PDA

View Full Version : Petter moves to Ford

dukof
5th April 2009, 00:09
I guess your eyes are now wide open. :D Ok, this is not a fact, but at the moment it looks to be the best short term solution for Ford. With Latvala unable to show the expected progress as soon as Malcolm hoped, and Mikko unable to up his pace, it's now more than ever clear it's going to be a losing battle against Loeb. The only option available that has potential to beat Loeb, at least for every other rally, is Petter. Of course, Marcus is just as good, and possibly even better candidate, but he is not expected to want to commit to the rest of the season. So that leaves them with just Petter.

Is Petter a better option than Mikko? Well, on consistency Petter has not been very good in his golden years, but the last years of struggle with a non-competitive car, seem to have made him settle for what he can achieve with what he got at his hands. This is possibly a very good experience for him going forward. We can only hope that he will be able to take this consistency with him, when he moves into the top fight again. And if you look at the victory record for Mikko and Petter, it's very clear that Mikko has almost never beaten Loeb in a straight battle where Loeb has pushed for a win. Petter and Marcus however, have many wins where Loeb has had to settle for 2nd place. Allthough Petter's wins are some years back, it's obvious to most that his wheels have not been competitive for some time. His performance with the 2005 Xsara should at least convince most who have been in doubt of this.

So.. Mikko and Petter.. It sounds strange.. but wouldn't that just be a dream-team?

The question is, will Petter accept to sign up for only 2009? No, not very likely. So will Malcolm commit for 2009-2010 with Petter? For me that seems to be his best option at the moment. Alternatively he must make his bet on Latvala, which at the moment looks like a very risky bet. Give up the whole 2009 season in April? I think not. If Ford wants to perform, I can see no better solution than signing up with Petter.

As for Latvala, he needs to move out of point scoring pressure for some time, which suits this plan very well.

tmx
5th April 2009, 02:06
I thought there is already a thread about Latvala. Sounds like what crash.net uses for their news title, that's why I stopped reading crash.net. They have stuff like "Mikko: I want Loeb to suffer." Or: "'Driver' FORCED out of rally." and then when you read it, it said he has engine trouble.

I don't know if Mikko can't up his pace or Ford can't keep up with the Citroen development. Maybe he just conceded to the fact that Loeb is going to dominate and want to concerntrate on the manufacturer title.

Personally I can relate with Latvala so I sympathize for him, Latvala has some anxiety and is too hard on himself, but since he could afford it he should get therapy and professional help on that. Maybe he is I don't know, but he also blame himself a lot on the interviews after the crashes, I can see from his facial expressions.

I am afraid that unless Petter is driving a Ford #1 manu team car, he'll just be subjected to a car like Henning and then I have to read more about how he is slow. I don't think the option is there for Petter at Ford, I don't even think Malcolm will even give Petter a consideration for full time drive. They've invested a lot of the two current Finn driver I think it'll stay that way. Same with the Citroen team. Right now I think it's more interesting to look at the future S2000 and make prediction on that, I don't see changes in 2010 either in term of competition if both manufacturer stick with WRC cars.

"So.. Mikko and Petter.. It sounds strange.. but wouldn't that just be a dream-team?"
Ha that was interesting, because Mikko was 2nd driver for Petter in 2004 and he has horrible results as was criticized like Latvala is getting now, except he turned around very quickly and started driving consistently as soon as he got acecpted to Ford. Just for once I like to see Mikko drive flat out, for some reason I feel he is purposefully holding back.

As for Francois if I am corect I think he is looking for opportunity to drive in IRC.

grugsticles
5th April 2009, 06:06
Im not against Mikko or Jari-Matti in any way, but from what I remember of Mikko in his earlier years he was never hugly fast. He sure showed potential, but never really blew me away as a future champion. David Richards had the same opinion I think.

Jari-Matti I dont think has spent enough time developing as a driver. Hes only 23 (I thnk) and has had the responcibility of being in a top team for a few years. A driver should be allowed to develop a bit more before moving to a big team IMO. In that time you learn certain aspects about how to handle the machinery, yourself and how to approach things. Thats where he is still learning.

As for Petter/Marcus being thier replacements... well, Marcus made a decision to leave and I think tht was right for him. Sure hes suffering the withdrawal of competition but if hes smart he will avoid a return to the WRC in its current situaion.
As for Petter, yeah why not. He would get a highly competative car and a real chance to bring back that Hollywood charm that we all love.
Its just sad that if it were to happen it would be at Latvala's expence.

ste898
5th April 2009, 13:15
For Petter to move to Ford Malcolm Wilson would have to put his childish tantrum to one side from years ago!!!

Jake Stephens
5th April 2009, 13:57
Petter moves to Ford? Dont open a thread with a headline claiming something that hasnt happened.

m.lowe
5th April 2009, 14:06
Whos to say Ford will stay in if this year goes bad for them

N.O.T
5th April 2009, 15:17
change the title...

Bazza2541
5th April 2009, 15:33
Whos to say Ford will stay in if this year goes bad for them

IIRC Ford don't have the real power in M-Sport, as it is largely self financing and they reap big rewards of a relatively smallish investment.
Personally, if Petter was to move to Ford I'd be wondering why Papa Wilson is replacing one liability with another?

jbmarcus21
5th April 2009, 15:38
just a hope ... not an info ...

dukof
5th April 2009, 15:39
change the title...

Oh put a sock in it! Yer a bunch of winers..

The point is Petter and Mikko at their current level would put a great team up against Loeb and Sordo. There is no match for that, and it would be fantastic to see. It's a shame Latvala have had this bad luck. I do believe he has potential to turn on a dime, to hit a strike of great results. But currently it would be natural to let him off thre pressure.

I'm just sick of not seeing the best drivers able to compete. The manufactureres have far far too much control of the game.

jbmarcus21
5th April 2009, 15:40
For me impossible Petter move... Imagine Petter say to his team, ok now i have not need you, i move to ford .. It will be strange and bad attitude...

MJW
5th April 2009, 16:01
For me impossible Petter move... Imagine Petter say to his team, ok now i have not need you, i move to ford .. It will be strange and bad attitude...
I agree - it is unlikely for Petter to drop his loyal team, - maybe next year if a 'works contract is available'. I think its more likely that Petter's team might run a different car to the Xsara - maybe time to ramp up the pressure on Citroen again, like after Norway, mechanical diffs and proper engine mapping or I get a Focus.

Psycho!
5th April 2009, 16:05
And take into account that Petter will suffer much more in Argentina,'cause the stages are not only fast,but on high altitude as well...

BDunnell
5th April 2009, 16:09
I too think the thread title needs to be changed.

Helstar
5th April 2009, 16:20
Add a "?" at least please.

dukof
5th April 2009, 16:23
Add a "?" at least please.

Yes, this will make a lot of happy chaps.. :)

any admin could please add a "?" ?

ste898
5th April 2009, 17:32
IIRC Ford don't have the real power in M-Sport, as it is largely self financing and they reap big rewards of a relatively smallish investment.
Personally, if Petter was to move to Ford I'd be wondering why Papa Wilson is replacing one liability with another?

No thats the wrong words you used, he would replace a liability with 1st rate driver!!!

Bazza2541
5th April 2009, 23:23
No thats the wrong words you used, he would replace a liability with 1st rate driver!!!

1st rate driver? I thought this thread was about Petter Solberg, not ,as you infer, Marcus Gronholm.

Wait did you mean 1st rate whiner? That would make more sense if you are talking about Solberg.

Lalo
6th April 2009, 05:03
Petter in Abu Thabi Ford WRT? Haha Hopefully one day...