PDA

View Full Version : Should there be an ongoing "Danica Puts blames another driver for her own mistake and hits/taps/yells at" thread this season ???

SoCalPVguy
13th April 2009, 18:27
Already one race - one crash - one incident - of the "princess" assaulting another driver by laying her hands on, breating, yelling, and trying to blame others for her mistake. These guys need to tell the "princess" that if she ever touches any one of them again, they'll drop her like any other male driver.

PS: Princess danica made "Who's Hot / Who's not" feature in Sports Illustrated this week.... And danicaFan, it was for "NOT hot".

Patrick crashes out of season-opener
By MIKE HARRIS,
AP Auto Racing Writer
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) Danica Patrick's season got off to a tough start after she crashed out early in the season-opening Honda Grand Prix.
She was running ninth in the 22-car field on Sunday when rookie Raphael Matos tried to pass as the two went into one of the tightest turns on the 1.8-mile, 14-turn temporary street circuit.
Both cars crashed, with Patrick's Andretti Green Racing entry slamming hard, rear end first into a tire barrier.
As the uninjured drivers walked away, Patrick patted Matos on the helmet as if to say, "Use your head." The two then waited for a ride back to the pits, with a lively discussion taking place as Matos sat on a wall and Patrick stood in front of him.
Patrick, who has been known to blow up at other drivers in similar circumstances, was calm after she got back to the team's pit.
"It's not exactly the ideal spot to pass," she said. "We were going into the fast chicane there and there's no room, there's no room for two people. ... I was looking in my mirrors and I saw him. He just wasn't all the way up next to me."
Matos, making his IndyCar debut with the Luczo Dragon team, wasn't ready to take the blame.
"We just had a very unfortunate racing accident," the Brazilian said. "It shouldn't have happened. Danica made a big mistake passing a lapped car and I really had a good run on her. I was halfway up on her. I thought she'd give me enough room to pass, but she didn't."
Patrick, the only woman in the field, ended her day in 19th and Matos was 20th. Each completed just 31 of 100 laps.

garyshell
13th April 2009, 18:45
As the uninjured drivers walked away, Patrick patted Matos on the helmet as if to say, "Use your head." The two then waited for a ride back to the pits, with a lively discussion taking place as Matos sat on a wall and Patrick stood in front of him.

The "pat" I saw on TV was on the shoulders and not the helmet. And the "lively" discussion didn't appear to be all that animated. We couldn't see her face, but Matos certainly didn't look like someone who was being ranted at. All in all, I'd have to say the princess deported herself a lot better than she has in the past during much less significant transgressions.

Gary

SarahFan
13th April 2009, 18:46
"We just had a very unfortunate racing accident," the Brazilian said. "It shouldn't have happened. Danica made a big mistake passing a lapped car and I really had a good run on her. I was halfway up on her. I thought she'd give me enough room to pass, but she didn't."

part of racing is occasionally being passed

bzcam
13th April 2009, 18:47
Frankly, I'd rather have a, "Who's Going To Win That's Not Penske, Ganassi, or AGR?" thread. It's almost a foregone conclusion that Danica's inability to win at this (or any other) level is always going to be someone else's fault. OTH, with NHL looking good and Dale Coyne fielding a competative car, and KV looking better, we might actually have a chance to break out of the big three mafia and see some real competition this year.

BZ

garyshell
13th April 2009, 18:53
part of racing is occasionally being passed

Agreed and also knowing that being "half way up on her" is not a pass. There is plenty of blame to go around on this racing incident.

Gary

SarahFan
13th April 2009, 18:55
Agreed and also knowing that being "half way up on her" is not a pass. There is plenty of blame to go around on this racing incident.

Gary

true true....the only who is suggesting otherwise is Danica

garyshell
13th April 2009, 18:58
true true....the only who is suggesting otherwise is Danica

To be honest, I haven't seen either of 'em owning up to their own culpability in this.

