PDA

View Full Version : Australian GP discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2

Valve Bounce
11th March 2009, 00:45
I just thought I'd kick off the season by leading up with the AGP. This will be a very interesting season with some teams improving: I predict most notably Toyota and Red Bull :up: . I have very little fear I will be wrong as I made the most notable prediction of the greatest improvement one year: Jaguar. :D

We will see more of Vettel and Glock, and hopefully Mark Webber on the podium this year. Notable absentees will be bunsen and brawn.

We have new aero, tyres and kers and whichever team that can sort out their cars will have a distinct advantage over the others. No prizes for guessing Ferrari and Macs.

So!! over to you.

Oh yes!! We have the first twilight meeting in F1 and the cars will start the race by blasting off the grid directly into a setting sun. :eek:

Tazio
11th March 2009, 06:35
First things first Valve!!
We need to do a feasibility study of the likelihood absconding BBC live net feeds of the races.
I want to get Donk's, Jens, and Aussi Rev' busy on this project ASAP
I mean it !! :)

ioan
11th March 2009, 07:13
You jumped the gun only by 2 weeks. Not sure if it's a record, but it might just be one. :p :

Valve Bounce
11th March 2009, 09:11
First things first Valve!!
We need to do a feasibility study of the likelihood absconding BBC live net feeds of the races.
I want to get Donk's, Jens, and Aussi Rev' busy on this project ASAP
I mean it !! :)

All I can say is that you have to log onto pino's chat room and see whether the guys there have worked anything out.

You probably won't get anything from us here in Oz because we will be getting the live feed for the race day here.

pino
11th March 2009, 09:34
Look forward for Melbourne and I've already set my alarm on for that morning :p :

Mark
11th March 2009, 09:39
Look forward for Melbourne and I've already set my alarm on for that morning :p :

Your alarm can be set that far in advance? Impressive :p

pino
11th March 2009, 09:46
Your alarm can be set that far in advance? Impressive :p

Was talking about my head-alarm :p :

I am evil Homer
11th March 2009, 09:48
Looking forward to BBC coverage and all the options available via the digital feed...whether they work or not is to be seen but at least they seem to be bothering.

Mark
11th March 2009, 11:05
Was talking about my head-alarm :p :

An alarm in your head :crazy: . Being woken up by the radio is bad enough :p

Tazio
11th March 2009, 11:25
You probably won't get anything from us here in Oz because we will be getting the live feed for the race day here. On the internet?

Valve Bounce
11th March 2009, 11:32
On the internet?

On the telly.

CNR
11th March 2009, 11:34
The race will be 3 hours later this year
http://www.grandprix.com.au/default.aspx?s=daily_event_programme

Tazio
11th March 2009, 11:48
On the telly.Thanks Valve! I can watch it on speedtv but they run about a 10 minute delay,
thus ruining it for pino's chatroom participation. Maybe this year they will actually, and truely show it live!

Knock-on
11th March 2009, 14:14
Notable absentees will be bunsen and brawn.

I think you're wrong ald fruit (well, there's a shocker).

Brawn GP will turn heads this year.

Come on, what's the bet?

SGWilko
11th March 2009, 15:14
An alarm in your head :crazy: .

Isn't that Tinitis?

CNR
11th March 2009, 21:46

Come on, what's the bet?

you may be right there remember this is the first new car design under brawn

Ross Brawn is to join Honda where he will take up the position of Team Principal with full responsibility for designing, manufacturing, engineering and racing Honda's Formula One car. Ross will work alongside Nick Fry who continues as Chief Executive of the team. This appointment reaffirms Honda's absolute commitment to success in F1.

http://www.thescuderia.net/rossbrawn.shtml

Ferrari's Technical Director Ross Brawn has been a major influence on the resurgence of the Ferrari team. Brawn is the brains behind the driving of Schumacher and their partnership has brought Ferrari success once again.Ross Brawn is one of the reasons why Ferrari are back on top and winning titles. Ross in his role as Technical Director co-ordinates the development of the current Ferrari F1 car.

The development of the car is Brawn's day to day role within the team but he is better known for his strategic decisions he makes from the pit wall. Brawn can take the credit for many victories due to his quick thinking and flexible strategies. Although he often changes a strategy he has already planned them out and Ross has a solution for almost every scenario the race can throw up.

