PDA

View Full Version : WRC TV Show - How to Improve ?

Sulland
16th March 2009, 10:14
The TV production that I see on Eurosport has been the same for years.

What can be done to improve the 30 min daily reports, to become more interesting than they are today ?

AndyRAC
16th March 2009, 10:38

What can be done to improve the 30 min daily reports, to become more interesting than they are today ?

Simple, sack the ISC people, who film and provide the coverage! It's pants!! Simply dreadful!

It was better 10 years ago with BBC Worldwide filming it.

Simmi
16th March 2009, 12:47
It comes down to the budget I think. How much money is being used in the making of this coverage. Probably not much at all.

The problems and generic look of the shows comes from a lack of cameras out on the stages. Plain and simple. When I watch the coverage I want to see the cars from the outside attacking the stages. I think everyone else wants that too. But if you have just two, sometimes even one camera crew per stage, how do you convey the coverage without using all the boring on board footage.

I HATE the shot looking back at the drivers. The format of outside shot - shot looking at drivers - onboard shot looking out of windscreen - shot from static camera. When you have watched this for about 6 years you cant help but be sick of it.

But what is the alternative without more crews on stages? This is why we get stupid Virtual Spectator (was good for 2 months back in 2003), and boring head-2-head split breakdowns when all we want is exterior footage. They just dont have the shots.

Obviously it costs more to fly these guys out to the stages, give them equipment, pay them a wage etc. Plus you only have a 30min slot so time is at a premium anyway. But in F1 there is never a case of you not seeing parts of the track. They aren't limited to the use of two camera crews. It all comes down to money.

The biggest improvement they could do IMO is get the helicopter back in the air. That to me really showed the speed and spectacle of rallying. But someone has to pay for it. It wouldn't surprise me if the ISC diverts funds to other pointless areas at the expense of this. To me it's a no brainer to improve coverage.

Then how about just telling us what happened with an informative Mark James-eque commentary. No more cries of faked surprise...

And don't even get me started on the UK Dave coverage that rates rallying so highly it would rather plug a third rate commedian or upcoming tv show!
Rant over.

bassist
16th March 2009, 14:06

I could be totally barking up the wrong tree here, but does anyone know if BHP Productions is still around, known as another company or even linked to ISC?? Barry Hinchcliffe was the guy who put Rally Coverage on the Map, and I think he did the terrestrial coverage on BBC/ITV many years ago.The programmes were full of action and geared to the ardent Rally fan or newcomer. I think it was Steve Riders commentary that also added to the package, and all in all made for an enjoyable watch! The shots they have of the drivers faces/feet/ wings in the current coverage is a total waste of air time. I appreciate cost is a major factor, but I would have thought that those at the FIA would have wanted the `shop wndow` of the sport to be great viewing,along with F1/Premiership Football/Golf.Maybe because the ISC is now the Global Promoter things may get better? Coverage of Monte was excellent, and the on board shots of stages spectacular, so the skill is there, even if it costs extra! So ideally, bring back BHP, show it on BBC (alongside F1) no adds, and get Mr Rider back, and stick to covrage of rallying, and leave out the Geography/Current Affairs.

jonkka
16th March 2009, 17:37
The problems and generic look of the shows comes from a lack of cameras out on the stages.

The biggest improvement they could do IMO is get the helicopter back in the air.

Exactly, here you have the number 1 and number 2 points that I couldn't agree more with!

I would add lack of narrative as third point. Nowadays the coverage goes through the top drivers in one stage, then moves to next stage and repeats this until next service break or rally end, at which point there are some silly questions to drivers. Obviously, this isn't down to ISC who only provide the raw film but for the company actually airing the package and how they edit it.

However, the result is just a collection of stage times and odd comments with little or no overall perspective or sense of plot. In the old days, when the full rally coverage was sent several days after the event ended, they had time to collect the best bits and really tell the story of how the rally progressed. Those were enjoyable...

I HATE the shot looking back at the drivers. The format of outside shot - shot looking at drivers - onboard shot looking out of windscreen - shot from static camera. When you have watched this for about 6 years you cant help but be sick of it.

Onboards, cockpit cameras and Virtual Spectator were all good gimmicks when those still were a novelty and still are if properly used but you're right, those are overused today.

Motorsportfun
16th March 2009, 21:11
Maybe because the ISC is now the Global Promoter things may get better? Coverage of Monte was excellent, and the on board shots of stages spectacular, so the skill is there, even if it costs extra!

Well, if you tell me that Monte's coverage is excellent, I dont agree. Why? Because for a newcomer, to see minutes and minutes of footage from the same on-board camera is boring. Isn't the right way to promote the sport. The "live" experience is good, but also in the IRC there is the same problem: the tv-crews on the stages. Look at the IRC magazines, the footage is taken from the same corner...

...for the tv production in Rallying, the problem is the same for all: the TV-crews on the stages. ISC is going in the right way, putting biggest crews (with 3 people in near corners) and 3 cameras located. Watch the "meet the crew" on wrc.com, you'll understand what Im saying.

But is necessary to improve the coverage for what concern graphics, maybe using something like THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Ck_Fakn9s) orTHIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOmZDu0jeUM)

What do you think about it?

