PDA

View Full Version : Another laptop-guys story for Pentti.

A.F.F.
11th February 2007, 20:44
I don't know how many of you fellow Finns saw it but saturday evening, Marcus was interviewed on MTV3 and he said the usual stuff, car was fine etc.

However, there was a clip in YLE, where Marcus drove in to service and was mad as hell and demended that they should lift the rideheight of the car because the front spoiler threw all the snow on the window over the bonnet. Well, the laptop guys said that no, it's fine the way it is. And Marcus yelled that **** no it isn't. Obviously Marcus didn't notice there was a camera near by. Marcus used VERY strong language, rated-R if I ahve to describe it :D

I just couldn't help but thinking all those threads Pentti has started. If the driver drives the stage and makes a quite clear observation that the car is too low, how can those engineers claim otherwise ??? :laugh: Unbelieveble.

janneppi
11th February 2007, 20:47
Obviously this cost him the win. :D

Erki
11th February 2007, 20:54
Any video material on this one? :)

Tomi
11th February 2007, 21:12
i did see it, he was quite mad

A.F.F.
11th February 2007, 21:16
Obviously this cost him the win. :D

It just hit me. Janneppi, are you a laptopguy in any mean ?? ;)

Erki
11th February 2007, 21:25
I'm actually typing this one here on a laptop. :p :

Tomi
11th February 2007, 21:42
Any video material on this one? :)

http://www.yle.fi/urheilu/mediasali/video/id65736_rm.html

A.F.F.
11th February 2007, 22:07
Hmmm. that was cleaner version what I saw :confused:

janneppi
11th February 2007, 22:16
It just hit me. Janneppi, are you a laptopguy in any mean ?? ;)
Ask me again next week. ;)

It's to be noted that the video said mechanics did indeed raise the front end as requested.
I understood that was from the first day when he was second on the stage and the was lot of loose snow on the roads and both team and Marcus failed to take it into account.
http://www.rally-live.com/wrc/photos/2007/suede/diapo_120.jpg
but perhaps the problems also behind the steeringwheel? :p :

SubaruNorway
11th February 2007, 22:33
was that all then you should see Petter sometimes

pentti
12th February 2007, 21:35
Sorry A.F.F. that I have not responded quicker.Just got back from Jordan where two arabs tryied to kill me.But that's another story. Yes, it's incredible how engineers are not open minded any more. Ego? Even world champion in heaven's sake has to sit in new C4 uncomfortuble position. Everything that Xsara was superiour to others have now taken away in C4. Pedals,switches,spare wheel location. Result.He has to do a lot of flicks to get the car to turn.No more train driving!
There was big article how to drive and set ups by Cris Atkinson in latest Autosport mag. Only Autosport would interview an australian about snow driving! I hope he does not drive the way,it was in the article.
It was crazy to see these big tapes on wind sceen to help about sun.What happened to old sun visors? Too cheap? Too high? What about yellow glasses? Only Loeb and J-M were using them. Already 1950's skiers were using them and still.

Tomi
12th February 2007, 21:39
Moi Pena, pitääkö paikkansa että Jordanian jortsut on paremmat bileet kun Kaanaan häät? :)

bennizw
12th February 2007, 21:45
I'd like to hear more about that story where those two Arabs tried to kill you :p :

pentti
12th February 2007, 22:27
Moi Pena, pitääkö paikkansa että Jordanian jortsut on paremmat bileet kun Kaanaan häät? :) What parties! There was not at least for me.

Tomi
12th February 2007, 22:29
What parties! There was not at least for me.
for some reason i dont belive you :)

J4MIE
13th February 2007, 00:47
There is always a pert if Pentti is around ;)

GigiGalliNo1
13th February 2007, 05:44
you do know that when Marcus was interviewed after a SS in Sweden by WRC Radio he said "Loeb wants to win.... he's f%ucking fast! Ahhhh!"