Ross Brawn arrived at Maranello in 1996 from the Benetton team. Brawn had always shown an interest in engineering and how things were built as he grew up in Manchester. He was particularly interested in Motorsport and the construction of high performance cars and in 1976 he was working for the Williams team as part of their Research and Development team.

His talents were soon spotted by the team, who then assigned him to work on the team's new wind tunnel. This project was a great success for Williams. Ross was with the Williams team for 8 years in that time he gained valuable experience in all aspects of the designing and construction of a Grand Prix car. Ross left Williams to take the role of Chief Aerodynamicist at the Force team, 3 years later and Brawn was on the move again to Arrows.

CNR
11th March 2009, 22:06
i think that the brawn f1 car will be the best (Jenson Button (GBR) Renault 1min 19.127sec (130 laps)
) :s mokin: :confused: 2 engines

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25175017-23210,00.html

That was more than one second faster than the next best time clocked by Ferrari's Felipe Massa and is all the more noteworthy considering Brawn GP was only formed last Friday.

Valve Bounce
12th March 2009, 02:10

Come on, what's the bet?

I'm on Mark!! winner chooses the sig for the next two races.

leopard
12th March 2009, 04:26
The race will be 3 hours later this year
http://www.grandprix.com.au/default.aspx?s=daily_event_programme
I think there are too much additional events held before the main race.

Can the Aussies skip the lunch and take a late dinner?... The main race could be an anticlimax after watching marathon of exhibition races, imo.

leopard
12th March 2009, 04:31
Actually you can sleep late at night before, have a long nap the day after, and awake all night in the racing day.

Such alarm may not work properly, it may wake you up when the race already finished, great regret. Don't be so sure... :)

Mark in Oshawa
12th March 2009, 05:17
A dusk race into the night? About time....god knows watching these guys fade in that heat stroke inducing climate that is late summer in Melbourne kind of was a bit much. I look forward to this race every year, terrific track, first race of the season, always interesting. If only all GP's were this good...

Valve Bounce
12th March 2009, 07:48
A dusk race into the night? About time....god knows watching these guys fade in that heat stroke inducing climate that is late summer in Melbourne kind of was a bit much. I look forward to this race every year, terrific track, first race of the season, always interesting. If only all GP's were this good...

I think this year's race will be in cool conditions, as it is two weeks later than last year's heat conditions. What worries me is the start into the setting sun, and each time the guys go along the main straight, they will drive into a blinding sunset - something which has not been experienced before in F1.

Tazio
12th March 2009, 16:47
WEBBER QUICKEST TEAM-MATE NICK HAS EVER PARTNERED WITH :eek:

During his near-decade in the top flight, the experienced German has partnered – in chronological order – Jean Alesi at Prost Grand Prix, Kimi Raikkonen, Felipe Massa and Heinz-Harald Frentzen at Sauber, Giorgio Pantano and Timo Glock at Jordan, Mark Webber at Williams and Jacques Villeneuve and, currently, Robert Kubica at BMW-Sauber

"I'm pretty sure that Mark Webber has been the quickest team-mate I've had so far"
http://www.crash.net/formula+one/news/143932/1/heidfeld_my_quickest_f1_team-mate_not_kubica_or_kimi.html

jens
12th March 2009, 16:51
. I have very little fear I will be wrong as I made the most notable prediction of the greatest improvement one year: Jaguar. :D

Was this prediction made before or after winter tests? :p :

Valve Bounce
13th March 2009, 05:46
Was this prediction made before or after winter tests? :p :

During :(

leopard
13th March 2009, 09:40
Racing beneath twilight is awesome, what is the latest weather forecast in Melbourne, if it rains the race may take time longer or any other incident occurred that force the race postponed. Without the proper lighting equipped, this worries me too...

V12
13th March 2009, 11:38
I'm really looking forward to it now, the return of The Chain, what could be the last proper F1 year before standardisation really takes hold, so hopefully it will be a good year.

How are the European-based forum members here going to do the traditional all-nighters though? For some reason the retards in charge have moved it later (should have made it earlier if anything!), so it's like starting at 6am or something, oh well extra Lucozade/Pro Plus/coffee etc required I guess. Last year's race was hard enough with it being slightly later (but not as late as this year), I ended up falling asleep and missing it altogether!

555-04Q2
13th March 2009, 14:51
Who from our Auzzie friends are attending this years OZ GP :?:

woody2goody
14th March 2009, 03:56
Looking forward to 'The Australian' as usual this year, however I'm more excited about this season than any one before it.

