PDA

View Full Version : Australian GP: Toyota disqualified for using 'flexi-wimgs'

Giuseppe F1
28th March 2009, 10:45
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74008

Toyota duo disqualified over flexi wings

Saturday, March 28th 2009, 10:45 GMT

The Toyota team has been disqualified from qualifying from the Australian Grand Prix over the flexibility of its cars' wings.

Timo Glock and Jarno Trulli had qualified in sixth and eighth positions respectively, but a post-qualifying scrutineering revealed their cars' wings were flexing beyond what's allowed in the rules.

The duo are expected to be allowed to start the race from the back if the team replaces the wings with ones that comply with the regulations.

Dave B
28th March 2009, 10:51
Wow. Didn't see that coming.

The duo are expected to be allowed to start the race from the back if the team replaces the wings with ones that comply with the regulations.
And if they don't have replacement parts available? :eek:

F1boat
28th March 2009, 10:52
wow. That's a terrible start for the Japanese squad.

AJP
28th March 2009, 10:52
Woah...
Naughty Naughty Toyota

yodasarmpit
28th March 2009, 10:55
Bloody hell, the starting grid hasn't even lined up and we have teams disqualified.
How the hell were Toyota not aware that their wing were illegal?

This will be a bit of a relief to Ferrari, as they are the direct beneficiaries of this decision.

jens
28th March 2009, 10:56
Wow, from a potential top contender suddenly to midfield... to a backmarker a few hours later. I really don't know, whether I should laugh or not. :p : What a huge cock-up.

I'm now almost sure this is Toyota's last season in F1. They are totally screwed. Jarno, try to enjoy your last year in F1! :D

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 10:56
Stiff!!

ozrevhead
28th March 2009, 10:57
shocking start - Pino wont be pleased :(

But if you make you bed and lie in it

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 10:59
shocking start - Pino wont be pleased :(

But if you make you bed and lie in it

See!! The race stewards are on the ball.

ozrevhead
28th March 2009, 11:06
See!! The race stewards are on the ball.
pitty the FIA isnt

F1boat
28th March 2009, 11:08
Bloody hell, the starting grid hasn't even lined up and we have teams disqualified.
How the hell were Toyota not aware that their wing were illegal?

This will be a bit of a relief to Ferrari, as they are the direct beneficiaries of this decision.

Yes. And with the KERS Massa IMO can be third after Turn 1.

yodasarmpit
28th March 2009, 11:10
Yes. And with the KERS Massa IMO can be third after Turn 1.I'm yet to be convinced by KERS, did nothing in qualifying, however on the start line it may prove it's worth.

N. Jones
28th March 2009, 11:12
Hmm.... I don't see this story anywhere else. All I see is that Toyota has been relegated to the back of the grid. :(

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 11:12
I'm yet to be convinced by KERS, did nothing in qualifying, however on the start line it may prove it's worth.

Maybe it could cause wheelspin? Can the cars handle more power from a standing start? I thought KERS would help cars overtake on a long straight.

DexDexter
28th March 2009, 11:17
Wow, from a potential top contender suddenly to midfield... to a backmarker a few hours later. I really don't know, whether I should laugh or not. :p : What a huge cock-up.

I'm now almost sure this is Toyota's last season in F1. They are totally screwed. Jarno, try to enjoy your last year in F1! :D

Spot on, F1 needs new teams for 2010 for sure. As discussed before, it seems to be the same old story with Toyota as in previous years. Hope I'm proven wrong.

ioan
28th March 2009, 11:21

:rolleyes:

christophulus
28th March 2009, 11:24
Williams protest Ferrari & Red Bull cars (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74012)

It's all kicking off! Same reason as for Toyota I believe

ioan
28th March 2009, 11:24
Maybe it could cause wheelspin? Can the cars handle more power from a standing start? I thought KERS would help cars overtake on a long straight.

Who says they use it from standing start, they can hit the KERS button when the car already got some speed and they will still have a few seconds to take profit of those supplementary 80 HP.

jens
28th March 2009, 11:26
Dear F1 fans, it's getting absolutely mad!!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74012
Red Bull and Ferrari could be also under investigation!

jens
28th March 2009, 11:28
Williams protest Ferrari & Red Bull cars (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74012)

It's all kicking off! Same reason as for Toyota I believe

Wow, it's getting absolutely mad! It wasn't said without a reason that 2009 would be a very memorable year. It could also be memorable due to all kinds of off-track activities.

No surprise here that with huge changes in regulations there will be a lot of protests and unclarified things. Oh well...

yodasarmpit
28th March 2009, 11:28
:rolleyes:
What?

