PDA

View Full Version : What's with the taps UK?

A.F.F.
12th April 2009, 18:42
Where's the logic with placing hot and cold water taps to both sides of the sink ??? Plus there's nothing to close the sink in order to mix the water ?? I burnt and froze my hands by washing them everytime? How do you do that? :)

Eki
12th April 2009, 18:54
Where's the logic with placing hot and cold water taps to both sides of the sink ??? Plus there's nothing to close the sink in order to mix the water ?? I burnt and froze my hands by washing them everytime? How do you do that? :)
It's because the British health regulations. They fear bacteria would start growing in the tap if hot and cold water are mixed in it.

J4MIE
12th April 2009, 19:20
Any traveller knows to carry a sink plug with them anywhere they go :)

A.F.F.
12th April 2009, 20:45

Dammit... I missed that memo.

driveace
12th April 2009, 20:51
SO next time you find a sink with a plug, its yours,in your pocket then next time you find a sink with NO plug ,put your newly aquired plug in MIX the water and DONT burn your hands .
EASY PEESY !

Daniel
12th April 2009, 21:52
I agree AFF. Wtf's with not having mixer taps?

J4MIE
12th April 2009, 21:57
I have a mixer tap in my kitchen :D

Eki
12th April 2009, 21:59
You're an outlaw.

yodasarmpit
12th April 2009, 22:13
I agree AFF. Wtf's with not having mixer taps?

Hmm, pretty much everyone has mixer taps in the kitchen, but for some reason the bathroom is usually separate.
Odd that I've never noticed that before, or cared for that matter.

Drew
12th April 2009, 22:22
At home if you have the hot water tap running a bit and not too much, it comes out warm :p :

I would like to ask Europe why ovens, toasters and kettles seem to be an undeserved luxury in flats :confused:

A.F.F.
12th April 2009, 23:23
Odd that I've never noticed that before, or cared for that matter.

Maybe that is the problem you folks :p :

Daniel
12th April 2009, 23:24
Well la dee da Rockefeller! :p

J4MIE
13th April 2009, 01:56
What can I say, I like to live life on the edge :cool:

RaceFanStan
13th April 2009, 02:04
A resourceful traveller who didn't carry a sink plug could improvise,
a rolled-up wad of paper towel or toilet paper would work nicely.
NEXT !!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/pc.gif

Easy Drifter
13th April 2009, 04:07
Stan: You have spent too much time in race track washroms!

markabilly
13th April 2009, 04:54
A resourceful traveller who didn't carry a sink plug could improvise,
a rolled-up wad of paper towel or toilet paper would work nicely.
NEXT !!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/pc.gif
Sound like rich folk to me....carrying their own toilET paper with them all rolled up in a wad.

I always carry my old corn cob, to remind me of the comforts of home. Don't leave home without it....

and we keep the lights on, so it is easier to hit what we are aiming at

Easy Drifter
13th April 2009, 08:13
'we are aiming at' ?????
Is it so bad that you need help now?----------OR??????? :eek:

donKey jote
13th April 2009, 09:46
where others would be aiming at the light bulb, markabilly needs a blue pill so as not to pee on his feet :dozey: :p :
:arrows:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

markabilly
13th April 2009, 11:17
??You guys pee on the light bulbs??
no wonder you can not see, stumble around in the dark, telling dumb jokes, can't figure out points of geograhy or find your own butts....

Brown, Jon Brow
13th April 2009, 11:49
All the taps in my house are mixers

fandango
13th April 2009, 14:19
It's because the British health regulations. They fear bacteria would start growing in the tap if hot and cold water are mixed in it.

I read somewhere it was to do with different water pressure.

Eki
13th April 2009, 14:48
I read somewhere it was to do with different water pressure.
One Finnish tap maker company once said in a newspaper that the British health regulations prohibited them from exporting mixer taps to Britain. It was some years ago though.

Alexamateo
13th April 2009, 15:13
I always carry my old corn cob, to remind me of the comforts of home. Don't leave home without it....

I KNEW you were from the Ozarks! :D Say Hi to Ma and Pa Kettle for me will ya? :p :

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2009, 00:26
So let me get this, mixer taps were outlawed in Britain because they thought bacteria growth would grow? Good lord that means us North Americans must be bacteria ridden. The only taps in Canada that have the separate taps are the ones imported from Britain and I couldn't figure out the point. Older buildings built at a time when we saw more British products ( due to tariff's with the Yanks this was more common during the 30's to 50's) have those goofy taps and I never knew WHY, just that I want to take a large hammer to them....