I'm going for Force India and Williams to surprise people,

McLaren and Renault to disappoint,

And for the championship: I would love BMW to win it, but to be honest I can't look past Ferrari. I think they will be given a run for their money, and that the overall standings will be very close, but I think the Scuderia will come through, at least with the Constructors'.

However you would need to be brave to call the World Champion driver this year. I think it has to be between the Ferrari drivers, Heidfeld, maybe Trulli if he can string it together, and depending on development Button or Barrichello could be in there too.

To be honest the only people I will write off for the title are Force India, Kovalainen, Buemi, Renault and Nakajima. That's how close it will be IMO.

call_me_andrew
14th March 2009, 04:45
I don't like this later time. The race just went from late night to early morning for me.

Tazio
14th March 2009, 05:57
I'm really looking forward to it now, the return of The Chain, what could be the last proper F1 year before standardisation really takes hold, so hopefully it will be a good year.

How are the European-based forum members here going to do the traditional all-nighters though? For some reason the retards in charge have moved it later (should have made it earlier if anything!), so it's like starting at 6am or something, oh well extra Lucozade/Pro Plus/coffee etc required I guess.
The real men are the Canadians and us Yanks that watch all the races live.
You guys have gone soft! As Arnold would say, "Don't be girly men" :p :

pino
14th March 2009, 06:56
How are the European-based forum members here going to do the traditional all-nighters though?

I've never had issues with night races, and never will, and I don't even need to set any alarm to wake up in the middle of the night to watch a race.That's what a truly F1 fans does ;)

555-04Q2
16th March 2009, 10:10
I've never had issues with night races, and never will, and I don't even need to set any alarm to wake up in the middle of the night to watch a race.That's what a truly F1 fans does ;)

I agree. I love waking up early to watch a GP and have a champagne breakfast or invite friends around for a braai and GP.

Knock-on
16th March 2009, 10:26
Trouble is, it's cold at 03:00 and your stomach feels empty.

Still, brekky and a cup of tea normally sorts it out :D

I'll be there as per normal.

Tazio
16th March 2009, 11:26
I don't like this later time. The race just went from late night to early morning for me.It went from pime time to late night for me
Sorrrrry :laugh:

Must enjoy these rare occasions ;)

V12
16th March 2009, 15:05
:s hock: So do some people actually wake themselves up for the race rather than stay up? Given that I have to deal with that crap (getting up early) on weekdays, I think I'll do my usual thing of staying up then going sleep after the race, even if it is going to be even harder this year?

SGWilko
16th March 2009, 15:31
:s hock: So do some people actually wake themselves up for the race

If I knew how to watch it while sleeping soundly........... ;)

Psycho!
16th March 2009, 16:14
I agree. I love waking up early to watch a GP and have a champagne breakfast or invite friends around for a braai and GP.
We share exactly the same emotions...However it's a bit difficult to afford the stress before the start and till the first corner.... ;)

Tazio
16th March 2009, 16:29
:s hock: So do some people actually wake themselves up for the race rather than stay up? Given that I have to deal with that crap (getting up early) on weekdays, I think I'll do my usual thing of staying up then going sleep after the race, even if it is going to be even harder this year?What ever flips your pancake Bro

Sleeper
16th March 2009, 17:00

How are the European-based forum members here going to do the traditional all-nighters though? For some reason the retards in charge have moved it later (should have made it earlier if anything!), so it's like starting at 6am or something, oh well extra Lucozade/Pro Plus/coffee etc required I guess. Last year's race was hard enough with it being slightly later (but not as late as this year), I ended up falling asleep and missing it altogether!
I work sundays so I get up early anyway, it looks like I'll just be getting up earlier than usual this time.

ioan
16th March 2009, 19:03
I work sundays so I get up early anyway, it looks like I'll just be getting up earlier than usual this time.

Earlier? I thought the race will be a couple of hours later this year.

Ranger
19th March 2009, 07:12
8 days to go. Sweeet.

555-04Q2
19th March 2009, 10:30
8 days to go. Sweeet.

Yebo Gogo :up: Cant wait :)

raybak
19th March 2009, 11:33
I'll be there. Have my Ferrari pit walk on Saturday. Will be in my usual spot at turn 9 on Sunday. And the best part is that it doesn't cost me a cent.

