PDA

View Full Version : Your F1 car rulebook

UltimateDanGTR
27th March 2009, 20:01
Following on from the Your Rulebook thread and the How fast COULD the cars go thread, I have decided to create this thread because I want to know what you would do to the car rules if you were in charge.

If I were in charge Id allow turbos, superchargers, Ground effects etc as well as alot of freedom of engine regulations, if a team wants to build a twin turbo V6 or normally aspirated V16 or a single turbo V12 then they can!

Id also allow 6 wheels and allow nose cones to go right down to the front wing like in the 80s. These would not be compulsory however.

Front wings would be as wide as the new rules make them, but be wider the other way as well (If that makes sense). Plus they would have to be a single piece of either flat horizontal or bent (up to 45 degrees) material.

sidepods to be closer to the front wheels and larger.

rear wings to be wide and low and simple.

axles to be covered. Rear axle covers part of a structure which goes behind the rear wheels. rear wing supported by this.

Whole car would probably be slightly wider and longer with longer wheelbase.

difuser to be as 'overtakingly-efficient' as possible.

What do you think ad what rules would you have?

Sonic
27th March 2009, 21:03
My cars would be the same dimensions as current cars but feature wider tyres front and rear (slicks obviously).

Front wings would be banned - save for decorative items for sponsors logos. Think super speedway CART wings from the late 90's.

Engines would be opened up but only normally aspirated. To maintain a reasonably level playing field small V6's or V8's would be allowed greater KERS capacity to keep up with the V12's, W12's or H16's :D

Most of the downforce of the cars would be generated under body with the rear wing designed to produce large drag profiles.

Oh and most of all I'd make sure the race numbers had to be painted like this big *holds arms wide* ;)

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2009, 07:05
H16? How does that work then :D

V12
28th March 2009, 08:17
H16? How does that work then :D

Two flat eights on top of each other, two separate crankshafts connected by a belt of some sort.

How did it work? Well for BRM not very well, it was heavy, there were complications in getting the two crankshafts in sync, and it only won one race, in the back of a Lotus driven by Jim Clark (who could win in pretty much anything anyway!)

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2009, 08:23
ah, just sounds needlessly complicated to me! Give me a V12 any day!

thanks for the info though

V12
28th March 2009, 08:23
For engines - I'd set a maximum capacity and be done with it, no faffing about with specifying a required layout or number of cylinders. I'd allow rotary engines and the like, and seriously think about allowing alternative power sources such as gas turbines, stuff like fuel cells in the future perhaps, if a reasonable equivalence formula could be come up with.

I'd stick the "KERS" name in the bin where it belongs, allow teams to run whatever hybrid technology they want unrestricted (none of this 6.7 seconds per lap bollocks).

I'd allow the cars to be as wide as they were pre-1998, and most importantly of all I wouldn't set the rules to define how a car "looks" - I'd set min/max overall dimensions and various safety provisions but other than that I'd allow designers to make the general shape of the car how they wanted it for overall performance. If they want enclosed wheels - fine. If they wan't an enclosed cockpit - fine (there are arguments both for and against this in the world of sportscars with Audi and Peugeot each going a different route, which would be great for variety).

My last idea is probably the most radical as it could drastically change the way an F1 car looks, but for me it should be about building the car that goes the quickest, not trying to retain a certain "look" or "image".