PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2009 - Brands Hatch - Rounds 1, 2 & 3

mattie007
2nd April 2009, 22:34
Looks like we have Plato, Leason and Morrison in, but Hughes and O'Neill out.
In the current climate could we have imagined such a wide variety of cars and drivers on the grid?
Even without major manufacturer backing there is still alot of top cars out there and at least half of the drivers are capable of winning races this season.
Good to see some old names back aswell, in the form of Eaves and Morrison.
Im really looking forward to it, especially with my lucky VIP pass!
Anyone else going?
I dont think the Vectras will dominate as much as people expect, especially with Plato in a very quick Chevvy!

AndySpeed
2nd April 2009, 22:50
Vauxhall will still be the class of the field, no doubt about it. Motorbase could go very well though, their local track and with some work done on the Beemers... Sunday is going to be good. I've not been this excited about the start of a BTCC season in some time... so much change!

Dave B
3rd April 2009, 13:35
Quality bit of reporting from BBC South East, showing footage from 2003 and mentioning Fabrizio Giovanardio. Still, all publicity is good publicity I guess.

MattL
4th April 2009, 09:55
Livery on Shedden's Civic has changed: http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2009/brandshatch1/qual/Gordon+Shedden+new+livery.jpg.html

MattL
4th April 2009, 09:59
10 minutes into the first practice session and everyone is out except Neal, Leason and Eaves.

Hughes and O'Neill are absent as previously reported.

EDIT - Nick Leason has just gone out in the Team AFM BMW 1 Series.

MattL
4th April 2009, 10:04
Eaves on track. Just waiting for Matt Neal now, who seems to be sitting in his car with slicks on - presumably, waiting for the track to dry out enough.

BTCC2
4th April 2009, 10:11
Plato doing a stunning job given the lack of testing.

BTCC2
4th April 2009, 10:14
Neal out on track now.

BTCC2
4th April 2009, 10:14
Airwaves BMW 1-2 at the moment!

MattL
4th April 2009, 10:37
Turkington ended up quickest in FP1. Strange first session - probably best not to read too much into that, but good to see everyone out on track!

VkmSpouge
4th April 2009, 10:45
The Motorbase and WSR BMWs are looking quick. Stephen Jelley looking improved.

Giovanardi didn't do many laps.

Harry Vaulkhard will be pleased to be so close to Jason Plato in the near-works Chevrolet.

Alan Morrison and Dan Eaves are someway off the pace of their team mates, which considering their lack of competitive racing and testing shows they need more track time. Nick Leason also needs more time in his 1 Series, I guess all three will improve throughout the weekend.

Still it is only practice, we'll find out just how competitive everyone really is in a few hours.

The Team Dynamics liveries are definitely the best this season.

AndySpeed
4th April 2009, 11:01
Times:

http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=major&season=2009&series=BTCC&event=races&source=toca2006&eventid=91403&table=91403fp1trg&tabletype=gif

AndySpeed
4th April 2009, 11:03
I'm nut surprised by the lack of pace of the Focus' and can't see it changing too much over the course of the weekend. Hopefully Arena can develop the car more by the time we get to Thruxton.

Allyc85
4th April 2009, 12:14
Session 2 starting now and on a dry track so we can get a better idea of pace :)

Allyc85
4th April 2009, 12:36
Arena really struggling for pace at the moment :(

MattL
4th April 2009, 12:44
Engine problem for Liam McMillan has ended his FP2 early.

mattie007
4th April 2009, 12:57
Live Timing:

http://www.tripleeight.co.uk/timing/

Eurotech
4th April 2009, 12:57
Collard Fastest in FP2

mattie007
4th April 2009, 13:02
Live video from Tempus Sport:

http://www.tempusbtcc.com/player/

AndySpeed
4th April 2009, 13:06
Session 2 times: http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=major&season=2009&series=BTCC&event=races&source=toca2006&eventid=91403&table=91403fp2trg&tabletype=gif

BDunnell
4th April 2009, 14:00
I'm nut surprised by the lack of pace of the Focus' and can't see it changing too much over the course of the weekend. Hopefully Arena can develop the car more by the time we get to Thruxton.

