PDA

View Full Version : Autosport Exclusive: Lola seriously looking at F1 for 2010

Giuseppe F1
22nd April 2009, 14:23
Think this would be a good move - would obviously not be as tragic as the 1997 Mastercard Lola effort and would be done sensibly this time and with Lola having lost the chassis contracts for Indycar, GP2 nee F3000 and with Dallara dominating in F3 categories, they need a major championship to be competing in to showcase their engineering credibility and so F1 from there sounds smart.

Not sure if this would be a 'works' Lola effort or whether they would provide chassis for another entrant - Heres the Autosport.com story which is ominously ended with the tag. "More to Follow" - Watch this space:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74698

Lola evaluating 2010 F1 return
By Simon Strang
Wednesday, April 22nd 2009, 13:10 GMT

Lola is considering re-entering Formula 1 next year, after 12 years aways from grand prix racing and has confirmed that has committed to a full technical, operational and financial evaulation of the project.

The Huntingdon-based company says it decided on its plans following the FIA's announcement that it would introduce cost-capping to Formula 1.

"The announcement that teams may opt for a prudent, financially responsible 'cost capped' regime from 2010 has resulted in us deciding to fully evaluate the opportunity to develop a car to compete in the FIA Formula One World Championship," said Lola Group executive chairman Martin Birrane.

"Providing world-class engineering excellence, offering high quality solutions governed by a tightly controlled financial regime has been part of Lola's DNA over the last decade.

"The current necessity for F1to adopt a responsible approach in times of economic uncertainty has created the ideal conditions for us to consider developing a car for the world championship.

"Lola possesses the technical resources, capability and know-how to develop cars capable of competing at the very highest levels of international motor sport, including F1. We are therefore embracing the WMSC's timely announcements and assessing a relevant programme for F1 with a view to making a formal entry in the coming weeks."

More to follow.

Sonic
22nd April 2009, 15:18
OMG on two fronts.

1) Lola returning after the kicking it took as a company after the last effort.

2) Bernie might not have been talking quite as much s**t as usual :eek: - he said three teams and we now have two candidates.

christophulus
22nd April 2009, 15:24
AUTOSPORT understands that Lola is in talks with Cosworth for a supply of V8 engines for next year, and that it could face competition for the available grid slots from a number of other prospective teams, including the USF1 project.
Lola has already appointed engineering personnel to evaluate the possibility of an F1 return, and already has an F1-standard windtunnel, computational fluid dynamics capability and a seven-post dynamic chassis rig in its factory.

Sounds like a full effort, and feasible too especially if/when the budget cap is introduced.

So USF1, Lola and maybe Prodrive. Believe it when I see it but positive news :up:

I am evil Homer
22nd April 2009, 15:31
Cosworth engine? Oh dear...but maybe just maybe it's the start of more cars on the grid and TBH i'd welcome engineers of Lola's class back in F1. However, with all these things the dwarf has to stop askign for £40m just to play the game budget cap or not

jens
22nd April 2009, 20:04
I only welcome Lola back in F1. :up: Bigger grid would make driver market way more interesting too with several guys maybe getting finally their chance.

DazzlaF1
22nd April 2009, 23:24
Cosworth engine? Oh dear...but maybe just maybe it's the start of more cars on the grid and TBH i'd welcome engineers of Lola's class back in F1. However, with all these things the dwarf has to stop askign for £40m just to play the game budget cap or not

They do recieve that back in instalments over a period of time but you're right, paying that amount in the first place to enter is ridiculous especially in the current climate and when you are trying to encourage new teams into the sport.

I personally would love to see Lola return, reading the article it looks like its serious and hopefully it'll be a better effort than the embarassment of 1997.

Overall it looks great, USF1 and now Lola with Prodrive/Ultimate waiting int he wings also, maybe the thought of seeing a 26 car grid again might not be so daft after-all

AJP
23rd April 2009, 00:19
More teams the better....

I hope to see Lola back in F1..

V12
23rd April 2009, 01:17
The article mentions, quite rightly, that Lola *may* face competition for the "remaining grid slots" from the likes of USF1 etc. Of course if it's just these two then there won't be any competition, but when all's said and done Bernie is still talking a lot of brown stuff about 13 teams...and will be until he rescinds this stupid franchise rule of his limiting the sport to 12 teams.

ArrowsFA1
23rd April 2009, 08:13
Positive news indeed :up: F1 needs more teams and if the likes of Lola and Windsor's US F1 team join the grid next year then a move away from the sport being dominated by manufacturers (and the inevitable rise in costs that has brought) can begin in earnest :up:

CNR
23rd April 2009, 08:49
Aston Martin, others, also eye cheaper F1
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23042009/13/aston-martin-others-eye-cheaper-f1.html

Potential new teams keen to be budget-limited next year are seemingly clamouring at F1's paddock turnstile

This is a great time to come in," Richards, set to enter talks with Middle Eastern backers about his plans for a team with a staff of 140, confirmed.

DazzlaF1
23rd April 2009, 13:30
The article mentions, quite rightly, that Lola *may* face competition for the "remaining grid slots" from the likes of USF1 etc. Of course if it's just these two then there won't be any competition, but when all's said and done Bernie is still talking a lot of brown stuff about 13 teams...and will be until he rescinds this stupid franchise rule of his limiting the sport to 12 teams.

Well Bernie did say he is "expecting" 26 cars on the grid, maybe the rule is a 13 team limit like it is in GP2 and the Renault World Series

http://www.crash.net/Formula+One/News/144453/1/ecclestone_26_cars_on_f1_starting_grid_in_2010.htm l

Either that or its a 24 race limit meaning some drivers (for the first time in ages) getting DNQ's

nigelred5
23rd April 2009, 15:15
I'd love to see 28-30 cars on the grid, but practically and in reality, how many tracks have the F1 mandated garage space to accomodate more than 24-26 cars? Transporting 3 or 4 more teams for fly-aways may likely require another plane. Will Bernie foot that bill?

DazzlaF1
23rd April 2009, 16:55
I'd love to see 28-30 cars on the grid, but practically and in reality, how many tracks have the F1 mandated garage space to accomodate more than 24-26 cars? Transporting 3 or 4 more teams for fly-aways may likely require another plane. Will Bernie foot that bill?

26 i think will be the absolute limit, the days of the late 80's when we saw nearly 40 cars trying to qualify are long gone, and even then i think the smaller teams were under awnings in a carpark instead of garages.

The benefit of the cost cutting is no spare cars and with less parts needed and less manpower being taken to races, less garage space is needed therefore freeing up space for more teams to take up the empty garage space.

UltimateDanGTR
23rd April 2009, 18:01
Ill ask mastercard if they'd be interested in a sponshorship deal.............

emporer_k
23rd April 2009, 23:03
If they do make it lets hope they last a little longer than last time.