PDA

View Full Version : BTCC Star Drivers Without a seat.....

Nick
26th March 2009, 16:15
Thompson, Plato, Jackson, Onslow-Cole & Kane are all out of a seat - with only two obvious seats available with two teams (Arena & Tempus) who have not looked overly competiive in preseason tests...... do you think any of the chaps will find a drive.....

LiamM
26th March 2009, 16:20
Thompson has been confirmed in the DTCC

AndySpeed
26th March 2009, 17:58
It's ironic that some of the best loved and/or most controversial characters are gone for this year's season.

The championship is worse off without them.

BDunnell
26th March 2009, 20:29
It is indeed a pity that such drivers can't get a seat in the BTCC, but it's often the way. What's a particular pity is that the list includes one of the very best young touring car drivers of the moment in Jackson. It goes to prove again that personal sponsorship rarely seems to favour the absolute best young talents.

tdb
26th March 2009, 22:06
I think every driver registered this year is a star! they've paid there money and turned up to give us the champioship we all love!

Yes some will be missed, but such is life!
let's all enjoy what we have.

LiamM
26th March 2009, 23:55
I think every driver registered this year is a star! they've paid there money and turned up to give us the champioship we all love!

Yes some will be missed, but such is life!
let's all enjoy what we have.

I agree tbh, it appears that the recession has cut the wheat from the chaff and what we are left with is 20 odd good drivers, although people like Jackson and Plato would be missed (I'm not going to say I miss the The OC or Kane just yet, I believe they need a few more years in the BTCC - Kane more so - before they become someone special)

AndyRAC
27th March 2009, 07:48
Well considering what some may say, the BTCC is getting good coverage - all 3 races Live on ITV4, and a preview in the current EVO magazine. Other Motorsport series would give their right hand for that type of coverage.

71minus2
27th March 2009, 14:43
When one controversial character leaves then it allows for another to emerge. Lets hope that it doesn't turn into a F1 characterless series.

Bezza
30th March 2009, 11:51
It is a joke that Plato, Thompson and younger stars such as Jackson and Kane are not involved. Yet, Tom frigging Chilton gets by with his dads money alone, it really angers me as he is not a driver worth his drive.

AndyRAC
30th March 2009, 13:53
It is a joke that Plato, Thompson and younger stars such as Jackson and Kane are not involved. Yet, Tom frigging Chilton gets by with his dads money alone, it really angers me as he is not a driver worth his drive.

And there you have modern Motorsport - doesn't make it right, but in these 'credit crunch' times somebody with money can almost take his pick. And teams who have a shortfall in cash ar only too happy to take it.

Dangermouse
30th March 2009, 17:25
...somebody with money can almost take his pick. And teams who have a shortfall in cash ar only too happy to take it.

Team Dynamics without Halfords sponsorship signing Dave Pinkney is a case in point.

I'll really miss Mat Jackson this year because he was a young & talented racer who took a gamble to enter the BTCC using his family business in the hope he would get a works drive. Unfortunately, it hasn't paid off at the moment.

However, I'm please to see that Jonny Adams has finally got a drive he's been after for years. Lets hope after being overlooked by Seat in the past. He can prove he is up to the job.

I'm intrigued to know where Plato will pop up next!

tdb
30th March 2009, 19:19
Team Dynamics without Halfords sponsorship signing Dave Pinkney is a case in point.

Pinkney signing for dynamics had nothing at all to do with the loss of halfords sponsorship!
Dynamics' drivers have always brought funding to the team.

LiamM
30th March 2009, 20:01
I'm intrigued to know where Plato will pop up next!

Fifth Gear most likely

ATF
3rd April 2009, 08:11
What is Steven Kane up to this year?

vx1054
3rd April 2009, 11:26
What is Steven Kane up to this year?

Looks like Steven Kane is helping test for Formula 2 at the moment,

http://www.formulatwo.com/news/williams-jph1-development-(2).aspx

Alfa Fan
3rd April 2009, 11:42
He's been doing that all winter. I don't think he intended to be doing just that this year.

PDS
3rd April 2009, 12:29
He's been doing that all winter. I don't think he intended to be doing just that this year.

Steven Kane is the official Test and Development Driver for the F2 Championship....

Although a proper and important job, Steve is hoping to mix this with racing something this year.

bt52b
3rd April 2009, 15:59
There are more than few Clio or Cupra Cup drivers who should be in there too, as should Eoin Murray.

Allyc85
4th April 2009, 10:26
What is Eoin Murray doing these days?

CroftPilgrim
4th April 2009, 16:27
And there you have modern Motorsport - doesn't make it right, but in these 'credit crunch' times somebody with money can almost take his pick. And teams who have a shortfall in cash ar only too happy to take it.

It's not just modern motorsport. It's always been that way. It's an expensive "hobby" so you've got to have money if you want to compete.

And for those who make a career out of it, they have to find a shed load of money too and if they're lucky, they might get one of the very few paid drives....

woody2goody
20th April 2009, 00:23
Shame that Jackson is out of a drive as he was very good last season. What's he up to this season then?

Alfa Fan
20th April 2009, 02:55
Nothing.