Hasn't straight-line speed has been one of the car's shortcomings thus far? Unless they can fix that, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't struggle more there.

AndySpeed
4th April 2009, 14:05
Hasn't straight-line speed has been one of the car's shortcomings thus far? Unless they can fix that, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't struggle more there.

Good point.

The fastest speed through the finish line speed trap today has been 124.3mph by Stephen Jelley.

The two slowest times have been by Morrison and Chilton at 118.1mph and 117.5mph respectively, which is a long way off. Brands is a track where the cars don't even achieve their full speed potential, so it's looking quite bad for Arena you would have to say.

VkmSpouge
4th April 2009, 14:19
Well at least Arena know their weak spot, if they can develop that engine then it should give them a few more tenths.

Allyc85
4th April 2009, 15:44
Where is the speed trap located, and whats it measured in? Im guessing Mph?

MattL
4th April 2009, 15:54
There's one on the Cooper Straight and one on the Brabham Straight at the start/finish line. And yes, MPH.

Alfa Fan
4th April 2009, 15:57
Whose brought out the red flag?

VX_Rules
4th April 2009, 15:58
~Red Flag?

VX_Rules
4th April 2009, 15:59
I'm hoping Jordan can make it a 1 - 2 - 3.

I wish Leason had a a bit more performance, I want to see him further up the grid :)

AndySpeed
Blame Jelley for the red...

MattL
Jelley in the gravel at Paddock.

VX_Rules
4th April 2009, 16:01
Bit wobbly after the winter break? :P

MattL
4th April 2009, 16:03
Bit wobbly after the winter break? :P

Oh dear...

Seems to be something stopping Turkington going back out. (EDIT - working on the power steering.)

VX_Rules
4th April 2009, 16:08
Quick question, if a time is in red on the TSL, what does that mean?

CroftPilgrim
4th April 2009, 16:10
It means the driver is in the pits

VkmSpouge
4th April 2009, 16:25
BTCC Qualifying Times:
1 Matt Neal Vauxhall 48.857
2 Fabrizio Giovanardi Vauxhall 48.877
3 Rob Collard BMW 48.926
4 Colin Turkington BMW 49.022
5 Andrew Jordan Vauxhall 49.073
6 Jonathan Adam BMW 49.121
7 Gordon Shedden Honda 49.180
8 Stephen Jelley BMW 49.227
9 Jason Plato Chevrolet 49.514
10 Adam Jones SEAT 49.611
11 Harry Vaulkhard Chevrolet 49.649
12 Dan Eaves SEAT 49.756
13 John George Honda 49.881
14 Dave Pinkney Honda 49.886
15 Martyn Bell Honda 50.029
16 Tom Chilton Ford 50.286
17 Liam McMillan SEAT 50.419
18 Martin Johnson Vauxhall 50.502
19 Alan Morrison Ford 50.819
20 Nick Leason BMW 51.808

Matt Neal taking the first pole and breaking Yvan Muller's 2001 lap record. Giovanardi completing a Vauxhall front row lock out.

Rob Collard did very well in the closing stages to grab third from Colin Turkington.

Stephen Jelley showing more improvement, up in 8th.

Plato quite creditable in 9th place, having only got in the car today.

John George will be very please to be the second best Honda, indeed Martyn Bell in the other Integra improving as well.

Alan Morrison must be wondering whether Arena should have purchased a pair of Vauxhall Astra coupés and raced them instead.

ATF
4th April 2009, 16:36
Quite surprised to see Neal take pole, was expecting either Gio or Turks. I agree Collard did well to take 3rd, wonder what will happen in the race though!

AndySpeed
4th April 2009, 16:42
First time since the second race at Mondello Park in 2006 Neal has actually started first, let alone grab pole from a qualifying session!

Alfa Fan
4th April 2009, 16:49
He was also on pole for race 1 there too.

MattL
4th April 2009, 16:54
Great for Rob - he knew he could do a 48.9 and that's exactly what he managed!