Gary

SoCalPVguy
13th April 2009, 19:04
To be honest, I haven't seen either of 'em owning up to their own culpability in this. Gary

My take is that after the princess got agressive and "attacked" (albeit mildy) matos for all the blame, any incentive for matos to review the incident fairly disappeared. She put ALL the blame on him so he would be crazy to even try and discuss a the fair share blame of a racing incident.

TURN3
13th April 2009, 19:04
There probably isn't anybody that has become more anti-Danica than me over the past 2 years. Her hype that has come as a result of anything but racing talent coupled with her apparent belief that she should be appointed to a position based on the hype has just ruined any "root for the underdog" feelings I used to have for her. The clashes and tantrums going back to her last season at RLR speak for themselves and also tarnished her image. So to be clear, her history is less than stellar.

When I seen her reaction on TV with Matos, it was far from berating him. She seemed to behave like a professional should for the first time in her career. She deserves credit for acting in an acceptable manner just as she deserves negative credit for acting like a spoiled brat all those other times. I think her history preceeded her her in terms of that article being written.

It was a true racing incident, right or wrong, as mentioned here part of racing is trying to pass the person in front of you. Crashes happen, some more stupidly caused than others, but it happens to everybody. I think it was an optimistic move on Matos's part but Danica clearly saw him and could've avoided the contact. Give them both credit for trying to do their jobs and both acted withing their professional guidelines...this time.

garyshell
13th April 2009, 19:08
My take is that after the princess got agressive and "attacked" (albeit mildy) matos for all the blame, any incentive for matos to review the incident fairly disappeared. She put ALL the blame on him so he would be crazy to even try and discuss a the fair share blame of a racing incident.

I see that in just the opposite way. Because he DIDN'T seize the opportunity to shoulder part of the blame (which clearly he does share in) it is now a he said, she said argument. If he had shouldered his share he could have turned the tables on the princess.

Gary

garyshell
13th April 2009, 19:10
There probably isn't anybody that has become more anti-Danica than me over the past 2 years. Her hype that has come as a result of anything but racing talent coupled with her apparent belief that she should be appointed to a position based on the hype has just ruined any "root for the underdog" feelings I used to have for her. The clashes and tantrums going back to her last season at RLR speak for themselves and also tarnished her image. So to be clear, her history is less than stellar.

When I seen her reaction on TV with Matos, it was far from berating him. She seemed to behave like a professional should for the first time in her career. She deserves credit for acting in an acceptable manner just as she deserves negative credit for acting like a spoiled brat all those other times. I think her history preceeded her her in terms of that article being written.

It was a true racing incident, right or wrong, as mentioned here part of racing is trying to pass the person in front of you. Crashes happen, some more stupidly caused than others, but it happens to everybody. I think it was an optimistic move on Matos's part but Danica clearly saw him and could've avoided the contact. Give them both credit for trying to do their jobs and both acted withing their professional guidelines...this time.

Can I get an "amen", brothers and sisters? :angel: :angel: :angel:

Gary

beachbum
13th April 2009, 19:56
Can I get an "amen", brothers and sisters? :angel: :angel: :angel:

GaryAmen.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2009, 00:52
Amen Brother, It was the first time she got knocked out where she didn't go postal on the perp. And in this case, Mato's had no business sneaking up the side of her where he did. I don't like her, but fair is fair, and she handled herself in an appropriate manner as far as I am concerned.

We dont' need this nasty idea for a thread. AS annoying as she can be, respect her as a competitor and DanicaFan ( as goofy as some of his posts can be ) as a forum member and strike this whole idea.

If she screws up in the future, we will have a thread on it I am sure, but after this one, she deserves the kudo's for taking bitter medicine well.

anthonyvop
14th April 2009, 01:48
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/153239-irl-indycar-series-kicks-of-the-season-with-another-danica-controversy

SoCalPVguy
14th April 2009, 03:22
We dont' need this nasty idea for a thread. AS annoying as she can be, respect her as a competitor and DanicaFan ( as goofy as some of his posts can be ) as a forum member and strike this whole idea.

I disagree that this is not an appropriate thread for this forum.

For you that didn't click on Anthony's link (above), it's copied in below. This take is clearly in agreement with mine and that is ...

