PDA

View Full Version : Your Rule Book

cynisca
18th March 2009, 20:47
Between 2000 and 2009 there were a lot of rule changes by the FIA to make the Formula One better, better for the fans. In 2003 there were the most rule changes after the dominance of Ferrari. But were all these rule changes good or bad for the Formula One or the fans? So you think you can it better?! :p Which would you change? Which rules? What would you do better? What would you introduce of rules to make the Formula One better?

Mine would be:

Qualifying:
Just one hour and the drivers can drive as many laps as they wish, like in the MotoGP.

Start:
I would prefer an Indy Start, or flying start like in the IndyCar Series, because it is more safety than a standing start.

Points System:
I would prefer a points system for the first 15 drivers.

Chassis/Engine:
Every team can buy a chassis and engine from others to make the costs cheaper.

Constructors’ World Championship:
I would bring on a Team World Championship instead of a Constructors World Championship.

Team:
The teams can paint their cars like they want. The teams can start with more than 2 cars but at least one car per team of course. :p

Warm-Up:
F@cking hell. Bring it back, the warm-up in Sunday’s morning. :p

Nations’ World Championship:
In addition to the Drivers’ World Championship and Constructors’ World Championship, I would introduce a Nations’ World Championship.

71minus2
18th March 2009, 21:29
Qualifying:
2x20 mins with half the field (1 car from each team in each session)

Start:
Keep as it is

Race:
Introduce mandatory pit window around half distance.
If the race is put under a safety car, the restart is determined by a green light and not the race leader this way its kept close.

All finishers score points 125 75 50 25 22 20 18 16 14 12 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Added points for Fastest Lap - 5pts
Added points for laps led - 5 pts

Chassis / Engine:
Keep as it is but have stricter tolerances.

Team:
Cars should remain uniform but can have difference sponsors / liveries for each event.

Agreed, bring back Sunday warm up.

jjanicke
19th March 2009, 00:03
Qualifying:
I like the current format, but let's remove the fuel restriction in Q3.

Start:
Nothing beats a standing start

Race:
Ristrictions, why. Pit as many times as you want, change as many tires as you want, use as much fuel as you want.

Restarts:
I like 71minus2 idea of green flag restarts, with a twist. Driver must keep speed below Xmph until the green flag/light. speed could easily be tracked with the current technology. You get 1 jump start. Jump start twice and move to the back of the field. Jump start brings out yellow for another restart lap.

Lucky Dog rule:
1st car one lap down get's the lap back when a caution comes out. This would make racing for positions, even deep in the field very important.

Every positions pays point. Most points is WDC.
Only the top placed cars points from each team counts towards the WCC.

Chassis/Engine:
allow customer cars and engines, but there must be at least x manufactures. (3?) (to avoid the IRL and Champcar-like consolidation issues)

call_me_andrew
19th March 2009, 03:12
Qualifying: Seed the field based on practice speeds into 4 groups with 5 cars in each group. Each group will have 10 minutes to run as many laps as they want. The groups will be go on track in order of slowest to fastest. No more "race fuel" restrictions.

Restarts: I too prefer keeping it under control of the green lights.

jjanicke
19th March 2009, 04:45
... The groups will be go on track in order of slowest to fastest. ...

Does that mean slowest up front, fastest in back?

call_me_andrew
20th March 2009, 02:20
No, it means the slowest group will have their 10 minute qualifying session first. This way the groups become progressively faster.

jjanicke
20th March 2009, 15:14
No, it means the slowest group will have their 10 minute qualifying session first. This way the groups become progressively faster.

That would certainly make the last 10min of the final practice very interesting as drivers would be vying to get into the fastest possible group to ensure a chance at a good grid sport.

emporer_k
20th March 2009, 16:36
Qualifying:
Like it is now but get rid of the second session and go straight to the top ten.

Restarts:
I like the idea of having restarts controlled by a green light.

UltimateDanGTR
20th March 2009, 18:22
Right then, my F1 rule Book:

FIA Formula 1 World Championship Rule Book:

Qualifying:

Pre Qualifying: 16 Single Driver Team entries have one hour on the friday to set as many laps as they wish. Fastest 12 qualify for qualifying
Qualifying: 32 Drivers have one hour to set 12 laps on the saturday. all drivers qualify for the race

Race:
32 cars in race.

