PDA

View Full Version : Renault can get in title fight - Alonso

woody2goody
22nd April 2009, 18:27
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=45649

I'm REALLY not sure about that. Full marks to Fernando for being optimistic, but I can't see 'the duck' being a quick enough machine to even get on the podium for a while let alone fight for the championship.

And even if they do score a podium it will be due to either Alonso's brilliance, attrition or an outrageous bit of luck. They are in the same boat as McLaren, BMW and Ferrari: just not good enough at the moment.

F1boat
22nd April 2009, 19:25
At the moment, woody. They managed to score a win last year and the beginning in 2008 was also disastrous. They can improve a lot and they have to improve not against Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes, but against Brawn GP, who have no money to replace their front wing, and RBR, who are facing radical redesign. I can see why Alonso is optimistic and I expect him to get very strong very soon.

Psycho!
22nd April 2009, 19:38
The fight in the end will be again between the usual teams and everybody will remember Brawn's magic performances from season reviews....!!You will see it from Spain!

V12
23rd April 2009, 01:21
Im sure the bricks will improve as the year goes on, but I honestly don't see them contesting the title this year. A couple of wins at the back end of the year maybe.

leopard
23rd April 2009, 04:46
Everybody can make a wish.

woody2goody
23rd April 2009, 05:08
At the moment, woody. They managed to score a win last year and the beginning in 2008 was also disastrous. They can improve a lot and they have to improve not against Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes, but against Brawn GP, who have no money to replace their front wing, and RBR, who are facing radical redesign. I can see why Alonso is optimistic and I expect him to get very strong very soon.

Are Brawn short of money? If they are I'll back Toyota then :)

F1boat
23rd April 2009, 05:50
Toyota? Now way. Remember their 2005 season. At the beginning they looked like Renault's main competitor, but faded quickly. Same will happen again IMO.

ArrowsFA1
23rd April 2009, 08:26
Although the Brawns are seen as the quickest at the moment, the Red Bull win shows that this is not going to be a dominant season for one team. I suspect Toyota may be another new winner soon as well :)

Renault have clearly made progress since the start of the year, along with McLaren, and once these 'fly-away' races are done teams will have more time for more development so I can see why Alonso is optimistic.

It's all shaping up to be a very competitive year :s mokin:

Dave B
23rd April 2009, 08:27
Sounds far-fetched but remember that Renault started 2008 with a dog of a car then went on to be the highest scoring team in the second half of the season - including two wins.

I'd much rather have a #1 driver with Alonso's attitude than having Kimi publicly saying (after just two races!) that the title was out of reach. FA displays a true champion's attitude :up:

leopard
23rd April 2009, 09:08
Perhaps skepticism mentality of Kimi was prompted by bad result of Ferrari this season that put him down under pressure.

Such mental stressing is actually acknowledgeable, but I'd suggest him to take everything all the pressure in more moderation state - the action of lessening severity...

woody2goody
23rd April 2009, 10:09
Sounds far-fetched but remember that Renault started 2008 with a dog of a car then went on to be the highest scoring team in the second half of the season - including two wins.

I'd much rather have a #1 driver with Alonso's attitude than having Kimi publicly saying (after just two races!) that the title was out of reach. FA displays a true champion's attitude :up:

Yep. I hadn't thought of it that way. At least he, A) gives a crap, and B) has confidence in his team to make things work.

I always like to see Alonso doing well, but despite his great attitude, I can see three or four podiums maximum for him this year sadly.

555-04Q2
23rd April 2009, 11:52
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=45649

I'm REALLY not sure about that. Full marks to Fernando for being optimistic, but I can't see 'the duck' being a quick enough machine to even get on the podium for a while let alone fight for the championship.

And even if they do score a podium it will be due to either Alonso's brilliance, attrition or an outrageous bit of luck. They are in the same boat as McLaren, BMW and Ferrari: just not good enough at the moment.

At least Frodo's optimistic :up:

Donney
24th April 2009, 08:01
I guess they have something up their sleeve in Renault because this season he sounds more optimistic than usual. We will see but they better start developing soon, because for the second part of the season it might be a little too late.

I hope he's right though. :p

Valve Bounce
24th April 2009, 08:23

Don't worry!! Webbo will give bunsen some Red Bull - Red Bull gives you wings. :p :

V12
24th April 2009, 10:22
To be honest, while the Red Bull and Brawn "look" quick, the Renault just doesn't. Having said that, the 1998 Jordan looked all bloated and square as well and started off as a dog but was a race winner by the end of that year, so who knows?

24th April 2009, 15:54

100% in agreement with that.

F1boat
24th April 2009, 20:11
To be honest, while the Red Bull and Brawn "look" quick, the Renault just doesn't. Having said that, the 1998 Jordan looked all bloated and square as well and started off as a dog but was a race winner by the end of that year, so who knows?

I dunno. All cars look odd to me this year.

DexDexter
24th April 2009, 22:05
Renault, Mclaren and Ferrari can all easily get in the fight, remember that in 2007 Kimi was about 16-17 points behind Hamilton with two races to go and well over 20 points behind a bit earlier. The Brawns will retire, Rubens will spin, Button will crash and we know that the Red Bulls are not the strongest cars there are. Alonso is being totally realistic.

Garry Walker
25th April 2009, 10:26
Except Kimi did not say that.

Dave B
25th April 2009, 11:04
Except Kimi did not say that.

Sorry, you're wrong.

If you have a recording of the BBC coverage from China, FF to around 17m50s and you'll hear the words straight from the horse's mouth.

It's also referenced in this article (http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/12307/900/).

Garry Walker
25th April 2009, 11:09
Sorry, you're wrong.

If you have a recording of the BBC coverage from China, FF to around 17m50s and you'll hear the words straight from the horse's mouth.

It's also referenced in this article (http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/12307/900/).

Of course I dont have a recording.

The quote I read from him was that if they dont improve very soon, then they wont have any chance, as with the current package, they cant fight for the title.

Dave B
25th April 2009, 11:13
I'd email it to you but it's 1.2GB! :eek:

Garry Walker
25th April 2009, 11:18
I'd email it to you but it's 1.2GB! :eek:

No problems, it was Vettel winning, I would not want to see that again anyway :D

stevie_gerrard
27th April 2009, 11:29
I think Fernando is capable of getting himself in the title fight, but he needs to pick up some better results, being stuck in the final scoring positions isn't going to get him very far to achieving his ambition. He has the potential, but i don't think he has the car to compete with Brawn, Red Bull, Toyota, Mclaren etc.