PDA

View Full Version : Todt steps down from Ferrari role

Dave B
17th March 2009, 19:24
Possible move to pave the way for running for Max's old job?

Jean Todt, who guided Ferrari’s F1 team to it’s greatest era of success, with 13 world championships in the period from 1999 to 2007, has stepped down from all his administrative roles at the team, Ferrari has just announced at a shareholders’ meeting.

“Todt has been one of the fundamental protagonists of the Ferrari story in the last 15 years, ” said Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo. ” All these years together, the wins but also the difficult moments, have created a bond between Ferrari and Todt which will last for ever.”

Full story: http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/todt-and-ferrari-part-company/

Love him or hate him, you can't deny that Jean has been an inspiration at Ferrari, and instrumental in much of their recent success. :up:

Donney
17th March 2009, 19:34
His touch within the Ferrari team is undeniable and definitely paramount.

ioan
17th March 2009, 20:27
I wish him all the best!

So, now MS is the last mohican, and I suppose he will leave to in a year or so.

CNR
17th March 2009, 21:06
has stepped down from all his administrative roles at the company, Ferrari has just announced at a shareholders’ meeting.
nothing about retirement

is he a share holder in brawn f1 ?

Cooper_S
17th March 2009, 22:47
FIA presidency beckons

Valve Bounce
18th March 2009, 00:01
I wish him all the best!

So, now MS is the last Mohican, and I suppose he will leave to in a year or so.

I have it on good authority that both Jean Todt and SchM will be vying for the position of President of FIA. However, there is no truth in the rumor that George Bush is also in the running.

ioan
18th March 2009, 06:50
FIA presidency beckons

That would be excellent news, but I doubt Bernie would like him to reverse all the BS he put through lately with Max. However the fans would love to get some real sporting regulations again.

ioan
18th March 2009, 06:52
I have it on good authority that both Jean Todt and SchM will be vying for the position of President of FIA. However, there is no truth in the rumor that George Bush is also in the running.

Todt is a possibility, MS not. He didn't want to be the Ferrari team principal, why would he want to be the FIA president?!

Valve Bounce
18th March 2009, 08:12
Todt is a possibility, MS not. He didn't want to be the Ferrari team principal, why would he want to be the FIA president?!

You didn't comment about George Bush!!

ioan
18th March 2009, 09:40
You didn't comment about George Bush!!

Well if you ask for it! :D
He would be a better choice than Max, and he would certainly take no BS from mophead. :p :

Knock-on
18th March 2009, 09:42
Possible move to pave the way for running for Max's old job?

Full story: http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/todt-and-ferrari-part-company/

Love him or hate him, you can't deny that Jean has been an inspiration at Ferrari, and instrumental in much of their recent success. :up:

I don't really have feelings for him either way but he would be a superb Guardian of F1 in my opinion.

However, you have to take into account his very close ties with a single team and the fact his main experience is in F1 although obviously he has worked in other series.

Is this the right credentials for the head of the FIA? Mind you, look ing at what a bent Lawyer did with his stewardship, perhaps we should be looking to a Banker in the future for a more ideal candidate. Anyone got Sir Freds number?

Garry Walker
18th March 2009, 09:50
Ferrari really is not the same without Todt, I would still prefer him as the boss at Ferrari rather than anyone else.

Shame.

ioan
18th March 2009, 15:32
Ferrari really is not the same without Todt, I would still prefer him as the boss at Ferrari rather than anyone else.

Shame.

I agree!

18th March 2009, 19:49
I don't really have feelings for him either way but he would be a superb Guardian of F1 in my opinion.

However, you have to take into account his very close ties with a single team and the fact his main experience is in F1 although obviously he has worked in other series.

His main experience? Surely one of them?

Head of Peugeot Sport when Group B rallying was at its height, winning the title in 85 & 86, then overseeing Peugeots succesful World Sportscar campaign culminating in 2 Le Mans victories....that pretty much covers the pinnacles of FIA motorsport.

Anyone got Sir Freds number?

Thankfully, only his lover Jackie Stewart, and he's a money grabbing half wit much like his bent incompetent paymaster.

ioan
18th March 2009, 19:54

Head of Peugeot Sport when Group B rallying was at its height, winning the title in 85 & 86, then overseeing Peugeots succesful World Sportscar campaign culminating in 2 Le Mans victories....that pretty much covers the pinnacles of FIA motorsport.

Spot on! Todt highly successfully covered F1, LeMans and Rallying during his carreer in motorsport.

PS: Good to see you back! :)

18th March 2009, 20:00
PS: Good to see you back! :)

Grazie!

ArrowsFA1
19th March 2009, 08:40
Thankfully, only his lover Jackie Stewart, and he's a money grabbing (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73601) half wit...
Three for the price of one :laugh:

As for Jean Todt, he has a superb record of achievement in F1, and elsewhere. Whether that makes him a shoe-in for the FIA Presidency is yet to be seen, but Max may see it as an appropriate final act of his Presidency to anoint Todt as his successor.

Knock-on
19th March 2009, 10:56

You are quite correct. He has a wealth of Motorsport experience but the last 16years at Ferrari have defined his career in my opinion. That doesn't detract from his acomplishments at Peugeot or his career as a driver / co-pilot before that.

