PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best engine?

Brown, Jon Brow
11th March 2009, 16:36
Who's engines are generally considered to be the best?

It would seem clear that the performance of the Torro Rosso over the Red Bull last year showed us that the Ferrari unit is better than Renaults. But BrawnGP took Mercedes over Ferrari..(or was this due more to the engine fitting the chassis better?)

I also heard somewhere that the Mercedes engine had over 60bhp more than the Honda from last year. This was surprising as a few years ago everyone was raving about how powerful the Honda and the BMW engines were.

Anyone?

Tazio
11th March 2009, 16:44
Bugatti/Volkswagen Veyron V16 :)

Brown, Jon Brow
11th March 2009, 16:47
http://nymeria87.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/facepalm1.jpg

Knock-on
11th March 2009, 16:50
I think the Ferrari and BMW units are pretty much on top with the rest a fraction behind.

Valve Bounce
12th March 2009, 02:12
Toyota?

12th March 2009, 04:24
The Mercedes, the one in Button"s car so he can have a good shot at the championship. Don't fall off your chairs you lot, a girl can dream.

leopard
12th March 2009, 04:41
http://nymeria87.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/facepalm1.jpg

It is not a facepalm, he can see females in between of his finger. :)

ioan
12th March 2009, 08:52
It is not a facepalm, he can see females in between of his finger. :)

:rotflmao:

Ranger
12th March 2009, 09:00
Bugatti/Volkswagen Veyron V16 :)

It's a W16, jeez Taz! :p :

jens
12th March 2009, 15:34
Arguably Renault and Honda had dropped behind others a bit last year (due to taking the freezing rules too strictly unlike others), but since Renault has been allowed to improve its engine for this year a bit and Honda is out of F1, I guess there is almost nothing to choose between the engines power-wise, so everyone has the best engine. ;) Another question is reliability, but the level of it is nowadays very high too.

f1kid1987
12th March 2009, 17:30
The Mercedes, the one in Button"s car so he can have a good shot at the championship. Don't fall off your chairs you lot, a girl can dream.

i agree, i take it that the mclearn has the same engine

Sleeper
12th March 2009, 17:37
I'd say the Ferrari and Mercedes are the class of the field with the rest right behind, with the possible exception of the Renault which has been modified and we'll have to wait and see how much improvment has been made. Overall though, I dont think there's a lot of difference performance wise between the engines.

jjanicke
13th March 2009, 00:49
All engines being fairly similar probably isn't far off. So let's look at it from that scale. We have Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota and Renault power plants.

Mercedes seems to be very strong with massive improvements from RBGP and FI no doubt partly due to the power train. Then TR crushed STR last year. Renault have had a chance for parity but still are unproven.

I believe the lineup goes:

Ferrari/Mercedes
BMW
Toyota
Renault

with a very small gap between steps. KERS will be the big 'upsetter' this season.