PDA

View Full Version : Just curious but when was it acceptable on this forum

Fred Basset
6th April 2009, 18:39
for someone to use the word "c***t" in a post.....

2 "report posts" in about 27hrs and its still sat there...

Edited to add that considering the "naughty word" filter actually blocks the whole word, the person that wrote the post knew exactly what he was doing to make the word visable which to me makes it even more un-acceptable

RaceFanStan
23rd April 2009, 12:29
I've been waiting for someone else to answer this but they must be busy.
I'll try to explain & hope I don't start a big debate.
Profanity is not encouraged but simple disguises do get around the censor program.
Sometimes people need to use a "dirty" word to voice their view.
I for one tend not to get uptight as long as it isn't used in a personal attack.

Common "dirty" words are used by many people in everyday conversation.
If any words offend you I urge you to report them & one of the mods will look at it. :D

Fred Basset
23rd April 2009, 14:17
Yeah "busy" LOL for 3 weeks and how many mods are here? :laugh:

Daniel
23rd April 2009, 20:55
I agree Stan. As long as it's not directed at someone what the **** is the problem as long as you don't overuse it all the time? :p (an example of usage which I feel is acceptable)

Daniel
24th April 2009, 00:54
There are people of all ages who read this forum. Are you sure you don't mind language used here that your kids might see? It's not just consenting adults. There are also non-consenting adults :p who prefer not to have to deal with it either.

I think we'll just continue to enforce the standards we all agreed to when we signed on.

I signed on here 8 years ago :p do you seriously expect me to remember what I agreed to when I signed up? :p

BDunnell
25th April 2009, 00:42
As stated in a post elsewhere, I am rather more concerned about the acceptance of a thread in which the range of opinions allowed is effectively pre-ordained by the thread starter. Were I to start one called, I don't know, 'Thread for dog-haters only', I would not expect it to be permitted. Please don't allow this to happen again.

Garry Walker
25th April 2009, 10:50
Were I to start one called, I don't know, 'Thread for dog-haters only', .
They are quite different topics, so I am surprised you are making such a silly comparison. I dont see anything wrong about there being a topic for Ferrari fans, where they can discuss the car and teams performance without having to deal with flaming from half-wits.

25th April 2009, 11:45
I dont see anything wrong about there being a topic for Ferrari fans, where they can discuss the car and teams performance without having to deal with flaming from half-wits.

Well, Jackie Stewart wouldn't be welcome anyway!

25th April 2009, 11:48
Oh, and I noticed in one thread that the word ***** used to describe somebody in F1 and got an approval from the founder of motorsport.com....

...yet, when I used the same phrase to describe somebody else in F1, I got a 2-month suspended ban infraction for doing so.

Whoever the moderator was...Janeppi, I think, should send me a pm apologising. Either that or give an infraction warning to Mark....or stand down, as he is evidently out-of-kilter with the site-founder and is therefore unsuitable as a moderator.

25th April 2009, 18:19
Thank you, Starter, for removing the offending word.

BDunnell
26th April 2009, 01:05
They are quite different topics, so I am surprised you are making such a silly comparison. I dont see anything wrong about there being a topic for Ferrari fans, where they can discuss the car and teams performance without having to deal with flaming from half-wits.

What would you deem appropriate, then, in terms of stating at the start of a thread which opinions should be expressed within that thread? I would hope that you wouldn't find any such thread appropriate.

26th April 2009, 09:43
What would you deem appropriate, then, in terms of stating at the start of a thread which opinions should be expressed within that thread? I would hope that you wouldn't find any such thread appropriate.

"Those who are not Ferrari fans are not welcome to spit their venom around here!

This thread shouldn't be turned into my driver is better than your either, if you want to discuss it do it somewhere else!

It's all about the red team and their good and bad achievements, to be discussed by those who are interested to talk about it in a civilized manner!"

Doesn't bar anybody who isn't spitting venom around.....doesn't specify what other opinions are not allowed....invites those who are interested in the subject to discuss it in the proper way....

And you find fault with that?

janneppi
26th April 2009, 17:05
Oh, and I noticed in one thread that the word ***** used to describe somebody in F1 and got an approval from the founder of motorsport.com....

...yet, when I used the same phrase to describe somebody else in F1, I got a 2-month suspended ban infraction for doing so.

Whoever the moderator was...Janeppi, I think, should send me a pm apologising. Either that or give an infraction warning to Mark....or stand down, as he is evidently out-of-kilter with the site-founder and is therefore unsuitable as a moderator.
Yes, my bad. I should have sensed the change in force 150km's away from my computer, and acted on a report using some sort of jedi mind trick . Will do my best to work on my psychic powers.

Daniel
26th April 2009, 17:07
That explains a lot Janneppi. You and your Jedi force haxx......

schmenke
27th April 2009, 15:34
They are quite different topics, so I am surprised you are making such a silly comparison. I dont see anything wrong about there being a topic for Ferrari fans, ...

Whilst I don't believe these threads should be deleted, as BDunnell suggests, I do agree that they should be discouraged. I would think that there are a myriad of “Such-and-such team fan club” internet sites available for this specific purpose.
Posting a thread “reserved” for a select group defeats the purpose of an open forum, and I can’t help but think that this is merely a disguised form of instigation :mark:

27th April 2009, 19:53
Yes, my bad. I should have sensed the change in force 150km's away from my computer, and acted on a report using some sort of jedi mind trick . Will do my best to work on my psychic powers.

You could give the site founder a PM warning and a 1-month infraction.

But that would take real guts.

BDunnell
27th April 2009, 20:32
Whilst I don't believe these threads should be deleted, as BDunnell suggests, I do agree that they should be discouraged. I would think that there are a myriad of “Such-and-such team fan club” internet sites available for this specific purpose.
Posting a thread “reserved” for a select group defeats the purpose of an open forum, and I can’t help but think that this is merely a disguised form of instigation :mark:

My point exactly.