PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't get the WTCC

Winchester
12th February 2007, 21:32
I see the WTCC powers that be have announced a 30 minute test session for five venues next season.
Which brings me neatly on to my point.
The WTCC now have up two (or three) practice sessions, qualifying, a pre-race warm-up then the races.... over in 20 minutes flat!
Why do they bother with so much build up for such short races?
The BTCC has always been good value for money - used to be one short and one long race and i think the current format of 3x 20/25 minute races works very well.
The WTCC's only saving grace was the races being back to back which was quite intense, but even that's been scrapped.
I was thinking of going to Brands in September but I don't know if its worth it.
What does everyone think?

Captain VXR
12th February 2007, 22:28
Go anyway, it's your only chance of seeing WTCC this year without going abroad and you may enjoy the Formula Masters very much, maybe even as much as I enjoy seeing the Formula BMWs at BTCC meets. Also, the BTCC races are very far apart (upto 4 hours) so you would be waiting a long time to see BTCC cars hurtle past but then the support races are top notch.

racer69
13th February 2007, 03:01
Be good if the WTCC went back to the format from the first WTCC, 500km two-driver races!

Iain
13th February 2007, 07:53
Also, the BTCC races are very far apart (upto 4 hours) so you would be waiting a long time to see BTCC cars hurtle past but then the support races are top notch.

No big gaps anymore really. Because of live TV the timetables are quite tight.

I think the WTCC has all the buildup because it is a World Championship and they try to make it seem slightly superior to the domestic championships.

Captain VXR
13th February 2007, 17:04
I'm just speaking of my experiences of touring car racing in 2005 at Thruxton and Silverstone. The third BTCC race is the only live one so timetables don't have to be packed and I remember Jason Plato saying that they had four hours to fix his Leon after a crash before the next race.