Ray

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2009, 08:14
Just saw on the news that some cars have arrived - don't know which as they were fully covered. The pit straight grandstand is a lot shorter this year, and it is possible that the race will attract fewer fans than last year - the first sign of the economic downturn.

Again, for those who wish to track the weather conditions live here in Melbourne during the race, use this link: http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/radar/
and click on Melbourne.

UltimateDanGTR
22nd March 2009, 08:36
what time is the australian sunset at this time of year? because the race will finish about 6:40pm your time, I know it wont be quite sunset at the end but how long will it be before sunset?

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2009, 09:20
what time is the australian sunset at this time of year? because the race will finish about 6:40pm your time, I know it wont be quite sunset at the end but how long will it be before sunset?

It started to get dark tonight around 6.55pm. The race is in 7 days time, so there really is very time to spare for a safety car, and if it rained, then there could be problems with darkness.

UltimateDanGTR
22nd March 2009, 10:37
so its possible that a winner could cross the line in the sunset, hmmmm, like the idea of that...............

Valve Bounce
22nd March 2009, 11:41
so its possible that a winner could cross the line in the sunset, hmmmm, like the idea of that...............

For today, sunset was 7.29pm. However, it was overcast and by 7.30 the light was such that cars drove with their headlights on.

So, if the sky is clear, then the cars would be going down the main straight directly into the setting sun for much of the race. If it starts to rain, visibility would be poor towards the end of the race.

So, going back to your quoted post above, the winner would be crossing the line driving directly into the setting sun.

ShiftingGears
22nd March 2009, 12:50
So, going back to your quoted post above, the winner would be crossing the line driving directly into the setting sun.

I'm sure there won't be any complaints from the drivers about that.

UltimateDanGTR
22nd March 2009, 17:57

Cool, cant remember ever seeing something like that before in F1....

aryan
22nd March 2009, 23:11
This is BOM's current forecast:

Forecast for Saturday
Sunny. Winds west to northwesterly averaging up to 25 km/h tending west to
southwesterly during the evening.
Min 11 Max 23

Forecast for Sunday
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds west to southwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending south to southwesterly during the evening.

Min 12 Max 22

In terms of sunlight, right now it gets dark at around 7:45 on a sunny day, and around 7:00 on a cloudy day. The race starts at 5:00, and has a two hour limit anyway, rain or no rain, so I'm sure they will finish before 7:00, which is still bright enough. Yes, they will have to deal with sunset in front of their eyes, but I'm sure they have good visors for that.

woody2goody
23rd March 2009, 00:42
The race starts at 5:00, and has a two hour limit anyway, rain or no rain, so I'm sure they will finish before 7:00, which is still bright enough. Yes, they will have to deal with sunset in front of their eyes, but I'm sure they have good visors for that.

The only way they wouldn't be done by 7 is if there is a red flag and a restart (or multiple restarts).

Big Ben
23rd March 2009, 07:44
I'll be there. Have my Ferrari pit walk on Saturday. Will be in my usual spot at turn 9 on Sunday. And the best part is that it doesn't cost me a cent.

Ray

I hate you

ShiftingGears
23rd March 2009, 08:48
I hate you

:laugh:

23rd March 2009, 09:54
I'll be watching the live broadcast at the really perfect time of 7.00pm N.Z. and I'll record the northern hemisphere races if F1 shapes up to be interesting this year. I watch all the WSBK and Motogp races live and that's enough late night/early hours for me.

ShiftingGears
23rd March 2009, 12:06
I am going to enjoy the grand prix finishing at a reasonable hour when I can.

Valve Bounce
25th March 2009, 01:05
Lewis and Mark Webber are both less than upbeat about their cars. Are they sandbagging or is this for real?

Dank Bank
25th March 2009, 08:11
I don't think Hamilton gets to the podium. I don't think that will become a trend but I don't think McLaren are going to have their act together by Sunday.

I don't think we can say Brawn will be "surprising" anyone anymore, if they can pull off a pole on Saturday and lead the first lap Sunday, they'll be very difficult to beat.

Kimi Räikkönen is going to win the race, I think he may lead almost every lap. I have:

1. Räikkönen
2. Massa
3. Barrichello
4. Alonso
5. Hamilton

Valve Bounce
25th March 2009, 08:19
OK! I did post a warning earlier, but for all the overseas and interstate visitors, may I just say: be aware where you go at night here. Nightclubs are not the safest places in the early hours, not the clubs and not the streets outside. If there is one place I would advise visitors not to go near, it is the QBE Nightclub next to Crown Casino. If you have come from overseas and interstate and would like to have a few drinks, stay within the pubs that seem friendly, and there are many in Melbourne. If there is an altercation, stay well away. Be aware of where not to be.

jens
25th March 2009, 09:55
After a long-long time I saw F1 related-dream again!