Dave B
28th March 2009, 11:29
Who says they use it from standing start, they can hit the KERS button when the car already got some speed and they will still have a few seconds to take profit of those supplementary 80 HP.

IIRC you're not allowed to use KERS until the car has reached 100kph.

yodasarmpit
28th March 2009, 11:29

It's all kicking off! Same reason as for Toyota I believeIt's getting silly already.

ioan
28th March 2009, 11:31
What?

You know what.

ioan
28th March 2009, 11:31

So, not for the first second or so. ;)

F1boat
28th March 2009, 11:32
Wow, it's getting absolutely mad! It wasn't said without a reason that 2009 would be a very memorable year. It could also be memorable due to all kinds of off-track activities.

No surprise here that with huge changes in regulations there will be a lot of protests and unclarified things. Oh well...

What to say. Martin Whitmarsh predicted that things could become ugly and they did. Horner first stated that is seeking a clarification, then said that it is a "shame" that Brawn GP, Williams and Toyota are allowed to race and Luca also was spitting threads, from what I read on F1-live and Massa implied that Brawn GP must be stopped, or the season will be over by June.
So it is backfiring now and I think that if the stewards allows Red Bull and Ferrari cars to race, which I think that they will, Williams will appeal. That's why the non-diffuser teams should have kept silent and try to be inventive as well. Now if they are forced to remove the wings, I won't feel sorry for them.
Not at all.

yodasarmpit
28th March 2009, 11:35
You know what.

No, I think it would be beneficial for you to explain your comment.

ioan
28th March 2009, 11:40
No, I think it would be beneficial for you to explain your comment.

Why Ferrari? Why wouldn't the move not benefit other teams? Like Renault? BMW? McLaren?
So much bias and hatred coming from you.

Ranger
28th March 2009, 11:44
Not even the first race and Brawn, Toyota, Williams, Red Bull (and Toro Rosso) and Ferrari are going to be investigated.

That's all the top 8 teams!

:s hock:

...maybe the other two teams would be protested against if they were a threat to anyone!

F1boat
28th March 2009, 11:45
Not even the first race and Brawn, Toyota, Williams, Red Bull (and Toro Rosso) and Ferrari are going to be investigated.

...maybe the other two teams would be protested against if they were a threat to anyone!
That's why Macca are keeping silent. They wait the other teams to disqualify each other and McLaren will score 1-2 :)

ShiftingGears
Considering that Toyota didn't appeal the decision, I think they will have some spare wings that comply with the regulations. Because if they had any lack of confidence in the legality of the wings they would've brought spares.

yodasarmpit
Why Ferrari? Why wouldn't the move not benefit other teams? Like Renault? BMW? McLaren?
So much bias and hatred coming from you.Wow, that's an odd interpretation of my post.
Nowhere did I allude to this being a deliberate action to benefit Ferrari.
I was simply stating that like McLaren, Ferrari must have been disappointed with their performance coming into this GP, and they would be somewhat relieved by being the lead team to benefit by moving up the grid to a more competitive position.
I do fear that your own bias causes you to perceive any comment in relation to Ferrari as a personal attack, even when it is abundantly clear to anyone that this is not the case.

Ranger
28th March 2009, 11:48
That's why Macca are keeping silent. They wait the other teams to disqualify each other and McLaren will score 1-2 :)

I meant the top 6 teams btw :p : but they are still the fastest 6 teams.

And based on McLaren's pace that would be an alright plan. :p :

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 11:51

Kerses!! :eek: ya got me there, ioan. :(

dj_bytedisaster
28th March 2009, 11:52

which is like 2 seconds after the start ;)

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 11:56
which is like 2 seconds after the start ;)

.................or more precisely: 1.67803398 seconds.

jens
28th March 2009, 11:58

:rotflmao: Now I get it - this is how they are sandbagging!

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 11:59
:rotflmao: Now I get it - this is how they are sandbagging!

Cunning devils!!

ozrevhead
28th March 2009, 12:06

well thats just peachy isnt it :mad:

Sonic
28th March 2009, 12:17
Am I right in remembering Toyota getting chucked out of WRC for some dodgy turbos in the early 90's?

BDunnell
28th March 2009, 12:19
Am I right in remembering Toyota getting chucked out of WRC for some dodgy turbos in the early 90's?

Turbo restrictors, 1995. Don't think any connection can be made, to be honest.

Harm Kuijpers
28th March 2009, 12:21
Indeed, but the question is, are they able to do so anyway, or have the engineers built it into the software that they can't use it under 100 kph?

ioan
28th March 2009, 12:21
Turbo restrictors, 1995. Don't think any connection can be made, to be honest.

I agree.