PDA

View Full Version : 25 Or 30 Races In A Season?

cynisca
8th April 2009, 18:14
After I have seen on Wikipedia the upcoming Grand Prixs in the next two seasons. What do you think of a season with 25-30 races? I know it doesn't probably come but what you think about it? Does it work like in the NASCAR? They have even 35 races in a season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Formula_One_season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Formula_One_season

Tazio
8th April 2009, 18:41
I think they should have one continuous race all year long. Make it into a reality show,
with extra points given to the pilot that shags the most wool :dozey:

cynisca
8th April 2009, 19:14
I think they should have one continuous race all year long. Make it into a reality show,

What's your problem?

Sonic
8th April 2009, 19:19
Ok :rolleyes:

Back to the thread. I'd be happy to see 20 GP's in a year as there is no testing now. But anymore than that would be a logistical nightmare!!!!

Tazio
8th April 2009, 19:21
What's your problem?

Who wants to know?

cynisca
8th April 2009, 19:27
Ok :rolleyes:

I hate sarcasm.

Back to the thread. I'd be happy to see 20 GP's in a year as there is no testing now. But anymore than that would be a logistical nightmare!!!!

That's good point. Then you have to travel from continent to continent, I mean to hold all races in Europe than travel to Asia, from Asia to America and so on.

cynisca
8th April 2009, 19:28
Who wants to know?

I hate sarcasm.

Mark
8th April 2009, 19:35
No. 16 is the right number of races. An F1 race is supposed to be a big deal and not something that happens every weekend.

Sonic
8th April 2009, 19:40
I hate sarcasm.

Sarcasm is the highest form of wit! Chill.

woody2goody
8th April 2009, 19:40
20-25 would be great. Especially with the testing ban. if they grouped the races geographically it could be cheap as well as entertaining.

cynisca
8th April 2009, 19:56
Sarcasm is the highest form of wit! Chill.

I know! Sometimes I also do it but if other do it to me I just hate it. :p

Who wants to know?

I'm sorry, Tazio, if I insult you. :)

JasonD
8th April 2009, 20:13
20 races a year held on every other weekend. Spreads the season out nicely, and allows teams to have breaks between every race but not extended to 3 weeks off or the dreaded 4 weeks off like like this year.

blakebeatty
8th April 2009, 20:39
i think 25 races that better span the globe would be great, including Canada, USA, Mexico, Russia, and South Africa. The difficulty of the logistics is irrelevant. These teams have both the resources and man power to tackle any schedule. This is part of the challenge.

Tazio
8th April 2009, 21:58
I know! Sometimes I also do it but if other do it to me I just hate it. :p

I'm sorry, Tazio, if I insult you. :)

No worries.
I'm sure I'm owed some :p :

V12
8th April 2009, 22:23

What's wrong with you?! You shouldn't say stuff like that...or you'll give Bernie ideas ;)

PSfan
8th April 2009, 22:32
No. 16 is the right number of races. An F1 race is supposed to be a big deal and not something that happens every weekend.

Didn't we have 19 races one season not so very long ago? and wasn't the majority of races still every other weekend?

Get rid of the stupid 3 or 4 week breaks in the schedule, if teams are getting tired and need holidays, then hire a couple more, and give them rotating vacations.

Start the season a couple weeks earlier, and give us a good 20-22 race schedule!!!

As for races happening every weekend not being a big deal? There is more Nascar pre-race garbage every weekend then they have for the indy 500, or even the superbowl. If Nascar can make a big deal outa a stupid 500mile short track oval race, then I'm sure F1 can learn from them :p

emporer_k
8th April 2009, 22:50
There could be 24 Grand Prix per year with the season starting in early march and ending in late October if 2 GPs being held on back to back weekends and then a weekend off before the next double header.

woody2goody
8th April 2009, 23:42
I think that's a really good idea. Lets the teams settle into a rhythm while not working them into the ground.

