PDA

View Full Version : Toronto sales looking good.

downtowndeco
21st March 2009, 15:23
Whether they removed or just moved a grandstand or two it sounds like the promoter is happy with the way things are going so far. To pick this race up, which has been in a freefall the last five years, in the worst economic climate in 50 years and still have a decent buzz is encouraging. Glass half full. : )

"Andretti Green Promotions co-owner Michael Andretti says he's impressed with the early buzz ahead of this summer's Honda Indy Toronto.

The race, which was added to Andretti Green's event promotions business unit last year, is scheduled for July 12 as part of the 17-race IndyCar Series schedule.

"Toronto is going quite well," Andretti said on a conference call Wednesday. "The ticket sales up there and also the corporate involvements are quite high. So things are really chugging along up there, so we're excited about that."

Andretti didn't have specific numbers but said he's encouraged given the tough economic times that have gripped the continent. The Toronto race had been squeezed out of the schedule last year when Champ Car and IndyCar unified."

SarahFan
21st March 2009, 15:42
Whether they removed or just moved a grandstand or two it sounds like the promoter is happy with the way things are going so far. To pick this race up, which has been in a freefall the last five years, in the worst economic climate in 50 years and still have a decent buzz is encouraging. Glass half full. : )

"Andretti Green Promotions co-owner Michael Andretti says he's impressed with the early buzz ahead of this summer's Honda Indy Toronto.

The race, which was added to Andretti Green's event promotions business unit last year, is scheduled for July 12 as part of the 17-race IndyCar Series schedule.

"Toronto is going quite well," Andretti said on a conference call Wednesday. "The ticket sales up there and also the corporate involvements are quite high. So things are really chugging along up there, so we're excited about that."

Andretti didn't have specific numbers but said he's encouraged given the tough economic times that have gripped the continent. The Toronto race had been squeezed out of the schedule last year when Champ Car and IndyCar unified."

sounds a bit like forsythe and KK from years past...

if you would like a link to a thread where long term attendees are discussions there frustrations just ask

SportscarBruce
21st March 2009, 21:43

dd, you are to immediately empty out that glass of optimism and refill it with vinegar.

;)

SarahFan
21st March 2009, 22:00
or at the very least take the source into a little bit of consideration

SportscarBruce
21st March 2009, 22:06
Ken, there is a big difference between pre-race statements of optimism and post-race exaggerations of actual turnout.

SarahFan
21st March 2009, 22:15
Ken, there is a big difference between pre-race statements of optimism and post-race exaggerations of actual turnout.

Agreed........

But the thread title is far from supported by a couple canned quotes from the promoter

Would like a link to a thread where fans who have attended the events for over a decade are discusssiong 30% less erected grandstands ...... Poor customer service from the AGR folks .... And concern over promtion

??

You can call it whatever you like...... Vinegar etc..... But reality is reality .... And quotes from prompters are just that.... Quotes from prompters

downtowndeco
21st March 2009, 23:20
Long Beach is looking good as well;

"Despite the sagging economy, ticket sales are running 10 percent over last year, a pleasant surprise for Michaelian.

"Obviously we have a ways to go before the race, and in this economic climate you can never be assured what the final results will be," he said.

The merger of Champ Car and the Indy Racing League has bolstered additional interest in this year's Grand Prix, which will be showcasing stars of both series, including Danica Patrick, Scott Dickson, Graham Rahal, Marco Andretti and Dario Franchitti.

"It provides us with the opportunity to have some real racing stars come and perform in Long Beach, and I think that's one of the reasons why our fans seem to be so excited about the upcoming event," Michaelian said."

SportscarBruce
22nd March 2009, 00:53
Long Beach is looking good as well;

"Despite the sagging economy, ticket sales are running 10 percent over last year, a pleasant surprise for Michaelian.

"Obviously we have a ways to go before the race, and in this economic climate you can never be assured what the final results will be," he said.

The merger of Champ Car and the Indy Racing League has bolstered additional interest in this year's Grand Prix, which will be showcasing stars of both series, including Danica Patrick, Scott Dickson, Graham Rahal, Marco Andretti and Dario Franchitti.

"It provides us with the opportunity to have some real racing stars come and perform in Long Beach, and I think that's one of the reasons why our fans seem to be so excited about the upcoming event," Michaelian said."

Oh boy, now you've done it. ;)

downtowndeco
22nd March 2009, 01:38
No kidding. : ). God forbid someone post any positive or optimistic news about the IRL here.

Cheers.

Oh boy, now you've done it. ;)

Wilf
22nd March 2009, 01:54
No kidding. : ). God forbid someone post any positive or optimistic news about the IRL here.

Cheers.
Are you really tall with metal contacts extending out of your skull?? You seem to draw a lot of lightning.

Dr. Krogshöj
22nd March 2009, 12:21

It's funny how TK is always ommited from such "biggest star" lists...

Rex Monaco
22nd March 2009, 15:02
God forbid someone post any positive or optimistic news about the IRL here.

