PDA

View Full Version : "Three new teams" for 2010

christophulus
25th March 2009, 23:02
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7957788.stm

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed there will be at three new teams joining Formula 1 next season.

The F1 supremo said 26 cars will be on the starting grid for the 2010 campaign and that a medals-system will determine the championship.

Assuming of course that no one leaves this season? Great news if it's true though!

N. Jones
25th March 2009, 23:17
Well, one of them is the Windsor/Anderson USGPF1 or whatever they are called now.

Does this mean that David Richards is still in the mix?

Valve Bounce
26th March 2009, 00:33
And this is the car Dave Richards intends to enter: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/king-david/lightburn-zeta-1964-1.jpg

Viridian Black
26th March 2009, 01:22
And this is the car Dave Richards intends to enter: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eta-1964-1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/king-david/lightburn-zeta-1964-1.jpg)
haha. still will be faster than Honda's last entry.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/king-david/lightburn-zeta-1964-1.jpg

N. Jones
26th March 2009, 01:48
And this is the car Dave Richards intends to enter: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/king-david/lightburn-zeta-1964-1.jpg

:laugh:

Placid
26th March 2009, 03:35
Would Stoddart-Minardi gets another shot at F1?

ioan
26th March 2009, 06:53
That's only going to happen in Bernie's wet dreams.
F1 should be happy if they get another team and don't lose any of those on board.

Dave B
26th March 2009, 07:38
Windsor's Windbags aside, no other teams have publicly declared any interest in entering next year. I've got a strange feeling that this is just Bernie trying to talk up his series to deflect from the inevitable rumours of financial hardship.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see 26 cars on the grid, but part of me thinks that the other two new teams will simply be management buyouts of Renault and Toyota.

Knock-on
26th March 2009, 08:56
BS. I'll be surprised if Windbag makes it, let alone anyone else.

I am evil Homer
26th March 2009, 09:04
It entirely depends on your definition of 'new'.....a re-badged Renault/Toyota would be new, an oft-rumoured second string Mac team would be new. I;m sure Bernie thinks Brawn is 'new' to make them cough up the fees rather than take the 'Honda' slot.

CNR
26th March 2009, 09:09
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7957788.stm

Assuming of course that no one leaves this season? Great news if it's true though!

take out car 13 car 18 and car 19

The FIA has revised the Formula 1 entry list once again after Force India pushed to get its old race numbers back.
Motor racing's governing body had issued a revised entry list last week because of Brawn GP becoming a new team, and designated Force India with Honda Racing's old 18 and 19 numbers, and Brawn GP getting 20 and 21.
However, Force India wanted to get its former 20 and 21 numbers back because all its pre-season promotional material and merchandise had been based around them.
With Brawn GP not objecting to sacrificing those numbers, Force India now has 20/21, while Brawn GP will get 22 and 23. There will be no car numbers 18 and 19.

20 Adrian SUTIL (D) FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM FORCE INDIA MERCEDES
21 Giancarlo FISICHELLA (I) FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM FORCE INDIA MERCEDES

22 Jenson BUTTON (GB) BRAWN GP FORMULA ONE TEAM BRAWN MERCEDES
23 Rubens BARRICHELLO (BR) BRAWN GP FORMULA ONE TEAM BRAWN MERCEDES

Dave B
26th March 2009, 09:26
Think about this: the FIA suggest $30M budget caps with increased technical freedom. Barely a fortnight later Bernie says three new teams have suddenly shown an interest. The FIA can now say "see, it was a good idea".

Even if it isn't.

Storm
26th March 2009, 09:49
We could have a McLaren B team or some privateer entry...also could VW finally be coming to F1? Hard to believe but then Bernie is saying this with a lot of confidence.

ioan
26th March 2009, 10:36
We could have a McLaren B team or some privateer entry...also could VW finally be coming to F1? Hard to believe but then Bernie is saying this with a lot of confidence.

Storm you should never believe what escapes Bernie's mouth.

Knock-on
26th March 2009, 10:37
Hard to believe but then Bernie is saying this with a lot of confidence.

Don't forget that Bernie was confident of getting his Medal scheme in as all the teams were behind it :laugh:

Q: How do you know when Bernie or Max are Bullsh*tting?

A: Their lips move.

Sonic
26th March 2009, 11:07
Don't forget that Bernie was confident of getting his Medal scheme in as all the teams were behind it :laugh:

Q: How do you know when Bernie or Max are Bullsh*tting?

A: Their lips move.

Its funny coz its true! :dozey:

Seriously Bernie where do you dream this sh*t up?? IMO we'll be very lucky if we still have the current teams on the grid next year. If Toyota don't start winning soon they'll be gone, and Brawn are gonna need some serious funds to get past their first season.