:D

FAL
13th February 2007, 13:29
Someone on another thread is asking about rally biographies.
When are we going to see Pentti's autobiograhy, including all the great stories from him on this forum?

DonJippo
13th February 2007, 14:42
Someone on another thread is asking about rally biographies.
When are we going to see Pentti's autobiograhy, including all the great stories from him on this forum?

Only after he finds a publisher willing to face all the lawsuits... ;)

JAM
13th February 2007, 14:52
Yes, it's incredible how engineers are not open minded any more. Ego? Even world champion in heaven's sake has to sit in new C4 uncomfortuble position. Everything that Xsara was superiour to others have now taken away in C4. Pedals,switches,spare wheel location. Result.He has to do a lot of flicks to get the car to turn.No more train driving!

Totally agree :up:

pentti
13th February 2007, 14:55
Only after he finds a publisher willing to face all the lawsuits... ;)
Excactly plus brave enough writer! I am actually trying find somebody who is funny.

Helstar
13th February 2007, 15:36
you do know that when Marcus was interviewed after a SS in Sweden by WRC Radio he said "Loeb wants to win.... he's f%ucking fast! Ahhhh!"
:D
Nope, he said "... fu***ng hell ! But I don't give up !" :)

We're all waiting for the two arabs story Pentti =)

J4MIE
13th February 2007, 20:47
I thought you said you had arranged your biography Pentti? Or did he change his mind after hearing some of your stories? ;)

HaCo
13th February 2007, 21:44
It's always easy to bag on engineers. When everything goes well, than it's a perfect driver and when the car doesn't go how it is supposed to go it's the engineer.

Don't forget that engineers actually build the car, if you count the time they work on a car, it is a lot longer than the drivers are in it. That the Xsara was called a tank is not because Loeb is a tankdriver, no, because citroen's engineer build a tank.

Both should listen to eachother, driver and engineer and both of course should talk... That's my point of view.

Engineers deserve respect, laptops were allready used from the 80's and since then software and experience from drivers and engineers are used to build the best cars in the world.

Is it obious that I studied electronics? :D

GruppoB
14th February 2007, 05:48
Pentti wed like to here your story about Jordan. Good friend of mine is in Iraq he has many similar stories.

bt52b
14th February 2007, 17:56
I just couldn't help but thinking all those threads Pentti has started.
Shame that all that good stuff (in many forums) was deleted :vader:

Gabriel

Magnus
14th February 2007, 18:17
Yes, it is a shame, but on the other hand we can have the discussions all over again - and that isn´t totally wrong is it?

I agree with HaCo about the engineering part of rallying, car dynamics and handling is a extremely complicated business! Another important part however is the dialogue between the drivers and the engineers, if the drivers lacks fundamental understanding of how a car behaves, and why, the development of the car may be somewhat hindered. Loeb has this understanding, as does Bosse, and not least Schumacher, if you forgive me for mentioning him. Kenneth Eriksson is another splendid car-developer.

HaCo
14th February 2007, 18:25
Freddy Loix is (was) too! :D

pentti
22nd February 2007, 00:34
Pentti wed like to here your story about Jordan. Good friend of mine is in Iraq he has many similar stories.Ok. Here it goes. These Group N drivers with their Mitsu Evo 6's had envited to me to help in Jordan. I exlpained in phone that we need to have slow corners with a lot on run off to learn limits and go over it. They choose increple dangerous roads for no marget of errour at all. It took another day to me to find the suitable roads. My choice of roads were very good to learn but they wewre also very technical. My customers did not like that because I was driving better than them and they got tyred. It seems that they did not want loose face.A) I was quicker in their own cars and they did not want admit + they were get tyred.So they wanted to go to this special stage to practise more. So we were now in the start of one of theyr famous stages. He was speeding his engine at the start line and at the same time desperantly knacking this prayer wheel(wher are 33 knackers to send message to Allah,you are the best.) This point I asked "Surely the road is closed" His answer was not,but don't worry, Allah is with us. I looked aroud and said same time stopping engine."Newsflash.Only two of us here and very soon just you when I opened seat belts and jumped out. Next he went flat out into the distance and I coud see he was not braking over the crest doing well over 100 miles/hour. Two minutes later this Hyanday bus came over crest!!!
I am not hurry to go there again. Are you?