AndySpeed
4th April 2009, 17:09
He was also on pole for race 1 there too.

Yes, but race two was also the last time he nabbed a reverse grid pole. So either way, first pole since that weekend.

AndySpeed
4th April 2009, 17:10
Great for Rob - he knew he could do a 48.9 and that's exactly what he managed!

I'm sure he's chuffed to bits to be the top Beemer.

Alfa Fan
4th April 2009, 17:10
I wasn't disagreeing Andy

BDunnell
4th April 2009, 17:49
Stephen Jelley showing more improvement, up in 8th.

Not an improvement over his last qualifying at Brands, when he was on pole...

Alan Morrison must be wondering whether Arena should have purchased a pair of Vauxhall Astra coupés and raced them instead.

You cynic! Seriously, though, that's a pretty awful showing by Arena, even for a brand new car.

Eurotech
4th April 2009, 18:26
well lets not forget that Alan has been out of a Touring Car for 5 years so he's bound to be a bit rusty.

Remember theres still Three races still to come this weekend - Can't wait!

BTCC2
4th April 2009, 18:35
I'm so exctied for tomorrow now. Looks like it's going to be a very open and competetive season of racing.

stevevxr
4th April 2009, 19:08
Good start to the weekend for VXR... front row lock out !!! well done matt neal, But VXR have gotta watch BMW !!!

Looking forward to tomorrow now !!!

Eurotech
4th April 2009, 19:17
I reckon we'll have a BMW leading at the end of lap 1 tommorow and I hope its a white one...

VkmSpouge
4th April 2009, 19:26
Not an improvement over his last qualifying at Brands, when he was on pole...

Good point :D . Still it is an improvement on most of his performances in 2008.

tisme
4th April 2009, 20:38
Crackin' pictures Grommet!

Those yellow and pink flames really look better than the original silver ones...

http://www.btccpages.com/gallery/v/btcc2009/brandshatch1/qual/?g2_page=2

mattie007
4th April 2009, 22:07
The liveries are very colourful this year!
Cant wait for tomorrow, the first time I'll be at a BTCC event as a VIP.

MattL
5th April 2009, 09:29
I reckon we'll have a BMW leading at the end of lap 1 tommorow and I hope its a white one...

Not sure - going to be a couple of very wide Vectras!

VkmSpouge
5th April 2009, 12:30
BTCC Round 1
1 Matt Neal
2 Fabrizio Giovanardi
3 Colin Turkington
4 Rob Collard
5 Adam Jones
6 Jason Plato
7 Stephen Jelley
8 Harry Vaulkhard
9 Dan Eaves
10 Martyn Bell
11 Tom Chilton
12 Martin Johnson
13 Alan Morrison
14 Liam McMillan
15 Dave Pinkney
R Andrew Jordan
R Gordon Shedden
R Nick Leason
R Jonathan Adam
R John George

Good race for Vauxhall. Collard and Turkington got the jump on them at the start but the Vauxhalls came on strong. A shame Andrew Jordan suffered a car failure. Nice scrap between Plato and Jelley too, just 0.002 in it at the end. Nice to see Dan Eaves scoring points on his return. A good competitive outing for Martyn Bell too, his first point since 2007. Shame that both Adam and Shedden were taken out in that crash with Jelley at the startline. John George not having much luck around Brands and I hope Nick Leason can keep his car on the track in the second race.

AndyRAC
5th April 2009, 12:41
Well done VXR - nothing like using a hammer to crack a nut!

BDunnell
5th April 2009, 12:41
Well, at least the Fords finished, even if they were slow. Jelley's push through the middle at the start didn't really look 'on'.

AndySpeed
5th April 2009, 13:18
Kudos to Neal for moving over at the start when he realised he was getting a very poor getaway.

Alfa Fan
5th April 2009, 14:42
So Collard crashes into somone to win. Let's see if it stands.

