PDA

View Full Version : New point system to F1. Shall WRC follow ?

A.F.F.
17th March 2009, 14:57
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7948455.stm

During this Loeb-era, it would only strenghten his chances for title :)

AndyRAC
17th March 2009, 15:03
The thing I don't get is that WRC used to have a different points system - then the FIA changed to bring them all in line. What will happen now? Last year Loeb would have won it by the summer.....

N.O.T
17th March 2009, 15:12
the new system is good it really gives motivation for someone to win and also puts pressure on the guys following in order not to give up the fight so easily.

A.F.F.
17th March 2009, 15:14
So if Hirvonen gathers 78 points including one win and Sordo only gets 34 points but manages to win two times, then Sordo is the champion, right?

Have I understood it correctly?

gloomyDAY
17th March 2009, 15:31
So if Hirvonen gathers 78 points including one win and Sordo only gets 34 points but manages to win two times, then Sordo is the champion, right?

Have I understood it correctly?Yes, precisely.

Stupid idea and I hope WRC is not next!

RS
17th March 2009, 17:08
The 12-9-7 system as propsed by the F1 teams would have been better for both championships.

Rallyper
17th March 2009, 17:25
The 12-9-7 system as propsed by the F1 teams would have been better for both championships.

In the current situation with Loeb dominating the thing should be like today, no changes.

But interesting: from 2013 the S2000 cars will have an 1,6 litre turbo-charged engine. 300 hp will be no problem again and torque surely over 450Nm... ;)

tmx
17th March 2009, 22:13
That is kind of stupid. You mean if a drive has 1 win, but crash out on all other races, and then another driver get second place on every single race, the former one becomes champion? Rallying is different than F1, consistency should be rewarded.

About F1, only 30mil pounds, that even seem less than the two leading wrc teams as of now. Do anyone knows the budget figure for Citroen and Ford?

Finni
17th March 2009, 22:33
Win should be rewarded by ten points and second by 6. Current system don't reward winners enough.

In F1 it will be fun to watch how desperate overtaking moves current system will encourage. Drivers will take way more risks starting from the start of the race. Safety safety!!!

cosmicpanda
18th March 2009, 04:27
That is kind of stupid. You mean if a drive has 1 win, but crash out on all other races, and then another driver get second place on every single race, the former one becomes champion? Rallying is different than F1, consistency should be rewarded.

There most be other drivers winning the other events that you don't appear to consider.

curry
18th March 2009, 04:33
Whilst we are at it, why not change the stupid manufactures point system as well. I highlight the example of Dani not having to race Petter in Cyprus as it didn’t matter whether he came 3rd or 4th; he was still going to receive 6 points for Citroen. Seriously what is the point of having a system that does not encourage drivers to push.
I believe the manufactures points should be exactly the same as the drivers points.

Gard
18th March 2009, 07:03
Whilst we are at it, why not change the stupid manufactures point system as well. I highlight the example of Dani not having to race Petter in Cyprus as it didn’t matter whether he came 3rd or 4th; he was still going to receive 6 points for Citroen. Seriously what is the point of having a system that does not encourage drivers to push.
I believe the manufactures points should be exactly the same as the drivers points.

Agree, but on the other hand. If Petter was a threat to the manu point, he wouldn't be allowed to beat Sordo.

morganmilan
18th March 2009, 10:26
I believe WRC must return to old 20-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1 system for drivers, and addition of two best drivers points for manufacturers, but not previously nominated, as in IRC. That way, privateers could negotiate while rally future budget, parts, assistance or official drivings with official teams if they can score manufacturer points... and official drivers (ejem, Lattvala, Sordo et al) would be forced to do it better before being removed... :D

J.Lindstroem
18th March 2009, 10:54
Agree, but on the other hand. If Petter was a threat to the manu point, he wouldn't be allowed to beat Sordo.

Whould that really be the case? Whould better back off and what do you think whould happend if he did'nt do as he was told?