Jimmy Magnusson
16th March 2009, 22:13
I'm tired of watching the stage finish over and over again, souped up with some virtual spectator. Give me more exterior shots, and by god, give me a proper commentator (I think one is pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q2G54PRUzQ&feature=related). And as others have also said, add a better narrative. But again, what really needs to change is to have more of the Youtube link coverage and less of waiting for the timer to stop and seeing that Sordo had indeed lost time to Solberg.

WRCfan
17th March 2009, 08:12
How to improve?

Stop showing 22 minutes of footage out of 25 consisting of Loeb. There ARE OTHER CARS RUNNING!

Iskald
17th March 2009, 09:20
I do agree with most of the abovementioned, except that I`m not really that impressed of the Monte coverage.

As a TV-producer myself I do know one or two things about TV-coverage of rallies. It is possibly one of the most difficult sports to cover properly, unless you have more or less unlimited resources. And as I have written before, I am positively sure that rallying at the moment doesn`t generate enough of a sponsor market to cover the neccessary costs.

With travel, transport, food, accomodation and wages one cameraman, sound man or effect camera operator (inboard etc) will cost appr. 700 Euros pr. day. On top of that comes reporters, producers, video-editors etc. I don`t know the size of the North One Television crew for a WRC-event, but should we guess at least 20 people? Thats 14 000 Euros pr. day in costs for the crew alone. That doesn`t include the costs for running the production unit semitrailers (where they actually edit and produce the programmes). We are talking huge costs here.

Of course this is no excuse for stale and boring programmes with very little proper journlistic content. That is possibly the worst with these programmes today. The broadcast from Cyprus ended with a totally meaningless "interview" with Citroën teamboss Olivier Quesnel. It was "sponsorjournalism" at its worst, because the "reporter" didn`t even ask Quesnel a question about his views on Petter Solberg in an eight year old Xsara actually beating both factory drivers during the last two days of the rally. IMO this was a highly relevant question, with great public interest, but it was never asked and never answered...

AndyRAC
17th March 2009, 10:54
I do agree with most of the abovementioned, except that I`m not really that impressed of the Monte coverage.

As a TV-producer myself I do know one or two things about TV-coverage of rallies. It is possibly one of the most difficult sports to cover properly, unless you have more or less unlimited resources. And as I have written before, I am positively sure that rallying at the moment doesn`t generate enough of a sponsor market to cover the neccessary costs.

With travel, transport, food, accomodation and wages one cameraman, sound man or effect camera operator (inboard etc) will cost appr. 700 Euros pr. day. On top of that comes reporters, producers, video-editors etc. I don`t know the size of the North One Television crew for a WRC-event, but should we guess at least 20 people? Thats 14 000 Euros pr. day in costs for the crew alone. That doesn`t include the costs for running the production unit semitrailers (where they actually edit and produce the programmes). We are talking huge costs here.

Of course this is no excuse for stale and boring programmes with very little proper journlistic content. That is possibly the worst with these programmes today. The broadcast from Cyprus ended with a totally meaningless "interview" with Citroën teamboss Olivier Quesnel. It was "sponsorjournalism" at its worst, because the "reporter" didn`t even ask Quesnel a question about his views on Petter Solberg in an eight year old Xsara actually beating both factory drivers during the last two days of the rally. IMO this was a highly relevant question, with great public interest, but it was never asked and never answered...

Ha ha, 'The Reporter'. The whole WRC/ISC business is about promoting 'the show' - forget about any proper journalism. The interviews on Radio, the TV are virtually worthless, nothing hard hitting at all, i;e "How do you feel after winning?" "How unhappy after crashing, again?" The website is the same, nothing critical, remember the stage cancellations in Japan & Wales. Nothing! Not only that, they've also got hold of Rallycourse and made that the Offiical Annual - thereby removing any criticism. It's all control freakery.
Don't know what it's like in any other country, but here in UK we don't get any post Rally analysis. It would be nice to have some after the action finishes - go to a studio and some decent journalists commenting. Won't happen though because there isn't a big enough audience for it in UK.
As for the coverage, it was better when either BBC/BHP filmed it - and that was 10-20 years ago!!

BDunnell
17th March 2009, 11:19
I agree with all of Iskald's comments.

Personally, I think that the way in which the WRC has changed does not help, because the treatment of the sport on TV has thus become far more like that of racing, and this annoys me no end.

wrc_flipper
17th March 2009, 13:52
The coverage is provided by NorthOne and sold by ISC.
TV companies buy shows from ISC and they get to pick what format they want.

For Dave in the UK its the "Lifestyle" shows - so you get nice pictures of the area and guest plying the latest shows on etc etc, plus the rally.
Eurosport buy the 30min end of day coverage that rounds up that days events. And so on around the world.

The only way to get money into the TV coverage is from viewing figures attracting sponsors who will pay for adverts or to get it on the BBC who also like viewing figures to get the licence fee! So in the UK means that we will never get a primetime slot on ITV1 on a Saturday evening as they would perfer Ant and Dec (for the time being anyway!)

Dave (UKTV) likes the WRC as its boosted it viewing figures no end from the normal repeats of Top Gear and thus atracts avertisers. Perhaps someone could write to UKTV and ask for more action and less cooking items as thats whay they ask for an NorthOne duly deliver!

