PDA

View Full Version : Bans?

20th April 2009, 19:49
Just want to know why the reason for bans aren't made 'public'? How are we supposed to know what is over-the-mark if the only people who know are the moderators (who never reply to reasonable and polite requests for info, much like faceless bureaucrats the world over!) and the banned....

Oh, except that when a ban happens, you send a very nice PM explaining the reason but since the person you've sent it to is banned they can't get in to read it.....in effect, you sentence and hang somebody then tell them why you've hung them a month later.

Why not just put the reason member x was banned and the length of the ban somewhere on the forum......on this sub-forum seems as good as any....so atleast we can see what's what.

And, yes, I'm quite happy for the world to know what I said to xxxxxxx and xxxxx-xx (the names have been changed to protect the innocent), as I suspect most people would be happy to have their ban explained.

This ridiculous non-response from moderators is pointless....it just alienates and raises suspicions that some bans are personal and not deserved.

So, what's wrong with transparency? What are you afraid of?

Fred Basset
21st April 2009, 00:15
Don't expect any reasonable and thoughtful answer from any mod here. I'm basing this on my thead a couple down from yours where i was asking re particular swear words and them not being removed even when i reported them numerous time.. The lack of any form of a response from a mod i find astounding inc the 27hours it took for them to be removed. I have tried to talk to moderators on this forum numerous times about certain matters in PM but your lucky if they'll grant you one response and if you do get that one, never think you'll get a 2nd reply to your reply

patnicholls
21st April 2009, 01:15
Agreed with Starter - there are about 15 or less Mods in total for the whole of Motorsport Forums, some of whom aren't that active within a typical week or couple of weeks and each of whom concentrate on a few areas of the board. We try and pick things up as soon as we can, but again you shouldn't need reminding that we're not an all-seeing presence.

As for bans - yep anyone I've banned would always have a PM'd warning well beforehand. There's also often a big clue in advance that you're about to get banned if a lot of people are unhappy with you :)

I would kind of agree with you, tamburello, that banning someone effectively IS a personal decision - but by someone who regularly patrols the board in question where the banned poster is from and knows "the lie of the land" as regards peoples' bias, style and attitude in terms of how they write. This isn't trial by jury - someone who's been chosen to have authority on this board will make a judgement call and that's that. I wouldn't sit down and attempt to judge the fairness of a ban of say, someone on the WRC forum by another mod, simply because I don't post there or have familiarity with those people that do and therefore it would be innappropriate.

As for us being 'like faceless bureaucrats' - bureaucrats are paid! :p

Pat

pino
21st April 2009, 07:59
Just want to know why the reason for bans aren't made 'public'? How are we supposed to know what is over-the-mark if the only people who know are the moderators (who never reply to reasonable and polite requests for info, much like faceless bureaucrats the world over!) and the banned....

Oh, except that when a ban happens, you send a very nice PM explaining the reason but since the person you've sent it to is banned they can't get in to read it.....in effect, you sentence and hang somebody then tell them why you've hung them a month later.

Why not just put the reason member x was banned and the length of the ban somewhere on the forum......on this sub-forum seems as good as any....so atleast we can see what's what.

And, yes, I'm quite happy for the world to know what I said to xxxxxxx and xxxxx-xx (the names have been changed to protect the innocent), as I suspect most people would be happy to have their ban explained.

This ridiculous non-response from moderators is pointless....it just alienates and raises suspicions that some bans are personal and not deserved.

So, what's wrong with transparency? What are you afraid of?

I usually don't discuss with a 3rd person my decisions or actions taken towards another forum member. I did an exception with you (and someone else) and told you how long the ban was...and still you're complaining ? :s Yes I didn't replied your 2nd Pm asking the reasons of banning that certain member, and that's because it's none of your business. But if you really want to find out go and read (once again) my sticky thread on top page of F1 forum, or go and read (once again) all warnings both you and this certain member have been recieved in the last few months...As for made the bans "public" it's not up to me but Mark.

Btw you're right, it's personal...I've banned ioan because being italian myself, I hate Ferrari :rolleyes:

pino
21st April 2009, 08:22
Don't expect any reasonable and thoughtful answer from any mod here. I'm basing this on my thead a couple down from yours where i was asking re particular swear words and them not being removed even when i reported them numerous time.. The lack of any form of a response from a mod i find astounding inc the 27hours it took for them to be removed. I have tried to talk to moderators on this forum numerous times about certain matters in PM but your lucky if they'll grant you one response and if you do get that one, never think you'll get a 2nd reply to your reply

First of all I let you know that I was the one who allowed you back in this Board, and I can easily say now that I've regreted it. Having saying that, I also let you know that fortunately apart from this forum I've got a life too, and a lovely wife, two kids, two dogs, my garden, my friends, my PS2/3 and my beloved music to take care of it. So I cannot be in here 24/7 as many of you expect/demand me to be. Your reported posts have been removed, why you're still complaining ?