Eurotech
5th April 2009, 14:46
Congratulations to Rob Collard - Race 2 WINNER =]

VkmSpouge
5th April 2009, 14:50
Round 2
1 Rob Collard
2 Colin Turkington
3 Matt Neal
4 Stephen Jelley
5 Andrew Jordan
6 Gordon Shedden
7 Adam Jones
8 Dan Eaves
9 Jonathan Adam
10 Jason Plato
11 Harry Vaulkhard
12 Martyn Bell
13 Dave Pinkney
14 Tom Chilton
15 Alan Morrison
16 Fabrizio Giovanardi
17 Nick Leason
R John George
R Liam McMillan
R Martin Johnson

Congratulations to Rob Collard on a fine victory and to Motorbase for their first ever BTCC win! And well done to Jonathan Adam on his first ever BTCC points. Good drives by himself, Gordon Shedden and Andrew Jordan to come through the field. Stephen Jelley going really well too. Giovanardi is going to have to work hard in race 3.

EDIT: Jason Plato on pole in the Chevy :D

Alfa Fan
5th April 2009, 14:57
JP on pole

cos
5th April 2009, 14:58
Plato on pole for race 3; should be a good'un!

Alfa Fan
5th April 2009, 14:59
Gow probabily put 5 10s in there!

AndySpeed
5th April 2009, 15:09

It looked forceful, but I'm not sure it was too forceful. It will more than likely stand. Neal was far more forceful in race one.

LiamM
5th April 2009, 15:30
Saw a much more forceful move in the G50s too, it was a simple nugde, theres been plenty in the past, there will be more in the future

wedge
5th April 2009, 15:34

Not at all. It was a good fight. Neither he or Turkington wanted to give up. Collard had every right to take the racing line just as Gio did to Jelley near the start.

I think Sheddon was in a shout for a penalty for aggressive driving for his crap attempt at a love tap.

I've criticised Rob in the past and I take everything back. You drove solidly last year and wholeheartedly deserved that win.

BDunnell
5th April 2009, 16:03
I've criticised Rob in the past and I take everything back. You drove solidly last year and wholeheartedly deserved that win.

Me too. He drove really well. Yes, his move was a bit too forceful, but we've seen worse, eg from Neal in race one and Shedden in race two.

The Focuses (Focii?) still looked really bad. Plato's Chevy is clearly some way from the pace too, but could make for an 'interesting' race three.

AndySpeed
5th April 2009, 17:18
If Adam wins after tapping Plato then that would be a very unjust win... It would be akin to a professional foul in football.

Robinho
5th April 2009, 17:37
Neal should be kicked out of the championship, i lost count of how many cars he punted out of the way, yet i can't remember seeing him pass anyone without hitting them.

save of the year to Plato

VkmSpouge
5th April 2009, 17:42
Round 3
1 Jonathan Adam
2 Jason Plato
3 Matt Neal
4 Colin Turkington
5 Gordon Shedden
6 Dan Eaves
7 Adam Jones
8 Rob Collard
9 Harry Vaulkhard
10 Martyn Bell
11 Tom Chilton
12 Alan Morrison
13 Martin Johnson
14 John George
15 Nick Leason
R Andrew Jordan
R Fabrizio Giovanardi
R Liam McMillan
R Stephen Jelley
R Dave Pinkney

Jason Plato did exceedingly well to save after Adam nerfed him from behind and then to hold off Neal in the closing stages. Collard and Jelley's crash was a bit silly, Jelley could have backed off and Collard should have given him a bit more room, Giovanardi an unfortunate bystander.

Well done to both CVR drivers for finishing all the races in the points! The team should be pleased for what they achieved today.

If Adam wins after tapping Plato then that would be a very unjust win... It would be akin to a professional foul in football.

I don't think Adam intended to punt Plato, by the looks of things he simply mis-judged the distance and the speed into Paddock Hill Bend.