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2009, 00:02
As for races happening every weekend not being a big deal? There is more Nascar pre-race garbage every weekend then they have for the indy 500, or even the superbowl. If Nascar can make a big deal outa a stupid 500mile short track oval race, then I'm sure F1 can learn from them :p

They don't race 500 miles on a short track. If you are doing to knock NASCAR, at least understand the sport.

That said, it is the TV partners that go overboard on it, but that is an American thing, not NASCAR's doing.

First off, 20 races is about the limit. That way there are about 4 to 6 locales out there wanting GP's all the time that Bernie can use as leverage against the current GP holders. Montreal was the state of the art facility not 10 years ago when Bernie was in love with Montreal for paying him lots of dough. Now they wont give him the greenmail he wants, he takes the race away and gives it to some country that doesn't care about how much money they spend on a racing facility for ONE race a year.

As for 30 GP's a year, that would kill most of the teams. Too much travelling costs would take out all but the big teams. It only works for NASCAR because half of their dates are within 10 hours drive of their base in Charlotte.

PSfan
9th April 2009, 01:00
They don't race 500 miles on a short track. If you are doing to knock NASCAR, at least understand the sport.

That said, it is the TV partners that go overboard on it, but that is an American thing, not NASCAR's doing.

OMG you sure know how to take all the fun out of posting. I suppose it would be a rather futile excercise to point out the smiley stinking his tongue out at the end of my post?

First off, 20 races is about the limit. That way there are about 4 to 6 locales out there wanting GP's all the time that Bernie can use as leverage against the current GP holders. Montreal was the state of the art facility not 10 years ago when Bernie was in love with Montreal for paying him lots of dough. Now they wont give him the greenmail he wants, he takes the race away and gives it to some country that doesn't care about how much money they spend on a racing facility for ONE race a year.

Another way to look at it is that in this economy, alot of tracks won't be able to pay what they use to, and for Bernie to make more money would be to expand the calender.

As for 30 GP's a year, that would kill most of the teams. Too much travelling costs would take out all but the big teams. It only works for NASCAR because half of their dates are within 10 hours drive of their base in Charlotte.

30 races would be to much, however traveling cost would be offset by the budget cap. Smaller teams would be able to be at more races because they will still be spending a lot less then previous years...

Mark
9th April 2009, 07:21
30 races would be to much, however traveling cost would be offset by the budget cap. Smaller teams would be able to be at more races because they will still be spending a lot less then previous years...

But you still have to pay for frieght, hotels, flights, food etc etc etc. You'd have to hire more personel too as otherwise you'd basically have people permanently away on races.

As others have said as long as you keep the 2-week rotation then it's fine.

And believe it or not, from time to time I like to other things on a summer Sunday than watch a grand prix! :eek:

cynisca
9th April 2009, 07:24
Get rid of the stupid 3 or 4 week breaks in the schedule, if teams are getting tired and need holidays, then hire a couple more, and give them rotating vacations.

The three or four week break has been bring on by Ecclestone because to save the team's employees' marriage, I believe. :confused:

cynisca
9th April 2009, 07:28
And believe it or not, from time to time I like to other things on a summer Sunday than watch a grand prix! :eek:

There's more important things?! :eek:
Formula One is like sex why stop if you love it!? :p :

UltimateDanGTR
9th April 2009, 07:59
I think 25 races would be great. 30 would be too much. Bu my perefect 25 would be:

Australian
Malaysian
Indian
Middle East (Yas Island)
Bahrain
Monaco
Spanish (Valencia streets)
Portugal (Algarve)
French (That new place near paris)
British (SILVERSTONE!!!)
Mexico
USA (Laguna Seca)
Canada
South Africa (somewhere maybe Kyalami)
Germany (Nurburgring)
Russia
Hungary
Italy
Belgium
Argentina (San Luis)
Singapore (Night Race)
Korea
China
Japan (Suzuka)
Brazil

