PDA

View Full Version : For Aussie's - F1 one ONE

millencolin
5th April 2009, 09:50
Just wondering what people's opinion of the new ONE channel and their coverage of formula one...

The Aust gp was a big event which was covered by Ten, but now we are getting into the season we are starting to see how the rest of the season will be presented to us.

We are used to being jerked about when it comes to watching our beloved sport. Back in the days of channel nine and recently on ten, Reality shows and other programs have been taken priority, and we have been forced to watch our sport at ridiculous hours with delayed telecasts.

But now, watching the buildup to the malaysian gp, I'm pretty impressed. We have a one hour build up show with interviews and insights, live telecasts, qualifying. we are finally seeing a network dedicated to the sport! And i am loving it!!!

Obviously Ten and One are the same company, but its good to see that F1 is finally getting decent coverage in Australia. Good work One

millencolin
5th April 2009, 09:51
and before you say anything, dont mention the typo in the topic title

Hawkmoon
5th April 2009, 10:19
I don't know. If you don't live in a capital city you can't get it. Ten re-broadcasts through Southern Cross in the Illawarra and SC are pathetic. They don't show anything in HD, Their HD channel shows little other than the HD demo so we didn't get the live races last year either.

To make matters worse SC has even dropped qualifying this year as I suppose it's on One only. So were going backward whilst the rest of the world progresses. Pathetic.

ShiftingGears
5th April 2009, 11:23
I cannot express to you all how much I enjoy their lengthy, ill-timed ad breaks.

skm
5th April 2009, 11:23
Sorry to hear regional Aust isn't getting it - that is a joke.

In line with the original post I'm wrapt that One HD are showing so much coverage and live :) Really fantastic and would have paid to see it on pay but it's great we don't have to. We're happy to bag a network for their coverage but Ten/One HD deserve some postive recognition for their coverage.

Tumbo
5th April 2009, 11:26
OneHD better than Ten the last few yrs in terms of showing races live and giving us good leadups to the race but poor in terms of ad breaks and switching over the McConville and Compton - I don't care what you two idiots say and while i'm not the biggest fan of the BBC lineup at least they sound half-intelligable and as if they are following the race

millencolin
5th April 2009, 12:09
OneHD better than Ten the last few yrs in terms of showing races live and giving us good leadups to the race but poor in terms of ad breaks and switching over the McConville and Compton - I don't care what you two idiots say and while i'm not the biggest fan of the BBC lineup at least they sound half-intelligable and as if they are following the race

McConville and Greg Rust... Crompton (unfortuately) works for seven now with v8supercabs...

I Am pretty damn happy with OneHd's work... Its a shame that its not available in rural areas, but with this being a big and sparingly populated country, it takes an awful lot of infrastructure to set up digital tv, so give it time.

RJL25
5th April 2009, 12:34
I think ONE is doing a good job, I love not having to stay up all night to watch the F1 now!

As for the ad breaks, listen I don't think there is such thing as a WELL timed ad break, ad breaks will always suck but unfortunately thats the nature of commercial television, its either that or no broadcast at all i guess. Just gotta deal with it

RJL25
5th April 2009, 12:37
I don't know if this helps at all, not living in a regional area myself, but you can get ONE HD through Foxtel's digital service... maybe there are some people who cannot pick up ONE HD on free to air but may have access to Foxtel so that might be a solution for some people... A lot of money to pay just for the F1's though I know...

Tumbo
5th April 2009, 13:26
McConville and Greg Rust... Crompton (unfortuately) works for seven now with v8supercabs...

I Am pretty damn happy with OneHd's work... Its a shame that its not available in rural areas, but with this being a big and sparingly populated country, it takes an awful lot of infrastructure to set up digital tv, so give it time.

Yeh my bad lol! But having said Rust and Crompo are of the same mould

Hawkmoon
6th April 2009, 23:07

I live in Wollongong. It's the third biggest city in the state, just behind Newcastle and less than an hours drive from Sydney. It's far from rural. Even Canberra can't get One and it's the bloody capital of the country!

Rollo
6th April 2009, 23:21
I only have SD and so I really enjoyed tuning into college basketball at 7pm when the Malaysian GP started.

I was even more impressed when at 11:10pm at the stated time, of the beginning of the broadcast on 10, Dexter was on and College Basketball was still on One.

As far as I'm concerned it's still the same bull**** operators in charge at Ten and as such, the motorsport fan is treated like cattle.

http://www.geocities.com/rollo75/onehdsux.jpg

Ari
7th April 2009, 02:02
Sorry to hear regional Aust isn't getting it - that is a joke.