M4T VW
5th April 2009, 17:44
What a race that was :D

Awesome drive by Plato to keep 2nd by the end and what a save.
Glad to have him back in the championship! :D

I agree about Matt Neil. They were calling it "The Matt Neil Move" on TV. I call it crashing into other people! :laugh:

BDunnell
5th April 2009, 17:50
Hmmm. Not sure about Neal's moves there. A bit of contact once or twice I could understand, but [b]every[b] time he wants to get past someone there? Not really on, in my book. It was perhaps a shame that the people who won each race at Brands got into the lead by tapping the driver in front of them, although Adam's punt on Plato certainly didn't look deliberate. Neither was Stephen Jelley's defence of his shunt with Collard and Giovanardi all that convincing. He could surely have backed out and let Collard go, rather than keeping on pushing and ending three races.

But that aside, what a drive from Plato. That was genuinely exceptional. And all three races were really enjoyable.

AndySpeed
5th April 2009, 18:02
Adam's move may not have been deliberate, but if you are in a football match and you genuinely accidentally handball inside the area it will still be a penalty.

Eurotech
5th April 2009, 18:04
It was a great race and I never thought I'd say this but Plato was superb and thoroughly deserved that 2nd place.

those on Paddock Hill got 2 displays of plato's skill!

BDunnell
5th April 2009, 18:12
Adam's move may not have been deliberate, but if you are in a football match and you genuinely accidentally handball inside the area it will still be a penalty.

Fair point.

MattL
5th April 2009, 18:55
Adam has been given a penalty. Plato takes the win, with Adam second.

reidy_fan
5th April 2009, 19:44
matt neal has pulled moves like that for the last umpteen years as has plato but as soon as someone else does a bit of nudging they get a penalty. Is Gow so desperate to keep Plato in the BTCC that he and his clerks cheat by handing plato a win

fecking disgrace, jonny won the race fair and square

AndySpeed
5th April 2009, 19:47

I'm afraid I disagree staunchly with you there, read my comments above. Neal's moves were slightly questionable, performed with a small opening by the defending driver. Adam's was a hard punt that completely put the other driver at risk of going totally out of the race and potentially a big accident but for Plato's supreme car control.

M4T VW
5th April 2009, 20:12
They shook hands after the race and everything seemed ok by them. Its up to the stewards to investigate it or possibly RML reported it. Jason was not complaining.

VkmSpouge
5th April 2009, 20:13
Congratulations to Jason Plato on his victory then. Hopefully he'll be around for the rest of the season. I seem to remember Giovanardi doing something similar to Mike Jordan and not getting punished for it, I'm glad Adam was given an appropriate punishment. The right decision in my opinion.

MattL
5th April 2009, 20:44
Always going to be a tough one to call. I suspect that had Adam let Plato back past, and then had another go later on, there may have been no penalty, but I'm just speculating.

Robinho
5th April 2009, 20:56
probably a fair decision given the size of the "tap", but hwy Matt Neal is allowed to drive up the arse of the car in front, deliberatley, lap after lap is beyond me. the odd one when clearer quicker is ok, but the attempt to drive over people is plain stupid

VkmSpouge
5th April 2009, 21:10
I don't think Neal's moves were all that bad. His worst were on Turkington and Eaves but they were pretty typical touring car moves, unlike Adam accidentally punting Plato from behind.

BDunnell
5th April 2009, 21:43
Congratulations to Jason Plato on his victory then. Hopefully he'll be around for the rest of the season. I seem to remember Giovanardi doing something similar to Mike Jordan and not getting punished for it, I'm glad Adam was given an appropriate punishment. The right decision in my opinion.

If I remember correctly, Giovanardi at least had his licence endorsed. Can't remember if he was fined. Also, he didn't end up winning that race as a result of the collision with Jordan, did he? I know that shouldn't matter, but it does certainly add an extra dimension to it.

BDunnell
5th April 2009, 21:46
I don't think Neal's moves were all that bad. His worst were on Turkington and Eaves but they were pretty typical touring car moves, unlike Adam accidentally punting Plato from behind.

Yes, they weren't unlike anything else we've seen, but Neal made an awful lot of those moves today for my liking. Maybe he should watch Patrick Watts taking Alain Menu (brilliantly) there in 1995 to see how to make that pass without contact.

