PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar is now on VERSUS!

VersusIndyCar
2nd April 2009, 20:16
Hello Motorsport Forums.

I wanted to let you know that VERSUS, the network that celebrates real competition, is the exclusive cable home of the IndyCar® Series.

This year, VERSUS has announced details for extensive additional race programming in 2009, which will accompany the network’s live race telecasts. The network is dedicating more than 130 hours of IndyCar Series coverage throughout the season. This includes a minimum of seven hours each week the network airs a race, the most ever during a race week. The programming will include four hour-long specials in March, additional programming in May surrounding the Indianapolis 500 and three-hour programming blocks on Mondays each race week that will feature flag-to-flag coverage of Firestone Indy Lights events and encores of IndyCar Series races. All IndyCar series telecasts will be produced and available in HD.

Thanks for your time, enjoy St. Pete's this weekend!
VersusIndyCar

Mandiblard
3rd April 2009, 01:50
Thank you very much for robbing other countries of Indycar coverage. No I wont enjoy St. Petes this weekend because I have no way to watch it.

DBell
3rd April 2009, 02:06
I can understand your frustration, but I think it's misdirected. Versus has nothing to do with the international feed. It's the IRL that has to make deals with international networks.

NickFalzone
3rd April 2009, 02:20
I'm looking forward to the show on Sunday, beyond just the race I'm curious how well VS does as far as presentation. I've found ESPN's coverage to be bland at best, and condescending at worst. The versus website seems to show they actually are putting an effort at marketing this racing properly, so I've got my fingers crossed it's a good telecast and the series brings in good ratings for them.

PA Rick
3rd April 2009, 04:06
Hello Motorsport Forums.

I wanted to let you know that VERSUS, the network that celebrates real competition, is the exclusive cable home of the IndyCar® Series.

This year, VERSUS has announced details for extensive additional race programming in 2009, which will accompany the network’s live race telecasts. The network is dedicating more than 130 hours of IndyCar Series coverage throughout the season. This includes a minimum of seven hours each week the network airs a race, the most ever during a race week. The programming will include four hour-long specials in March, additional programming in May surrounding the Indianapolis 500 and three-hour programming blocks on Mondays each race week that will feature flag-to-flag coverage of Firestone Indy Lights events and encores of IndyCar Series races. All IndyCar series telecasts will be produced and available in HD.

VersusIndyCar
I'm glad that the merged series is striking off onto a new and completely different direction. I wonder if they talked to Spike?

PA Rick
3rd April 2009, 04:11
In all seriousness I would rather they be on Vs then ESPN. How many times did you miss the start of a race because the women's noodle rolling semi finals went into overtime?

Shifter
3rd April 2009, 04:45
In all seriousness I would rather they be on Vs then ESPN. How many times did you miss the start of a race because the women's noodle rolling semi finals went into overtime?

Dude, I couldn't even begin to count. My sincere apologies to whomever cannot recieve VS, but the series was unforgivably mishandled by the stick and ball blowhard network.

DBell
3rd April 2009, 04:54
I'm glad that the merged series is striking off onto a new and completely different direction. I wonder if they talked to Spike?

I'm chuckling over that one PA Rick. :D As a CC fan, I remember that disaster well. Though I'm skeptical that Versus can deliver ratings better or equal to what the IRL got on ESPN, I have to admit they've surprised me some. I was watching "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery this week and lo and behold, a IRL ad from Versus comes on. I've been watching Discovery for years and I can't recall seeing an ad for ow racing before. I don't think that Versus is part of the Discovery family so they must've paid for the ad. I'll give them props for doing what they said they would do, advertise and promote Indycar. That's more than ESPN did. But they are a small, niche channel, like Spike, so I'm skeptical.

AussieV8
3rd April 2009, 05:10
At least those of you in the US with Versus can see the racing.

For the rest of us around the world (and in the US who don't have Versus), at least F1 is looking good this year.

beachbum
3rd April 2009, 12:37
I am old enough to remember when there was no racing on TV. Then along came these little upstart networks like ESPN and Speed and they covered motorsports. Initially, Speed wasn't found on most cable systems, but eventually they became popular enough that their coverage grew. Why did they get popular? Because they did a good job on motorsports. But now they have "sold out" to Fox, and the quality of coverage is often going the wrong way.

Now we have another new sports network. While it doesn't have the viewers of the other systems, they are really trying to do a good job promoting the IRL. This is important to them, and unlike racing on other networks where covering the racing seems like an interruption of the steady stream of commercials, I think they intend to focus on the racing and giving the TV fans a good experience. If they do meet their goals, they will grow.

