PDA

View Full Version : E85 at Adelaide V8 Supercars

Rollo
22nd March 2009, 23:34
I think that we saw in practical terms why this experiment should be stopped and as quickly as possible. In terms of mileage, E85 was significantly worse that regular Unleaded petrol (undoubtedly due to the lower calorific content of the fuel) which resulted in using up about 20-30% more fuel than last year.

I did however appreciate the distinct smell of burnt molasses out the back of the cars. The whole race weekend reminded me of a trip I'd made to the Isle of Skye when I visited the Talisker distillery.

Other than that, it's business as normal up the top with 888 and HRT still trading blows (though Whincup never looked in danger of losing the top peg at all).

SportscarBruce
23rd March 2009, 00:11
I think that we saw in practical terms why this experiment should be stopped and as quickly as possible. In terms of mileage, E85 was significantly worse that regular Unleaded petrol (undoubtedly due to the lower calorific content of the fuel) which resulted in using up about 20-30% more fuel than last year.

I did however appreciate the distinct smell of burnt molasses out the back of the cars. The whole race weekend reminded me of a trip I'd made to the Isle of Skye when I visited the Talisker distillery.

Other than that, it's business as normal up the top with 888 and HRT still trading blows (though Whincup never looked in danger of losing the top peg at all).

Here in the states 105 octane E85 sells for around $1.80 a gallon, and you can get it 24/7 down at the automatic pumps. OTOH a 55 gallon drum of VP 109 unleaded will set you back $570, or $10.36 a gallon.

Plus, compared to a 6 or 4 cyl running a turbo and variable vave timing the thermal efficiency of large displacement V8s that make power through static compression and overlap scavenging isn't that hot. So there goes some of that energy right out the tailpipe. But it does produce nice flames :)

DevilsAdvocate
23rd March 2009, 07:37
I enjoyed watching the first race of the V8's this year. However i've been unable to get hold of Race 2 and 3 :(

racer69
23rd March 2009, 08:49
I enjoyed watching the first race of the V8's this year. However i've been unable to get hold of Race 2 and 3 :(

You'll never get hold of race 3, only 2 races were run :)

RJL25
25th March 2009, 08:58
Big Ticks from the weekend:

- Whincup, proved once and for all in my mind that he is the best driver in the championship. So consistant, such a good overtaker, so clean, and faaarking fast

- Will Davison - showed up his new HRT team mate, was the only bloke who could hold a candle to Whincup in the second race, all while admiting that he was still coming to terms with the car which is completely different to his old DJR car

- Paul Dumbrell - where did he come from? All of a sudden he is matching the HRT boys for times, unfairly taken out of the first race by courtney, his team stuffed up his pitstop in the second, otherwise was on for a podium in both races, again, where did he come from?

- Lee Holdworth - give the man a top car and he WILL win the championship, mark my words!

Big Crosses

- Qualifying - what the hell? Cam McConville comes from last to seventh or whatever it was, easily the best performance of the day outside of the winner obviously, so good work mate, now go back to last for the next race!?!! how is that fair??? As Cam himself said, surely the best racer should win the championship, not the best qualifyer...

- James Courtney - what the hell man... hit the turn 8 wall over and over again, then in the WARM-UP of all things after hitting the turn 8 wall, decides NOT to come in and check the car out and instead on the next lap stuffs his car into the wall when (surprise surprise) the rear suspension broke from the damage it suffered hitting the wall the lap before! Then has the nerve to come on TV and say "yeah something in the car broke... looks like the boys have some work to do" MATE THE CAR BROKE BECAUSE YOU HIT THE WALL AND BROKE IT!!!

This after he turned dumbrell around in race 1 and wasn't fit enough to put up with the heat and had to stop. Yes his cool suit failed but so did Rick Kelly's, Alex Davison's and a few others, even Russel Ingall's cool suit failed and hes about 60 years old (slight exageration) and he still finnished the race! I wouldn't be so harsh normally because heat stroke IS a harsh thing to contract BUT look at the guy... he looks like he has EASILY put on 10 kilo's in the off season.. for a professional race car driver thats not good enough and no wonder he couldn't hack it... I feel sorry for his team because they gave him a great car that was fast enough to win

I am evil Homer
25th March 2009, 09:01
Whincup is sublime....his maturity over the last few seasons, esp with Lowndes as a team mate has been superb.

Holdsworth - wow, just wow that car wouldn't even be Top 10 in my eyes it's purely down to his driving. Nice to see Dumbrell back...always liked the guy.

RJL25
25th March 2009, 10:13
yeah Homer I'm with you regarding Dumbrell, call it some strange Aussie supporting the underdog thing but I have always had a big smile on my face whenever it looked like PD looked like getting a good result because he definetly has the talent but for some reason has never been able to make good use of it... certainly while at Perkins he was never given equal equipment with his team mate (most of the time he wasn't even given a fair dinkum engineer from what I've heard) and PWR was just an absolute basket case when he got there, but now he has his chance I really hope he makes the most of it as well.

I really like his attitude too, he has said that if it doesn't happen for him this year then thats it, game over, he will retire. This is a bloke who is only 26! Basically he isn't going to be one of these blokes who makes a career of just trundling around the mid pack collecting a pay check, he either proves this year that he can win races or at least show that he has the potential to win races, otherwise he is going to do something else with his life... you can't help but respect that!!

Rollo
25th March 2009, 12:11
I didn't even realise this but it appears that there's been a bit of a brouhaha over 888's pig badge on the front of their... Hogster

http://www.geocities.com/rollo75/pigwin.jpg

Jason Bright had the Blue Oval blacked out on his car at the weekend as well.

Has FoMoCo got egg on their face now? (to go with 888's bacon?)

RJL25
25th March 2009, 22:54
I loved Tanders quote in the sunday post race press conference:

"I think we proved today that we are the fastest Holden team out there, there isn't any Ford's in front of us either... just a couple of pigs!"

Ford hasn't said anything about the "Hogster" logo which for those who don't know is the logo for a chain of steak houses in Australia called Hogs Breath Cafe, but some of the Ford fans have been a bit sooky about it, but then a lot of 888 fans have said good on ya!

DJR are apparently thinking of replacing the Ford badge with their own DJR logo.