AndyRAC
26th March 2009, 11:28
Why do people listen to him? Take everything he says with a pinch of salt.
Why the media take so much notice of him really surprises me. I'd like to see the media ignore him.

ChrisS
26th March 2009, 11:45
Think about this: the FIA suggest $30M budget caps with increased technical freedom. Barely a fortnight later Bernie says three new teams have suddenly shown an interest. The FIA can now say "see, it was a good idea".

Even if it isn't.

I agree. plus he is getting ready for the next round against FOTA for the 2010 rules and he is covering his own ass.

If FOTA manage to overturn the budget caps rule and no teams join in 2010 Bernie will turn back and say "I had 3 teams lined up ready to join but because of FOTA, F1 doesnt have any new teams"

jens
26th March 2009, 11:52
Life has taught not to trust Bernie's words. I'll believe in 26-car-grid, when I see it. ;)

BTCC2
26th March 2009, 12:28
Wont happen, at least not as soon as 2010.

Garry Walker
26th March 2009, 15:52
Storm you should never believe what escapes Bernie's mouth.

I would rather trust a politician than Bernie and that says it all.

UltimateDanGTR
26th March 2009, 16:42
Life has taught not to trust Bernie's words. I'll believe in 26-car-grid, when I see it. ;)

Same here, just another pointless comment from Mr. E-short. Seriously, You have now idea how much I would like to smash Bernie-the-T**ts stupid little face in with a hammer :s mash: or set him on fire :hot: or blow him up :grenade:

emporer_k
26th March 2009, 18:24
Whatever happened to limiting the series to 12 teams ?

A 26 car grid would be nice but I cant see 3 brand new teams all turning up at once when you consider how many brand new teams, (rather than just renamed versions of old teams) that have arrived over the last 10-15 years.

UltimateDanGTR
26th March 2009, 19:08
Since 96, I can think of only 3 brand new teams:

Toyota
Super Aguri
Stewart

So another 3 are just going to come along at once? doubling that 'brand new' team figure, yer, right.......

And if USF1 do come into existance, expect it to be mismanaged and pathetic and rushed, and the team will be a disaster, both on the track and financially, like BAR in 1999

Sonic
26th March 2009, 20:21

Toyota
Super Aguri
Stewart

Lola?

AndyRAC
26th March 2009, 20:38
Lola?

Does that count? 1 race wasn't it?

Sleeper
26th March 2009, 20:43
You missed BAR either way.

Easy Drifter
26th March 2009, 21:26
Does anyone really expect USGPE or whatever it is called this week to be on the grid next year if ever?
They do not have an operational web site yet and as far as I have seen or heard there has been a dead silence since the ballyhooed Speed announcement.
Is their head office still the local Starbucks?
Almost 2 months have gone by and no word on a shop or any hirings. Maybe they are just being quiet but there do not appear to be any rumours.
Has Speed said anything? :confused:

Rollo
26th March 2009, 21:41
Ultimately none are going to come into existance once they see the treatment that Brawn got.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090325074629.shtml

Bernie Ecclestone exercised his veto.
Brawn is therefore missing about 22 million (euro) of its projected 2009 budget, in a state of affairs that could date back to a news item in February.
"It was a very good offer for everybody concerned. It gave them complete protection but they wanted to do things on their own. Now all we can do is hope and pray," Ecclestone added.

As a businessman, if it costs someone else €22m for no damn good reason to save an existing team, I'm certainly not going to front up new capital for a new team. I don't know where one new team is going to come from let alone three.

Sonic
26th March 2009, 21:49
You missed BAR either way.

I think we were thinking of completely new teams. Not one that bought another team for their place on the grid. And yes Lola counts! :p :

Rollo
26th March 2009, 22:06
Should we count Toyota twice?

They paid $48m and had to forfeit it because the rules changed and they weren't ready.

CNR
27th March 2009, 12:25
Would Stoddart-Minardi gets another shot at F1?

on the ten news Stoddart will be in the running for one of the new teams but it will be Team Australia if he gets it

UltimateDanGTR
27th March 2009, 16:53
team australia? hmmmm, possibly USF1, team australia and Force India, I see alot of very nationalistic teams in this formula if they all come about. But isnt that what A1GP is for?

Although an australian team would be very heartwarming to see, if they were called team australia it would seem to me a bit too A1GP-ish. I would get Telstra sponsorship and call the team TelstraF1, national company, basically a national team, but not a national name, because thats just too A1GP-ish.