In line with the original post I'm wrapt that One HD are showing so much coverage and live :) Really fantastic and would have paid to see it on pay but it's great we don't have to. We're happy to bag a network for their coverage but Ten/One HD deserve some postive recognition for their coverage.

I think ONE is doing a good job, I love not having to stay up all night to watch the F1 now!

As for the ad breaks, listen I don't think there is such thing as a WELL timed ad break, ad breaks will always suck but unfortunately thats the nature of commercial television, its either that or no broadcast at all i guess. Just gotta deal with it

Agree with the above. Am so happy that I finally don't have to spend my internet bandwidth watching Formula 1.

Considering they're only a couple rounds in I've been very impressed. I was at Melbourne but saw Malaysia through One and felt it was better than expected. Sure there's room for improvement but it's a good start.

Regarding commercials, Malaysia may have been the first time that team had worked on a F1GP (Melbourne being a highlight race may have been a different team) so cut them some slack. If they're not 'enthusiasts' like us then it will take them a few rounds to understand when to and not to go to breaks.

Being that we are getting live Gp, 1 hour pre-show and live quali (when we get to europe) I don't mind them learning as we go.

Well done 10!

AussieV8
7th April 2009, 02:05
I only have SD and so I really enjoyed tuning into college basketball at 7pm when the Malaysian GP started.

I was even more impressed when at 11:10pm at the stated time, of the beginning of the broadcast on 10, Dexter was on and College Basketball was still on One.

As far as I'm concerned it's still the same bull**** operators in charge at Ten and as such, the motorsport fan is treated like cattle.

I'm probably the last person to defend 10's coverage (as pathetic as it is), but I'm in Melbourne and watched the pre-race show from 6:00pm-6:50pm on One SD (channel 12) and then the race telecast from about 6:54pm -> just before 8:00pm.

Nice change to the logo though :)

Regarding commercials, Malaysia may have been the first time that team had worked on a F1GP (Melbourne being a highlight race may have been a different team) so cut them some slack. If they're not 'enthusiasts' like us then it will take them a few rounds to understand when to and not to go to breaks.

10 have been telecasting F1 for the last few years. I think they've had more than enough time to understand the racing if they were competant. One is just channel 10's new sports only channel.

Rollo
7th April 2009, 02:34
Ten/One HD deserve some postive recognition for their coverage.

I think that Ten/One's coverage has been positively abysmal since 2003.
Give it to Channel 9 who had it before or even Channel 7 who it must be said provided all of the OB equipment to Network Ten for all their V8Supercar coverage in the first place.

And then I read this from wikipedia:
All races from the French Grand Prix onwards have been shown live on Ten HD (Now ONE HD). As a result, standard definition coverage has enjoyed less focus and now airs at a later time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Ten#Sport

The TV guide bears this out as well:
http://www.geocities.com/rollo75/sun5gide.jpg

Network Ten holds the rights to Formula One until the end of 2010.

It's still too far away.

Azumanga Davo
7th April 2009, 03:18
F*&^ Rove and Dexy's Midnight Runners off... ;)

One HD now has the ANDRA drag racing show there too, so I guess I'll have to watch it at some point to gauge my enthusiasm for the channel...

Ari
7th April 2009, 05:39
I'm probably the last person to defend 10's coverage (as pathetic as it is), but I'm in Melbourne and watched the pre-race show from 6:00pm-6:50pm on One SD (channel 12) and then the race telecast from about 6:54pm -> just before 8:00pm.

Nice change to the logo though :)

10 have been telecasting F1 for the last few years. I think they've had more than enough time to understand the racing if they were competant. One is just channel 10's new sports only channel.

Yes but one is an entirely new staff behind the scenes. Comparatively it's as if 10 have outsources their F1 coverage.

Ari
7th April 2009, 05:46
Look, I can kind of understand Rove having the slot it does being that it's a huge ratings boost for the network.... but Dexter!? Wtf. It's like Flight of the Concords last year. Just buffer filling. Why do they bother!?

millencolin
7th April 2009, 13:24
I live in Wollongong. It's the third biggest city in the state, just behind Newcastle and less than an hours drive from Sydney. It's far from rural. Even Canberra can't get One and it's the bloody capital of the country!

Don't worry... i know the pain. I spend a large large number of time in Toowoomba, which is a big regional area too. But there is no One there... It does suck... but then again, so does Toowoomba :p :

millencolin
7th April 2009, 13:27
As bad as it sounds, Ten would purposfully make their coverage of f1 at a bad time, to encourage people to switch over to One. Its cruel to all people outside of the capital cities, but it the tactic that they have chosen to take. It convinced me to buy a set top box, and now im watching one, therefore increasing their viewing base