For some reason Barcelona was the opening race of the season and it was raining hard. Glock was pulling away into the distance right from the start by 2 secs per lap from the chasers. Trulli was second, he almost went off in one corner, but kept his position, Kubica and Alonso were right behind him. Then the Toyotas pitted and in Turn5 Kubica and Alonso collided while battling for the lead, Toyotas couldn't avoid the wreckages and all four cars retired. Don't remember much more from the race - I think Button was among the leaders and Hamilton has just risen into the points thanks to the misfortune of others. I finally found my internet wire and joined pino's chatroom. :p : Soon after that the dream ended!

555-04Q2
25th March 2009, 09:56
Just a few more days :) I'm getting so excited for the 2009 season that I'm about to p!$$ in my pants :p :

555-04Q2
25th March 2009, 09:59
OK! I did post a warning earlier, but for all the overseas and interstate visitors, may I just say: be aware where you go at night here. Nightclubs are not the safest places in the early hours, not the clubs and not the streets outside. If there is one place I would advise visitors not to go near, it is the QBE Nightclub next to Crown Casino. If you have come from overseas and interstate and would like to have a few drinks, stay within the pubs that seem friendly, and there are many in Melbourne. If there is an altercation, stay well away. Be aware of where not to be.

Being a South African, nothing scares me anymore, least of all a couple of drunk Bruce's being held up by a bar counter :p :

Knock-on
25th March 2009, 10:04

Oh, I don't know.

I've walked (staggered) out of Crown Casino at 5 in the morning with no trouble a couple of times.

In fact, the only problem I ever had was an over enthusiastic bouncer in a pub once that shouted time and whipped my beer a few seconds later. most un-British :laugh:

I love Melbourne. One on my fave cities in the world and as 555 says, a complete picnic compared to many others.

He will tell you about Durban and I wouldn't fancy walking around East London in SA after dark :o

Valve Bounce
25th March 2009, 10:12
Sorry, the name is QBH and not QBE. They have had so much violence there (two persons have been killed there) that te licensing guys are considering taking away their licence. Melbourne may be a picnic compared to others - just be aware that some places may become violet in the early hours very rapidly.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/security-footage-reveals-qbh-brawl-horror-20090323-974e.html

ozrevhead
25th March 2009, 10:32
Just a few more days :) I'm getting so excited for the 2009 season that I'm about to p!$$ in my pants :p :
lol not quite that excitied but so pumped nevertheless

Valve Bounce
25th March 2009, 11:35
Sorry, I thought I posted this link earlier: http://media.theage.com.au/national/national-news/cctv-qbh-nightclub-brawl-429300.html

Just see how quickly the situation deteriorated.

Sleeper
25th March 2009, 13:17
Earlier? I thought the race will be a couple of hours later this year.
I meant earlier for a Sunday in general for me, rather than for an Aussie GP.

jens
25th March 2009, 17:22
http://www.autosport.com/gallery/picture_free.php/dir/2009martest2/image/l_dg0_4926-2

More innovations and winglets. ;)

aryan
25th March 2009, 23:25

Yes, like any other city on this planet :confused:

Only that Melbourne's pubs are actually nicer than most of them.

What's with scaring everyone? Melbourne's pubs and nightclubs are no worse than any other place. Certainly they are better than many others. I'm no fan of Crown, but living in the City, I have time and time again walked the famous King street in early hours of morning, and I'm yet to experience anything other than being refreshed by early morning fresh air and the smiling joggers with the occasional "Hi"s and "G'day"s.

Valve Bounce
26th March 2009, 00:31

What's with scaring everyone? Melbourne's pubs and nightclubs are no worse than any other place. Certainly they are better than many others. I'm no fan of Crown, but living in the City, I have time and time again walked the famous King street in early hours of morning, and I'm yet to experience anything other than being refreshed by early morning fresh air and the smiling joggers with the occasional "Hi"s and "G'day"s.

