PDA

View Full Version : Parc Ferme and gearbox related rules

ioan
29th March 2009, 10:47
Alex Wurz commenting for the Austrian TV said that Brawn GP was allowed to change 4th gear in Jensons gearbox, for safety reasons.

Well this is very interesting.

Isn't it that they need to run 3 races with the same gearbox this season?! And rebuilding the gearbox is out of question, same like with engines?

Hamilton's gearbox had to be changed and he lost 5 places in the process, though I suppose they could have repaired it too.

Also I have a bit of troubles understanding how a faulty 4th gear is suddenly a safety reason!

PS: This is no Brawn GP or Bunsen bashing thread, so please keep to explaining the rules and their interpretation in this case.

Ranger
29th March 2009, 10:55
Alex Wurz commenting for the Austrian TV said that Brawn GP was allowed to change 4th gear in Jensons gearbox, for safety reasons.

Well this is very interesting.

Isn't it that they need to run 3 races with the same gearbox this season?! And rebuilding the gearbox is out of question, same like with engines?

Hamilton's gearbox had to be changed and he lost 5 places in the process, though I suppose they could have repaired it too.

Also I have a bit of troubles understanding how a faulty 4th gear is suddenly a safety reason!

PS: This is no Brawn GP or Bunsen bashing thread, so please keep to explaining the rules and their interpretation in this case.

This year you can change the individual gears in parc ferme but not the gearbox.

McLaren could've changed a single gear on Hamilton's car after Saturday but changed the whole box and incurred the penalty.

Daniel
29th March 2009, 10:56
Interesting Ioan. Brawn are teh cheatz lol! :p

ioan
29th March 2009, 11:09
This year you can change the individual gears in parc ferme but not the gearbox.

McLaren could've changed a single gear on Hamilton's car after Saturday but changed the whole box and incurred the penalty.

Thanks for clearing that up. That's the answer I was looking for.

ioan
29th March 2009, 11:10
Interesting Ioan. Brawn are teh cheatz lol! :p

Don't be childish. :)

Daniel
29th March 2009, 13:23
Don't be childish. :)
I was being sarcastic ;) People have actually been quite good during this race for once :)