V12
27th March 2009, 17:10
New teams in recent times

1994: Simtek, Pacific
1995: Forti
1996: ---
1997: (Prost), Stewart, Lola*,
1998: ---
1999: (BAR)
2000: (Jaguar)
2001:
2002: (Renault), Toyota
2003:
2004:
2005: (Red Bull)
2006: (Honda), (BMW), (Midland), (Toro Rosso), Super Aguri
2007: (Spyker)
2008: (Force India)
2009: (Brawn)

Teams in brackets are reincarnations of existing teams, while Lola is given an "honourary" star for erm.... only being able to show up at one race before folding :p :

So overwhelmingly any "new" names team-wise in F1 have mostly been recycled existing teams, I know BAR was technically a new setup that bought only Tyrrell's FOCA membership and not a lot else, but we still lost Tyrrell as a result so IMO they never counted as a "new" team, conversely if that Postlethwaite-Honda thing hadn't been canned I'd have considered them a new outfit even if it was largely formed from the spine of the old Tyrrell team.

And there's a big argument for saying that Super Aguri would have found it a lot harder to get going in 2006 if Arrows hadn't folded 4 years previous, but I've put them in as a new team anyway since there was no direct continuation from Arrows to SA.

So that leaves Simtek (gone within a year and a half), Pacific (gone within two years), Forti (gone within a year and a half), Stewart and Toyota. Only the latter two are still with us, with only Toyota still operating under their original guise.

V12
27th March 2009, 17:13
team australia? hmmmm, possibly USF1, team australia and Force India, I see alot of very nationalistic teams in this formula if they all come about. But isnt that what A1GP is for?

Although an australian team would be very heartwarming to see, if they were called team australia it would seem to me a bit too A1GP-ish. I would get Telstra sponsorship and call the team TelstraF1, national company, basically a national team, but not a national name, because thats just too A1GP-ish.

I agree - by all means emblazon it with the Aussie flag or Aussie green and yellow like the CC/IRL cars, by all means have a nationalistic driver policy, but I don't agree with naming teams after countries, just seems cheesy. I still haven't got used to "Force India" TBH...

UltimateDanGTR
27th March 2009, 17:44
yes two things I dont like F1 teams to be:

1. teams named after countries
2. Be a 'B' team (like Toro Rosso, but I wouldnt mind if they had a totally unrelated to red bull cool name like Scuderia InterForza or something like that)

veeten
27th March 2009, 17:51

Just goes to show how some are not too aquainted with the history of F1.

From it's restart post-WWII, Nationalism was the very part of the sport, with cars painted the colour representations of what were National Colours; Italy-Red, Germany-Silver, GB-Green, France-Lt. Blue, Japan-White, US- White/w Blue Stripe, and so on.

The only reasoin that changed was when Lotus went with the sponso5r's colours of Players Gold Leaf (Red, White and Gold accents) rather than national colours in '68 that the trend was starting.

UltimateDanGTR
27th March 2009, 18:09
I know nationalistic pride is important. I respect that, Its a good thing. ferrari is very nationalistic, so is Toyota, Super Aguri was etc, And Im not at all against it, in fact Im for it,

I just dont like the idea of an F1 team named after a country :)

V12
28th March 2009, 08:12
Just goes to show how some are not too aquainted with the history of F1.

From it's restart post-WWII, Nationalism was the very part of the sport, with cars painted the colour representations of what were National Colours; Italy-Red, Germany-Silver, GB-Green, France-Lt. Blue, Japan-White, US- White/w Blue Stripe, and so on.

The only reasoin that changed was when Lotus went with the sponso5r's colours of Players Gold Leaf (Red, White and Gold accents) rather than national colours in '68 that the trend was starting.

I don't see the point here - yes national team colours and whathaveyou are great and part of the history of the sport, but imagine Ferrari or Maserati being called "Team Italy", Lotus being called "Great Britain F1", or Mercedes being called "Germany Racing" etc. Doesn't quite have the same ring does it?

I guess the closest thing we had was BRM (British Racing Motors), but at least that was abbreviated and at the end of the day sounded "right".

N. Jones
28th March 2009, 11:31

Toyota
Super Aguri
Stewart

So another 3 are just going to come along at once? doubling that 'brand new' team figure, yer, right.......

And if USF1 do come into existance, expect it to be mismanaged and pathetic and rushed, and the team will be a disaster, both on the track and financially, like BAR in 1999

Hmm... While I don't have inside information I am guessing, from what Windsor & Anderson have said, that they are going to move carefully and not overstep their bounds. I don't expect them to be challenging for points early on but I think they will work like any team - five years of growing pains followed by success (points, not podiums). What will really determine their success will be which people and/or sponsors (when they sign some) can endure that five year stretch without walking away.

Ranger
28th March 2009, 12:13
on the ten news Stoddart will be in the running for one of the new teams but it will be Team Australia if he gets it

Does it have to be Stoddart? There had to be someone better around here that could do the job...

VkmSpouge
28th March 2009, 15:17
I certainly hope we can have three new teams in F1 for 2010 but I'm not holding my breath.