View Full Version : Return of the French GP

Sonic
12th March 2009, 21:10
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73683

Anyone got a track plan?

Sonic
12th March 2009, 21:16
Never mind......

http://www.wilmotte.fr/uk/realisations/detail.php?project=402&type=&keywords=&continent

Sonic
12th March 2009, 21:21
First impression not too good.

Not to much in the way of gradient change by the looks of it, plus the main overtaking spot has the same problem of Mangy Cours - a huge braking zone led into by a very long sweeping righthander.

Hopefully the pictures are misleading and its going to be a decent track - France needs to be on the calender.

Tazio
12th March 2009, 23:47
- France needs to be on the calender.

Je conviens ! ;)

CzV7fyJATDs&feature=related

ShiftingGears
13th March 2009, 00:38
Wheres the undulations?

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2009, 03:22
Thug..there isn't any. Imagination in race course design seems to be limited to engineered to death snore fests. You look at Spa or a street course and you see cars being forced to go places they don't want to go in a natural fashion. All the new circuits, whether they are done by Tilke or anyone else seem to be all the same. Computer generated go-kart tracks.

The fact that the French are going through this crap is nonsense to start. Magny Cours was supposed to be the state of the art facility wise and now Bernie says it isnt up to snuff. He takes away the USGP and Canadian GP because basically he hasn't gotten enough gelt from either nation to keep the GP's there. He takes off from Magny Cours because it doesn't meet his "standard" while they moved it there from Paul Ricard saying it was too far in the bushes and the facilities were substandard. At some point, shouldn't someone tell Bernie to shut the hell up and go count his money?

I am tired of seeing GP's moved to sanitary boring circuits. This one is more of the same. It is one I only pay minor attention to F1 whereas I used to be very tuned into the WDC. Enough already....put decent facilities in a classic French circuit and run a French GP. How can you have the F1 world championship without a French GP? Stupide as the French would say.....

Tazio
16th March 2009, 03:49
Thug..there isn't any. Imagination in race course design seems to be limited to engineered to death snore fests. You look at Spa or a street course and you see cars being forced to go places they don't want to go in a natural fashion. All the new circuits, whether they are done by Tilke or anyone else seem to be all the same. Computer generated go-kart tracks.

The fact that the French are going through this crap is nonsense to start. Magny Cours was supposed to be the state of the art facility wise and now Bernie says it isnt up to snuff. He takes away the USGP and Canadian GP because basically he hasn't gotten enough gelt from either nation to keep the GP's there. He takes off from Magny Cours because it doesn't meet his "standard" while they moved it there from Paul Ricard saying it was too far in the bushes and the facilities were substandard. At some point, shouldn't someone tell Bernie to shut the hell up and go count his money?
I am tired of seeing GP's moved to sanitary boring circuits. This one is more of the same. It is one I only pay minor attention to F1 whereas I used to be very tuned into the WDC. Enough already....put decent facilities in a classic French circuit and run a French GP. How can you have the F1 world championship without a French GP? Stupide as the French would say.....I seem to be the only person on this forum that doesn't have an objection to Magny-Cours :confused: I understand it's in the middle of nowhere, and doesn’t have altitude undulation, It's not the easiest track to pass on, there are opportunities however why look a gift horse in the mouth It has a quick in and out pit. Whoever watched the French Gp where Mike beat Fred with Brawn improvising a 4 stop strategy, and to top it off Rubins passes Trulli on the last turn of the last lap to get a podium has to appreciate the damn thing. BFD just use the track it's better than some, worse than others, But it is legit.

UltimateDanGTR
16th March 2009, 07:27
Im actually impressed by the track layout of this new place. I know its flat but some of the corners look intresting, and I like the idea of the lakes there aswell.

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2009, 17:18
I seem to be the only person on this forum that doesn't have an objection to Magny-Cours :confused: I understand it's in the middle of nowhere, and doesn’t have altitude undulation, It's not the easiest track to pass on, there are opportunities however why look a gift horse in the mouth It has a quick in and out pit. Whoever watched the French Gp where Mike beat Fred with Brawn improvising a 4 stop strategy, and to top it off Rubins passes Trulli on the last turn of the last lap to get a podium has to appreciate the damn thing. BFD just use the track it's better than some, worse than others, But it is legit.