Have you checked out the link at post #67?

http://media.theage.com.au/national/national-news/cctv-qbh-nightclub-brawl-429300.html

aryan
26th March 2009, 06:22
Have you checked out the link at post #67?

http://media.theage.com.au/national/national-news/cctv-qbh-nightclub-brawl-429300.html

Yes I have Valve. And it's called anecdotal evidence.

Statistics, hard numbers is what I believe in, and when it comes to that, Melbourne's crime rate is usually at the top percentile in the world.

A CCTV footage outside of club, with no context, doesn't change my opinion of this great city.

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2009, 07:58
More innovations and winglets. ;)
Get rid of 'em :mad: :down:

Knock-on
26th March 2009, 08:49

Valve has this real downer on Melbourne for some reason. Perhaps he has had a bit of trouble there or been scared by a random story or whatever.

There will be instances in any city and Melbourne is no different but residents and visitors there have all said it's a great place and a walk in the park compared to most other cities.

Dave B
26th March 2009, 08:55
Valve has this real downer on Melbourne for some reason. Perhaps he has had a bit of trouble there or been scared by a random story or whatever.

There will be instances in any city and Melbourne is no different but residents and visitors there have all said it's a great place and a walk in the park compared to most other cities.
There was a debate on the radio yesterday about whether you'd let your kids walk to school. One guy said it was too dangerous, and the presenter asked him for evidence. "You don't need evidence, you only have to read the papers" was his reasoned reply :\

Knock-on
26th March 2009, 09:03
There was a debate on the radio yesterday about whether you'd let your kids walk to school. One guy said it was too dangerous, and the presenter asked him for evidence. "You don't need evidence, you only have to read the papers" was his reasoned reply :\

PML :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Melbourne

Melbourne has the lowest per capita crime rate of any of the Aus capital cities.

Knock-on
26th March 2009, 09:28
http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi/results/rankings.php

Safest major city in the 27th most peacefull country in the world (UK 49th).

Why am I quivering in my boots :D

Really VB, drop this one. Melbourne has it's louts just as everywhere does but being worried by a few instances is clouding your judgement to the true picture.

Melbourne is a beautiful city with great culture, friendly people and georgous women ;) As with any city, you take precautions to ensure you are safe but there is no reason to be concerned for your wellbeing in Melbourne as long as you are sensible.

However, getting p1ssed up and rolling out of a nightclub into the street at 3 in the morning with a "Mark Webbers a Dag" on the front of a T-Shirt, "Rugby League's played by poofs" on the back and singing Rule Britannia at the top of your voice may earn you a few choice words. :D

Actually, I think I did sing Rule Britannia, wearing an England top and having an arguement about League v Union during the RWC semi-finals a few years ago and ended up haveing a great night with the locals :D

Dave B
26th March 2009, 09:35
Melbourne or Sao Paulo for a night out? Admittedly the British police don't have a great track record when it comes to shooting innocent electricians, but it's nothing compared to the hundreds or people who get shot routinely every year by the corrupt and incompetent force in the Brazillian capital.

aryan
26th March 2009, 13:25
http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi/results/rankings.php

Melbourne is a beautiful city with great culture, friendly people and georgous women ;)
This has all the more meaning coming from a pom to an Aussie :p . I think this sentence has to be set in stone in gold or something ;)

However, getting p1ssed up and rolling out of a nightclub into the street at 3 in the morning with a "Mark Webbers a Dag" on the front of a T-Shirt, "Rugby League's played by poofs"...

Actually, Melburnians would probably agree that Rugby is played by poofs... it is after all, what those uncultivated Sydneysiders play :D

aryan
26th March 2009, 13:27
Melbourne or Sao Paulo for a night out? Admittedly the British police don't have a great track record when it comes to shooting innocent electricians, but it's nothing compared to the hundreds or people who get shot routinely every year by the corrupt and incompetent force in the Brazillian capital.

While I agree with your post and I hate to be a grammar nazi, I just wanted to point out that the capital of Brazil is Brasília and not São Paulo.

Dave B
26th March 2009, 13:41
While I agree with your post and I hate to be a grammar nazi, I just wanted to point out that the capital of Brazil is Brasília and not São Paulo.
Fair point :)

Dave B
26th March 2009, 17:09
Heidfeld learns how to avoid a jump start:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45601000/jpg/_45601604_heidfeld_kangaroo.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7964417.stm

Dave B
26th March 2009, 17:10
Meanwhile Red Bull deny reports of a rift between their drivers:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45602000/jpg/_45602587_webber_vettel_416.jpg

AndyL
26th March 2009, 18:47
Meanwhile Red Bull deny reports of a rift between their drivers:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45602000/jpg/_45602587_webber_vettel_416.jpg

Am I mistaken or does that Red Bull have an illegal diffuser :D
Hope they don't have too many problems with "graining" :D
Fuel probably supplied by Shell :D

I'll get me coat.