If more people watched the wrc then budgets would go up - so ISC need to focus on this. One of its objectives for the promotor role, if its still stands, is to ensure as far as possible the WRC remains on free to air channels, lets hope it does for 2010 and onwards.

Sulland
17th March 2009, 13:54
Maybe you should apply for a job Iskald, WRC and the fans need you ! And if you need to bring your 'TV-media' crew with you that will help even more !! :)

Nenukknak
17th March 2009, 14:55
Fact of the matter is. These 30 minutes reports are very difficult to get more interesting, more cameras would be the solution, but someone has to pay. Less irrelevant interviews would also be nice.

IMO these 30minutes reports are for those people that want to stay update of the day's action.

What should be added to increase the popularity of WRC and give it more exposure (besides that the championship has to clean up its own act), is an hour review of the rally, different from the one they have now, that truly captures the rally. Shows the scenery, the preparation, and all the distinctive features that makes that certain rally specific. Make it more a program that captures the atmosphere and is less concerned with just a simple summing up of the results. Give the editors something to do. Mix some music in there as mini-items in the report.

On the Duke DVD group B: the rally supercars. There is that great section of the 1985 San Remo rally, with a great song, and it lasts about 4 minutes. That is better coverage and gets you more excited about rallying than today's crap, and that's not just because it's group B.

Sell that hour review to stations so that they can air it on sunday before F1 race, and bob's your uncle. Well at least that's what I would want to see.

Iskald
17th March 2009, 20:00
Maybe you should apply for a job Iskald, WRC and the fans need you ! And if you need to bring your 'TV-media' crew with you that will help even more !! :)

Should be fun!
But no, regrettably I think we can only dream of a change re. television coverage. I thought it was good when Nicky Grist made those feature reports. I don`t know hat happened with that. Nicky was entertaining and wellinformed, but maybe he was to expensive. Worth every penny, if you ask me, especially in comparison to the socalled "reporters" they are using nowadays.

Fischer
17th March 2009, 20:57
How about more telemetry

JFL
17th March 2009, 21:26
Inboard camera with splitscreen.. easy to compare 2 drivers to see where someone looses time. Or telemetry as you say to see toppspeed and where they brake etc.. I remember it used to be that, and the Citroen was going fastest on all the straights.. Maybe the teams won't allow that?? I think it would be more inteeressting then watching the faces of drivers... In some situations anyway...

tmx
17th March 2009, 21:56
I stopped watching most WRC coverage this year. I did watch the IRC coverage though, I like it because it has a lot of onboard, but probably for too much for viewers who are less addicted to the driving.

For starter, I would be more happy if the coverage were again at least as good as it was from 2003-2005, if you go back and watch they were much better than now.

The only F1 coverage I watched recently was the one where Lewis Hamilton won the title. They did it so well that I think WRC coverage should just copy their ideas. The F1 coverage was good because it engages and entertain the viewers. There are hypes or predictions throughout the show, but in this case it works. Rallying is a bit different, but you can still insert some of those concepts.

They need to find a way to put the onboard camera close to the front, more engine sound instead of the turbo whistle and the Ford's lawn mower farting exhaustion. They're utilization of the car cameras are so bad they even made rallying driving boring to watch. Too much goofy angles that doesn't show dramatic speed.

Jake Stephens
18th March 2009, 01:56
Want to improve the coverage? Simple, step one, round up all the ISC/North One guys and take them to a remote location, "play a little game" with them Saw style and eliminate them one by one, Paul King last so he can do the "commentary". Step two, hire people who know absolutely NOTHING about WRC and get them to do the coverage, cant be any worse than it is now. Step three, during the rally reports, get the new guys to do a segment each rally on who from the ISC/North One crew gets taken out by the Saw guy. Sound interesting? Ask Bernie nd Max, they may introduce it...? Its controversial enough for them, so lets throw them into the "little game" too.

cosmicpanda
18th March 2009, 04:25
They need to stop kidding themselves. Unless it's being broadcast live, then they shouldn't act like it is live.

Also, they need to upgrade their onboard cameras. They need one with a view out of the windscreen or on the roof so that it is possible to see where the car is going, and one inside the car to capture any in-car drama. They really need to stop the useless shots of the driver's helmet bobbing around every few minutes. They also need to have the cameras transmitting the data so that the onboard footage can be provided live.

This way, they could cover some stages live. Perhaps they could cover the last leg or last loop of stages of each event.

Basically, if it's like the coverage of Monte Carlo, I'd be happier. :)

AndiG
18th March 2009, 06:36
[quote="Simmi"]
The biggest improvement they could do IMO is get the helicopter back in the air.

But it´s bull for the spectators in the stages. You don`t hear the sound of the cars if the noisy helicopter always follows them. So watching is a lot less interesting but much more dangerous because you can´t hear the oncoming cars if you are crossing the road or searching for new spectating points. :confused:

AndiG
18th March 2009, 06:49

But this is bull for the spectators out on the stages. The noisy helicopters following the cars make watching a lot less interesting but much more dangerous because you can´t hear oncoming cars. :confused:

SchUMine
18th March 2009, 08:00
I stopped watching most WRC coverage this year. I did watch the IRC coverage though, I like it because it has a lot of onboard, but probably for too much for viewers who are less addicted to the driving.

