PDA

View Full Version : What's the right tyre strategy?

janneppi
29th March 2009, 10:08
Today we saw two kinds on strategies, short first with soft tyres and short third stin with soft tyres. Ferarris and Kubica lost in the end of their first stints but Kubica was miles faster than the "other" guys in the last stint.

I'm not terribly thrilled about the idea to provide unsuitable tyres to teams to mix up the pack in the first place.

And before you start going on about the Kubica Vettel incident, don't!

Valve Bounce
29th March 2009, 10:14
Setting fire to the entire pile of soft tyres would be a start.

Valve Bounce
29th March 2009, 10:28
By the same reasoning, this thread can be moved to here: http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132334

Ranger
29th March 2009, 10:31
There's no right strategy if the SC interferes.

Today it seemed like the soft/hard/hard strategy would have worked best because of the relatively early safety car.

ioan
29th March 2009, 11:12
I'm not terribly thrilled about the idea to provide unsuitable tyres to teams to mix up the pack in the first place.

That is another knee jerk attempt from FOM and FIA to artificially improve the "show".
Will they ever stop coming up with such garbage?

jens
29th March 2009, 11:56
Due to the safety car session those guys, who decided to run with softs during the first stint, definetely gained. Kubica was half a minute, if not more, behind leaders before SC, but at the end of the race could have even challenged for a win on superior tyres.

AndyL
29th March 2009, 14:29
Due to the safety car session those guys, who decided to run with softs during the first stint, definetely gained. Kubica was half a minute, if not more, behind leaders before SC, but at the end of the race could have even challenged for a win on superior tyres.

Martin Brundle commented that Ferrari might have made the same calculation (that the disadvantage of running the soft tyres early would probably be wiped out by a safety car), they didn't manage to make it pay like Kubica nearly did though.

wedge
29th March 2009, 15:06

Hard to say. It seems how the car/driver best deals with the graining.

The track cooled considerably in the last 18 laps which on paper suggests the softs would work better but Nico and Vettell suffered graining.

markabilly
29th March 2009, 15:54

!

Oh so that is it!!! I was wondering why there were two sets, thought it was to give teams a choice so as to gain an advantage.....not to just screw things all up.......time then to go with one tire, Period.

(BTW-did they not steal the idea from the old american cart series? And see what happenned to them....)

I will say something to Uncle Maxine at the next "private main event" but i may have to whip him into submission. Wish me luck :vader:

Robinho
30th March 2009, 11:26
i don't think the soft runners would have stood a chance towards the end if the safety car hadn't been out, allowing them to catch up form the early pitstops.

ulimately if your only going to run them for 10 or less laps, it ought not to make much difference when, as long as you can make the most of both conditions - if you can minimise the pain when others are running hards and then carve through when everyones softs are shot then you can catch up, but without safety cras Kubica/Hamilton and the Ferraris(if they were still going) would have been challenging for the lower points rather than the podium

ioan
30th March 2009, 15:28
i don't think the soft runners would have stood a chance towards the end if the safety car hadn't been out, allowing them to catch up form the early pitstops.

Exactly.