PDA

View Full Version : *Rumour* Canada to return in place of Abu Dhabi?

christophulus
29th March 2009, 19:08
No idea how accurate this is but Abu Dhabi could be in trouble with the construction of the circuit. Would be brilliant to have Canada back, but in October??

http://www.f1way.com/news/2009/March/29/report---abu-dhabi-in-trouble-canada-to-sub

http://www.f1way.com/news/2009/March/29/montreal-mayor-reveals-ecclestone-talks

markabilly
29th March 2009, 19:14
I want it as the last race, might be a good one.
But who knows, probably Bernie's way of making threats to make them pick up the pace and keep those under the table money flows going.....say is that not where that prison is???

All the money is what got abu the last race and bernie luv money
so I really hold out little hope for a canuuck gp, cause Canada does not have the bread to pay Bernie

veeten
29th March 2009, 19:52
the reason why Canada and France were bumped off the calendar was that both organisations were already behind in paying for previous races, and that the financial/credit crises have made things worse.

Now, it looks as the 'darling' of Bernie's eye isn't all that financially stable either, and he has to find a 'fall back' position, that being Montreal. There were a good number of folks, both inside and out, that hinted that Abu Dhabi was not going to be ready, muchaless able, to do a F1 race in these financial times.
Looks like they just might be right...

rickos
29th March 2009, 19:52
Bernie better dish it up if he needs another sandbox for his dinky cars.

Sonic
29th March 2009, 20:25
Now I've never been to Canada in October - but whats the weather going to be like if it happens?

D28
29th March 2009, 22:50
Late Sept. early Oct were the traditional dates for the Canadian and US GPs, Mosport, Montreal and Watkins Glen. Weather can be iffy but the races are doable. Given the massive deficits facing the Canadian and Quebec governments, I put no faith in the rumour.

jso1985
29th March 2009, 22:56
I'd certainly love to have the Canadian GP back, but late October doesn't sound like the best date for the race, it's kinda cold already during those dates right?

D28
29th March 2009, 23:48
The latest Canadian GP was held on Oct. 9 1977 at Mosport. As I mentioned above the weather can be cool and rainy, but it is possible.
However, the link mentions holding the race before Brazil (Oct.!8) but Japan is set for Oct. 4. One week is probably not enough time between these 2 races to squeeze in a N. American venue. I cannot see this happening and I don't think the governments/organizers should assist Bernie to play off one country against another.

nigelred5
29th March 2009, 23:53
UH, Montreal, in Late October? Just like at the Glen, Weather was ALWAYS a problem. Better set up the grid on snowmobiles. I attended the USGP from 70 to 80 and a couple canadian GP's. I think one, maybe two were dry all three days and temps were usually in the 40- 50's during the day.

I'm all for seeing Canada AND the US back on the schedule at the expense of yet another middle eastern desert track. Once the Middle east stopped raping the world, we see what happened to their profits. While they are at it, can Malaysia too, it's a bore of a track.

And then drop the sanction fees t oa reasonable level by say, 2/3 and maybe EVERYONE will be able to afford to continue to hold. The thought of GB, France and Germany being without a Grand Prix is unfathomable.

rickos
30th March 2009, 01:17
The latest Canadian GP was held on Oct. 9 1977 at Mosport. As I mentioned above the weather can be cool and rainy, but it is possible.

It rained. I was there. It can snow in October and there is a better chance in Montreal than at Mosport at that time of the year.

Dave B
30th March 2009, 08:09
I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be nice if it were true as Abu Dhabi looks like just another soulless Tilke job in the middle of nowhere, whereas Circuit Gilles Villeneuve at least has some character and history.

AndyRAC
30th March 2009, 08:59
I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be nice if it were true as Abu Dhabi looks like just another soulless Tilke job in the middle of nowhere, whereas Circuit Gilles Villeneuve at least has some character and history.

Yes, sadly it does seem it is. It seems as if any new country wanting to host a GP has to have plenty of cash, and have the track designed by Tilke. Sorry, but he's no John Hugenholz (Suzuka, Zandvoort).
To me, this is what sums up what is wrong with Formula 1 - charging ridiculous fees to hold a race. As much as I would like to see Canada back on the calendar, not if it means they have to pay Bernie a stupid fee. It should be up to the FiA who gets a race, not Bernie.

DexDexter
30th March 2009, 09:47
UH, Montreal, in Late October? Just like at the Glen, Weather was ALWAYS a problem. Better set up the grid on snowmobiles. I attended the USGP from 70 to 80 and a couple canadian GP's. I think one, maybe two were dry all three days and temps were usually in the 40- 50's during the day.

I'm all for seeing Canada AND the US back on the schedule at the expense of yet another middle eastern desert track. Once the Middle east stopped raping the world, we see what happened to their profits. While they are at it, can Malaysia too, it's a bore of a track.

And then drop the sanction fees t oa reasonable level by say, 2/3 and maybe EVERYONE will be able to afford to continue to hold. The thought of GB, France and Germany being without a Grand Prix is unfathomable.