They need to find a way to put the onboard camera close to the front, more engine sound instead of the turbo whistle and the Ford's lawn mower farting exhaustion.

I don't agree..During IRC coverage all I heard was stupid helicopter sound. I prefer turbo whistle than helicopter : )
WRC coverage is much more better than IRC one.

Gard
18th March 2009, 08:32
I don't agree..During IRC coverage all I heard was stupid helicopter sound. I prefer turbo whistle than helicopter : )
WRC coverage is much more better than IRC one.

I don't understand all the IRC/s2000 hype either. It's more of a protest agains current wrc I suppose. I think Monte was one the better TV coverages for a while, but it certainly left a lot to wish for. Even in current format, WRC is 10 times more interesting

cosmicpanda
18th March 2009, 11:42
But this is bull for the spectators out on the stages. The noisy helicopters following the cars make watching a lot less interesting but much more dangerous because you can´t hear oncoming cars. :confused:

But you can hear the oncoming helicopters :)

Motorsportfun
18th March 2009, 22:21
As someone said before, some graphics with new telemetries for the public (they tried in 2005-2006), more TV-crews on the stages will improve the media coverage of the event.

Also the MTV3 strategy for Finland was extremely interesting, with a "TV-studio" in the Service Park, able to pick the drivers and talk with them immediately after the event. That would be perfect for what AndyRAC asks... a talk-show with experts! :s mokin:

Also the "Rally Preview" magazine could be improved, maybe talking about hospitality, glamour in the series, etc. For example, let me talk about Red Bull's party in Catalunya, last year. It was so glamour and nice, but nobody talked about it... I could say the same things for Ford's and Suzuki's media functions... all these things could be interesting to show on TV.

For what concern the INTERNET, they have to unlock the 16:9 clips for web-tv's. Actually, the WRC images are an "exclusive" for just wrc.com...
...also Racing-Live.com was blocked, and is an ESPN website! :rolleyes:

They have to follow the example of the TOUR DE FRANCE of cyclism. ASO (the same editorial group that organize the Dakar rally) started the massive media coverage of the event giving to the TVs the footages of the event. Then, when the event was "famous" all around the world, they started to ask lots of money, and now is one of the biggest sporting events of the year.

Motorsportfun
18th March 2009, 22:25
Meanwhile, I've found the website for the Company that provides the actual TV compound.

It's the "Special Event Services, ltd" and, some years ago, they had also a proper TV studio!

http://www.sesltd.info/html/temp/Picture%20666%20%28Custom%29.jpg

http://www.sesltd.info/html/news_pg3.htm

tmx
19th March 2009, 09:23
For what concern the INTERNET, they have to unlock the 16:9 clips for web-tv's. Actually, the WRC images are an "exclusive" for just wrc.com...
...also Racing-Live.com was blocked, and is an ESPN website! :rolleyes:

wrc.com has become almost disgusting with ads littered everywhere.

Simmi
19th March 2009, 09:34

That isn't really relevant though IMO. How do you show the spectacle of rallying from static cameras amongst the trees. The helicopter is so effective the shots you get are amazing, plus you see more action.

Just an example of this is Kresta's crash on the Monte in the Octavia in '02 or whenever. An iconic shot of the post-millenium WRC. Filmed from a helicopter. Gronholm's roll later that same year on Halfway. Captured perfectly. Even last year on the rare occasions they were used like in NZ, we got to see the rally deciding mistakes from the Ford drivers.

I understand what you are saying about being annoying for speccys but in the grand scheme of things WRC is not designed to appeal only to the spectators on the stages. It is a TV sport now with sponsors to think about. I have been to many WRC events. The helicopter to me added to the buzz of the first car coming through and there was certainly never any danger of missing it.

A helicopter costs a lot no doubt about it. But it is money well-spent IMO. Unless they are ACTUALLY mandated to get at least 2-3 sponsor banners in every shot. I suppose they could call it 'Airwaves Cam' if they had to.

JFL
19th March 2009, 09:52
"eye in the sky" Was that a sucsess?

BDunnell
19th March 2009, 10:14
Inboard camera with splitscreen.. easy to compare 2 drivers to see where someone looses time. Or telemetry as you say to see toppspeed and where they brake etc.. I remember it used to be that, and the Citroen was going fastest on all the straights.. Maybe the teams won't allow that?? I think it would be more inteeressting then watching the faces of drivers... In some situations anyway...

And there you have the problem with deciding what people want, because I really couldn't care less about the things you mention.

JFL
19th March 2009, 10:41
What do you care about?

Jimmy Magnusson
19th March 2009, 11:12
What do you care about?

A good narrative that explains a lot while not mucking about with too much graphics. Basically what we had about ten years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGdYqACF9Vw

Simmi
19th March 2009, 11:49
What do you care about?

They already try to do split screen stuff and it's just terrible. What's that thing they do these days. I think they call it 'Head to Head'. All the 'technical' stuff like this just sends me to sleep. They just use it to take up more time if there's only been a few stages that day or something. People would prefer to see the PWRC stuff IMO. It would also destroy the myth that there are only 8 cars in any given rally.

Simmi
19th March 2009, 11:52
"eye in the sky" Was that a sucsess?

