PDA

View Full Version : World Speed Record

Easy Drifter
18th March 2009, 17:09
Tom McConkey from Coldwater, On. (20 K from here) set a World Speed Record for single engined snowmobiles on the weekend at an event in North Bay, On.
At a speed event held on Lake Nipissing he was clocked at 306 K or 190 mph.
That is scary fast on anything but on a SNOWMOBILE! Yikes.
Credit The Orillia Packet and Times.

edv
19th March 2009, 13:57
Wow. That's crazy fast for a snow machine.
I am tentatively planning a visit to Bonneville this August for their speed weeks. Been fascinated with the goings-on there since I was a kid in the '60s.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 05:45
Drifter...think about it tho. Bikes run that fast at Daytona for the 200. Fast yes..but I think Snowmobiles can go even faster. They fly on the quartermile with the little wheels on the front and the smooth track for used on ashphalt. I would think 220 would be possible on snow

Easy Drifter
20th March 2009, 07:06
Note it was for a single engine snowmobile. I do not know how fast the multis run.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 16:57
Drifter....I know with the right engine work 200mph would be doable on a sled. Just know I wont volunteer to ride the sucker...

Easy Drifter
20th March 2009, 23:25
According to the report he was planning on retiring this year (he hasn't been beaten for about 3 years) but he now wants to top 200. He said conditions were not good as ice was too soft.
The fastest I have ever gone on land is about 173 mph many years ago and that was in a car with a cage. Mind you it was on a public road and today I wouldn't be quite that stupid (maybe).