PDA

View Full Version : IRL TV coverage in Australia

AussieV8
26th March 2009, 23:55
Hi all,

Anyone know if the IRL will be televised in Australia this year?

There's nothing listed for the season opener on the Foxtel TV guide for ESPN. It would be rather pathetic if we get no coverage when Ryan Briscoe is in a top car and Will Power could be there as well.

RJL25
27th March 2009, 14:47
AussieV8 - the problem is that no one in Australia is really interested anymore, and now that there is no local round to be televised, the TV stations aren't really interested...

I was thinking that maybe the new OneHD channel may have picked it up, as far as I know they have the rights to show the Indy 500, no idea if they have any plans to show the rest of the series though.

I'd love to watch here in Australia to follow Bricky and Power but at the same time no TV network is going to pay the IRL to show the series to only a handfull of fans who still give a stuff about the series...

racer69
27th March 2009, 15:12
I'd read previously that the IRL had done a deal for ESPN International to show the IRL races this year around the world.....perhaps not now :(

RJL25
27th March 2009, 22:26
it's possible, its just that I cant find any information on whether or not they are showing it in Australia or not.

AussieV8
28th March 2009, 15:59
The IRL has *never* had a point scoring race in Australia and ran the only race it's ever run in this country last year. It's been televised on ESPN for the last few years and on Fox Sports before that since at least 1999 (didn't have Foxtel before that). I don't see how it could be any less popular now than it was back then.

millencolin
29th March 2009, 03:57
No one really cares anymore... No Indy, no interest. With a lot of the races on Versus this year, ESPN Australia wouldn't be able to broadcast it. FoxSports is focused on NASCAR, A1GP and MotoGp/WSBK, while One Hd is focused on Formula One.

We have top drivers in ALMS, but yet we still dont get coverage. It doesn't matter what drivers are in what teams, without Indy, who really gives a stuff?

RJL25
29th March 2009, 10:14
It'd be nice to be able to see Bricky and Power *hopefully* fight for the championship this year, but unless more people become interested then Foxtel and One HD won't really give a stuff...

ozrevhead
30th March 2009, 13:00
It'd be nice to be able to see Bricky and Power *hopefully* fight for the championship this year, but unless more people become interested then Foxtel and One HD won't really give a stuff...

pretty much and us who do care are screwed - is there somewhere online we can watch it?

racer69
31st March 2009, 04:01
Remember 5 of the IRL races this year (including the Indy500) are being screened on ABC/ESPN, it'd be safe to assume that ESPN Australia would be showing those races would it not?

AussieV8
31st March 2009, 06:37
I thought I remembered reading late last year around the time the Versus deal was announced that ESPN had the international rights.

Considering Foxtel show NASCAR races that are screened on ESPN in the US, I would say the local rights in America mean nothing when it comes to the international rights over here.

Lol, that would be typical of how things go. Probably find that Ryan Briscoe wins the Indy 500 this year and we don't even get to see it.

I'm not an IRL fan as such, but I have followed it along with Champ Car since the late 90's. Now that Champ Car folded and everyone left is under the IRL banner, I was looking foward to following a new unified series. So much for that.

millencolin
1st April 2009, 01:15
Well I just chekced ESPN Australia.... nothing, nada, zilch, zip, ZERO!

As I said, no Indy, no interest

SUBARUTEAM
1st April 2009, 01:38
I can't find any TV coverage on ESPN in New Zealand either - very strange?????

AussieV8
1st April 2009, 03:33
As I said, no Indy, no interest

The IRL has only ever visited Australia once (ie: last year) as a non points race. The IRL has never been to NZ at all (and neither has Champ Car). By your logic, nobody should have been interested prior to last year, yet we still got coverage.

ESPN in Australia and NZ appear to be the same channel. The ads on the channel for programs have both Sydney and Auckland times.

It shouldn't be too hard for a TV channel to promote the IRL with at least 2, possibly 3 drivers from Australia or NZ racing in the series. Combine this with the fact that Indycar has more road courses than Nascar and it should be a no-brainer.