1. Danica's behavior with other drivers after any incident is an ongoing saga and a legitimate topic of discussion for this forum. So far: 1-race, 1-incident (100% rate).

2. Like her or not; she is the biggest driver story in the IRL series (win or lose, lose, lose...)

3. If she was a man and acted like this, somebody would have decked her a long time ago.

4. The only mass media attention the last race garnered were stories of the Patrick and Matos' "incident" and confrontation - running about 100:1 vs. stories of who actually won the race.

IRL IndyCar Series Kicks of the Season with Another Danica Controversy

by Tony Castaneira (Analyst)

Once again Danica Patrick has managed to steal the spotlight from the rest of the IndyCar Series field. Since her arrival to Indycars Ms. Patrick has been a media lighting rod. Her actions off the track have, in many ways, overshadowed her on-track accomplishments.

Temper tantrums, physical altercations, and bikini modeling has helped secure her place as the IRL’s most recognizable face. Hardly a day goes by where her name does not create a polarizing effect among racing fans and racing drivers alike.

For some, she is the face and future of the series as she brings attention to their favorite sport that otherwise would be ignored by the non-racing media. They look at her as a ground-breaking athlete who has not only crossed the gender barrier but tore it down.

For others she is a spoiled, media darling who has used her gender to blur the fact she is not that good.

Whichever side of the debate you land on there is no denying she brings much needed attention to the sport.

This brings us to the latest Danica incident.

Forget the IndyCar Series started their season in St Petersburg with Ryan Briscoe earning a victory for Penske or the amazing podium finishes of Ryan Hunter-Reay and Justin Wilson.

What is all abuzz on the Internet was the latest Danica Patrick incident. This time it involves IndyCar Series rookie Raphael Matos.

Notice I have been saying “incident” not accident. With Ms. Patrick it is never only what happens on the track but her actions afterward, which combine into an “incident.”

The latest Danica incident happened mid-race on the streets of St. Petersburg.
Matos attempted a pass after Patrick had been slowed up while passing a back-marker on the tight course.

Using his momentum, “Rapha” dove inside the Andretti Green Racing Dallara of Ms. Patrick but she maintained her racing line, which caused them to come together sending them both hard into the barriers.

At first view it appears that Matos was at fault as Ms. Patrick had maintained her line. The VERSUS Network did an excellent job of following the incident, with various camera angles of the incident including an in-car shot from Danica’s car.

This is when what should have been just another racing accident turned into a “Danica Incident.”

Once they extricated themselves from the battered wreckage, Patrick tapped Matos on the helmet as if to say "Use your head." Then the two had what could best be called a lively discussion while they waited for their ride back to pits.

Danica has a history of being “physical" with other drivers who dare to be involved in a wreck with her.

Jaques Lazier in the 2005 Fontana race and Dan Wheldon at Milwaukee in 2007 have both felt her well publicized wrath.

Some see Patrick as a “feisty" woman who won’t allow herself to be pushed around by anyone. Many see her as a girl who hides behind her gender, knowing no one will dares to respond physically with a female.

Having spent numerous times conversing with Matos, I can assure you if Danica had been a man he would have sternly if not physically, communicated his displeasure with the “tap.”

SarahFan
14th April 2009, 03:43
And in this case, Mato's had no business sneaking up the side of her where he did. .

sneaking?

she bobbled 2 corners prior and he was on her ass and a run 90% of car length up on her side where she addmitted she saw him...

sneaking?

NickFalzone
14th April 2009, 03:59
Matos barely made it half up on her car, what's this 90% bs? There's not a single camera angle that shows him getting much more than 40% up on her, except for a cheesy long zoom shot from the front that gives no real clues about their distance. I'm not saying she's entirely blameless in the incident, but if you're going to blame her at least play fair. I can guarantee that if she was the one that made Rafa's move, everyone here would be calling for license to be taken away. It was an overly optimistic rookie mistake. Rafa is a talented driver, but he was mostly at fault here.