Points system:

World Drivers Championship and World Teams Championship:
25-15-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1.5-1-0.5 for first 12 drivers
4 points for Highest number of places climbed from grid position
4 points for Most ontrack overtakes
2 points for fastest lap
1 point for Pole position

World Privateers Championship:
10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 for best 8 placed privateers.
2 points for fastest privateer lap
2 points for best privateer grid position

Points scored in the WPC do not count towards the WDC

Championship:
World drivers Championship-Positions determined by number of points scored, all drivers eligible

World Teams Championship-Positions determined by number of points scored, all teams eligible

World Privateers Championship-Positions determined by number of points scored in Privateer Championship Score system, only 16 privateer entries eligible

Teams:
10 teams, 'constructor' teams have 2 cars on the grid
16 teams, 'Privateer' teams have 1 car on the grid

Chassis:
customer chassis allowed for privateer teams, but teams cannot work together beyond that and have to become self supportive, thus ruling out 'B team' entries

Constructor teams must build their own chassis

Privateer teams can buy a special 'FIA generic chassis' which is cheaper than building their own chassis, with this chassis being no better than any constructor chassis. As much development work on this chassis by the team as they like is allowed.

2008 Rules about front wings and rear wings applied

Engines:
FIA to employ one engine supplier for any privateer team to use a standard V8 Hydrogen engine from, however this standard engine is not compulsory, but is the cheapest option.

Hydrogen to be used as fuel, teams can have either a V12, V10 or V8 engine

Pit lane:
Pit lane open at all times unless an extreme case like a blcokage of the pit lane etc

Safety car:
Safety Cars liver to be nation of that Grand Prix's flag

Season:
Season to last 20 races. no nation to host more than 1 grand prix.

'Perfect season' would be as follows:

Australia
Malaysia
Abu Dhabi
India
Spain (valencia street circuit)
France and Monaco (Monte Carlo)
Canada
USA
Great Britain
Germany (Nurburgring)
Russia
Turkey
Italy
Belgium
Argentina (San Luis)
Singapore
Korea
Japan
China
Brazil

TV coverage:
The Chain to be made compulsory to use as the intro for all TV station brodcasts of F1 round the world.

jjanicke
21st March 2009, 00:20
UltimateDanGTR although perhaps better looking why go back to the 2008 spec wings? The whole reason behind the change is to make the cars less aerodynamically susceptible to the car ahead. If the 2009 spec works, why mess with it?

I'd much rather have ugly cars with great on track passing, then better looking cars with no/little on track passing.

ShiftingGears
21st March 2009, 01:11
More proper circuits, for one. Adding more chicanes to any circuit that has been on the calendar more than 15 years gets increasingly bland.

UltimateDanGTR
21st March 2009, 07:48
UltimateDanGTR although perhaps better looking why go back to the 2008 spec wings? The whole reason behind the change is to make the cars less aerodynamically susceptible to the car ahead. If the 2009 spec works, why mess with it?

I'd much rather have ugly cars with great on track passing, then better looking cars with no/little on track passing.

Fair point, maybe some boffins can work out a wing with both passing ability and beauty? :) Id like to see that......

although we'll see if these new wings really do increase the excitement of F1 first, and if we dont see much difference then why not have 2008 spec? If I see a difference this season ill be all for them, if not ill be a bit annoyed... :)

maximilian
21st March 2009, 12:47
I would ban refueling. It's gimmicky and often destroys the flow of the race. I don't know how many times I watched a race where there was a pretty good dice going on between 2, 3, 4 or more drivers, or where one of the backmarkers was doing alright, running further up at the front, ...only to have the whole interesting situation destroyed by the pit stops, after which suddenly everyone running far apart in the all-too-common processions, and/or the backmarker reappears in 14th place for whatever reason, never to be seen again.