I'm not on about that live helicopter stuff they did on the down under events recently. If they would do that for more rounds I would watch it, but I'm talking about just incorporating good quality helicopter shots into the highlights shows and overall coverage.

If a helicopter is up there anyway then they might then take a punt at using it to get live pictures, should they ever try to mimic what the IRC did.

AndyRAC
19th March 2009, 11:57
A good narrative that explains a lot while not mucking about with too much graphics. Basically what we had about ten years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGdYqACF9Vw

It wasn't ISC filming it, was it? A coincidence...??

Ghostwalker
19th March 2009, 14:14

i'm pretty sure that it, in the rally program safety info, says that you should be aware on oncoming helicopters because it usually means that there is car coming.

Simmi
19th March 2009, 14:16
Interview extract from wrc.com with ISC head honcho Simon Long:
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=221&featureid=1448&pageid=1615

Here's the bit regarding TV:

"And what plans do you have for television?
As ISC we've had around 10 years experience of working with North One Television on the production side, so we've got a product which I think stands the test. WRC TV is now regarded as a quality benchmark but we believe we have to raise the game. The trick is to put the consumer at the heart of the action and to cater to the mainstream rally audience and our rally fans.

Mostly our television programming is a chronological reportage of the event, but in the broadcast universe now there is a proliferation of choice; there's leisure, sport, music, travel, lifestyle and so on. The beauty about rally is that we have content that can tick all of those boxes. In October we'll unveil a new portfolio of sports programming which will offer great WRC coverage to our established fan base but also a broader scope of coverage which is more lifestyle, music and travel oriented.

Right now we have over 200 broadcast partners and the WRC is shown in about 130 countries. We're looking to increase our international edit facilities on rally so broadcasters from around the world can customise the programme to their local audiences. We're looking to increase the quality of our on-board cameras, too. We're working towards a solid state high-definition technology and to get it into more cars."

So clearly more cooking related features on the way....in Hi Def.

GigiGalliNo1
19th March 2009, 16:07
At least it's broadcast in W I D E S C R E E N! (16:9)

:p

BDunnell
19th March 2009, 16:57
What do you care about?

I want to see a narrative of the event with intelligent commentary and interviews, and good use of on-board cameras backing up footage from cameras on the stages. Split times do not interest me at all — the times at the end of each stage do. And the fact that there are now so few stages in each WRC event that there is time in a TV programme to mess about with such gimmicks as split times is a sad reflection on the sport, in my opinion.

AndyRAC
19th March 2009, 22:02
Interview extract from wrc.com with ISC head honcho Simon Long:
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=221&featureid=1448&pageid=1615

Here's the bit regarding TV:

"And what plans do you have for television?
As ISC we've had around 10 years experience of working with North One Television on the production side, so we've got a product which I think stands the test. WRC TV is now regarded as a quality benchmark but we believe we have to raise the game. The trick is to put the consumer at the heart of the action and to cater to the mainstream rally audience and our rally fans.

Mostly our television programming is a chronological reportage of the event, but in the broadcast universe now there is a proliferation of choice; there's leisure, sport, music, travel, lifestyle and so on. The beauty about rally is that we have content that can tick all of those boxes. In October we'll unveil a new portfolio of sports programming which will offer great WRC coverage to our established fan base but also a broader scope of coverage which is more lifestyle, music and travel oriented.

Right now we have over 200 broadcast partners and the WRC is shown in about 130 countries. We're looking to increase our international edit facilities on rally so broadcasters from around the world can customise the programme to their local audiences. We're looking to increase the quality of our on-board cameras, too. We're working towards a solid state high-definition technology and to get it into more cars."

So clearly more cooking related features on the way....in Hi Def.

Sorry, I can't agree with him - the coverage was better 10+ years ago, watching some highlights of WRC 1997/98 the other day which was broadcast on BBC tv, is far superior, so is the commentary from Mark James/Tiff Needell (no pretending it's live). Even look at older highlights on You Tube - they are better as well.
What is the fascination with the camera looking back at the driver's face? Just can't see the point in it.
It might also help if the WRC was exciting - at the moment it's about as exciting as a wet weekend in Bognor.....

Jimmy Magnusson
19th March 2009, 22:59
It wasn't ISC filming it, was it? A coincidence...??

I have no idea what so ever. But I liked the WRC coverage of the 90s...

AndiG
20th March 2009, 06:39
I understand what you are saying about being annoying for speccys but in the grand scheme of things WRC is not designed to appeal only to the spectators on the stages. It is a TV sport now with sponsors to think about. I have been to many WRC events. The helicopter to me added to the buzz of the first car coming through and there was certainly never any danger of missing it.

I know that the spectators out on the stages are not as important as the sponsors. But I am one of them and I have already watched 20 WRC events and what would the sport be without spectators in the forests??? And I´m not interested in watching cars that I can´t hear, that is the main point for me.

Sulland
20th March 2009, 07:02
They could also put a camera together with Colin Clark from WRC radio, at the end of the SS's to catch the interview, and put selected ones into the evening show, to get comments from the drivers to further explain the viewers on why the results happen as they do.

