PDA

View Full Version : pace-notes

duby miller
18th March 2009, 08:08
hi all

how is the time to take the notes on the rallies is calculated ?

is there any formula - time per KM ?

the question is for wrc but also for national rallies as well .

thanks
duby

wwbroe
18th March 2009, 08:20
Normally each competitor is allowed to go trough the stages two or three times, during a certain amount of time. For example they are allowed to do recce for stage one from 8pm till 10 pm but there is control that they don't do more then the allowed passages. They have a timelimit for every special stage. Is that an answer to your question? ;)

duby miller
18th March 2009, 08:28
we have 24 mnts for 10km in one of the stages ,in our next rally ?

is it o.k ?

it looks to me not enough time for only 1 pass...

thanks

duby

wwbroe
18th March 2009, 08:46

is it o.k ?

thanks

duby

Only 24 minutes to do recce for a special stage of 10 kms? That seems a little bizar to me, what country are we talking about and what sort of event? :eek:

duby miller
18th March 2009, 09:04
yes, i know it looks bizzar...this is also what i thought and this is the reason i asked that.

it is regular rally , our 1st round of this year championship, a gravel rally with 4 stages.

last year we had for that 45 mnts...

duby

Iskald
18th March 2009, 09:07

is it o.k ?

thanks

duby

Normally, of course depending upon road conditions and the caracter of the stage, speed during first pass of recce is 40-60 km/h. So a pass of a 10 km stage, codriver writing the pacenotes, will appr. be 13-15 minutes. Then you have the time for driving from finish of the stage back to start , and then the secong pass. If it is calculated to 24 minutes for all of this, you simply won`t make it...

wwbroe
18th March 2009, 09:32
Normally, of course depending upon road conditions and the caracter of the stage, speed during first pass of recce is 40-60 km/h. So a pass of a 10 km stage, codriver writing the pacenotes, will appr. be 13-15 minutes. Then you have the time for driving from finish of the stage back to start , and then the secong pass. If it is calculated to 24 minutes for all of this, you simply won`t make it...

That is exactly what i was thinking also. :D

efe-e
30th March 2009, 13:52
It will be change by driver to driver. I'm co-driving at Turkey, and we have 3 chance to pass the stage. First pass, he's saying and i'm writing. It will be 25-30 minutes. Second pass, we are checking. This pass will be half of first pass' time. Third pass is the last, and we drive nearly racing speed. This will be 7-8 minutes, but it will change by driver-to-driver and stage-to-stage. ;)

Iskald
31st March 2009, 11:56
It will be change by driver to driver. I'm co-driving at Turkey, and we have 3 chance to pass the stage. First pass, he's saying and i'm writing. It will be 25-30 minutes. Second pass, we are checking. This pass will be half of first pass' time. Third pass is the last, and we drive nearly racing speed. This will be 7-8 minutes, but it will change by driver-to-driver and stage-to-stage. ;)

Very few countries allow "nearly racing speed" during recce. In WRC-events the speed limit for recce is 70 or 80 km/h, and it is strictly policed. In Norwegian championship rallies we have a speed limit for recce of 50 km/h.
Actually it is more or less insane to do "nearly racing speed" during recce, when roads are actually open for normal traffic. What do you do if you meet cars in the opposite direction and you are racing along cutting corners and driving lines, efe? Just close your eyes and hope for the best?

efe-e
31st March 2009, 12:53
Yes, you're right. But "Nearly racing speed" is not 120-130 km/h. Also we're loving ourselves :) If everything is under control, we're driving on corner apex, just to try how is the reaction of the car at this corner. But don't underestimate, "If everything is under control".

Iskald
31st March 2009, 20:08
Yes, you're right. But "Nearly racing speed" is not 120-130 km/h. Also we're loving ourselves :) If everything is under control, we're driving on corner apex, just to try how is the reaction of the car at this corner. But don't underestimate, "If everything is under control".

I observed some south-european drivers in Rally Norway, driving parts of the recce like it was a race in itself. It was just plain stupid behaviour, and of course during the rally proper we beat them on every stage...

Recce is not rallytraining, as I see it. Recce is reconnaissance of the stages, it enables drivers and codrivers to get to know the stages and caracter of the roads and conditions. And of course to write pacenotes.

As I wrote earlier, normally the speed is limited to 50 km/h during recce in norwegian rallies. The organisers sets up their own speed controls, and if you are caught above the speed limit, you will start the rally with a penalty of 10 seconds for every 1 km/h you are above. So if you do 60 km/h you get a penalty of 100 seconds. For second time infringement you are denied start in the rally. Sounds harsh, but I can tell you that drivers are really behaving during recce in my country! And this is good, because you can just imagine the situation where a rally driver is cutting a blind corner during recce and meets a stationwagon with a parents and kids aboard on their way to school or friday shopping. If such an accident should occur in Norway, we would get major difficulties with staging any more rallies at all...

efe-e
1st April 2009, 14:12
You're right, i wish that speed controls will be able at our stages.

duby miller
4th April 2009, 10:13
and who make the Notes in the WRC ?

are the crews doing it or they get ready ones from gravel crews and try to fix them...?

duby

Ghostwalker
4th April 2009, 13:25
and who make the Notes in the WRC ?

are the crews doing it or they get ready ones from gravel crews and try to fix them...?

duby

The Drivers make their one notes.

atsiotras79
4th April 2009, 15:48
Ι think that almost! in every rally or rallysprint here in Greece we have an accident or "nearly" accidents because of "racing speed" recce! NOBODY DOES ANYTHING ABOUT THAT and it is a disgrace!!!! Just luck is the reason not to have casualties so far!!!!! And also that is a reason that people who live in the areas that the rallies take part do not want the rallies there!!!!!