I warmed to the track a little over the years but I compare most modern f1 tracks to layouts such as Spa, or classic circuits like Watkins Glen, Silverstone before the trick corners were added and the uniqueness disappaears. I don't mind all modern circuits. Silverstone with the modifications is a pretty interesting track. Montreal I liked. I like Hockenheim even tho the flat out version was fun. Monza they haven't butchered too badly but most of the modern circuits such as China, Turkey, Barcelona and this proposed abortion of a track are just souless.

Sonic
16th March 2009, 19:57
I warmed to the track a little over the years but I compare most modern f1 tracks to layouts such as Spa, or classic circuits like Watkins Glen, Silverstone before the trick corners were added and the uniqueness disappaears. I don't mind all modern circuits. Silverstone with the modifications is a pretty interesting track. Montreal I liked. I like Hockenheim even tho the flat out version was fun. Monza they haven't butchered too badly but most of the modern circuits such as China, Turkey, Barcelona and this proposed abortion of a track are just souless.

I think we all warmed to it as even more modern, snooker table smooth tracks appeared. I remember as a kid watching it in about '92 and thinking 'what a dull track' (which compared to almost every other track in '92 it was) but in recent years even the limited undulations at Mangy-cours are more impressive than the bore-fest that is China etc.

veeten
16th March 2009, 21:00
A better explanation of the pros & cons of this new track...

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21245.html

Jimmy Magnusson
16th March 2009, 22:59
Well, that looks inspired. Not. Magny-Cours wasn't terribly exciting, but could have been improved if they'd removed the two "infield" chicanes. Not that it will ever be anything special, but still. Paul Ricard wasn't a terribly exciting track, and the Bugatti course at Le Mans isn't good enough layout wise right now. If that could be changed (extending the final straight a bit down towards Maison Blanche would be a start), Le Mans would certainly be my pick for the GP.

wedge
17th March 2009, 00:22
Magny Cours I have a soft spot for, even though the racing can be very dull in real life.

Estoril is a fantastic high speed corner, Adelaide is the best spot for overtaking and the Imola chicane is hugely under-rated from a fans' POV - its like a minuscule version of Eau Rouge.

Also I used to love the final Lycee section. Very technical and tricky Mickey Mouse section - really enjoyed it on computer games because you could make up a bit of time nailed it right.

nigelred5
17th March 2009, 12:39
I want to know when the promoters are going to stop beating around hte bush and demand Bernie starts cutting costs. They are making drastic cost cutting changes for the teams to remain, When the hell are they goig to address the real issue with these tracks?? Bernie is guilty of outright extortion, ESPECIALLY in this economy. We wouldn't even be talking about replacing tracks like Magny Cour, silverstone, Hochenheim, Montreal, Nurburgring, etc.... There's nothing wrong with any of those tracks, they simply can't pay Bernie's ransome, and they have allowed the performance of the cars to outpace the tracks. They made changes in the cars, but IMHO, they haven't touched the real problem- Bernie's budget.

Tazio
17th March 2009, 12:52
I want to know when the promoters are going to stop beating around hte bush and demand Bernie starts cutting costs. They are making drastic cost cutting changes for the teams to remain, When the hell are they goig to address the real issue with these tracks?? Bernie is guilty of outright extortion, ESPECIALLY in this economy. We wouldn't even be talking about replacing tracks like Magny Cour, silverstone, Hochenheim, Montreal, Nurburgring, etc.... There's nothing wrong with any of those tracks, they simply can't pay Bernie's ransome, and they have allowed the performance of the cars to outpace the tracks. They made changes in the cars, but IMHO, they haven't touched the real problem- Bernie's budget.Right on Bro! :p :

There's nothing wrong with any of those tracks, they simply can't pay Bernie's ransome, Especially this part! There is brain washing that has been going on in regard to sports facilities in general. When the city wasn't willing to cough up the $ for "Petco Park" proponents were saying the players deserve the nicer facility. I happen to know for a fact that all base ball players care about in terms of a suitable facility is good lighting and a smooth well maintained infield! It now cost $55 for decent seat at a Padre game!

Knock-on
17th March 2009, 13:26
Bernie's already trying to wiggle out of the Donny deal. If they slip a mm he will use it as an excuse to can the British GP :(