GigiGalliNo1
20th March 2009, 07:04
great idea! and they could broadcast it LIVE on the interweb/website!!!

rallyfiend
20th March 2009, 09:51
They could also put a camera together with Colin Clark from WRC radio, at the end of the SS's to catch the interview, and put selected ones into the evening show, to get comments from the drivers to further explain the viewers on why the results happen as they do.

Doesn't Colin just go to the same places as the WRC camera crew anyway? Isn't that why there's always 2 branded micrphones - one for the TV and one for Colin clark?

Simmi
20th March 2009, 13:31
I know that the spectators out on the stages are not as important as the sponsors. But I am one of them and I have already watched 20 WRC events and what would the sport be without spectators in the forests??? And I´m not interested in watching cars that I can´t hear, that is the main point for me.

Well that's an argument for another day when it comes to what the actual value of spectators out in the stages is. You have to wonder sometimes with places like Japan and Jordan etc. I know what you mean the real fans shouldn't have to suffer for TV. I have been moved from a spot so the TV guys could put up a BFGoodrich sign. That right there tells you where the priorities are.

Personally I would take having to hear the noise of a helicopter (which is commonplace anyway) if it meant we got good quality shots. That's just me I suppose you do spectate a lot of events worldwide.

Also in reference to the wrc.com article and what AndyRAC said. I also cant agree with Long about the current tv being a quality benchmark. It has stood the test of time simply because they were too lazy to change it and no one has complained enough.

If you read the full interview I'd say about 80% of what he said was IMO, negative to the sport. Making an online computer game or a webcam at the end of the stage is not good enough.

Viridian Black
22nd March 2009, 21:55
to be fair a few events I've been to have had too many spectators at the stage which has led to stage cancellations or had to stand in a rubbish position next to someone with an air horn. If they want more spectators on the stages i hope they have a way of dealing with them.

secondly i hope they stop with these "spectator stages" such as Walters Area. I was there in 2008 and it was crowded and had some annoying commentator constantly speaking over the cars.

GigiGalliNo1
23rd March 2009, 01:52
Doesn't Colin just go to the same places as the WRC camera crew anyway? Isn't that why there's always 2 branded micrphones - one for the TV and one for Colin clark?

True, well I'm going to go buy some 1996-2000 rally DVD's later today.

:)

zerodegreec
23rd March 2009, 05:01
Here is an idea for more coverage:

take 20 or 30 cheaper HD quality cameras (the ones you can pickup for <5k) and setup a networking group to get local enthusiasts to shoot throughout the stages. Give them a quick 1hr tutorial on how to use the camera, give them tripods and tell them to point it, leave it and press record. I know that you wont get the pro shots but you will get allot more of the good footage and most of the crashes, offs or breakdowns.

Start involvement from the REAL fans and you will get not only better shots, but an instat influx of passion from the fans.

Keep the 1 to 2 crews of pros in the field in the high profile locaions, but add in some local knowledge and enthusiasm... = progress.

AndyRAC
23rd March 2009, 08:25
to be fair a few events I've been to have had too many spectators at the stage which has led to stage cancellations or had to stand in a rubbish position next to someone with an air horn. If they want more spectators on the stages i hope they have a way of dealing with them.

secondly i hope they stop with these "spectator stages" such as Walters Area. I was there in 2008 and it was crowded and had some annoying commentator constantly speaking over the cars.

Too many spectators eh? Mmm, wouldn't be in UK would it? Never used to happen, you would pay £5, park your car and pick your spot. Not now, since being moved to Wales, tickets have come in, huuuge increase in prices, less spectators, but all in a small area, 'specially chosen for your enjoyment' and at huge expense, all with the best facilities,i;e toilets & burger vans. It 's now nothing more than a cash cow - sod the fans! If you don't get a spot an hour before 1st car you won't see anything, you end up standing behind a load of people, how great!
If they really put the speccies first they would have more than one entrance to a stage, more than 1 'viewing area', etc But that is no longer going to happen.

Vatanen
23rd March 2009, 14:07
How about bringing ITV sport presenter Steve Rider. He did brilliant work with the Old RAC in BBC.

AndyRAC
27th March 2009, 07:57
How about bringing ITV sport presenter Steve Rider. He did brilliant work with the Old RAC in BBC.

He did, and also BTCC coverage - which is what he is doing this year. Every race live on ITV4 - that's over 3 hours of coverage per meeting. And remember, it's just a National racing series. The WRC would kill for just 1 hour on a recognised station.

SchUMine
27th March 2009, 08:12
they could broadcast it LIVE on the interweb/website!!!

Great idea!

Sulland
23rd January 2010, 17:58
Has any info leaked if there will be any changes in the TV coverage of WRC in 2010 ?

Will North One evolve the show ? Not much info to be found here I am sorry to report; http://www.northonetv.com/

Langdale Forest
23rd January 2010, 18:01
Anytthing is better than the Dave coverage we have had for the last two years.

Simmi
23rd January 2010, 18:55
I honestly think they need to try and go down the internet route if they are going to do live stuff. They lost Eurosport which was a great platform. But just think how many more people could feasibly watch the action on the internet. Especially all the poor suckers at work.

Maybe when they have a decent product they can take it to tv stations with reach - or if Eurosport one day has to merge, sell or dispand the IRC.

Sulland
23rd January 2010, 19:12
I honestly think they need to try and go down the internet route if they are going to do live stuff. They lost Eurosport which was a great platform. But just think how many more people could feasibly watch the action on the internet. Especially all the poor suckers at work.