I don't see any drama in changing positions in the pits, I find it annoying (notwithstanding that in certain super-boring seasons of the past, that was the ONLY drama we seemed to get, as on-track passing was nowhere to be seen). It's more interesting to see how a team and driver would budget their fuel throughout the race... make a quick sprint at the start, then conserve at the end? Or take a conservative approach in the beginning, and then roll up the field from the back when every one else is worried about running out, and nursing the car to the checkered flag? THAT's drama!

Not to mention the whole pit stop situation mess, should a safety car come out... some pitted before, some during (and possibly get penalized, ugh!), some after... this has nothing to do with racing. I also get no joy out of trying to guess who's on what pit strategy. I want to see cars racing and competing with each other on the track, not in some imaginary timetable in my head.

Change tires if you like, but I always hated refueling. Not to mention, it would reduce costs by getting rid of all that equipment, and ultimately be safer for the pit crews.

jjanicke
21st March 2009, 16:53
Fair point, maybe some boffins can work out a wing with both passing ability and beauty? :) Id like to see that......

although we'll see if these new wings really do increase the excitement of F1 first, and if we dont see much difference then why not have 2008 spec? If I see a difference this season ill be all for them, if not ill be a bit annoyed... :)

Agreed!

I would ban refueling. It's gimmicky and often destroys the flow of the race. I don't know how many times I watched a race where there was a pretty good dice going on between 2, 3, 4 or more drivers, or where one of the backmarkers was doing alright, running further up at the front, ...only to have the whole interesting situation destroyed by the pit stops, after which suddenly everyone running far apart in the all-too-common processions, and/or the backmarker reappears in 14th place for whatever reason, never to be seen again.

I don't see any drama in changing positions in the pits, I find it annoying (notwithstanding that in certain super-boring seasons of the past, that was the ONLY drama we seemed to get, as on-track passing was nowhere to be seen). It's more interesting to see how a team and driver would budget their fuel throughout the race... make a quick sprint at the start, then conserve at the end? Or take a conservative approach in the beginning, and then roll up the field from the back when every one else is worried about running out, and nursing the car to the checkered flag? THAT's drama!

Not to mention the whole pit stop situation mess, should a safety car come out... some pitted before, some during (and possibly get penalized, ugh!), some after... this has nothing to do with racing. I also get no joy out of trying to guess who's on what pit strategy. I want to see cars racing and competing with each other on the track, not in some imaginary timetable in my head.

Change tires if you like, but I always hated refueling. Not to mention, it would reduce costs by getting rid of all that equipment, and ultimately be safer for the pit crews.

I think a no refueling rule could be good. Start the car with all the fuel you need. No top offs. The old no tire change ban was retarded, and at first I thought the same of the proposed fuel ban, but I think it could be very interesting. With weight being relatively consistent across the field during the entire race, tire strategy becomes a much bigger play. Does a longer stint, slower tire, hold an advantage over a short stint, faster tire that degrades faster too. Could be very interesting and take the confusion of multiple variables (weight and tire wear) out of the equation.

Rodriguez 917
21st March 2009, 18:15
I'm not sure about anyone else but the 1 lap qualifying format we had a few years ago I think worked well. It showed each drivers lap, and how their car was behaving. The current system makes you miss potential great laps.

I'm fairly ok about the rest of the current format except they should bring back morning warm up. They need to give value for money for the fans. When I was at Spa in 2002, the warm up was at about 10am, then straight after a 30 minute Porsche Supercup race then about 3 or 4 hours of nothing till the race!

Car wise we need get rid of the engine freeze, or if they insist on a freeze on the engines make them V12's not V8's so we can at least enjoy the sound of F1 cars again!

jjanicke
21st March 2009, 19:14
I'm not sure about anyone else but the 1 lap qualifying format we had a few years ago I think worked well. It showed each drivers lap, and how their car was behaving. The current system makes you miss potential great laps.

I'm fairly ok about the rest of the current format except they should bring back morning warm up. They need to give value for money for the fans. When I was at Spa in 2002, the warm up was at about 10am, then straight after a 30 minute Porsche Supercup race then about 3 or 4 hours of nothing till the race!

Car wise we need get rid of the engine freeze, or if they insist on a freeze on the engines make them V12's not V8's so we can at least enjoy the sound of F1 cars again!