I hope the Canadian GP is reinstated too, but talking about the fees, F1 cannot just suddenly drop the sanctions fees by a huge amount, that's going to affect the organisation and teams terribly. Having said that, since F1 is such a niche sport in your US and A, King Bernie should understand that lower sanction fees are necessary in order to get races in North America.

christophulus
30th March 2009, 16:48
Abu Dhabi say tickets are on sale so might well be a false rumour

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74100

UltimateDanGTR
30th March 2009, 17:20
Canada should've never have been removed in the first place!!!!!

silly Bernie, We should have an 18 race calender this year, but oh no.....

the bro
30th March 2009, 17:22
A more in depth article here from the Montreal Gazette.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Grand+Prix+back+Montreal+fall/1441729/story.html

Hopefully they can use this as a bargaining chip, to get the race back on the calendar permanently. The weather could be cold, but hey at least there would be a race.

ioan
30th March 2009, 17:33
I've got a close friend who's working as engineer on the Abu Dhabi site right now, last time he came home he told me that they were late and under a lot of pressure to finish the venue in time.

For sure they can finish the whole thing before the race but I think that the FIA deadline for the track is a few months before the race. If they can't meet the FIA deadline the FIA has the right to refuse the circuit the right to hold any FIA sanctioned race.

DexDexter
30th March 2009, 17:48
A more in depth article here from the Montreal Gazette.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Grand+Prix+back+Montreal+fall/1441729/story.html

Hopefully they can use this as a bargaining chip, to get the race back on the calendar permanently. The weather could be cold, but hey at least there would be a race.

The weather will not be a problem, in 1993 they raced at Donington in the spring! Cannot be worse than that.

jens
30th March 2009, 18:51
Canadian GP in late Autumn? :)
Mentioning that, didn't it start snowing at Montreal after the race in 1978? :p :

D28
30th March 2009, 19:11
Yes it did snow sometime after the race, but not on Oct 8 1978, the day Gille Villeneuve won in Montreal. The race report by Gerald Donaldson lists the weather as dry but blustery, it was very cool.
This would be the limit for a race date. I still don't understand how they could squeeze the race between Japan and Brazil, anybody know?

Easy Drifter
30th March 2009, 19:11
Snow in late Oct. is a very real possibility in MTL. Even early Oct. it is possible.
Have driven through snow to races at the Glen in Oct.
Have been hunting in snow many times in central Ont. in Oct. and Mtl. is further north.
Also NASCAR now controls the race rights to the track I believe.
Anything up here after early Sept. can be dicey. It could be in the 80's or in the 30's.
Late Sept. and Oct. tend to be rainy but the weather these days seems more and more unusual.

emporer_k
30th March 2009, 20:36
An F1 race in the snow would be an incredible sight.

ioan
30th March 2009, 20:38

They would run 100% of it behind the SC, you can take that for granted.

woody2goody
31st March 2009, 02:52
I love the Canadian Grand Prix, along with Brazil and the USA it's nice to have races I can watch while eating my tea! :)

F1 cars run well in cool conditions, so they should only have to bring soft compounds of tyres and we should have a great race, especially with these cars.

I'm sure Abu Dhabi will be fine for 09 but I'll be really annoyed if Canada isn't back for 2010.

Dave B
31st March 2009, 08:18
The rumour is comprehensively debunked by Joe Saward (grandprix.com) here:
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/03/30/applying-logic-to-f1-news/
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21316.html

AndyRAC
31st March 2009, 08:22

Especially on studded tyres....!! Now that I would like to see. Not a chance in hell though.

ioan
31st March 2009, 10:44
I've got a close friend who's working as engineer on the Abu Dhabi site right now, last time he came home he told me that they were late and under a lot of pressure to finish the venue in time.

For sure they can finish the whole thing before the race but I think that the FIA deadline for the track is a few months before the race. If they can't meet the FIA deadline the FIA has the right to refuse the circuit the right to hold any FIA sanctioned race.

BTW I mixed up Abu Dhabi with Dubai.

D28
31st March 2009, 18:54
It seems the Montreal organizers are now distancing themselves from the rumours, according to today's Montreal Gazette. Surprise, surprise, the Canadaian event is off the 2009 calendar as there is no time to reschedule it this fall.

Shifter
31st March 2009, 22:24
I just really hope that we don't get hyped for the season finale only to have the track surface ripped to bits by friday practice.

jso1985
1st April 2009, 02:27
agree with shifter, while the track has a good lay-out and and awesome history, it'd certainly kill the season finale momentum if the track is in such bad state as it was last year

Shifter
1st April 2009, 04:39
oh, well yes Canada has had some patchy track area but what I was referring to was the yas marina circuit. It gets hot in Abu Dhabi!

nigelred5
1st April 2009, 04:42
I hope the Canadian GP is reinstated too, but talking about the fees, F1 cannot just suddenly drop the sanctions fees by a huge amount, that's going to affect the organisation and teams terribly. Having said that, since F1 is such a niche sport in your US and A, King Bernie should understand that lower sanction fees are necessary in order to get races in North America.

Maybe if he quit stuffing so much of it in his pockets, it wouldn't be such an issue. ;)

Easy Drifter
1st April 2009, 06:26
It ain't going to happen. The Cdn. and Quebec Govts. have too much else to bother with and the 'Demented Midget' didn't make any friends with either.
Also NASCAR has rights to all races at the track now and they will not want an F1 race there. The bridges were burned behind Bernie.

stevie_gerrard
1st April 2009, 10:33
I think Canada should be back on the f1 calendar, it was my favourite GP of the season bar Brazil, however October is extremely late for it, won't they be racing in Snow at that point? :p :

I did hear that construction is behind schedule in Abu Dhabi, but i honestly think Bernie will leave it to the last minute before changing the venue for the final race if necessary.