Daniel
14th April 2009, 00:27
So let me get this, mixer taps were outlawed in Britain because they thought bacteria growth would grow? Good lord that means us North Americans must be bacteria ridden. The only taps in Canada that have the separate taps are the ones imported from Britain and I couldn't figure out the point. Older buildings built at a time when we saw more British products ( due to tariff's with the Yanks this was more common during the 30's to 50's) have those goofy taps and I never knew WHY, just that I want to take a large hammer to them....
You've made the mistake of listening to Eki :p You can get mixer taps here, it's just that most places don't have them.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2009, 01:46
You've made the mistake of listening to Eki :p You can get mixer taps here, it's just that most places don't have them.

Daniel, those independent taps are for that reason that Eki surprised ( even a blind squirrel finds the odd nut ya know) but I cant figure out why anyone would think that logical and I wont even bring up the goofy Newfoundlanders I know of who put the hot and cold opposite sides of the faucet compared to the rest of North America for reasons I have never fathomed....

Eki
14th April 2009, 07:02
It was probably over ten years ago that I read it. Maybe they have changed the regulations, but most places are over 10 years old.

Mark
14th April 2009, 07:45
My kitchen and bath taps are mixers, but the bathroom sink is seperate.

The regulations don't outlaw mixer taps, just that the water cannot mix inside the tap, it has to come out as two seperate streams.

Public toilets can be a problem, although the ones in our office here are mixer taps, the ones in other buildings aren't. I tend to try turning on the hot tap and catch that breif period between it being cold and too hot!

GridGirl
14th April 2009, 08:16
What annoys me about mixers taps is the fact that I always realise I've put my toothbrush complete with tootpaste under the warm water when its too late. You don't get that problem with separate taps as you automatically go for the cold tap on the left hand side. :p

Mark
14th April 2009, 08:43
What annoys me about mixers taps is the fact that I always realise I've put my toothbrush complete with tootpaste under the warm water when its too late. You don't get that problem with separate taps as you automatically go for the cold tap on the left hand side. :p

Except it's not always on the left hand side :p

Daniel
14th April 2009, 08:45
Yeah. For some reason the taps in our bathroon basin are back to front :mark:

GridGirl
14th April 2009, 12:59
I've never had a sink where the cold tap wasn't on the left and the hot tap on the right. Dyslexic plumbers maybe? :s

MrJan
14th April 2009, 13:14
I've never had a sink where the cold tap wasn't on the left and the hot tap on the right. Dyslexic plumbers maybe? :s

All the taps in my house have the cold tap on the right, in fact most of the taps I've used do it that way :p :

One of our mixer taps does turn the wrong way though, so that people go to turn it off and then end up soaking everything :D

Hazell B
14th April 2009, 13:15
.... DONT burn your hands .

You can't burn your hands with water.
It's callled scalding ;)

I've just realised our bathroom sink's taps are the wrong way around if it's usually cold to the left and hot to the right :s
Probably shouldn't have done the plumbing ourselves, then ...... :p :

GridGirl
14th April 2009, 13:38
Ohh now I'm think the two houses I've lived have both had them the wrong way round. :s Must be a Midlands thing! Oh well, I know which way I need to go to get the cold tap in my bathroom anyway.

Mark
14th April 2009, 13:48
*me thinks*
It seems to be random I think.
Bath, hot on right.
Bathroom Sink, hot on left.
Kitchen sink, hot on left.
Shower, hot turn to left.

So it even varies within the same room never mind the same house or area!

schmenke
14th April 2009, 14:36
Yeah. For some reason the taps in our bathroon basin are back to front :mark:

That's against building code regulations around here :mark:

steve_spackman
14th April 2009, 14:41

i hear ya

steve_spackman
14th April 2009, 14:42
That's against building code regulations around here :mark:

how come??

schmenke
14th April 2009, 15:29
how come??

To minimise the risk of scalding.

J4MIE
14th April 2009, 21:38
I spent ages at work today waiting for the warm water to warm up out of the tap, then I realised I had the cold on :s tareup:

I never thought that this could prove to be an entertaining discussion to be honest :D

schmenke
14th April 2009, 22:17
...I never thought that this could prove to be an entertaining discussion to be honest :D

Indeed. I lilke the flowing nature of this thread.

Easy Drifter
15th April 2009, 00:49
Just hope it doesn't go down the drain.