I liked the one-car-at-a-time method as well. Just get rid of the Q2 race fuel rule.

It gives the slower teams a chance to lay a fast lap and get good Q2 position because they had access to a rubber-ed in track during Q1. The weather issues kind of s*cked, but certainly made the races interesting. Perhaps you could institute a "dry only" qualifying rule, where Q1 and Q2 are red flagged when the track is wet.

Tallgeese
21st March 2009, 20:16
Qualifying:
Three session (#1, #2, #3) running at 30 minutes each. Best time (of the three) is recorded & is counted as pole position. For example, if the Fastest qualifying lap was set in the second session then he gets the pole.

Start:
As it is, (no changes).

Points System:
I say go back to the top-six
10-6-4-3-2-1

Extras:
1point for a FL
1point for a Pole :S

:( I don't know, I can't make up my mind on that.

Chassis/Engine:
F1 rules state that a constructor must design+build everything with the exception of the engine+transmission (& KERS now) which is how it should be. I would allow a constructor to use a one-year old chassis so long as they commit to becoming fully fledged constructors.

Furthermore, they may not use the same engine as the 'seller' they buy from (for instance, Super-Aguri would have had to use a non-Honda powerplant). Red Bull/Toro Rosso represent a unique case of one owner fielding two teams, but I say that is possible AS LONG AS they use different engines.

Furthermore, to cut costs, I would say that an engine must last the two whole race weekends & even three, but reckon that a 3000cc V10 rev-limited to 15,000 is needed to improve reliability. The 2400cc V8 at 18,000 is too fragile. To improve reliability, I would allow composite ceramic technologies to utilised in F1 engines.

Warm-Up:
Whatever.

Nations’ World Championship:
Nuts! Keep it a constructor battle.

call_me_andrew
21st March 2009, 21:46
I would ban refueling. It's gimmicky and often destroys the flow of the race.

How is refueling gimmicky? We're talking about racing cars. Cars that can only carry a finite amount of fuel. Logically they should need to aquire more from an external source to complete the distance of the race.

Though this does give me ideas for a few more rules.

Pit stops: One pit stall and crew per car. Replace pressure fed fuel rigs with gravity fed fuel rigs. Mandate pneumatic jacks. Limit number of crew members servicing each car to 10 (not including designated firefighter and lolipop man).

maximilian
22nd March 2009, 01:01
How is refueling gimmicky? We're talking about racing cars. Cars that can only carry a finite amount of fuel. Logically they should need to aquire more from an external source to complete the distance of the race.

'xuse me, but until the mid-80's or so, F1 cars had NO trouble making it through a race without refueling, and in my opinion it made for a lot more interesting racing. And it may also encourage more fuel efficiency as a side effect that could be labelled "environmentally progressive" as a marketing scam making F1 appear more "green" :D

jjanicke
22nd March 2009, 03:42
'xuse me, but until the mid-80's or so, F1 cars had NO trouble making it through a race without refueling, and in my opinion it made for a lot more interesting racing. And it may also encourage more fuel efficiency as a side effect that could be labelled "environmentally progressive" as a marketing scam making F1 appear more "green" :D

For sure it would. Just position the rules so that weight limits are set on dry weight. Subsequently cars the consume less fuel will be lighter than cars that gulp.

The trick is to have the best lb/hp ratio.

DazzlaF1
22nd March 2009, 23:51
OK, here goes

ENTRY
Award 16 franchises to guarantee 32 entries

QUALIFYING (split into 3 sessions)
Friday session: All 32 cars get 2 hours on the track to set a quick time.
Saturday 1st session: All times reset, the bottom 16 from Friday fight it out for positions 17 to 26 on the grid in a traditional 60 minute session, 6 slowest cars fail to qualify
Saturday 2nd session: All times reset, the top 16 from Friday fight it out for positions 1 to 16 on the grid in a traditional 60 minute session

START
Keep it the same, nothing better than a standing start

CHASSIS/ENGINE
Introduce a privateers championship for teams that enter with customer chassis and limit teams to 20 engines per season (10 per driver)

CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS
Award points to the top 8 but using the system suggested by FOTA last week
12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1, also include 1 point for pole, 1 point for fastest lap and 1 point for leading the most laps
use the same method for privateers championship not including the bonuses

SEASON CALENDAR
Set it at 20 but "lock in" certain "classic" events like Monaco, Britain, Belgium and Italy

RESTARTS
Keep it the same but id prevent races to be finished under safety car conditions which is where id introduce a NASCAR style green/white/chequered finish

WARM-UP
Bring it back, teams are not allowed to use their race engines though

...oh and before all of this is implemented, a P45 should be delivered to a Mr Bernard Charles Ecclestone

LeonBrooke
23rd March 2009, 05:47
Teams:
Two types of teams - constructors, and private teams. Constructors would have to field two cars at every race, privateers as many as they like, from one up to three. As many as want to compete are welcome - so long as you've got a legal car you can attempt to qualify.

Technical regs:
Constructors must manufacture their own chassis. Private teams would have the option of buying chassis from constructors or from the nominated cheap chassis constructor, who would not field a works team. Chassis would be homologated to ensure the cheap chassis, as well as older chassis, were competitive. Engines would be 3.5-litre V8, V10 or V12, running on bio-petrol. Engines would be supplied by manufacturers, or by the nominated cheap engine supplier. All privateer stuff would be price-capped. Re-fuelling would be banned.

Season:
20 races. Constructors' teams must enter all races with two cars, privateers must enter 15 to be eligible for the titles.

Championship:
12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 for the World Drivers' Championship. 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 for the World Constructors' Championship, only the first two cars from each constructor score points, and the nominated cheap chassis isn't eligible. 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 for the Engine Manufacturers' Cup, only the first two cars home score points, and the nominated cheap engine isn't eligible. 12-9-7-5-4-3-2-1 for the Privateer Drivers' Cup, only best 15 scores count. 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 for the Privateer Teams' Cup, only the first car per team scores, and only best 15 scores count.
Bonus points: One point for pole, one point for Privateers' pole, one point for fastest lap, one point for fastest Privateers' lap, one point for every car which leads a lap, and two points for most laps led. Bonus points count only for Drivers' points.

Qualifying:
One one-hour session for the privateers - fastest 12 cars qualify for the race. These 12 cars then join the constructors' cars for a single-lap qualifying session, with the order determined by the times set in the last full-field practice session fastest goes first, slowest last.

UltimateDanGTR
23rd March 2009, 17:09
Good ideas Leon, except the championship points just seem a little complicated, I would simplify it a bit, but other than that I agree with most of what you say

V12
23rd March 2009, 19:33
Id return qualifying to exactly how it was pre-2003. Actually scratch that, I'd return it to how it was pre-1996, with an hour each on Friday and Saturday, then line up in order of fastest time - simple.

I'd allow multiple makes of tyre again, I'd probably leave the standard ECU business as it is because of the whole traction control thing, but nothing else on the car to be standardised.

I'd scrap engine homologation and lift the restriction on number of cylinders. You bring an engine meeting the capacity and various other remaining rules, you can race with it. HOWEVER any major mechanical components e.g. engine, gearbox, KERS etc. should be made available to any team wanting to buy one for a maximum price. If an engine manufacturer is unable or unwilling to meet this, then that engine/gearbox/KERS would be ineligible, that is the only "homologation" style regulation I'd have.

I'd scrap the minimum entry bond (I know in theory it's payable back, but in these days of the credit crunch it's the one cost cutting measure that should be, and hasn't been, implemented). Also scrap the 12 team limit. Any oversubscriptions would be a nice problem to have and dealt with by the old-school qualifying and pre-qualifying system, competitive natural selection will weed out any teams not up to it in any case, and keep the entry lists at a manageable number.

I'd allow year old customer cars, which would be ineligible for constructor's championship points and would carry the name of the original constructor (no rebadging).

I'd also allow single car teams again, good for newcomers trying to gain a foothold. McLaren and Williams both entered the sport as single car outfits initially.

