PDA

View Full Version : It's a funny old F1 world

ArrowsFA1
28th March 2009, 09:36
For the last two years Lewis Hamilton has carried (almost) all before him in F1 and has (rightly IMHO) been seen as a major new talent.

For the last two years Jenson Button has had a torrid time at Honda and has (wrongly IMHO) been written off as a has (or never was) been.

For tomorrow's Australian GP Button sits at the front of the grid and Hamilton at the back.

:crazy:

F1boat
28th March 2009, 09:45
Nigel Mansell commented this and he said that Jenson always was good, while Lewis will learn that F1 can be tough when the car is bad. I agree with Nigel.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 09:54
For the last two years Lewis Hamilton has carried (almost) all before him in F1 and has (rightly IMHO) been seen as a major new talent.

For the last two years Jenson Button has had a torrid time at Honda and has (wrongly IMHO) been written off as a has (or never was) been.

For tomorrow's Australian GP Button sits at the front of the grid and Hamilton at the back.

:crazy:

......................and ant doesn't even get a drive. :(

F1boat
28th March 2009, 11:06
Valve, Bulgarian commentators said that next year there is a good chance that Ant will be driving, because he is a very little guy and this will help him with KERS.

RJL25
28th March 2009, 11:28
Well this will be interesting, Hamilton is good, but he has always had a good car at his disposal, I can't think of anyone else in recent history who has had such a blessed start to there F1 career and I think as a result he has been made to look better then others when that is not necessarily the case. I think Vettel, Kubica, Alonso, Raikonen, Button, Webber, Glock would all have been able to do just as well in their rookie and 2nd year had they had access to the same equipment as Hamilton, you could have argued that some of those guys would have actually won there rookie year.

This is not a Hamilton bashing post by any means, just stating fact that the ability of an F1 driver is not shown by how they handle a good car, but rather how they handle a bad car - witness Alonso last year!

F1boat
28th March 2009, 11:43
Well this will be interesting, Hamilton is good, but he has always had a good car at his disposal, I can't think of anyone else in recent history

JV.

ShiftingGears
28th March 2009, 11:58
Valve, Bulgarian commentators said that next year there is a good chance that Ant will be driving, because he is a very little guy and this will help him with KERS.

I call BS. Teams want fast drivers, not light ones. Ant isn't fast.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 12:00

You wait - you get bit by ant, you go fast!!

jens
28th March 2009, 12:12
Funny changes in F1 world yeah. The only thing we are missing is a Force India on pole position, but looking at the transformation of F1, who knows, maybe we will see it happening one day. :D

ioan
28th March 2009, 12:25

I agree.

RJL25
28th March 2009, 12:36
JV.

True that, but I think Hamilton is probably better then JV was.

Good personality though JV, I miss him

ArrowsFA1
29th March 2009, 06:25
This is not a Hamilton bashing post by any means, just stating fact that the ability of an F1 driver is not shown by how they handle a good car, but rather how they handle a bad car - witness Alonso last year!
True, and this year will be a big test for Hamilton.

F1boat
29th March 2009, 06:31

I dunno. We have to wait and see. Maybe he is better, more aggressive for sure.

ShiftingGears
29th March 2009, 06:40

I think Hamilton definitely has more talent than JV.

Garry Walker
29th March 2009, 09:10
......................and ant doesn't even get a drive. :(

That is really good news though

rickos
29th March 2009, 15:05

Both driving bad cars and occasionally getting podium. Iin general is (was) BAR >>> Mercedes MacLaren now ?

pettersolberg29
29th March 2009, 15:15
Who's JV?

DonJippo
29th March 2009, 15:27
Who's JV?

Son of GV.

markabilly
29th March 2009, 15:29
Unfortunately this is the problem of F1...it has become so very car and set up dependant where the driver makes little difference, whereas in the older days, one could see the talent even in a lousy car.

Now, the way the car is set up, can make one teammate look talented and the other not so talented, although those with the access to the data telementary and who really know how to read it, along with fine tuning the car set up, may have some insight that the rest of us do not have as mere fans as fans all we have, is seeing who seems to be fast and who does not....

pettersolberg29
29th March 2009, 15:38
Son of GV.

Thought so but I wondered why Villeneuve was being compared to Lewis - I'll just sit here in ignorance!!! ;)

markabilly
29th March 2009, 15:46
Well, JV jumped into a very dominant car and almost took a WDC away from Damon Hill, and pushed him as hard as Lewis pushed FA.
The next year JV was the WDC

Difference was the absence of fireworks and politics, stealing and emails and protest/investigations (even twice involving the two teamates at Monaco and then the long pitstop fiasco) and all the rest that went with LH's arrival.

RJL25
30th March 2009, 00:42
a champion drive in a rubbish car I thought from Lewis in Australia, unfortunately for him he is going to have a few more GP's like that before he gets back to the front, but good on him!

Zico
30th March 2009, 01:10
Maybe its not such a funny old world.. with a little luck, the advantage of KERS and a well driven race Hamilton has finished on the podium in an underperforming McLaren. I cant say I've ever seen Jenson pull out all the stops like Lewis did today and for some reason, sadly, have strong doubts as to Jensons prospects of a WDC this year.. but strangely I still wouldnt totally dismiss Hamiltons chances at this stage.,, nor indeed Kimi or Massa's.

Brawn win or loose the appeal.. the rest copy or Brawn have to redesign.. then Ferrari and McLaren will be back up there among the front runners.

Still think this is Buttons year?