PDA

View Full Version : what a dumb rule!

Wade91
5th April 2009, 14:36
now the nationwide drivers cant even do a burn out becouse of this stupid engine rule :(

RaceFanStan
5th April 2009, 16:45
I guess the only way will be to wait & win the 2nd race too,
then the driver can fry the tires along with the engine.

I think this will come back to bite NASCAR on the butt.
IF the Cup stars start blowing engines in the 2nd Nationwide race NASCAR will change the rule quickly. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Wade91
6th April 2009, 09:51
yeah, this could prove to be a bad move if some engines dont do well the 2nd time, but yeah, atleast there will be more drivers able burn outs in i guess the 2nd half of the season when their useing their engine for the 2nd time,

atleast kyle still found a good way to celabrate, i "do" like the idea of doing the victory lap in reverse its pretty interesting

RaceFanStan
6th April 2009, 12:30
The best victory lap was Alan Kulwicki's "polish victory lap".
Kulwicki did it with his 1st Cup win in 1988 @ Phoenix.
Kulwicki then did it for each of his 5 Winston Cup victories.
Alan Kulwicki also did it @ Atlanta when he won the 1992 Winston Cup Championship.
Sadly we lost Alan Kulwicki in a plane crash on April 1, 1993.

Other drivers did the "polish victory lap" in tribute to Kulwicki after his death.
================================================== =======
As to the burnouts, I never thought they were needed.
It seems stupid to me to destroy an engine just to make a bunch of noise & smoke.
Hey it's racetrack racing, not drag racing, leave the burnouts to the dragracers. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Alexamateo
6th April 2009, 13:53

It seems stupid to me to destroy an engine just to make a bunch of noise & smoke.
Hey it's racetrack racing, not drag racing, leave the burnouts to the dragracers. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

I think it's a by-product of people coming along today who never had to work on their own cars, or pay for it out of their own pocket. The same applies to guys wrecking so much. As a poster on another forum put it..."You'd think twice about tearing up equipment if you were the one at 3AM on Sat. night/Sun. morning trying to fix your car by the truck headlights because it's still too bent up to get on the trailer, and everybody else has already gone home and they'd turned out the lights."

It does build character though :p :

harvick#1
6th April 2009, 14:24
the polish lap is without the best,

but I thought what Kurt did at Atlanta was awesome also :laugh:

call_me_andrew
7th April 2009, 04:17

Again I agree with Stan. I must be having an off week.

I'm more partial to the flying victory lap.

slorydn1
7th April 2009, 10:08
I like the burnouts...its not like they weren't tearing down the entire motor and rebuilding it after every race, anyway.

Actually, the rule is not a bad one, when you think about it.

With the one engine rule in place, the Cup teams are getting 400, 500 (miles or laps) out of a motor, plus several practices and qualifying.

The Nationwide and Truck teams were only doing half the race distance (if that much) of that on any given week, and maybe 60-70% of the practice time, with less horsepower...They should be able to easily make the engines last two races with out any ill effects.

Take the Coke 600 weekend for instance. Lets just say a team averages 25 laps in both of the pre qualifying practices on Friday (25+25x1.5)= 75 miles, then the 2 laps of qualifying, plus the almost full lap they do on the "get go lap" (4 miles), then 35 laps in both of Saturday's Practices (35+35x1.5)= 105 miles, then the 600 mile race, you're looking at around 784 miles (not accounting for GWC finish.

Beacuse of the tire rule in the Nationwide Series, theyll do maybe 25-30 laps total before quals (I'll use 30 for argument, or 45 miles, the 4 miles for the 2 qual laps and the partial "get go lap", and the 300 miles for the race, you're looking at around 349 miles on the motor (again not accounting for a GWC)

349/784= apprx 44.5 % of the miles on a motor making 150 less hp

They should last two races, and then some......I guess the guys will have to limit the burnouts to Sunday where the owners can afford it....

Lee Roy
7th April 2009, 13:57
I think it's a great rule. I wish they'd make it even more strict, something like 3 or 4 races before you can change an engine. It would make the racing more affordable for the little guys. Might make a little dent in the Cup teams dominance of the Nationwide Series. That would be a good thing in my opinion.

Burnouts are getting old and tiresome, IMHO.

muggle not
7th April 2009, 23:56
I think it's a great rule. I wish they'd make it even more strict, something like 3 or 4 races before you can change an engine. It would make the racing more affordable for the little guys. Might make a little dent in the Cup teams dominance of the Nationwide Series. That would be a good thing in my opinion.

Burnouts are getting old and tiresome, IMHO.
Yeah, I agree.
Old and tiresome is even an understatement.

Sparky1329
8th April 2009, 04:06
The first one or two burnouts were cool. After that it seemed like overkill.

RaceFanStan
8th April 2009, 04:39
NASCAR drivers doing burnouts always semed a bit wrong to me. :s

Lee Roy
8th April 2009, 17:40
The first one or two burnouts were cool. After that it seemed like overkill.

Agreed!

Sparky1329
8th April 2009, 19:59
NASCAR drivers doing burnouts always semed a bit wrong to me. :s

The one burnout I really enjoyed was Harvick's blue ribbon burnout at Indy when he put his mark on the famous brick start/finish line.

Mark in Oshawa
8th April 2009, 21:45
Burnouts as a result of donuts was mildly amusing for all of 2 or 3 times. Here's a clue. Stop at pitlane, pick up your crew and ferry them into victory lane as a TEAM. That's the way the King did it....

Or as the reason the late great Walter Payton never did anything stupid after a TD....he was always told by his mentors to act like you had been there before.....

harvick#1
9th April 2009, 06:15
The one burnout I really enjoyed was Harvick's blue ribbon burnout at Indy when he put his mark on the famous brick start/finish line.

thats is "The" burnout... nothin else will ever ever come close :D

Wade91
9th April 2009, 16:55
yeah, that was a really good one, i like burnouts that make alot smoke, there have been a few drivers to do really good burnouts by spinning their car around and around until the whole car is in a huge cloud of smoke, putting the nose of the car up againest the wall works pretty good to

Sparky1329
9th April 2009, 17:44
thats is "The" burnout... nothin else will ever ever come close :D

You won't get an argument from me on that. :D

Lee Roy
9th April 2009, 18:34
I just wish that the B/Y 400 was before the Indy 500 so they would have had that "scar" on the track during their "Month of May"