PDA

View Full Version : GP2 TV coverage

dc10
15th March 2009, 11:07
Does anyone know who will be showing coverage of GP2 2009?

tommy2k8
16th March 2009, 14:39
The bad news is the BBC have said that they're not going to cover GP2 this season.
People say it won't be on ITV4 because the BBC have now got F1, but that doesn't match up, as Eurosport had GP2 at the same time as ITV had F1.
Hopefully, it'll stay on terrestrial

tsarcasm
17th March 2009, 00:20
so does that mean BBC will show F2, did Bernard make them sign a non-competition contract GP2 vs. F2?

tommy2k8
17th March 2009, 08:20
haha! I just read the BBC won't be showing GP2 :-(

ChrisS
17th March 2009, 21:43
so does that mean BBC will show F2, did Bernard make them sign a non-competition contract GP2 vs. F2?

F2 will be on eurosport as part of the wtcc coverage, most of the races will be in hi def.

As far as I know whoever gets the F1 rights get all the support races as options, BBC had the option to pick up GP2 but apparently rejected it so now FOM can sell the rights elsewhere

71minus2
18th March 2009, 20:44
i though setanta had GP2 rights for 09. I hope not as I cant afford it!

tommy2k8
19th March 2009, 08:39
I was very surprised to read that F1 isn't in the 'Crown Jewels' of sport that should be kept on terrestrial TV.
I think the list should include F1, GP2, BTCC and British Superbikes

acescribe
20th March 2009, 23:11
I would expect Eurosport, or at least British Eurosport to carry GP2 coverage seeing as the BBC dont want it.

dc10
11th April 2009, 14:07
Has anybody heard any more news about 2009 coverage on tv of GP2?

Nikki Katz
11th April 2009, 14:29
I don't know, but I'm assuming that as GP2 Asia is on Eurosport that the main series will be too.

Eurosport last week managed to schedule their broadcast of the GP2 race for the same time that F1 was on live on the BBC. Clever, huh? Consequently I only saw a little bit of the two races. I did manage to catch D'Ambrosio's overtaking move though, probably the worst bit of driving I've seen in years!

dc10
12th April 2009, 16:46
Haha! yes i caught that bit too
I hope they do show GP2 somewhere - it is interesting to see the progress of possible future F1 drivers.

acescribe
7th May 2009, 14:58
It would seem that Eurosport (British Eurosport) are not.... I cant find it anywhere in any schedules.

MikeD
7th May 2009, 15:19
Try Justin TV on this website tomorrow. I think they will show GP2. It's easy and you just click on the link - no need to install or download anything.

http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports/auto_racing?order=hot&lang=en

Nikki Katz
7th May 2009, 20:56
It's on Setanta. Race 1 isn't live, it's replayed 8AM on Sunday, race 2 is live and follows it.

Hmm, I think I currently have that channel but won't in a couple of weeks. Isn't Setanta in quite a lot of financial trouble anyway? Not certain it'll even be around the whole season!

patnicholls
7th May 2009, 23:44
That's a bugger about it being on Setanta - it's a big ask to splash out for GP2 when it's not likely to be high on the priority list and obviously isn't live from Nikki's post above.

Hmmmm, it may be that certain internet links need to be clicked...

acescribe
8th May 2009, 12:16
Hmmmm, it may be that certain internet links need to be clicked...

Indeed. I cant and wont pay out for Setanta!

MikeD
9th May 2009, 09:51
Justin TV will show the sprint-race on Sunday, but most likely delayed. When I know the exate time I will get back.

http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports/auto_racing?order=hot&lang=en[/quote]

elis
9th May 2009, 11:04
I guess 'they' don't want people to watch GP2. I've followed this series both trackside & on tv, but primarily via tv, since it's F3000 days, but now it seems that run is coming to an end. I can't pay extra for Setanta simply for GP2, & GP2 which isn't even live.

I appreciate the benefits of Justin TV, & will try to follow the series with what they provide... but really, for the alleged top ladder series for F1 you'd think someone would actually be making sure it's available to the widest market possible.

