PDA

View Full Version : BBC4 programmes on Stewart, Clark, Graham Hill

patnicholls
20th April 2009, 12:48
For those with access to BBC's iPlayer, BBC4 are showing a series of programmes on some of the British F1 World Champions. I managed to miss the one on Jackie Stewart, but on Saturday 7pm there was one on Jim Clark which was excellent and can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jw9cw/Jim_Clark_The_Quiet_Champion/

Next week's will be on Graham Hill - I don't know what else is planned.

ArrowsFA1
20th April 2009, 13:05
All three are superb :up:

UltimateDanGTR
20th April 2009, 15:27
I saw the Jackie Stewart one, didnt realise the whole thing was a series. but excellent nonetheles!

hope they do one on James Hunt and Nigel mansell, they would be interesting.

THE_LIBERATOR
20th April 2009, 23:20
I too missed the Jackie Stewart documentary but I highly recomend the Jim Clark one. Very pleased to hear there will at least be one more, if it's of the same standard as the Clark one I'll be very happy. Perhaps they will repeat Stewart, really hope so.

MrJan
20th April 2009, 23:44
I've seen sort of half of both of the ones so far. Was a bit disappointed that they didn't do more on Jim Clark doing his rallying, or even properly explain the race he was in when he died.

All in all they are fairly decent programmes, especially when you consider the clap trap that usually gets wheeled out (get it? ;) ) for motorsport documentaries.

Sonic
21st April 2009, 13:57
Good for the video footage of the mega cars if nothing else.

Dave B
21st April 2009, 15:29
In the planner, I need to find time to watch the first one!

BDunnell
21st April 2009, 23:06
I've seen sort of half of both of the ones so far. Was a bit disappointed that they didn't do more on Jim Clark doing his rallying, or even properly explain the race he was in when he died.

I was very tired when the Clark one came on (I only caught the early morning showing) but stayed up specifically to see whether there was any footage of the 1966 RAC Rally, or anything relating to it. I must say I was really disappointed there wasn't. I believe his co-driver Brian Melia is still alive, unless anyone can correct this, so there could have been at least one interview opportunity there. It was, after all, one of his greatest achievements.

However, it must take a lot to get such a programme on a major network nowadays, and in spite of this and the over-intrusive 'mood music' in both the Clark and Stewart documentaries, both were well worth watching. I was genuinely moved by the section in the Stewart programme about François Cevert, and I rarely am genuinely moved by things I see on the television about people I never knew, don't know, nor am never likely to know.

UltimateDanGTR
22nd April 2009, 07:15
I dont know why, but I prefered the stewart one to the Clark one.

although they're still great ofcourse........

ArrowsFA1
22nd April 2009, 08:02
I was genuinely moved by the section in the Stewart programme about François Cevert...
Me too and I felt the same when Dan Gurney spoke about Jim Clark.

I wish the Clark programme had been longer, but as you say getting this kind of programme onto the BBC is a credit to everyone involved. I saw the Graham Hill programme on ESPN Classic a while ago and am looking forward to seeing it again.

The programmes are produced by MSP (http://www.markstewartproductions.com) and as they say on their website: "the quality of our work reflects one simple fact: we're passionate about what we do" and I think that shows.

Rodriguez 917
24th April 2009, 22:00
There are so many programmes on Stewart, it was great to hear interviews of Clark that I hadn't heard before.

I'd love to see programmes on the Rodriguez brothers, Jo Siffert, Ronnie Peterson and Tom Pryce. It would be good to see a programme on some less well known drivers like Ignazio Giunti, Guy Moll or Onfre Marinmon.

MrJan
24th April 2009, 23:26
Me too and I felt the same when Dan Gurney spoke about Jim Clark.

I wish the Clark programme had been longer, but as you say getting this kind of programme onto the BBC is a credit to everyone involved. I saw the Graham Hill programme on ESPN Classic a while ago and am looking forward to seeing it again.

The programmes are produced by MSP (http://www.markstewartproductions.com) and as they say on their website: "the quality of our work reflects one simple fact: we're passionate about what we do" and I think that shows.

:up: Definately shows that they are passionate, there aren't many documentaries about motorsport which actually get the seal of approval from the fans.

Also agree about Dan Gurney, he was obviously still really affected by it all these years later which surprised me a bit.

yodasarmpit
24th April 2009, 23:54
I just watched the Jim Clark one, thanks for reminding me.

stevie_gerrard
27th April 2009, 11:27
I've downloaded the graham hill one to watch, unfortunately missed the other two. Looks very good though :up:

wedge
21st June 2009, 11:47
They showed them all in one go last night so make sure you've got hours to spare this week if you're going to download them all!