Actually what surpised me so far about your posts in this thread, is that you are finally making positive posts about street races. That's a complete 180 from you.

In light of your new found optimism towards street races, does this mean that you now think street races can be run successfully and that you now beleive that there is a chance that a promoter could indeed attempt to add street races in the future?

SarahFan
22nd March 2009, 15:40
PHOENIX (July 1, 2007) - Tickets are now on sale for the inaugural Grand Prix Arizona. Tickets are available at Ticketmaster.com; all Ticketmaster retail outlets and Ticketmaster charge by phone at 1-480-784-4444.

The three-day festival of speed and entertainment to be held November 30 - December 2, 2007 will feature the season-ending race in the Champ Car World Series, Champ Car Atlantic, a Pro-Celebrity race, Formula Drift and a Historic Grand Prix race. The December 2 Champ Car World Series race will feature open-wheel cars reaching speeds of up to 180 miles per hour around a 2.087-mile, 16-turn temporary street course through the heart of downtown Phoenix encompassing US Airways Arena, Chase Field and the Warehouse District.

In addition to the on-track activity, Grand Prix Arizona will be the first major motorsports event to go "green" and include a "green" expo by Earthshift '07; the event schedule will also include a free street party featuring concerts with superstar acts. More details will be released on the star-studded line-ups for these events and separate tickets will be available for purchase.

"Our advance ticket sales have been very strong," said Grand Prix Arizona President and Chief Executive Officer Jim Freudenberg. "From the initial feedback, we anticipate strong public ticket sales as well," he said.

Ticketing options that are available include:

Pit Lane VIP Club

An incredible view of all of the pit lane action is yours in this fabulous trackside suite. Individual tickets are available for $950 which includes a three- day ticket, paddock access, food and beverages and valet parking. If you purchase a group of 10 or more tickets, you receive a discount price of $850 per ticket.

Reserved Grandstand Seats

$99---Two-day reserved seating with a three-day admission ticket (Friday is unreserved seating) which includes paddock access on all three days.

$40--Saturday only reserved seat includes paddock access.

$75--Sunday only reserved seat includes paddock access.

Trackside viewing and paddock access (no seat)

$20--Saturday only

$30-Sunday only

$40--Saturday and Sunday

Family Fun Pack

$100-Sunday only four tickets to the Family Grandstand in Turn 4 and free admission to the Family Fun Zone.

About Grand Prix Arizona

Grand Prix Arizona will be an action-packed, three-day festival of speed held in downtown Phoenix featuring major rock concerts, a "green" Expo by Earthshift '07, a Taste of Phoenix and a free street party. The three-day event, November 30 - December 2, 2007, is projected to attract more than 150,000 spectators. It will be highlighted by the internationally televised Grand Prix Arizona Champ Car World Series race featuring top competitors; including 2006 series champion Sebastien Bourdais, Bruno Junqueira, Paul Tracy and others. Race teams include Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, owned by legendary actor and auto racing icon Paul Newman. Past series champions include Al Unser, Jr. (1990 and 1994), Michael Andretti (1991), Bobby Rahal (1992), Jimmy Vasser (1996), Tracy (2003) and Bourdais (2004, 2005 and 2006). For information regarding Grand Prix Arizona, please visit www.grand (http://www.grand)

Dr. Krogshöj
22nd March 2009, 23:01
PHOENIX (July 1, 2007) - Tickets are now on sale for the inaugural Grand Prix Arizona. Tickets are available at Ticketmaster.com; all Ticketmaster retail outlets and Ticketmaster charge by phone at 1-480-784-4444.

The three-day festival of speed and entertainment to be held November 30 - December 2, 2007 will feature the season-ending race in the Champ Car World Series, Champ Car Atlantic, a Pro-Celebrity race, Formula Drift and a Historic Grand Prix race. The December 2 Champ Car World Series race will feature open-wheel cars reaching speeds of up to 180 miles per hour around a 2.087-mile, 16-turn temporary street course through the heart of downtown Phoenix encompassing US Airways Arena, Chase Field and the Warehouse District.

In addition to the on-track activity, Grand Prix Arizona will be the first major motorsports event to go "green" and include a "green" expo by Earthshift '07; the event schedule will also include a free street party featuring concerts with superstar acts. More details will be released on the star-studded line-ups for these events and separate tickets will be available for purchase.

"Our advance ticket sales have been very strong," said Grand Prix Arizona President and Chief Executive Officer Jim Freudenberg. "From the initial feedback, we anticipate strong public ticket sales as well," he said.

Ticketing options that are available include:

Pit Lane VIP Club

An incredible view of all of the pit lane action is yours in this fabulous trackside suite. Individual tickets are available for $950 which includes a three- day ticket, paddock access, food and beverages and valet parking. If you purchase a group of 10 or more tickets, you receive a discount price of $850 per ticket.

Reserved Grandstand Seats

$99---Two-day reserved seating with a three-day admission ticket (Friday is unreserved seating) which includes paddock access on all three days.