Dave B
6th April 2009, 08:13
I'm all for driving standards being toughened up, after all the series is drifting dangerously close to becoming a banger race, but they need to be consistent. I don't see that what JA did was anything worse that what Neal et al have been getting away with for years now.

Robinho
6th April 2009, 12:30
what bothers me is that Adam's was obviously a mistake, albeit he profitted from it, and i agree that he should have been penalised, but Neal especially and a couple of others) were persistently and deliberatley hitting cars to move them off line. he's always done it, especially at Brands at that corner, but this year was worse than ever - it was blatant, if your in front and driving defensively then its up to the car behind to find a way past, not just drive through them. its not like the cars he hit were weaving or blocking, just on the ideal defensive line, so he hits them - i call cheat

Eurotech
6th April 2009, 12:51
I think that Adam's move on Plato was maybe not deliberate but it was dangerous. If he'd done that to a BMW we could have had a repeat of Brands 07 when 2 drivers (a certain David Pinkney & Matt Neal) ended up in Hospital.

Bezza
6th April 2009, 13:22
I'm gutted. I thought the races were next weekend! Just shows how little I watch ITV now that the BBC has the F1 coverage.

Is there a highlights show repeated or anything on ITV 4 even?

tintin
6th April 2009, 13:47
I'm gutted. I thought the races were next weekend! Just shows how little I watch ITV now that the BBC has the F1 coverage.

Highlights tonight on ITV1, repeated tomorrow on ITV4 and again on Saturday on ITV4.

Mamnes
6th April 2009, 16:43
Johnny's move was clearly not deliberate, fair enough he's got experience with the SEATS but he's still a rookie at this level and especially when there are other areas of the track he could've done it with more subtlety than Paddock. And then there's someone like Jelley hitting everyone left right and centre :laugh: That's just my 2 cents though...

Martin-MC
6th April 2009, 17:05
My take on it was Plato braked slightly early perhaps wary of cold tyres. Adam was closing at a fair rate and was going to the outside anyhow, but Platos braking cought him out. You can see him trying to miss the Chevvy but at the speed he was at and with Plato braking it was inevitable contact was to be made.
The stewards should of made a decition within a few laps not after the event. I fail to see how Plato can be upset that hes been hit as hes hit every car on the grid over his career. Plenty of other talented drivers out there could pedal the car just as well and not winge and moan.

Wasted Talent
6th April 2009, 17:19
Neal should be kicked out of the championship, i lost count of how many cars he punted out of the way, yet i can't remember seeing him pass anyone without hitting them.

save of the year to Plato

Agree 100% with kicking Neal out, get rid of Shedden too - both of them were premeditated dirty moves, and they've been doing it for years.

As for Adam, I think it was a genuine mistake, but there should be a blue flag system so that he would have had to give the place back to Plato, but then fight on

WT

Wasted Talent
6th April 2009, 17:22
Adam has been given a penalty. Plato takes the win, with Adam second.

Sounds very fair to me

WT

Vaughan2005
6th April 2009, 17:24
Heya Folks,

What a fantastic days racing at Brands Hatch - A great way to start the new season :)

I've just uploaded a selection of my pictures from Race Day.

BTCC Races

http://www.flickr.com/photos/totalbtcc/sets/72157616338561777/

BTCC Support Races

http://www.flickr.com/photos/totalbtcc/sets/72157616426842244/

Thanks for looking :)

BTCC2
6th April 2009, 18:11
Some great pics there. love the one of Adam hitting JP, great action shot!

m.lowe
6th April 2009, 23:02
My take on it was Plato braked slightly early perhaps wary of cold tyres. Adam was closing at a fair rate and was going to the outside anyhow, but Platos braking cought him out. You can see him trying to miss the Chevvy but at the speed he was at and with Plato braking it was inevitable contact was to be made.
The stewards should of made a decition within a few laps not after the event. I fail to see how Plato can be upset that hes been hit as hes hit every car on the grid over his career. Plenty of other talented drivers out there could pedal the car just as well and not winge and moan.

Spot on there

c8nay
7th April 2009, 01:50

Highlights tonight on ITV1, repeated tomorrow on ITV4 and again on Saturday on ITV4.