Maybe when they have a decent product they can take it to tv stations with reach - or if Eurosport one day has to merge, sell or dispand the IRC.

I agree, that is the cheapest way of getting it out to most of the world. The streaming tech has become very good, with most of us having broadband connections.

Simmi
23rd January 2010, 19:28
I agree, that is the cheapest way of getting it out to most of the world. The streaming tech has become very good, with most of us having broadband connections.

Although it isn't the ideal scenario, a lot of people would be prepared to pay a subscription if we knew we would get quality coverage. I know I certainly would. They could use that to generate income if they needed to.

But a free service would open the WRC up to many many millions. North One should be putting money into this instead of online videogame type stuff. Especially after Eurosport just upped the stakes this week.

Tomi
23rd January 2010, 19:59
Especially after Eurosport just upped the stakes this week.

You mean for this week, the prince will not pay the other ones, only Monte.

cali
23rd January 2010, 20:09
Show more driving and I hope they do not show some irrelevant things - less BS, more action. Also i would like to see footage and comments from drivers from position 10+, more information about other classes etc.

But i think it is too much asked :D

Simmi
23rd January 2010, 21:10
You mean for this week, the prince will not pay the other ones, only Monte.

Yeah very true. They have shown what can be done, but money does not grow on trees. Their coverage will now be mediocre until probably Ypres.

Sulland
23rd January 2010, 23:11
Although it isn't the ideal scenario, a lot of people would be prepared to pay a subscription if we knew we would get quality coverage. I know I certainly would. They could use that to generate income if they needed to.

But a free service would open the WRC up to many many millions. North One should be putting money into this instead of online videogame type stuff. Especially after Eurosport just upped the stakes this week.

Yes I think so as well, but the first thing they should do is to kill off the video part on WRC.com that start automatically - that irritates the hell out of me !!

Camelopard
24th January 2010, 00:24
Yes I think so as well, but the first thing they should do is to kill off the video part on WRC.com that start automatically - that irritates the hell out of me !!

If you use firefox you can use flashmute to stop this. You still have the option to watch it if you want to.

http://www.indev.no/?p=projects

It can work on most browsers apparently.

I use it without problems with firefox.

tmx
24th January 2010, 06:23
Yes I think so as well, but the first thing they should do is to kill off the video part on WRC.com that start automatically - that irritates the hell out of me !! I don't go to that site beside on rally days for the splits as they never have any real news and obviously can't post news about non-WRC related such as IRC.

I have no idea what so ever. But I liked the WRC coverage of the 90s... Probably because the coverages had better commentators... than Paul King. (Among others things such as actual competition.) I particularly enjoy the commentator from 1991 season review.

Motorsportfun
24th January 2010, 13:39
I have many ideas in my head for a better WRC coverage all season long.

1) The opening titles must be not longer than 15 seconds (something like F1 or this year's IRC).

2) The shakedown could be broadcasted LIVE on Thursday to give the starting order.

3) One stage from every loop must be produced LIVE, available for all interested broadcasters about it. They must be precedeed by 3-4 minutes of highlights from the previous stages.

4) The final stage and the podium must be broadcasted LIVE, then also a quick unilateral interview to conclude the event. In order to give the possibility to do it, the last stage must be not too much long (15-20 km) and relatively near to the Service Park and the Rally HQ.

What do u think about it?

The 1h review is quite good, with interesting technical features, etc. and also the pre-event magazine. For them I think there are no problems.

Tomi
24th January 2010, 13:48
I have many ideas in my head for a better WRC coverage all season long.

1) The opening titles must be not longer than 15 seconds (something like F1 or this year's IRC).

2) The shakedown could be broadcasted LIVE on Thursday to give the starting order.

3) One stage from every loop must be produced LIVE, available for all interested broadcasters about it. They must be precedeed by 3-4 minutes of highlights from the previous stages.

4) The final stage and the podium must be broadcasted LIVE, then also a quick unilateral interview to conclude the event. In order to give the possibility to do it, the last stage must be not too much long (15-20 km) and relatively near to the Service Park and the Rally HQ.

What do u think about it?

The 1h review is quite good, with interesting technical features, etc. and also the pre-event magazine. For them I think there are no problems.

2. and 3. and 4. are good and not difficult to arrange either, especially if chooses a repeted stage it could been showed twice live.

WRCfan
25th January 2010, 01:07
I am sure it has been said already in the other pages of this thread but stop showing so much of JUST Seb and Mikko. I hate how they go `and lets catch up with the action further down the field` and show 30 seconds of the rest. THERE ARE MORE THAN 2 CARS ON THE STAGE!

macksrallye
25th January 2010, 04:43
The problem with all Rally coverage of recent times is that they put the story of a single stage over that of the day or event. RALLYING IS NOT ABOUT 1 STAGE.

In all seriousness I think ISC (with current budget & economical restraints) would be better off giving people the live/current info via the internet (Rally Radio & Daily YouTube updates) & focusing on 1 good 1.5hr television program post-event. Let's face it most people have the Internet nowdays so following the event via Rally Radio & YouTube isn't hard. This means rather than rushing the production of a 30min program every day they can put a 10min YouTube clip together & focus on a post-event wrap-up that tells the story of the event in a simular style to the late 90's/early 00's.