ST205GT4
22nd February 2007, 02:26
Bugger me. What a lunatic.

jparker
22nd February 2007, 03:00
Pentti, are you sure you didn't participate in the beginning of new wave of terror in the Middle East?
Group N cars of mass destruction :)

Wasted Talent
22nd February 2007, 23:34
I thought it was a story about Pentti and Jordan !!!!!!

......more material for the autobiography.......

WT

pentti
22nd February 2007, 23:36
I thought it was a story about Pentti and Jordan !!!!!!

......more material for the autobiography.......

WTThat Jordan is another story.

GruppoB
23rd February 2007, 00:31
Crazy stuff hahahaha. I can see it now.

Then again my friend has been blown up and shot. He gets to reside in the beautiful city of Fallujah. All free of charge!

pentti
23rd February 2007, 02:20
Crazy stuff hahahaha. I can see it now.

Then again my friend has been blown up and shot. He gets to reside in the beautiful city of Fallujah. All free of charge!I am sorry.

Leon
23rd February 2007, 06:53
For Pentti,

amazing, hilareous stories!!!

Please reserve 3 copies for me when your decide to write your autobiography!

we met at Autosport show (marketing seminar or something) in january 2000.

MikeD
23rd February 2007, 18:07
Ok. Here it goes. These Group N drivers with their Mitsu Evo 6's had envited to me to help in Jordan. I exlpained in phone that we need to have slow corners with a lot on run off to learn limits and go over it. They choose increple dangerous roads for no marget of errour at all. It took another day to me to find the suitable roads. My choice of roads were very good to learn but they wewre also very technical. My customers did not like that because I was driving better than them and they got tyred. It seems that they did not want loose face.A) I was quicker in their own cars and they did not want admit + they were get tyred.So they wanted to go to this special stage to practise more. So we were now in the start of one of theyr famous stages. He was speeding his engine at the start line and at the same time desperantly knacking this prayer wheel(wher are 33 knackers to send message to Allah,you are the best.) This point I asked "Surely the road is closed" His answer was not,but don't worry, Allah is with us. I looked aroud and said same time stopping engine."Newsflash.Only two of us here and very soon just you when I opened seat belts and jumped out. Next he went flat out into the distance and I coud see he was not braking over the crest doing well over 100 miles/hour. Two minutes later this Hyanday bus came over crest!!!
I am not hurry to go there again. Are you?

I have also experienced so many "too-close-too-call" experiences in the arab world (non rally related). I just got feed up with their mentality, and I am so done with traveling in that part of the world.

sagsert
23rd February 2007, 19:07
Pentti,

You want humour ? I'll write your biography. Hell we can have 2 versions, one Rated R one Rated PG13. I only have one condition, you have to come to US and be a part of at least one California Rally Series After Rally Party. After all David Sutton survived one, you can definately be the PartyMaster.

I have about 30 photos from that party, even looking at them gives me a headache.

As far as laptopers are concerned, I believe there are 2 kinds of them, those who work with the driver and those who work with the car. The first ones are the good ones, the second ones are the ones who believe we are out there to destroy the car they built and that we don't know our buttholes from a hole in the ground. They try to mold us into their ideal and when we give them our input they thik we are undermining them and get all defensive.

Glee
24th February 2007, 01:10
Here you can see som other driving from that area of the world:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYgi26C419M

One reason to this driving are the philosophy that your desteny are desided, and nothing you can do can do anything with that. So wether you drive saftely or not wil not involve your chances to become old.