PDA

View Full Version : from the 'were they paying attention' department

SarahFan
24th April 2009, 15:43
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090424/SPORTS01/904240352/1052/SPORTS01

-----Terry Angstadt, president of the Indy Racing League's commercial division, will be in China next week to hear plans for a venue that will have a road course and an oval track. Angstadt has been to Brazil several times lately to discuss, among other things, a race there in 2010. ------

leaves this owrFan shaking his head

champcarray
24th April 2009, 17:30
I'm with you. I'm all for IndyCar being a series for the Americas, but going to South America has proven a risky business proposition. As for Asia, Europe, Africa, etc -- ditto.

SarahFan
24th April 2009, 17:34
I'm with you. I'm all for IndyCar being a series for the Americas, but going to South America has proven a risky business proposition. As for Asia, Europe, Africa, etc -- ditto.

hell of a lot that needs to be accomplished right here at home before headed into choppy waters

garyshell
24th April 2009, 18:20
hell of a lot that needs to be accomplished right here at home before headed into choppy waters

I agree with that sentiment. But at the same time can see the benefit (aka PR) if a stable partner with cash to burn can be found in China. The problem Champ Car had was they assumed their partners were stable. I question whether or not the really did any, or at least enough, "due diligence" in their efforts to get into China.

But let's say, just for the sake of argument, that a suitable partner can be found who is capable of footing the ENTIRE bill. Think of the HUGE potential for PR such a visit would make HERE in the USA. Plus there are a lot of mainstream companies here in the USA that look at the consumer economy in China and start to droll like Pavlov's dog. (Having said that, I am not sure how many of today's IRL sponsors fall into that. Just off the top of my head I know McDonald's and Motorola both are in that camp.)

Yes, there is a lot to be done here, but I don't dismiss the possibility that a trip to China COULD actually help with the efforts at home.

Gary

Lousada
24th April 2009, 18:51
The Chinese race could be tagged on to Japan to make that trip more efficient. I don't see the point of going to Brazil.

Chamoo
24th April 2009, 19:37
The Chinese race could be tagged on to Japan to make that trip more efficient. I don't see the point of going to Brazil.

Apex-Brasil

Lousada
24th April 2009, 21:12
Apex-Brasil

You're right, I completely forgot about that. That would make a decent reason to go there. I'm still afraid they will get too many 'furrin' races though.

nigelred5
26th April 2009, 01:25
Brazil has provided Indycars many of it's top drivers for going on 20 years and has incredible race fans if they are going overseas at all, Brazil is a good bet.

jarrambide
26th April 2009, 19:46
Brazil has provided Indycars many of it's top drivers for going on 20 years and has incredible race fans if they are going overseas at all, Brazil is a good bet.

Not when you donīt have money, if you ask me, I want IC to race in Europe, SA, Asia and go back to Monterrey and Houston, I want no ovals, 30 drivers from at least 12 different countries and on Network TV, but it will not happen, there is no money right now to be gambling now and going to other countries.

SarahFan
26th April 2009, 19:59
Not when you donīt have money, if you ask me, I want IC to race in Europe, SA, Asia and go back to Monterrey and Houston, I want no ovals, 30 drivers from at least 12 different countries and on Network TV, but it will not happen, there is no money right now to be gambling now and going to other countries.

Monterrey!... I'm there baby

Jose... can you change my log in name to SarahFan for the month of may.... becuase Sarah is a lock for the pole and win at the 500 this year

jarrambide
26th April 2009, 20:07
Monterrey!... I'm there baby

Jose... can you change my log in name to SarahFan for the month of may.... becuase Sarah is a lock for the pole and win at the 500 this year
I canīt do it, I had to ask Pino to change mine, you can send him a PM.

SarahFan
26th April 2009, 20:09
I canīt do it, I had to ask Pino to change mine, you can send him a PM.

will do...

I expect Sarah to be the fastest all month long... in fact every session

I would be suprised to see anyone else even finish on the lead lap..

and I'd like to see Monterrey on the schedule!!!!

nigelred5
27th April 2009, 02:17
I thought they tore the Fundidora track up in Monterrrey?

jarrambide
27th April 2009, 02:38
I thought they tore the Fundidora track up in Monterrrey?

Not exactly tore, the track is there, it is used to run and for bikes, but they build 2 museums a skate rink and a few other things there, no space for stands or for safety, that is why it was only a wish.

SarahFan
27th April 2009, 18:48
"We're a domestic series and will continue to be," he(terry angsdt) said Sunday. "But to not explore opportunities in countries with emerging economies, we would not be doing our job."

nigelred5
27th April 2009, 19:57
Not exactly tore, the track is there, it is used to run and for bikes, but they build 2 museums a skate rink and a few other things there, no space for stands or for safety, that is why it was only a wish.

I knew that there had been a lot of building that basically made it unuseable for racing any longer. i liked that CART went there. The heat was always such an issue. I always thought it should have been the first or second race of the season. If they had removed a couple of the chicanes that preceeded a couple of the turns, it would have been a far more exciting track. life goes on....

nigelred5
29th April 2009, 00:39
,This should probably be i nthe USGP thread but that type of facility is Exactly what needs to be built in this country for F1, Indycar et al...- a modern road course, city park style. Belle Isle and Portland are about as close as I can come up with in the states, though portland is a permanent race facility. Montreal, mexico city, monza, all parks the majority of the year.

Rather than squandering money year after year, construct a lasting permanent, multi use public race facility that permanently benefits the city.

Build it with permanent garage facilities and a paddock that can be used as stalls/booths for festivals. Construct a nice wide racing surface that doubles as park roads and biking running trails, a perfect facility for 5k charity runs, with wide grassy runoff areas with walls that are permanent, but placed far enough back from the track that it has the characteristics of a true road course, not a city street course.removeable fencing so the walls are unobtrusive when the track isn't in use, but still provide secutiry to the park itself. Permanent facilities like the restrooms, etc. double for 365 day use by park users. A permanent band shell strategically placed near the end of pit lane, inside of say turn 1 could double as the podium and creative site and track planning could allow the grandstands surrounding a turn 1 bowl would allow it to be used as an open ampitheatre for concerts and plays, theatre, etc.

All were ideas that I discussed with a former developer that tried to build a track here in my town. It could have been a huge win win for the track and the town. We even suggested the city hold the property as a city park to control use and noise concerns. Of course, the project was shot down. it's now an LPGA course surrounded bt a couple thousand houes. ;(