CNR
9th April 2009, 08:13
with no testing start F1TD(f1 test drivers) 10 to 12 races a year in the test cars

AndyRAC
9th April 2009, 08:16
Watch out, don't give Bernie any ideas. Shouldn't a GP be special - having that many just means it loses something. I know there are lots of countries wanting to host one - how about rotation, 1 year in, 1 year out.
I still don't think Bernie should decide who gets a GP - it should be the FiA who have the final say - then Bernie promotes them. Just look at all these 'Eastern' races - nobody turns up to watch. A joke! How about holding them in countries were the fans are?

PolePosition_1
9th April 2009, 08:27
I say the current variation of 16 -18 races is good. Though wouldn't object it to going up to 20 races, but definately no more.

And whilst I find the 4 week summer break very long, it is nice not to be stuck indoors watching it whilst the sun is shining outside. Plus the race team have families etc, it is very harsh to expect them to go 8 month without being with their families for more than a few days at a time. I think its good they have a small break.

wedge
9th April 2009, 11:57
About 20 races should suffice.

Watch out, don't give Bernie any ideas. Shouldn't a GP be special - having that many just means it loses something.

Agreed. Admittedly I find it difficult at keeping up with NASCAR these days. Maybe my attention span is getting shorter these days but I not sure I can put up with something like last Sunday (IRL, F1, NASCAR, ALMS, LMS, BTCC) everyweek.

Mark
9th April 2009, 14:13
There's more important things?! :eek:
Formula One is like sex why stop if you love it!? :p :

hehe. Well when it's every other weekend at least you can plan weekends away inbetween races. But if it's every weekend then you're going to have to miss some, just the reality of life!

There's been once or twice I've been on holiday and sat and watched a Grand Prix. Although in retrospect I needn't have bothered watching Valencia!

Bezza
9th April 2009, 17:32
I'd say 20 would be optimum. I think 16 is not enough, 20 would be good and spread out for longer - i.e. starting early March rather than late, and finishing in mid-late November. That makes the off season shorter and therefore less time waiting for the season to start.

jens
9th April 2009, 20:55
The maximum should be 20 races and not over. Like someone said, F1 race in a way should be special too. And secondly, with longer calendar the gaps in the championship standings would be larger and would create less excitement in the end.

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2009, 21:30
OMG you sure know how to take all the fun out of posting. I suppose it would be a rather futile excercise to point out the smiley stinking his tongue out at the end of my post?

Oh I suppose I should buy that, but I couldn't be sure...

Another way to look at it is that in this economy, alot of tracks won't be able to pay what they use to, and for Bernie to make more money would be to expand the calender.

Bernie hasn't run out of suckers yet. The Arab nations all seem to have people building f1 palaces getting dates. India, a nation on the way up but hardly a super wealthy nation is getting a date. I don't think Bernie cares how many races he has, but he has his price, and he keeps finding people to match it.

The spending cap? I would wager most of the f1 teams will still find ways to spend like crazy. I have no idea how you enforce that really. I don't think there would be any economic benefit in racing 30 f1 dates a year unless the technology gets a lot cheaper. 30 races means that much more in spare parts, tires worn out, engines to replace and all those extra travelling costs.

cynisca
10th April 2009, 13:21
To be honest I think rule 5.4. of the Formula One's Sporting Regulation is a complete farce. There's settled the number of events in a championship, but Ecclestone and the FIA could change it every season. I can remember there was a maximum of 17 events, a few years ago.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/B875CF540CCF75E5C125758300329A2B/$FILE/1-2009%20F1%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%20(Showing%20Al terations)%2024-03-2009.pdf (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/B875CF540CCF75E5C125758300329A2B/$FILE/1-2009%20F1%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%20%28Showing%20 Alterations%29%2024-03-2009.pdf)

The maximum number of Events in the Championship is 20, the minimum is 8.