I'd also ban refuelling, and only allow a certain number of crew members to work on the car in the pits. This would slow down any tyre changes and make it more advantageous to run harder tyre compounds, keeping cornering speeds in check without any having to resort to any gimmicky control-tyre BS *ba-dum-tshhhh*

Points, either 10-6-4-3-2-1 or 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 (yes I said 12-8 and not 12-9). Not too fussed which but I would tend towards the latter system with cars being so damn reliable these days.

And Bernie's medals to be shoved sideways up his...

EDIT: I kind of like Leon's idea of a nominated "cheap" supplier, provided it was recongnised as a way for teams to get into the sport cheaply without any delusions of trying to equalise its performance with those building their own stuff. I'd guess there's be no shortage of possible takers (Dallara, Lola, Cosworth, Judd, AER etc.)

woody2goody
23rd March 2009, 19:52
Entries: Minimum of 20, maximum of 30. All cars compete in practice, qualifying and the race. No-one is eliminated.

The Season: 18-25 races with normal cycle of 1-2 weeks between them.

25 race calendar:

Melbourne, AUS
Sakhir, BAH
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Imola, SM
Barcelona, ESP
Istanbul, TUR
Monte Carlo, MON
---------3 week break---------
Indianapolis, USA
Montreal, CAN
Laguna Seca, USA
Interlagos, BRZ
INCLUDES ONE WEEK OF TESTING
-------------------------------
Portimao, POR
Valencia (Street), ESP
Silverstone, GBR
Le Mans, FRA (Circuit de la Sarthe, 24hr version) (50 laps)
Hockenheim/Nurburgring, GER
Spa-Francorchamps, BEL
A1-Ring, AUT
Hungaroring, HUN
Monza, ITA
------- 3 week break-----------
Sepang, MAS
Singapore, SIN
Shanghai, CHN
South Jeolla, KOR
Suzuka/Fuji, JPN

Order of circuits reduces travelling costs by having races in close proximity to one another (apart from AUS to BAH for example).

RACE WEEKEND:
Practice: Remains the same.

Qualifying: The current format is used, but if there are 25 or more cars, an extra 5 minutes will be added to Q1. 16 will make it into Q2 as usual.

Pitstops/Fuel: Refuelling is banned. Tyre changes are unlimited, but teams must use the 'hard' and 'soft' tyres like they do now.

Start: Standing, of course; there is no equal to it.

Chassis/Engine: Engines remain 2.4 litre V8s, but rev limit reduced to 16,500 and they have to last 3 Grands Prix. Teams running year-old chassis are unrestricted in terms of engine supplier, however (slightly nicking an idea from above lol) teams like RBR and STR must have different engine suppliers.

THE CHAMPIONSHIP:
Points will be awarded as follows: 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for the top 8 finishers. There will be 1 point awarded for pole position, and another one for the fastest lap.

Same applies for the constructors' championship.

At the end of the season, awards will be presented to the World Champion, the drivers with the most wins, most poles, most race finishes and most fastest laps. These will be presented at a ceremony immediately after the podium proceedings after the last race of the season.

jens
23rd March 2009, 19:56
I had no problems with the rules we had up-and-including 2002, so I don't see a reason, why they should have been changed. Although I can understand that the special qualifying-spec engines like we had then, would be a bit too much. Customer chassises should be allowed. And points awarded to Top10 (20/15/12/10/8/6/4/3/2/1).

Besides this - let them just race and we don't need any artificial methods to try to "spice up the show" (X-safety car rules, race fuel qualifying, compulsory tyre compounds, whatever). Competition is most interesting, when it flows in its natural way!

Tazio
23rd March 2009, 21:15
Besides this - let them just race and we don't need any artificial methods to try to "spice up the show" (X-safety car rules, race fuel qualifying, compulsory tyre compounds, whatever). Competition is most interesting, when it flows in its natural way!The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78 ;)

AndyL
24th March 2009, 11:08
The Season: 18-25 races with normal cycle of 1-2 weeks between them.