SarahFan
14th April 2009, 04:24
Matos barely made it half up on her car, what's this 90% bs? There's not a single camera angle that shows him getting much more than 40% up on her, except for a cheesy long zoom shot from the front that gives no real clues about their distance. I'm not saying she's entirely blameless in the incident, but if you're going to blame her at least play fair. I can guarantee that if she was the one that made Rafa's move, everyone here would be calling for license to be taken away. It was an overly optimistic rookie mistake. Rafa is a talented driver, but he was mostly at fault here.

there is a photo that clearly shows 90%...

and noone is claiming matos wasn't at fault..

simply stateing he hardly snuck up on her........

garyshell
14th April 2009, 04:51
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/153239-irl-indycar-series-kicks-of-the-season-with-another-danica-controversy

I started reading this and thought who is this buffoon that thought:

Danica Patrick has managed to steal the spotlight from the rest of the IndyCar Series field

and

What is all abuzz on the Internet

Who is this guy? Where is he seeing all this buzz? How could he twist this into Danica stealing the spotlight?

And then I found:

http://bleacherreport.com/users/24465-Tony-Castaneira

Way to go Anthony, a little shameless self promotion. Yawn.

Gary

garyshell
14th April 2009, 04:55
there is a photo that clearly shows 90%...

Where? Not the one you posted a link to that was a long front on shot, I hope. There is no way to determine how far alongside he was from a telephoto shot. Any photographer will tell you a telephoto lens severly distorts perspectives.

Gary

SarahFan
14th April 2009, 05:02
Where? Not the one you posted a link to that was a long front on shot, I hope. There is no way to determine how far alongside he was from a telephoto shot. Any photographer will tell you a telephoto lens severly distorts perspectives.

Gary

I didn't post it.... but its there for all to see.....determine how far you think...me.. i say it looks 90% to me... and i said that before i saw the photo

and you can focus on the photo all you like...... but a poster suggested matos snuck up on her..... that is very clearly not the case

garyshell
14th April 2009, 05:14
I didn't post it.... but its there for all to see.....determine how far you think...me.. i say it looks 90% to me... and i said that before i saw the photo

and you can focus on the photo all you like...... but a poster suggested matos snuck up on her..... that is very clearly not the case

Like I said before from a straight on telephoto shot, like that, there is no way to determine how far along side he was. I agree he didn't sneak up on her, but even 90% is not a pass and she gets the line. He is the one who has to give way in that case. Rules is rules. Clearly she COULD have prevented it by giving way, but is not required to do so. That's why it was a racing incident.

Gary

SarahFan
14th April 2009, 05:22
Like I said before from a straight on telephoto shot, like that, there is no way to determine how far along side he was. I agree he didn't sneak up on her, but even 90% is not a pass and she gets the line. He is the one who has to give way in that case. Rules is rules. Clearly she COULD have prevented it by giving way, but is not required to do so. That's why it was a racing incident.

Gary

but of coarse we have more than a telephoto shot... we have race footage... which what I commented on originally.... then the photo was posted which further looks like 90% to me...

who said she was required todo anything at all ..

man gary some time your need for an argument gets the better of you...

read my first post on the subject

beachbum
14th April 2009, 12:07
The topic of who was at fault can go on forever without resolution. Trying to determine the decisions made in the cockpits from a few video clips is going to be inconclusive. The result is obvious, but we never saw a view from Matos, so we don't know if the gap looked big enough or not. If anything, it looked like both drivers expected the other to do something they didn't do. Matos probably thought Danica would leave the gap open, and Danica probably thought Matos wouldn't stick his nose inside. It wasn't the only incident at St Pete where something similar happened (try turn 1 lap 1). It was just the biggest crash.

IMHO, both drivers acted like professionals after the accident. It was a very big hit for both, and I suspect when they got out of the cars they were both focused on checking if all of the fingers and toes worked and if the other driver was ok. The question of fault may have come up in a debrief later.

bblocker68
14th April 2009, 15:48
Can't believe it, but I'd easily defend her ion this one. The corner was her's and that is a dangerous and stupid place to try to pull the pass.