Meh. Miffed.

Nikki Katz
9th May 2009, 15:22
It's on http://www.justin.tv/dimoni right now, but it's not in English :(

Nikki Katz
9th June 2009, 22:24
The Setanta coverage is pretty *ahem* rubbish. At the weekend the commentators complained about the Turkish director for not showing the pass for third place. But he blummin did, they just weren't paying attention!

It does sound like Setanta will fold within a few weeks though, wonder what'll happen to broadcast here then.

jonny hurlock
9th June 2009, 23:26
The Setanta coverage is pretty *ahem* rubbish. At the weekend the commentators complained about the Turkish director for not showing the pass for third place. But he blummin did, they just weren't paying attention!

It does sound like Setanta will fold within a few weeks though, wonder what'll happen to broadcast here then.

I hope they put on eurosport better off there

Nikki Katz
19th June 2009, 19:13
It would be nice if it didn't go bust before the coverage can be given to another channel though, I know that the races are tomorrow and Sunday, but I'm not certain Setanta will last that long!

I'm posting here because really the less I can think about F1 at the moment the better.

Nikki Katz
20th June 2009, 18:44
Hang on, did Valerio just win a feature race??? And when someone in the top 8 is handed a penalty for no real reason (there have been a lot of these lately) then Herck will be on pole? Hmm...

MikeD
21st June 2009, 23:47
Hang on, did Valerio just win a feature race??? And when someone in the top 8 is handed a penalty for no real reason (there have been a lot of these lately) then Herck will be on pole? Hmm...

I think the whole GP2 paddock was in shock when it became clear that Valerio had won a feature-race. It seems that Piquet GP can make "poor" drivers into winners (refering to Nunes who won two feature-races in GP2 Asia but now has 0 points with iSport)

Nikki Katz
23rd June 2009, 20:40
Ah, Setanta's gone now. Hmm, well they've got 3 weeks to find another broadcaster. Hope they get one!

elis
24th June 2009, 13:09
Ah, Setanta's gone now. Hmm, well they've got 3 weeks to find another broadcaster. Hope they get one!

Indeed, let's hope it's one that more people can get without having to resort to secret undercover, covert means! *shifty side-to-side eyes* http://planetsmilies.net/winking-smiley-17138.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Dave B
7th July 2009, 14:54
Good news!

GP2 will be on British Eurosport for the rest of this season and the following two.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07072009/58/british-eurosport-secures-gp2.html

:D

Nikki Katz
7th July 2009, 19:04
Thank flip for that! I wasn't a huge fan of the ITV coverage, but the Setanta coverage was dire. The race that I watched on the internet in Portuguese was better, and I don't speak a word of that!

DPR seem to be sorting themselves out a bit now and are fielding Perera. Trident seem intent on taking their place at the back though, as Rigon's left to defend his Superleague title, and he's replaced by Gonzalez, who wasn't great in GP2 Asia and will presumably be completely out of his depth in the main series.

MikeD
8th July 2009, 08:38
Good news!

GP2 will be on British Eurosport for the rest of this season and the following two.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07072009/58/british-eurosport-secures-gp2.html

:D

Does that mean it will not be on Eurosport in the rest of Europe?

Helicon_One
8th July 2009, 17:33
Does that mean it will not be on Eurosport in the rest of Europe?

British Eurosport have picked up the rights because the previous UK broadcasters, Setanta Sports, have gone bankrupt. There's no reason that the broadcasters would change in the other nations - I'm guessing that Setanta held the rights for Ireland too so there may be a change there (does British Eurosport broadcast in the Republic?) but otherwise expect business as usual with whoever holds the broadcast rights at present.

patnicholls
9th July 2009, 01:03
Thumbs up for Eurosport for rescuing the coverage, I'll be able to watch the races again now after missing all of this season so far.

Also good one on the signing of Franck Perera by DPR.

motorsportsfan1
20th September 2009, 12:36
you can watch Gp2 Portugal Race 2 , live broadcast on www.p2pstation.net (http://www.p2pstation.net) ;)