Sure Marcos Ambrose was a V8 champion and would naturally carry support with him over to the NASCAR series, but Channel One are still showing the 2nd tier Nationwide series despite Ambrose stepping up to Sprint cup.

Don't get me wrong, I like following the Nascar cup series and I watch the whole season. I'm just annoyed at not being able to see the Indycars now that we have at least one, possibly 2 aussies with a genuine chance of doing well.

racer69
2nd April 2009, 05:13
Prior to 1991 Australia only ever saw the Indy500, so i presume we may just go back to those days (assuming ESPN Australia will show the 5 races that ESN America show), even though there were the likes of Geoff Brabham with full-time rides.

Mandiblard
2nd April 2009, 14:38
GAAH, this is a COMPLETE JOKE! I've just been looking for listings everywhere for the first IndyCar race and can not find it. Is this actually happening? We have two drivers in a top car and THIS is the year we stop getting Indycar coverage? My god I hate the Australian media, I demand to know the reason behind this, it is absolutely criminal. I was SO looking forward to it too. Yes, even waking up at strange hours, I don't care, I want to watch Will Power.

This *****. I'm almost crying here. I was SO EXCITED when it was announced Will Power was driving for Penske.

When worse comes to worse, what are we supposed to do? Huddle around a tiny laggy online stream of the race? Anyone got any ideas?

SUBARUTEAM
2nd April 2009, 21:58
I'm hoping its on in NZ too, but at this stage - I can't find any listings on espn or and of the other sport channels.

AussieV8
3rd April 2009, 00:39
GAAH, this is a COMPLETE JOKE!

IMHO this is an accurate statement for Australian TV.

AussieV8
4th April 2009, 09:50
Great news. Looks like it is being shown on ESPN. Hopefully the Kiwis get it as well!

From http://intltv.espn.com/

ESPN Australia-Motor Sports-IRL
Date Start Time End Time Description
04-06-2009 04:00 am 07:00 am St. Petersburg IndyCar
Description : IndyCar Series Racing
04-06-2009 10:30 pm 01:00 am St. Petersburg IndyCar
Description : IndyCar Series Racing

RJL25
4th April 2009, 15:11
Just checked Foxtel, and correct ESPN is showing it LIVE at 4am on Monday with a replay at 10.30pm.

So yeah if you have access to ESPN in Australia, I think most people can only get it through Foxtel, then you can watch the race.

I would have thought that perhaps that new ONE HD channel might have picked up the IRL considering I am fairly sure they have the free to air coverage of the 500, and they are looking for lots and lots of sport to fill up their air time (its a 100% dedicated sports channel for those who didn't know) but obviously they haven't gone with it for whatever reason (probably don't expect a big enough audience).

millencolin
5th April 2009, 03:59
I'll give it a go... Although i dont really care for the IRL, I have been a Power follower for years. But the Indycar/champcar season just isnt building the same excitement as it has in previous years, due to the lack of indy.

I can't say the same for tonights Malaysian Gp though... 7pm people on ONE!!! Webdawg 5th on the grid... wooo!

Mandiblard
5th April 2009, 16:26
:eek: OH MY GOD YES! Thank god I read this thread, ESPN does indeed have the race listed to start in 2 and a half hours. Can't wait, i'm gonna stay up! :D

millencolin
6th April 2009, 07:05
the one thing i was afraid of, with it being ESPN.. was that those god awful commentators from alst years would be covering it for 'espn international'... thank god we got the VS broadcasr

AussieV8
6th April 2009, 13:58
I thought the coverage overall was much better than the "international" ESPN feed we got last year. Just a pity we couldn't get the Versus ad breaks with the continuing coverage, but with local ads super-imposed over the top. Can't really complain though. Just happy we have the coverage!

Well done to Briscoe as well...