I think the full coverage is on ITV player as well.

Holbon
7th April 2009, 20:42
Here are my BTCC pic's from Brands

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8272832@N05/sets/72157616354400630/

Cooper_S
7th April 2009, 22:54

100% agree... Plato braked for pete sake... still about the only way a chavy can win is by official interference :(

thompp
8th April 2009, 10:00
My piccies from Brands Hatch.

BTCC -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomppnation/sets/72157616420551230/

Support races -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomppnation/sets/72157616439076810/

Adam Bollons
8th April 2009, 12:49
Yes, they weren't unlike anything else we've seen, but Neal made an awful lot of those moves today for my liking. Maybe he should watch Patrick Watts taking Alain Menu (brilliantly) there in 1995 to see how to make that pass without contact.

I agree Patrick Watts move was a peach - the guy was a charger (that race didn't end too well for him though!)

I also agree that hitting someone square up the backside in order to push them wide to get past isn't on. Dive in to a gap, even if its a small one, thats racing and nothing wrong with contact in those situations. As far as I could see Dan Eaves defended his line perfectly so Neal just pushed him wide, in my opinion that amounts to Stock Car racing. Collard was guilty of the same in race two as was Turkington in race one (although they are all square after race 2).

I guess the real problem is that at Brands Indy overtaking opportunities are few and far between. Racing drivers will always push the boundries of acceptable behavior in the quest to move forwards.

Adam Bollons
8th April 2009, 12:59
Spot on there

I do agree that Plato has been in his fair share of scrapes, but have they gone without punishment? I think not. Jonny Adam made a mistake - its the job of the car behind to avoid the one in front, that mistake enabled him to pass which resulted in victory. It is unfair for anybody to win a race that way, although I am glad that the stewards only penalised him enough for him to finish second. Adam is a very talented driver and will clearly be challenging for wins this year.

BDunnell
8th April 2009, 13:03
I do agree that Plato has been in his fair share of scrapes, but have they gone without punishment? I think not. Jonny Adam made a mistake - its the job of the car behind to avoid the one in front, that mistake enabled him to pass which resulted in victory. It is unfair for anybody to win a race that way, although I am glad that the stewards only penalised him enough for him to finish second. Adam is a very talented driver and will clearly be challenging for wins this year.

I think that's a very fair assessment.

M4T VW
8th April 2009, 16:43
100% agree... Plato braked for pete sake... still about the only way a chavy can win is by official interference :(

If you look at the video footage i dont see any brake lights on Plato's car...

c8nay
8th April 2009, 22:51

You can if look close, just as Plato reaches the end of the pitwall before the 100 metre mark. The sun is shining so its hard to see clearly.

LiamM
8th April 2009, 23:36
And where was it on other laps?

Eurotech
9th April 2009, 12:31
this is a very simalar incident to the Collard Neal crash on 06 except this time the driver of the spining car saved it.

tisme
9th April 2009, 23:07
If you look at the footage taken from the camera between paddock and druids, Platos rear wheel locks before Adam hit him. Plato braked very early that lap.

Plato knew what he was doing, he has been racing these cars since 1997. It was Jonny Adams first meeting, he didn't stand a chance.

BDunnell
9th April 2009, 23:11
Having looked at the video of the incident today, I definitely feel that Plato did absolutely nothing deliberate and that Adam could have avoided the collision. But an incident such as this will always provoke controversy.

Mamnes
9th April 2009, 23:19
I think to be fair, its only part 1 of 10 so we shouldn't go over analysing everything now when there's still a full season ahead :laugh: Although I am a major supporter of Johnny and I know him and that's not how he races, he never has done either (the whole shunting business).

BDunnell
9th April 2009, 23:27
I think to be fair, its only part 1 of 10 so we shouldn't go over analysing everything now when there's still a full season ahead :laugh: Although I am a major supporter of Johnny and I know him and that's not how he races, he never has done either (the whole shunting business).

Oh, I'm sure it wasn't deliberate on his part either.