In some ways, they are like the Golf Channel. When major golf coverage moved from networks to the then tiny Golf network, some pundits thought they would be the death of golf on TV. Well the Golf Channel does a much better job broadcasting the events than the networks, and now they have grown and now can be found on almost all cable and satellite systems. No one moans about losing the networks as the coverage is so much better.

I think in the long run, as race fans, we are much better off with Versus than the alternatives. The days of CC on Spike were a disaster as Spike had no idea what to do with the events. I expect with the Lingner Group involved, the broadcasts will be well done. All of the preseason ones have been good.

Chamoo
3rd April 2009, 14:36
Well this is the weekend of truth. I guess we get to see how they do this weekend production-wise. I am hoping for the best. I've seen their NHL coverage and it's better then any American coverage I'd seen.

I'm just hoping TSN doesn't screw us over for the IRL races this year in Canada.

bblocker68
3rd April 2009, 16:13
Got my DVR set for IndyCar and F1, Qually and races. Thanks!!

Rex Monaco
3rd April 2009, 16:20
I am old enough to remember when there was no racing on TV.

You never watched ABC's Wide World of Sports? They showed Indycar, NASCAR and F1 races. Granted it was only the 'important' races like the Indy 500, Daytona and Monaco. But it was racing!

Rex Monaco
3rd April 2009, 16:23

I hope you are not just part of some viral marketing team, and that you will be back to listen to our ideas on how to improve your coverage and answer our questions.

Rex Monaco
3rd April 2009, 16:40
You never watched ABC's Wide World of Sports? They showed Indycar, NASCAR and F1 races. Granted it was only the 'important' races like the Indy 500, Daytona and Monaco. But it was racing!

It's been so long, but I think that CBS might have shown some races too.

VersusIndyCar
3rd April 2009, 20:36
I hope you are not just part of some viral marketing team, and that you will be back to listen to our ideas on how to improve your coverage and answer our questions.

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been a bit late in responding back to you.

To add to what beachbum mentioned, VERSUS is really dedicated to covering IndyCar this season.

From a press release I received, I can tell you that “it’s important to [VERSUS] that racing fans are given more coverage than ever before and we are very excited about the terrific schedule we put together for the first season of the IndyCar Series on VERSUS."

VERSUS will be airing over 130 hours of coverage dedicated to IndyCar this season. This is a chance for race fans to get closer to the action.

Also, VERSUS is airing the qualifying races (at least for this weekend, I am certain). For more information than I can hope to provide you with, check out http://www.versus.com/irl.

Mad_Hatter
4th April 2009, 00:01
:up:

Mark in Oshawa
4th April 2009, 05:03
My thought on VS? Well, As a hockey fan I am well acquainted with them taking over the NHL coverage and my only complaint is their lack of reach into a lot of households in the US. That I only know of from complaints from my American friends who love hockey. That said, these guys will do a good job on the actual coverage. Bob Jenkins is a credible guy and I THINK with the coverage planned, this will work. It HAS to.

What I do like hearing is the one hour planned on the day before to sum up qualifying and the 3 hour broadcast of a 2 hour race. Extra's, features and the like will at least give the racing fans some content unlike the crap coverage CCWS was getting in their final days where the opening was done with the pace car rolling on the last warmup lap and the winner getting out of the car as the credits ran 2 hours later.....

Wade91
4th April 2009, 17:17
i'm sure verses is gonna take alot more pride in their broadcasts of indy races sence its about the biggest sport their are showing, where as ESPN seemed more concerned with just about any other kinda sport

mlj
5th April 2009, 18:11
My thought on VS? Well, As a hockey fan I am well acquainted with them taking over the NHL coverage and my only complaint is their lack of reach into a lot of households in the US. That I only know of from complaints from my American friends who love hockey. That said, these guys will do a good job on the actual coverage. Bob Jenkins is a credible guy and I THINK with the coverage planned, this will work. It HAS to.

What I do like hearing is the one hour planned on the day before to sum up qualifying and the 3 hour broadcast of a 2 hour race. Extra's, features and the like will at least give the racing fans some content unlike the crap coverage CCWS was getting in their final days where the opening was done with the pace car rolling on the last warmup lap and the winner getting out of the car as the credits ran 2 hours later.....

