PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Uh Oh

Easy Drifter
10th April 2009, 05:04
In Halton region north west of Toronto there is at least one Ford Crown Victoria running around with what appears to be a taxi sign on the roof. It has just a phone #. Call the number and the answer is 'Halton Regional Police'! :eek:
An unmarked car used for traffic enforcement. By the time you would spot the lights behind the grill, game over.
Info and picture on the CASC web site. :D

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2009, 05:47
In Halton region north west of Toronto there is at least one Ford Crown Victoria running around with what appears to be a taxi sign on the roof. It has just a phone #. Call the number and the answer is 'Halton Regional Police'! :eek:
An unmarked car used for traffic enforcement. By the time you would spot the lights behind the grill, game over.

THAT's just DIRTY pool...lol

I like the ole OPP. Those holstein paint jobs on their cars make them stand out eh?

Daniel
10th April 2009, 10:50
Locally the Police have one of these :D

http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AETA69544/AETV23778477_1c.jpg

MrJan
10th April 2009, 11:27
I've always thought police should have more normal cars, usually it's all quick Volvos or Mondeo STs, if they rolled around in a tweaked Skyline they could catch so many little boys after a race that the number of young driver accidents would plummet due to evry little scroat being banned :D

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2009, 19:52
Jan, you have been over here and you probably have noticed most police cars over here are "interceptor" versions of 4 door sedans. They tend to be heavier v8 powered cars , with partitions between the front and rear seats, and modifications for police use. The Ford Crown Victoria seems be the vehicle of choice in Canada, but Dodge Charger is one I have seen a lot of down in the US for highway work. I wouldn't want to try to out run one......

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2009, 19:55
Would you think you could out run this guy?

Easy Drifter
10th April 2009, 22:01
It is even harder to outrun a radio.

MrJan
11th April 2009, 12:34

Over here I could, I'd just introduce it the the mortal enemy of the Yank tank, a twisty country lane :D :D There are roads near me that those things probably couldn't even fit down :laugh:

Of course it's ideal for highway patrol over the pond, lots of grunt and looks scary as **** :D

Daniel
11th April 2009, 17:23
Over here I could, I'd just introduce it the the mortal enemy of the Yank tank, a twisty country lane :D :D There are roads near me that those things probably couldn't even fit down :laugh:

Of course it's ideal for highway patrol over the pond, lots of grunt and looks scary as **** :D
Mid engined car vs front engined yank tank :p I think it'd have a chance.

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2009, 19:30

I have driven a Charger, they handle pretty decent, and a Hemi v-8 with 400 hp is ideal to discourage people from taking a run. In its natural element, it is a pretty good car for the job.

You Brits have those paved cart paths that you call side roads and I suspect the Charger would have to work pretty hard on, but hey, that thing looks like it would bash the hedges out of the way!!!

schmenke
14th April 2009, 19:20

The Calgary municipal police are now using those.

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 20:08
Schmenke, growing up in Oshawa, we see nothing but Impalas and the odd Crown Vic ( which were bought to great horror of many in this GM town ).

The OPP uses Crown Vic's and GMC Yukon's...

schmenke
20th April 2009, 15:55
The RCMP typically uses the Crown Vics as their highway cruisers around here.

20th April 2009, 19:09
Well, in Torino they have Alfa Romeo's for the Carabineri and Polizia.

Dodge Charger wouldn't see one of those on anything with a twist.

Although you could just wait for it to rust and break-down before doing the bank job. It would save you the cost of a Mini Cooper and coach, too.

Jag_Warrior
21st April 2009, 20:05
It is even harder to outrun a radio.

Yeah, people never seem to understand how police pursuits (really) work until it's too late. Cops (in the U.S. anyway) will try to stay with you for as long as possible. But all they HAVE to do is identify your tag number and if possible, the driver.

I've ridden in a Charger R/T with AWD. If ones escape depends on finding a road that is just wide enough for say a WRX or an EVO, but too narrow for a Dodge Charger or a Crown Vic, I'd say you're already skating on very thin ice. I'm not sure what the police package consists of, or whether it has the "Hemi" with AWD or not. But the one I rode in was d#mn sure fast enough (massive torque!) and it handled very well. As well as my WRX with the suspension upgrades? No. Would it outrun an Enzo or a Porsche going through twisty bits? No. Would it allow the cop to get close enough, long enough, to get the tag number? I dunno. But I wouldn't want to bet my license on it. :p :

A former colleague of mine's kid had one of those crotch-rocket, wannabe race bikes. He was blasting along a local road that a lot of people use for speed runs. He whizzed by a cop parked on the side of the road, and didn't see him until the cop had pulled in behind him and hit the lights. Racer Boy twisted the throttle and disappeared. He thought he was hot stuff since the cop didn't even make an effort to catch him. The next day two State Troopers showed up at my pal's house and wrote the kid a stack of tickets: reckless driving, evading police, etc. He lost his license for six months. And when he got it back, he had to get SR22 insurance. He couldn't afford insurance on the bike so he had to sell it.

I cleaned up my driving habits (pretty much ;) ) after a judge asked me if I liked walking. I never got caught evading the police. But considering the risks to yourself, others on the road and the cop himself (you'll likely be charged if he crashes), I'd stop for a cop on a bicycle these days.

But that Charger is pretty bad ass, IMO. Maybe they'll make another Blues Brothers movie (cop engine, cop suspension, etc.)... and not muck it up this time. :D