Question for those in the know. Do they use the Rally Radio people for the interviews at the ends of stages or their own?

Sulland
25th January 2010, 08:03
Just to inform: ISC has been bought by North One Television - so no more ISC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_One_Television

AndyRAC
25th January 2010, 09:01

Same company though, different name......

.....they need to really pull their finger out this year. Start promoting the sport, and no silly gimmicks.

Simmi
25th January 2010, 17:11
Question for those in the know. Do they use the Rally Radio people for the interviews at the ends of stages or their own?

I dont know whether they are on the payroll or are classed as freelance but Julian Porter and Colin Clarke are the guys and they do both rally radio and the end of stage stuff as seen on the Monte last week. These are the best guys for the job. The Eurosport end of stage people were dross but are obviously multilingual.

Larry_Japan
26th January 2010, 10:04
Originally Posted by macksrallye

I dont know whether they are on the payroll or are classed as freelance but Julian Porter and Colin Clarke are the guys and they do both rally radio and the end of stage stuff as seen on the Monte last week. These are the best guys for the job. The Eurosport end of stage people were dross but are obviously multilingual.

Monte was an exception; on WRC events Julian "The Guru"(...!) is employed by North One as end-of-stage reporter. Colin is employed by Rally Radio. But, despite being entirely independent of each other, they usually co-operate closely with logistics, and Colin piggy-backs Julian's interviews & driver reactions.

Lousada
26th January 2010, 10:49

North One Television or N.O.T.
hmmm :p

JFL
26th January 2010, 11:10
North One Television or N.O.T.
hmmm :p
That's got to be a one man company..

Sulland
26th January 2010, 15:29
Same company though, different name......

.....they need to really pull their finger out this year. Start promoting the sport, and no silly gimmicks.

Yes they have to, otherwise "same shait, different wrapping" ! :D

Langdale Forest
26th January 2010, 17:48
That's got to be a one man company..

It would be if you read N.O.T comments recentley. :rolleyes:

Simmi
26th January 2010, 18:20
It would be if you read N.O.T comments recentley. :rolleyes:

Coming from a man in no position to say anything about posting etiquette.

macksrallye
27th January 2010, 00:54

My point with this is if they just used one guy at each of the finish control's it would free up a few others to create another camera crew, I don't see why they need extra interviewers.

JFL
2nd February 2010, 21:59
It's going to be a new exiting feature on wrc.com this season. It's based on the consept of the reality series Big Brother. They are going to put Ken Block, Kimi, Petter, Matthew Wilson and are beloved friend N.O.T locked up in a trailer for 48hours. It will be a lot of contests, and the last man standing will be a Co-driver for Novikov for one rally..

I can't wait..

Motorsportfun
3rd February 2010, 00:12
And for 2010 WRC fans around the world can expect more WRC coverage with the announcement of a range of new television agreements.
These include five-year deals with MTV3 in Finland and Network 10 and One HD in Australia. Multi-year agreements have also been reached in countries including Italy (RAI), Scandinavia (Viasat), Portugal (Sport TV), France (Orange and Motors TV), the USA (Discovery), China (national and regional broadcasters) and the Middle East (Abu Dhabi TV).
A selection of further new deals for 2010 have been secured in France (TF1 and France Television), Greece (SKAI), South America (Fox Sports), New Zealand (Sky TV), the UK (Dave and S4C) plus global news syndication via Reuters and SNTV. A number of additional agreements will be announced early this year.
Other initiatives planned for 2010 include LIVE coverage from a number of events (starting in Rally Sweden), as well as more aerial coverage from the stages. In 2011, new on-board camera technology and state-of-the-art High Definition TV coverage will be introduced.
A new WRC video game and a re-vamped wrc.com later in the year will provide fans with more opportunities to interact than ever before.
Isn't it good? ;)

Tomi
5th February 2010, 09:02
Its looking like it's going to be a good rally year again :)

A fresh five year sportscasting agreement guarantees more world championships rally than ever earlier to the MTV3 channels.
The spectators' rally experience becomes more complete MTV3 in addition to the TV transmissions on the new net TV wholeness of Katsomo.
From Finnish point of view the interest of the world championships series of the rally will be directed this year in addition to Mikko Hirvonen and Jari-Matti Latvala
in the world championships rally of Ford to Kimi Räikkönen that makes its Citroën debut.
MTV3 MAX and MTV3 Katsomo televises all the 13 events of the season.
MTV3 will launch in the beginning of the season a new rally wholeness of Katsomo will supplement the TV transmissions and offers
more in car picture and more transmissions of competition events of every leg than before among others in the network.
With the renewed TV agreement of MTV3 more world championships rally is now seen in Finland, than anywhere else in the world.
During one event about on average 20 separate TV transmissions can be looked at from the MTV3 channels.
The Finns have been always known as a passionate rally nation but the international interest of the sport is also on the clear increase.
The viewer amount of the legs of the world championships series did rise last season 12% and in the final event of the series
Mikko Hirvonen's and Sébastien Loebi's dulel was followed of about , 61 million spectators worldwide.

Sulland
7th January 2012, 14:47
We have meant something on this subject before!