OutRun
26th March 2009, 20:04
After cheering for BAR and Honda, it's nice to finally have the potential of Brawn GP to quell the years of bitter disappointment.

Valve Bounce
26th March 2009, 21:45
Cars testing right now - rode past on my bicycle. Can still hear them.

Dave B
27th March 2009, 01:28
Morning everybody :bounce:

FP1 just started, damn it's good to hear F1 cars again, even if I've had to keep the volume down as it's 1:30am where I am. :D

Dave B
27th March 2009, 02:56
Wowee! 1-2 in FP1 for Williams-Toyota, and Brawn 4th and 6th!

These new diffusers pay for themselves :p

Valve Bounce
27th March 2009, 03:12
Reported during the Australian commentary that Branson has cut short his holiday to fly to Australia. I would not be surprised to see Branson's name, or VIRGIN painted on the Brawnsen before Quals tomorrow.

I can imagine that both McLaren and Ferrari will not be pleased about these new diffusers sported on Frank's Tanks or the Brawnsens. But what can they do if the FIA had previously ruled they were legit, and the Stewards now deem them legit also. Can they manufacture new diffusers before Malaysia next weekend?

I can see both Williams and Brawnsens will be in Q3 tomorrow, probably on the pointy end of the grid.

And lastly, I forgot to put my pickems in :bigcry:

tintop
27th March 2009, 03:12
Rosberg
Nakajima
Kimi
RB
Kovalainen
Button
Massa
Glock
Sutil
Alonso
Heidi
Trulli
Kuby
Fisi
Buemi
Hamilton
Webber
Piquet
Seabas
Vettel

gloomyDAY
27th March 2009, 03:20
This is so sweet! Any links to the footage?

ozrevhead
27th March 2009, 03:26
Reported during the Australian commentary that Branson has cut short his holiday to fly to Australia. I would not be surprised to see Branson's name, or VIRGIN painted on the Brawnsen before Quals tomorrow.

I can imagine that both McLaren and Ferrari will not be pleased about these new diffusers sported on Frank's Tanks or the Brawnsens. But what can they do if the FIA had previously ruled they were legit, and the Stewards now deem them legit also. Can they manufacture new diffusers before Malaysia next weekend?

I can see both Williams and Brawnsens will be in Q3 tomorrow, probably on the pointy end of the grid.

And lastly, I forgot to put my pickems in :bigcry:
thats not what they told Redbull when they asked to use them last year!

Tazio
27th March 2009, 03:32
This is so sweet! Any links to the footage?
Dude where were you? It was all over the chat Bra! True dat!

ozrevhead
27th March 2009, 03:41
Dude where were you? It was all over the chat Bra! True dat!
that we were :D

Shifter
27th March 2009, 03:43
I can't make heads or tails out of FP1. Was something up with Lewis or Bourdais? I see Vettel only made a few laps. I guess I'll know more tomorrow when I watch my recording of FP2 (we only get FP2 with highlights of FP1)

Shifter
27th March 2009, 03:44
Come to think of it i'm probably reading into it too much because I'm so anxious.

Tazio
27th March 2009, 03:57
I can't make heads or tails out of FP1. Was something up with Lewis or Bourdais? I see Vettel only made a few laps. I guess I'll know more tomorrow when I watch my recording of FP2 (we only get FP2 with highlights of FP1)Vettle had as Ozzi put it in the chat where us americans can can watch these events.
We share links to pirated broadcasts;
"Vettle had a "gearbox full of neutrals" :) Stoped on track! Webber only had 7 laps
I'm still trying to find out what happened there.
Hamilton was running a one stop strategy :confused:
He will be at least as fast as Kovy, so McLaren are ok!

Tazio
27th March 2009, 03:58
Good stuff from James Allen
http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/03/27/three-commanding-presences/

Valve Bounce
27th March 2009, 04:09
thats not what they told Redbull when they asked to use them last year!

Let me get this straight: Red Bull wanted to use Frank's diffuser? :confused:

gloomyDAY
27th March 2009, 05:22
Round 2. Let's go!