SUBARUTEAM
7th April 2009, 03:40
Briscoe is the man to beat this year - he looked great. I was still pulling for dixon but Will Power ended his day in the pits. Mind you, if Dixon had qualified better, it wouldn't have happened.

Overall, the TV coverage was very good. what an exciting season we have coming up.

Once they get fast cars in 2010/2011 and lose some of the slow ride buyers, this series will be every bit as good as F1

nigelred5
7th April 2009, 04:12
Well I just chekced ESPN Australia.... nothing, nada, zilch, zip, ZERO!

As I said, no "surfers paradise", no interest

I kept reading this thread wondering what the heck you guys were talking about "no indy".. DUHH! ;)

I guess that was part of the problem just like in Toronto, the "INDY" really hadn't had any INDY in a long time.

So is there any interest building in the A1gp version?

millencolin
7th April 2009, 13:11
I kept reading this thread wondering what the heck you guys were talking about "no indy".. DUHH! ;)

I guess that was part of the problem just like in Toronto, the "INDY" really hadn't had any INDY in a long time.

So is there any interest building in the A1gp version?

Some words have differnt meanings in different countries... In australia, Indy means the surfers race, not the Indianapolis 500. The a1 race offically may not be known as indy, but to the general public, it will be

AussieV8
8th April 2009, 06:06
Some words have differnt meanings in different countries... In australia, Indy means the surfers race, not the Indianapolis 500. The a1 race offically may not be known as indy, but to the general public, it will be

I've always called the surfers race "Surfers" and the Indianapolis 500 "Indy". Maybe I'm just different...

As far as this year's event goes, I'll probably watch it simply because I like the event, but I don't find A1GP particularly interesting. I really don't think it will last very long without the Indycars, but I could be wrong.

I think these days F1 is the pinnacle of open wheel racing worldwide, but Indycar is still a step above everything else. A1GP really struggles to emerge from the shadows of other open wheel series with wannabe or has-been drivers.

ozrevhead
8th April 2009, 09:57
I've always called the surfers race "Surfers" and the Indianapolis 500 "Indy". Maybe I'm just different...

As far as this year's event goes, I'll probably watch it simply because I like the event, but I don't find A1GP particularly interesting. I really don't think it will last very long without the Indycars, but I could be wrong.

I think these days F1 is the pinnacle of open wheel racing worldwide, but Indycar is still a step above everything else. A1GP really struggles to emerge from the shadows of other open wheel series with wannabe or has-been drivers.
then we are both different becaue Indy as always been the Indianapolis 500 and 'Surfers' as the Surfers Paradise race to me. Anway I didnt think ESPN Aus would show it so I can watch it next time :s mokin:

Eveyones going on how RHR or Wilson will be the farytale but they seem to forget about Ryan having to move teams/catigories almost every year - can anyone remember apart from Penske, Ryan being in a team for more than a year? I cant :s

dataman1
8th April 2009, 15:59
I'm curious. Did ESPN use the Versus talent (Bob Jenkins and group) or their own people?

racer69
9th April 2009, 03:52
ESPN International took the Versus coverage, Bob Jenkins and all

the one thing i was afraid of, with it being ESPN.. was that those god awful commentators from alst years would be covering it for 'espn international'... thank god we got the VS broadcasr

To be fair to Gary Lee & Larry Rice, they didn't always have alot to work with. They both certainly knew their stuff

AussieV8
9th April 2009, 05:33
I actually didn't mind Gary Lee and Larry Rice. The biggest problem with the international feed was they used those guys for the commentary in the booth, but they tried to cut to the local pit reporters, often not very successfully.

With the Versus coverage, it's far better since it's the same feed as the pit reporters. This way they actually talk with the pit reporters and ask them questions rather than just cutting to them half way through a sentence.

peasant
9th April 2009, 21:45
Couldn't stand rice and lee, They'd state absolutely teams would do one thing, then literally 30 seconds later be stating how obvious it was that they would now be doing the exact opposite. Drove me nuts.