PDA

View Full Version : Got to the Airport but no go!

FIA
2nd April 2009, 19:18
I have always heard that at the 1993 South African Grand Prix the Bravo-Judd team turned up at the airport or track with Jordi Gene (and Larini?) only to be turned away because of tyre supplier issues. What number did they have if they did?

Also I heard that the Mrach F1 Team turned up at the same grand prix with Jan lammers and Jean-Marc Gounon, but were turned away.

The same again with the Larrousse team at the 1995 San Marino Grand Prix, apparently they turned up ith Olivier Bernard.

And finally the Phoenix-Hart team with Gaston Mazzacane and Tarso Marques at the 2002 Malaysian Grand Prix, but again no tyre supplier.

But are these stories actually true, and is there any others?

inimitablestoo
3rd April 2009, 21:02
March definitely made it to South Africa, but had no way of paying Ilmor for engines, so missed the Grand Prix and had to withdraw from F1 soon after. I'm fairly sure the Bravo team had folded long before that; certainly they didn't feature in any of the pre-season previews I saw that year.

Not sure how close Larrousse got to competing in 1995, although an Imola start was always the plan. I believe the Phoenix cars did make it to Malaysia itself, but if I recall were denied access even to the circuit.

Sonic
3rd April 2009, 21:03
WOW I'd forgotten about Phoenix. Yes I believe they did turn up but they had only bought the cars from Prost but had neglected to buy an entry into the championship :rolleyes:

The only other one I remember was the Larrousse team collapse - from memory I can't remember them turning up for any GP's. As far as I know they never built a car to the '95 regs.