PDA

View Full Version : Tyre changes for '10...

veeten
22nd April 2009, 13:23
Originally proposed, and tested, before this season, a narrower front tyre could be on the books for next season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74697

Better balance and tractability, and the teams said 'no'. Bet a good number of them are doing the 'D'oh!' in hindsight now.

wedge
22nd April 2009, 13:55
I dunno, I prefer to see cars oversteering TBH

Sonic
22nd April 2009, 15:20
Indeed - although Seabass is probably gagging to get his hands on the smaller profile tyre.

To my mind F1 tyres are already too small - especially the rears.

christophulus
22nd April 2009, 15:25
Tyre warmers are banned next year too aren't they? So the cars will behave a lot differently from this year.

VX_Rules
22nd April 2009, 18:43
No refuelling... Why?? Thats a big importance in my eyes in F1 and the strategies.

methanolHuffer
22nd April 2009, 18:49
I know that they have to plan and commit to future regulations, but this season is getting interesting.
Maybe wait and see how these current things go.

Teams that have no grasp on things now will not be encouraged to develop their current car if it's going to be far and away worthless next year.

wedge
23rd April 2009, 00:06
No refuelling... Why?? Thats a big importance in my eyes in F1 and the strategies.

Please tell me you're joking!

V12
23rd April 2009, 01:45
Strategy was still important pre-1994. But it centred around managing your tyres (weighing speed from softer tyres or using them harder against a pit-stop etc.) Zero-stop strategies are virtually unheard of in the past 15 years (Salo at Monaco '97 is the only that springs to mind) but would be an option with no refuelling.

However in that case I'd like to see a return to the days when Goodyear offered all five compounds at every race for teams to use as they wished. No dicking about with mandatory "option" tyres, let the teams use Bridgestone's entire inventory as they see fit.

Somebody
23rd April 2009, 02:12
Zero-stop strategies are virtually unheard of in the past 15 years (Salo at Monaco '97 is the only that springs to mind) but would be an option with no refuelling.
Nope, because the regulation that you must use both the prime and option tyres during a dry/full-length race is staying. That means everyone must make at least one stop - and they're more likely to make two if the compound differences are as inappropriate as this year.

V12
23rd April 2009, 11:10
Nope, because the regulation that you must use both the prime and option tyres during a dry/full-length race is staying. That means everyone must make at least one stop - and they're more likely to make two if the compound differences are as inappropriate as this year.

Oh well scratch that, I guess that just gives weight to my second paragraph of my post then that teams shouldn't be dictated to in this way. It's like telling a football team that they *must* make at least one substitution during a game or something like that.

ShiftingGears
23rd April 2009, 11:17
I dunno, I prefer to see cars oversteering TBH

:up:

555-04Q2
23rd April 2009, 11:39
Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle, they always have to fiddle :(

Ranger
23rd April 2009, 11:45
Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle, they always have to fiddle :(

If they stopped fiddling maybe they'd save money too!

Unfortunately the FIA don't realise this.

555-04Q2
23rd April 2009, 11:48
If they stopped fiddling maybe they'd save money too!

Unfortunately the FIA don't realise this.

Indeed. Sometimes I think the FIA have nothing better to do with their time than make stupid decisions :(

wedge
23rd April 2009, 11:59
Indeed. Sometimes I think the FIA have nothing better to do with their time than make stupid decisions :(

Can't blame Max on this one, I'm afraid!

It was Bridgestone's call to use narrower tyres in the first place and the teams vetoed it first time round.

555-04Q2
23rd April 2009, 12:09
Can't blame Max on this one, I'm afraid!

It was Bridgestone's call to use narrower tyres in the first place and the teams vetoed it first time round.

I dont care if its Donald Duck that make the decision(s). Just stop fiddling!!! Things are working well at the moment :up:

Ranger
23rd April 2009, 12:28
I dont care if its Donald Duck that make the decision(s). Just stop fiddling!!! Things are working well at the moment :up:

Yep, I agree with that.