25 race calendar:

Melbourne, AUS
Sakhir, BAH
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Imola, SM
Barcelona, ESP
Istanbul, TUR
Monte Carlo, MON
Indianapolis, USA
Montreal, CAN
Laguna Seca, USA
Interlagos, BRZ
INCLUDES ONE WEEK OF TESTING
-------------------------------
Portimao, POR
Valencia (Street), ESP
Silverstone, GBR
Hockenheim/Nurburgring, GER
Spa-Francorchamps, BEL
A1-Ring, AUT
Hungaroring, HUN
Monza, ITA
------- 3 week break-----------
Sepang, MAS
Singapore, SIN
Shanghai, CHN
South Jeolla, KOR
Suzuka/Fuji, JPN

I like that season calendar. I think there's scope there to also make each segment of the season a separate regional sub-championship, and allow new teams to choose to compete in only 1 or 2 of them in their first couple of years. Overall drivers and constructors championships would be decided on points over the entire season as normal.

ShiftingGears
24th March 2009, 11:12
Bringing back sunday morning warm-up to spare the fans from awful pre-race entertainment would be great.

Mark
24th March 2009, 11:15
Qualifying:
Just one hour and the drivers can drive as many laps as they wish, like in the MotoGP.

Perhaps but you'll still get dead periods while the top teams wait for the lesser ones to lay down rubber for them.

I would prefer an Indy Start, or flying start like in the IndyCar Series, because it is more safety than a standing start.

No way, I hate flying starts. More often than not drivers are not correctly aligned and basically cheat by getting ahead of the other unfairly. A standing start means all are equal.

I would prefer a points system for the first 15 drivers.

Nah, I think there has to be some meaning to 'getting into the points'

Every team can buy a chassis and engine from others to make the costs cheaper.

Unworkable IMO. Or you end up with a situation like happened in ChampCar where it ends up being a defacto one make series.

Constructors’ World Championship:
I would bring on a Team World Championship instead of a Constructors World Championship.

Well it is now anyway, pretty much.

The teams can paint their cars like they want. The teams can start with more than 2 cars but at least one car per team of course.

To allow teams to attract more advertising revenue, why not let them paint the cars in different colours. Especially where teams employ drivers of different nationalities, this will attract different sponsors.

F@cking hell. Bring it back, the warm-up in Sunday’s morning.

Less of the swearing please. Yes, I don't see any reason not to have a warm up, as long as they don't make changes to the cars. I'd allow fuelling before the race anyway.

In addition to the Drivers’ World Championship and Constructors’ World Championship, I would introduce a Nations’ World Championship.

Bad idea IMO.

Mark
24th March 2009, 11:17
25 race calendar:

I think 25 races is too much. I think 16 is about right. Because an F1 race is all about prestige, and winning one is a big deal. So they should be special events, that don't happen every single weekend.

LeonBrooke
24th March 2009, 11:23
This would be a very long race - 682.5km - and I doubt an F1 car would be much faster than a top prototype over a lap, maybe 3:20 at the quickest, considering the tradeoff between low-downforce for the straights and low grip for the twisty stuff... but it would be awesome - nice to see the drivers tested like they've not been for a good while.

cynisca
24th March 2009, 13:46
Perhaps but you'll still get dead periods while the top teams wait for the lesser ones to lay down rubber for them.

I said as many laps as they want. So they also can change their settings and so on, like in the Free Practice Session.

Nah, I think there has to be some meaning to 'getting into the points'

I stay at that point. OK, we can discuss how many points they can get. :s mokin:

Unworkable IMO. Or you end up with a situation like happened in ChampCar where it ends up being a defacto one make series.

OK, it's a little problem but in that case can everybody win a race. But if there's just one manufacturer it could be bored the fans, a little bit. And it makes no sense to participate for other manufacturers probably.

To allow teams to attract more advertising revenue, why not let them paint the cars in different colours. Especially where teams employ drivers of different nationalities, this will attract different sponsors.

That's what I mean.

Less of the swearing please.

:( Sorry, thank you for you hint. I will wash out my mouth if I use bad terms the next time. :p :

Whyzars
24th March 2009, 14:37
Qualifying fuel loads based on WDC points earned through the season.

call_me_andrew
28th March 2009, 23:03
And another thing: Get rid of that automatic fuel door. It causes more problems than it solves.