DonJippo
18th March 2009, 12:00
Whould that really be the case? Whould better back off and what do you think whould happend if he did'nt do as he was told?

If I remember it correctly Citroen still owns the engine mapping software...I leave it to you to figure out what would happen :p

DonJippo
18th March 2009, 12:12
I believe WRC must return to old 20-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1 system for drivers, and addition of two best drivers points for manufacturers, but not previously nominated, as in IRC. That way, privateers could negotiate while rally future budget, parts, assistance or official drivings with official teams if they can score manufacturer points... and official drivers (ejem, Lattvala, Sordo et al) would be forced to do it better before being removed... :D

But if that was the case would we see factory teams anymore? What would be a point for manufactures to have their own team if they can rely on privateers to collect points on their behalf?

Gard
18th March 2009, 12:16

Engine would start misfire or boost pressure fail. C4 would never happen.

Mirek
18th March 2009, 12:41
But if that was the case would we see factory teams anymore? What would be a point for manufactures to have their own team if they can rely on privateers to collect points on their behalf?

Would it be realy wrong? What are manufacturer teams good for?

morganmilan
18th March 2009, 12:44
But that would not be a problem if manufacturers were forced to entry in Wrc with a minimum of rallyes to run in order to score points. By other hand there are manufacturers at IRC with nowadays rules, and more than in WRC...A mixed solution to potentiate competition would be possible, in my opinion... :)

Lousada
18th March 2009, 12:58

M-Sport and last year Prodrive are private teams that score manufacturer points on their brands behalf.
Reasons for real manufacturer teams like Citroen Sport could be to keep control over things. All the talents and technology would stay within Citroen. Doing it themselves would also give them more control over promotional efforts.

jens
20th March 2009, 09:45
I think 10-6-4-3-2-1 system suits current WRC most, especially considering (lack of) competition, where not many more than 6 competitive car/driver combinations participate anyway. Despite getting constantly beaten by Loeb, with current system Hirvonen stays close to him in the points standings and that's a bit annoying.

AndyRAC
20th March 2009, 11:18
I think 10-6-4-3-2-1 system suits current WRC most, especially considering (lack of) competition, where not many more than 6 competitive car/driver combinations participate anyway. Despite getting constantly beaten by Loeb, with current system Hirvonen stays close to him in the points standings and that's a bit annoying.

I agree, last year Loeb kept winning yet only clinched the Title in Japan - it should really have been over well before that. Loeb won 10 events, just ridiculous that Hirvonen should have been in touch that long. What if, Loeb had had problems in Japan and GB - and Hirvonen won the Title - yet Loeb won twice as many events. Madness.

AlfaWRC
20th March 2009, 11:21
In 2001 Burns became champion by just winning one event...

Wim_Impreza
20th March 2009, 11:39
Yes, but Burns made not much mistakes as Colin McRae. Mäkinen had a slow Lancer WRC in the second part of the season. The Peugeot's from Grönholm and Rovanperä were unreliable that year. Sainz was not fast enough in the second part of the season.

tmx
20th March 2009, 12:35
What if, Loeb had had problems in Japan and GB - and Hirvonen won the Title - yet Loeb won twice as many events. Madness.
In 2001 Burns became champion by just winning one event...

He scored points consistently so he got the title.

You kind of predict that out of proportion, bottom line is Loeb finished most rallies and scored consistent points. Auriol won 6 events out of 10 and still lost the champion in 1992, he only came 3rd place.

I think the current point system is fair, but it take away the incentive to fight for victory. The large points different between 1st place and 2nd place works better when there were only 10 rallies, but not if there are 15 rallies. But I guess we are coming back to 12 rallies now, so maybe 10 points for 1st place then 7 points for 2nd.

I don't think there is any point systems you can apply to stop Loeb from dominating as long as he has the C4 and a team with big budgets.

A.F.F.
24th March 2009, 22:23
Maybe pointscoring will change when ISC gets the promotion on and running?

BDunnell
24th March 2009, 22:32
Let's go back to points down to 10th, a system that worked fine for years.