Mark
21st April 2009, 08:29
All polite and reasonable questions are responded to. Rude and demanding ones are not.

21st April 2009, 15:41
All polite and reasonable questions are responded to. Rude and demanding ones are not.

I haven't been rude or demanding.....well, not this time.

I just think that it would help to know how long a member is banned for and why....especially when they don't know themselves.

When I was banned the login page stated that the ban would "never" be lifted....it was only when I got an email from a forum member to tell me that Pino had said it was a one month ban that I knew I wasn't banished for eternity.

I had confirmation of the length of my ban confirmed when I was able to log back in after a month.....I had a nice note from Pino telling me I was banned for a month. Very useful.

In the recent case of a fellow forum member, he genuinely doesn't know why he's received such a long ban....it's not like he's told somebody he's going to carve "Ferrari" into their mothers forehead....at least he tells me he hasn't.

If it wasn't for me asking on his behalf he would be under the impression that he was banned permanently.

A bit of clarity and transparency would help.

So, in response to Pino saying it's not of my business.....it very much is when I'm asked to clarify on behalf of somebody who Pino has banned.

markabilly
21st April 2009, 19:27
Speaking of being rude and demanding, the atttitude of some moderators could do with a bit of moderation themselves.

And Ioan, can be a bit rude, but that level of rudeness sometimes appears to be matched by moderators

When I was banned, I simply responded to a rude and provactive PM from Starter.

But he is right. No point in wasting time on the IRL forum, where the topics are about who is a fan boy of TG and the latest posters and collection of stuff of DP

Opps I forgot, the word fanboy was banned in the IRL forum, so that raised the level of discussion, like a dead body floating to the surface......to where it became "you are a f***** of TG..."

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, as I actually never intended to do that to anyone, as at the end of the day, it is all fun when I have nothing better to do, and those taking anything on this forum too seriously, should get a real life.

And like the rest, I do not come to this forum because of the moderators, but because there are some interesting people here.

Fred Basset
22nd April 2009, 00:35
Theres so much i could say in this thread but i'm just too old and too busy right now in my life to be responding except to say that a little more politeness from the mods would be appreciated.. :up:

BDunnell
22nd April 2009, 00:39
I haven't been rude or demanding.....well, not this time.

I just think that it would help to know how long a member is banned for and why....especially when they don't know themselves.

When I was banned the login page stated that the ban would "never" be lifted....it was only when I got an email from a forum member to tell me that Pino had said it was a one month ban that I knew I wasn't banished for eternity.

I had confirmation of the length of my ban confirmed when I was able to log back in after a month.....I had a nice note from Pino telling me I was banned for a month. Very useful.

In the recent case of a fellow forum member, he genuinely doesn't know why he's received such a long ban....it's not like he's told somebody he's going to carve "Ferrari" into their mothers forehead....at least he tells me he hasn't.

If it wasn't for me asking on his behalf he would be under the impression that he was banned permanently.

A bit of clarity and transparency would help.

So, in response to Pino saying it's not of my business.....it very much is when I'm asked to clarify on behalf of somebody who Pino has banned.

I agree that this is confusing when it is impossible for the person in question to find out what has happened. I also believe it to be inappropriate for the situation to arise, as was the case before, whereby a private message is allowed to appear on the public board, and hope this doesn't occur again.

What I really hope is that opinions can be expressed in a reasonable and civil manner, no matter whether one agrees with them or not. Yes, it is possible to use the ignore function, but not when the contributions of one member end up effectively being the subject of a thread in place of the original thread subject. I don't consider it reasonable to expect the ignore function to be effective in those circumstances. (I realise that just such a situation arose between myself and chuck34 on one of the forums a couple of weeks ago, but this was sorted out very amicably.)

pino
22nd April 2009, 06:55

I said reasons why he's been banned are none of your business, I knew you were action on behalf of ioan and told you how long he's been banned for, and that's it. When/if ioan will back, I am ready to discuss with him his ban and reasons :)

... a little more politeness from the mods would be appreciated.. :up:

I don't know about other Mods but I could say the same...a little more help, politeness, understanding and support from the members would be very apprecciated after all we do all this work for free, nada, rien, niente, ingenting...

Fred Basset
22nd April 2009, 14:00
I said reasons why he's been banned are none of your business, I knew you were action on behalf of ioan and told you how long he's been banned for, and that's it. When/if ioan will back, I am ready to discuss with him his ban and reasons :)

I don't know about other Mods but I could say the same...a little more help, politeness, understanding and support from the members would be very apprecciated after all we do all this work for free, nada, rien, niente, ingenting...