I really hope the experience of JT can be used by the FIA in some capacity.

F1boat
19th March 2009, 11:24
I hope that Jean becomes F1 president. The sport needs him badly.
But if he doesn't become president, huge thanks for all the happy memories. Great team boss.

I am evil Homer
19th March 2009, 11:37
Looking back over his many achievements the one thing that strikes me is Todt's ability to get people working together and for a common goal almost from scratch. The Pug Sportscar programme is a perfect example, where they went from no team or staff to winning Le Mans, followed by Ferrari where he again created a team of people that could work together for the greater good.

That's exactly what the FIA needs. Bernie disappearing would also help!

PolePosition_1
19th March 2009, 12:55
I would be dead against him becoming head of the FIA.

How would Ferrari fans about Ron Dennis being FIA President? Probably the same as people who don't want Todt being President.

Dave B
19th March 2009, 13:22
He couldn't be any worse than the present incumbent, surely? Let's face it, my dog probably couldn't do a worse job than Max :\

Knock-on
19th March 2009, 13:23

How would Ferrari fans about Ron Dennis being FIA President? Probably the same as people who don't want Todt being President.

As a McLaren fan, it doesn't really faze me. JT is a professional and 100x better than the present idiot.

F1boat
19th March 2009, 13:28
IMO Todt has worked with different teams and I don't think that he'd be biased. But on the other hand, I'd quit watching F1 if Ron is President, so I understand your concern :)

19th March 2009, 18:33

I understand what you are saying, but I believe that the FIA should look for the best person available to become President as and when the time comes, and for me that has to be somebody who really knows the sport.

Besides which, Jean Todt no longer has any role at Ferrari, whereas Ron Dennis is still a major shareholder at Mclaren so there is a major difference.

But....and this may be a surprise considering it comes from my keyboard....If Ron were to sell up completely, then there wouldn't be any reason why he would not be capable of being considered for the Presidency.

Sure, Ron would still have an emotional attachment to Mclaren even after recieving an enormous wad of cash for his shares, but I believe that, no matter how odious I find him, he would not allow emotional attachment to effect his decision making as President. Nor for that matter would Todt.

After all, neither are exactly emotional people. Quite the opposite.

Knock-on
19th March 2009, 19:14
I understand what you are saying, but I believe that the FIA should look for the best person available to become President as and when the time comes, and for me that has to be somebody who really knows the sport.

Besides which, Jean Todt no longer has any role at Ferrari, whereas Ron Dennis is still a major shareholder at Mclaren so there is a major difference.

But....and this may be a surprise considering it comes from my keyboard....If Ron were to sell up completely, then there wouldn't be any reason why he would not be capable of being considered for the Presidency.

Sure, Ron would still have an emotional attachment to Mclaren even after recieving an enormous wad of cash for his shares, but I believe that, no matter how odious I find him, he would not allow emotional attachment to effect his decision making as President. Nor for that matter would Todt.

After all, neither are exactly emotional people. Quite the opposite.

I agree 100%

Both are steeped in Motorsport tradittion and either would be a good choice, either as the head of the FIA or as special FIA enoy for F1.

Wouldn't it be superb if Max was ousted by either of these gents, or even better, both of them.

19th March 2009, 19:21
Wouldn't it be superb if Max was ousted by either of these gents, or even better, both of them.

I wouldn't go that far.

Max has, in my opinion, done a lot for F1 and for the FIA in what is a very very tough role to fulfil. The position of FIA President demands an approach that does not please everybody all the time.

I think it's a bit too much to expect or believe Jean or Ron would not use similar divide and conquer tactics or employ forceful threatening tactics to force through changes as Max has employed.

Both Jean & Ron have been no strangers to controversy. If either was President, that wouldn't change.

Tazio
19th March 2009, 20:05
Thank's Ba bye
Enjoy the Bordeaux.

Tazio
19th March 2009, 20:48

How would Ferrari fans about Ron Dennis being FIA President? Probably the same as people who don't want Todt being President.Imagine the possible consequences :eek:

f_HMY-5l0gI

Apologies for reposting but I couldn't resist
Plus they let me out of my cell a little longer today :confused:

TMorel
20th March 2009, 18:33
How about a shared precidency with Todt and Dennis.
If a rule change is so controversial that they can't agree it between themselves then it is obviously too controversial to be considered.

Mark in Oshawa
20th March 2009, 20:12
Just about anyone would be a step up on Max. Todt would be too logical a choice tho, it'll never fly...

21st March 2009, 08:56
How about a shared precidency with Todt and Dennis.

It would work for about 2 nano-seconds......or until Todt realised Dennis has nicked his pen.....whichever is sooner.

TMorel
21st March 2009, 09:02
...or until Todt realised Dennis has nicked his pen...

It wasn't Todt's pen, it was just a very similar design that Dennis found.
a VERY similar design.

21st March 2009, 09:14
It wasn't Todt's pen, it was just a very similar design that Dennis found.
a VERY similar design.

And imagine the arguments about who would use the photocopier?

See, you've opened a can of worms already!