you use).

5. Install the OpenAL drivers off the disk as well (DX and OpenAL all found in the Redist folder of the disk).

6. For those with Nvidia cards (like myself), go to their website and download the latest beta driver (I think it's 260.53 or something like that, not the 258 one). This has made quite big gains in FPS on most cards.

For those with ATI, get the latest drivers.

7. I found keeping AA settings down helps.

8. I think the other big gain comes from editting the hardware_settings_config.xml file found in My Documents/My Games/F1 2010/hardwaresettings. The main thing is skidmarks, if you switch that off it's a big gain for some reason. Also I switched off MotionBlur (or Blur as it's called in the file) and it looks better IMHO.

9. Xfire and SLI are not liked by the game, switch them over to 1 GPU if you have two. Another thing for ATI uses is disabiling Catalyst A.I.

10. I can't for the life of me find the thread where someone posted what to do with the Nvidia control panel settings but this is what I remember(this may also work for ATI people, give it a try):

Set texture quality to "performance"
Make sure AA settings are on "application-selected"

Crazy enough all of this helped not only with the game running better but the loading times in the menus was MUCH quicker.

52Paddy
1st October 2010, 13:47
PC indeed :D

Bruce D
1st October 2010, 14:37
Is there any way to see results from an online race or do you just take screenshots after the race?

bblocker68
1st October 2010, 16:44
As an export, Brucce? There is none yet. This is why it's going to be tough for organized leagues.

I'm bblock68 on the PC. Feel free to add me! Finally got a couple of multiplayer wins last night at Melbourne. Got my lap times in the 1:26 range in the red car. Gotta work on setups to try and find more time. Albert Park is awesome. I have to go try and remember Malaysia next :)

Bruce D
1st October 2010, 19:30
Wow, 1:26s! Pole in our race was a 1:28 and I was doing low 1:30s, so you're just a little above us, but I'll be seeing you some time.

MrMetro
1st October 2010, 20:58
Thanks for the add.. ;)

no problem :)

Shifter
1st October 2010, 23:28
Well I'm enjoying the game on my PS3 with alot less hassle by the looks of things on here.. :D

Yeah PC gaming is better if you are willing to put forth the effort, but I spend enough time just setting up the car in-game. I'm too lazy to be a PC gamer.