$40--Saturday only reserved seat includes paddock access.

$75--Sunday only reserved seat includes paddock access.

Trackside viewing and paddock access (no seat)

$20--Saturday only

$30-Sunday only

$40--Saturday and Sunday

Family Fun Pack

$100-Sunday only four tickets to the Family Grandstand in Turn 4 and free admission to the Family Fun Zone.

About Grand Prix Arizona

Grand Prix Arizona will be an action-packed, three-day festival of speed held in downtown Phoenix featuring major rock concerts, a "green" Expo by Earthshift '07, a Taste of Phoenix and a free street party. The three-day event, November 30 - December 2, 2007, is projected to attract more than 150,000 spectators. It will be highlighted by the internationally televised Grand Prix Arizona Champ Car World Series race featuring top competitors; including 2006 series champion Sebastien Bourdais, Bruno Junqueira, Paul Tracy and others. Race teams include Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, owned by legendary actor and auto racing icon Paul Newman. Past series champions include Al Unser, Jr. (1990 and 1994), Michael Andretti (1991), Bobby Rahal (1992), Jimmy Vasser (1996), Tracy (2003) and Bourdais (2004, 2005 and 2006). For information regarding Grand Prix Arizona, please visit www.grand (http://www.grand)

Just because the race was cancelled it doesn't mean people were not buying tickets.

SarahFan
22nd March 2009, 23:16
Just because the race was cancelled it doesn't mean people were not buying tickets.

Ok

and attedance was on the rise at Fontana and Michigan and right now more than 1 company is bidding on the series sponsorship and the irl is just trying decide which one fits better with male 18-25 domographic

SportscarBruce
22nd March 2009, 23:45
Actually what surpised me so far about your posts in this thread, is that you are finally making positive posts about street races. That's a complete 180 from you.

In light of your new found optimism towards street races, does this mean that you now think street races can be run successfully and that you now beleive that there is a chance that a promoter could indeed attempt to add street races in the future?

DD didn't answer, and I'm not about to do it for him, but I do recall a somewhat different outlook towards street races just as was the case with CC fans devaluing oval races.

Guess what Perhaps with the split in the past DD has found it possible to judge such things on the merits rather than series politics. Just a few days ago while stating the car are sorely in need of an update a CC fan mentioned the IndyCar schedule as a positive.

Putting the past in the past is a vital precursor for enjoying the present. But I digress.

Rex Monaco
23rd March 2009, 19:46
Putting the past in the past is a vital precursor for enjoying the present. But I digress.

I can't directly comment on anything that you said.

But hypothetically, if a person in another forum were to change their position from a negative one to a positive one in the last 30 days, then one might conclude that it was not based on the unification that took place over 365 days ago.

And again hypothetically, if a person from another forum changed their position to a positive one at almost the exact moment that another person in that forum posted a negative view on the same subject, one might conclude that the positive position was taken in order to be contrary and did not actually signal a position change.

This is all hypothetical of course, and it has no relation to any participant in this thread, their relatives or their employees.

Mark in Oshawa
24th March 2009, 05:29
They are selling more tickets in Toronto? We shall see. I haven't seen one ad on local TV or one newspaper ad for the race yet. I imagine they have a few people buying, we missed having the race around last summer. It is a summertime ritual really.

That said, hearing the promotor say everything is well is like believing in the tooth fairy. You may find money under your pillow and not question it, but one must not investigate too much sometimes. Mikey could very well be in the black on this one.

What bothers me, and I said this on the street racing thread is they are not using the local volunteer groups that do all the nuts and bolts work on the race. At least, no one has talked to anyone here with that. Now I am seeing that.....and I wonder, is the Andretti Green group arrogant? Short sighted or willing to PAY for what they likely could have had for the price of a few hundred t-shirts and a lot of pizza?

Easy Drifter
24th March 2009, 07:22
Having sort of started the bit about not contacting CASC I looked further. From the BARC website they do not appear to have been contacted to supply people. I get the CRCA info (I am the mail drop for my ex who is a life member) and I checked the Motorsport Marshalling Group web site.These are the 2 marshalling groups in Ont. and members are licenced thru CASC. Nobody seems to have been contracted or even formally contacted.
The Honda Indy Toronto web site has an ad for limited number of volunteers. No details.
Hamilton fiasco anyone? See the thread on that one.
I know many of the club people and know they would help but this is not the way to do it. Contact the clubs or go through CASC-OR.
Just getting volunteers through a general ad and you will get people wth no experience and no one the co-ordinate things.
Cheese off the clubs and you lose a lot of trained people and goodwill.
The travelling safety crews cannot man all the corners as just one example.
There is still time to do it but it is fast running out.
Mark is right. Toronto bails out on weekends. I live where many of them come to. The population of Waubaushene, where our store, was triples on a summer weekend. Many of those who work races have summer places they go when not at races. People also book holidays months in advance. Most people cannot just tell their boss 'oh I am going to a race this Fri.' a week in advance.