Yeah but Pino, your a mod cos you want to be one LOL and take the reporting posts i did.. it would of been nice over that 27hrs of inactivity (inc the one word that was in the thread header) to of just had a mod say "thanks"... thats all, just one word but there was nothing at all and so to get the comments like " i allowed you back on this forum" and others above doesn't make it sound all that good. If i talked to my employees here like mods talk to people, i wouldn't have good hard working employees.. its all about give and take jmofwiw

and thats all i got to say on it.. have to keep the USA wheels of industry lubricated :up:

markabilly
22nd April 2009, 14:40
:love:
happy now

BTW I do all this work for free too :arrows:

schmenke
22nd April 2009, 16:29
...Why not just put the reason member x was banned and the length of the ban somewhere on the forum......on this sub-forum seems as good as any....so atleast we can see what's what...

What purpose would that serve?
Personally, I don't need to know the specifics of why a member was banned. I find the mods here quite lenient and if a member was banned, it’s obviously because they were blatantly violating the rules of the board, which are available for all to see.
:mark:

patnicholls
22nd April 2009, 16:48
What purpose would that serve?
Personally, I don't need to know the specifics of why a member was banned. I find the mods here quite lenient and if a member was banned, it’s obviously because they were blatantly violating the rules of the board, which are available for all to see.
:mark:

:up:

Where's the smiley for 'you've hit the nail on the head'? :p

To add to that: if I was a new member innocently venturing onto here for the first time, the last thing I'd want to see would be a list of who's banned and why as a public display!

Bezza
22nd April 2009, 17:58
I would like to say I am shocked that austin brammer has been banned. The mods are over sensitive...

22nd April 2009, 18:36

Which, from here, looks like you can't give a reasonable reason.

Maybe you can, if so why not say?

That's the problem, Pino....maybe by being so unreasonable, it's not helping you get the
little more help, politeness, understanding and support from the members that you request....maybe?

BDunnell
22nd April 2009, 19:08
I agree with schmenke on that point. It's generally quite obvious to most.

markabilly
23rd April 2009, 02:25
if poor ioan was banned becuase of something he said about me, I forgive him for his transgressions and i am shocked that he would be so banned for such.

indeeed, i miss the little ionian.....

OTOH, if he was talikng about momma...well, ban him most permanently

and as to dunnell, well whatever....

Garry Walker
25th April 2009, 11:56

Pretty much the same. I was banned for a month, no email message, nothing. Except the login page stated "the ban will never be lifted" When I sent a mail, there was no reply. Only a private message telling me that I am banned, which I only managed to read after the ban.

But the real comedy is when a moderator gives you 3 warning points for asking someone, in a joking manner, if he had ever showered.

RaceFanStan
25th April 2009, 16:52
if poor ioan was banned becuase of something he said about me, I forgive him for his transgressions and i am shocked that he would be so banned for such.

indeeed, i miss the little ionian.....
markabilly, I don't think it was just something ioan said about you.
I am sure the moderator gave ioan several warnings before the ban.

Remember a forum is for discussions & NOT a place for flaming other posters.
Expressing someone's opinion is fine, discuss a topic but DON'T make it personal.

harsha
11th May 2009, 09:43
didn't know Ioan was banned...hope it's not permanent

nice guy to chat around with,very fun guy too

555-04Q2
11th May 2009, 16:36
Hey mods...I've been wondering where ioan was, then I noticed he has been banned. What happened and is it temporary or permanent :?:

Firstgear
11th May 2009, 16:45
I believe he has accepted the position of strategist at Ferrari that he was talking about a couple of weeks ago. :D

patnicholls
11th May 2009, 17:01
In answer to the ioan question, it wasn't me who banned him but I believe all discussion is kept in here so I've merged the threads...

555-04Q2
12th May 2009, 07:19
I want ioan back or I'm gonna burn down the house...

leopard
12th May 2009, 08:29
Those are not posting can't be perceived being banned, they might be browsing ...

markabilly
12th May 2009, 14:12
I believe he has accepted the position of strategist at Ferrari that he was talking about a couple of weeks ago. :D
Then I was hoping results would be different...........but based on spain gp, either he did not go there or his IQ is at least 60 points less than what I thought

pettersolberg29
31st May 2009, 18:58
I cannot believe anyone is moaning about the Mods on this forum! You should look on a couple of othets - they're much worse. This is the only forum I know where there isnt constant swearing, insulting, rowing and this must at least be partly attributed to the good work of the Mods.

Now before I sound stuck up and teachers pet, I'll stop! Keep up the good work Mods.

pettersolberg29
2nd June 2009, 15:28
I'm waiting ;)