I totally agree with you Mark, especially with the part about the lack of reach into more households. I have DISH Network and even though it meant that I had to Upgrade to their highest ($$$) plan to get Versus, and will drop back down when the Season is over. It is worth the extra $60.00 to $70.00 it will cost me !!

harvick#1
5th April 2009, 19:57
I must say, Vs. is already better than ESPN. they are actually covering a race, ESPN couldn't do it cause there is no ball to follow :rolleyes:

nigelred5
6th April 2009, 01:26
I thought the coverage was good today. I frequently remind myself not to expect a lot of technical conversation about the cars, but I thought the commentary was good. THANK YOU! To whom ever was responsible for bringing Jon to the team.

Comcast seems to be putting a lot into promotion of VS as their national sports and entertainment channel. I've seen Vs cross promote the network and the particular events quite well on my local Comcast network. from what I can tell, Comcast runs a good number of Vs commercials in their system controlled blocks of ad time across my channel lineup. I've even seen them run on ESPN.

garyshell
6th April 2009, 02:00
The thing that impressed me the most was the ending time of 5:21 PM. It was scheduled from 2-5 PM. But it was allowed to go overtime. When is the last time we weren't the victims of that sort of action?

Gary

nigelred5
6th April 2009, 02:06
Unfortunately, my DVR cut off right as Briscoe rounded the final turn, right on time.

ChicagocrewIRL
6th April 2009, 04:22
ESPN who ????

Also anyone who compares the Spike TV deal to this is absolutely brain dead.

Versus is now NUMBER 1 on my favorite channel list

jarrambide
6th April 2009, 04:48
Hey guys!

Sorry I've been a bit late in responding back to you.

To add to what beachbum mentioned, VERSUS is really dedicated to covering IndyCar this season.

From a press release I received, I can tell you that “it’s important to [VERSUS] that racing fans are given more coverage than ever before and we are very excited about the terrific schedule we put together for the first season of the IndyCar Series on VERSUS."

VERSUS will be airing over 130 hours of coverage dedicated to IndyCar this season. This is a chance for race fans to get closer to the action.

Also, VERSUS is airing the qualifying races (at least for this weekend, I am certain). For more information than I can hope to provide you with, check out http://www.versus.com/irl.

Get Dish to include Versus in a package that is not the high end package, I don´t have the basic package, in fact, I´m one package below the most expensive package, and Versus is not included, I had to go to a friend´s house to watch the race.

ThunderCy
6th April 2009, 08:22
As far as I know IRL is on SKy network in the UK and on Premiere network in Germany.
I've watched the race last night through Premiere with an option of having a German or English broadcast. :)

Andrewmcm
6th April 2009, 10:04
Excellent coverage by the Versus people!

PA Rick
7th April 2009, 22:30
Ah, I am watching Grand Prix on Turnrer Classic Movies and am waxing nostalgic. James Garner, Jessica Walter, and Graham Hill. And no wings! Of course there are also stone walls, trees, telephone poles and even houses at the edge of the tarmac!
Part of me wants the races to be on one of the big three networks with a 20 rating and part of me wants it to be on a smaller cable network with p&q coverage and three hours plus on race day.
It looks like Versus will be covering practice and qualifying for all races including Indy with the Indy 500 on network TV as it should be. Maybe this is the best of both worlds.
By the way, Versus is on our expanded basic cable (channel 30) so I can get it on any TV in the house.

SarahFan
8th April 2009, 01:43
Hello Motorsport Forums.

VersusIndyCar

it seems that the 233k is being reported for viewership of St Pete..

can you confirm that #?

did that # meet, exceed or fall short of expectations?

and it's my understanding that commercial time-buy is given a minimum gauranteed rating..... was it met?

DBell
8th April 2009, 02:06
Ah, I am watching Grand Prix on Turnrer Classic Movies and am waxing nostalgic. James Garner, Jessica Walter, and Graham Hill. And no wings! Of course there are also stone walls, trees, telephone poles and even houses at the edge of the tarmac!

The movie that got me into motorsports 31 years ago. Special place in my heart for that.

I race a computer sim called Grand Prix Legends that's based on 60's F1. I was doing a race at Monza 10K this weekend. The guys who made this track made it so you not only race the real names of the time, but also characters from the movie, Pete Aaron, Sarti and so on. I was having a good race until that arrogant *#%^ twit Stoddart hit me from behind entering the Parabolica. Too bad Aaron didn't finish him off in Monaco. :D

So I'm not completely off topic. I'd like to say I thought Versus did a good job with coverage. Much better than ABC/ESPN did. I hope the ratings will get better, but for a fan who has gotten used to incompetent coverage of AOW racing the last few years, I appreciate the job Versus did.