F1boat
27th March 2009, 05:40
So far everything is going according to the testing, so for me the surprise is that no matter how many times people repeat that testing is irrelevant, IMO it gave fairly accurate picture, at least for FP1 :)

F1boat
27th March 2009, 07:14
Same for 2nd test. Interesting that much like last year, Ferrari are slower in FP2.

Dave B
27th March 2009, 07:19
Practice 2:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:26.053 36
2. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:26.157 + 0.104 38
3. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:26.350 + 0.297 42
4. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:26.370 + 0.317 30
5. Button Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:26.374 + 0.321 38
6. Glock Toyota (B) 1:26.443 + 0.390 42
7. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:26.560 + 0.507 33
8. Vettel Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:26.740 + 0.687 19
9. Sutil Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:27.040 + 0.987 29
10. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:27.064 + 1.011 35
11. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:27.204 + 1.151 32
12. Alonso Renault (B) 1:27.232 + 1.179 28
13. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:27.282 + 1.229 32
14. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:27.317 + 1.264 34
15. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:27.398 + 1.345 36
16. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:27.479 + 1.426 36
17. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:27.802 + 1.749 35
18. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:27.813 + 1.760 31
19. Piquet Renault (B) 1:27.828 + 1.775 35
20. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:28.076 + 2.023 33

Hawkmoon
27th March 2009, 07:24
Do people still think McLaren are sandbagging?

The good thing about the Ferraris being slow in FP2 is that the McLarens are even slower! :D

I bet Ron didn't think his guys would be the slowest Merc powered team when he agreed to supply Force India and Brawn.

I think the design teams in places that aren't Williams, Toyota and Brawn are hurriedly drawing up new diffuser designs as we speak.

F1boat
27th March 2009, 07:38
The good thing is that all look very interesting. In the early 90-ies I played a lot of Formula 1 games and there were option, "All the same", in which the order of the teams was random and not connected with the performance of the top teams. Now it looks that it is the same - top teams are very slow and former backmakers are on top!

dj_bytedisaster
27th March 2009, 07:39

The good thing about the Ferraris being slow in FP2 is that the McLarens are even slower! :D

I bet Ron didn't think his guys would be the slowest Merc powered team when he agreed to supply Force India and Brawn.

I think the design teams in places that aren't Williams, Toyota and Brawn are hurriedly drawing up new diffuser designs as we speak.

Well, if history is anything to go by, Ferrari weill get their way and the diffusers of Brawn & Co will be outlawed. Well lets hope that this won't happen. Was nice to see some new teams on the top of the pile, but dang were they having problems :o Some cars were all over the place. Seems like the Bridgestones are made of wood.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2009, 07:43
Did anyone notice that Mark Webber is the only driver who featured among the "dodgy" diffusers?

Dave B
27th March 2009, 07:48

No :\

ShiftingGears
27th March 2009, 07:49
Did anyone notice that Mark Webber is the only driver who featured among the "dodgy" diffusers?

Yes. Though I think theres the best chance of one of the 3 diffuser teams winning on Sunday. I hope its Williams.

RJL25
27th March 2009, 08:04
I put together something based on the first two sessions of the season, basically i assigned points for each car based on 20 points for first, 19 for second, 18 for thrid and so forth through to 1 point for 20th, added them together for the teams and this is the "team order" i came up with. By no means is it very scientific and certainly not necessarily accurate, but I do think it gives us SOME kind of indication of the "new world order" we now face...

P1

1. Williams
2. Ferrari
3. Brawn
4. Toyota
5. Mclaren
6. Force India
7. BMW
8. Renault
9. STR
10. Red Bull - neither car completed many laps due to technical problems

P2

1. Brawn
2. Williams
3. Toyota
4. Red Bull
5. Ferrari
6. Force India
7. BMW
8. Renault
9. Mclaren
10. STR

TV Observations:

For those of you who couldn't watch the telecast like we could in Australia, based on what everyone was doing I beleive practice 2 was far more representative of what the cars where capable of and therefore I would be going more off practice 2 for your "team order".

Diffusers - Very interesting to note that the "diffuser cars" where CLEARLY the three fastest cars.... Of the "non-diffuser cars" Red Bull seems to be the quickest.

Ferrari - They are certainly not slow BUT man those cars look hard to drive! Compared to all the other on boards the Ferrari's seem to be all over the shop with both Massa and Kimi having lots of little off's and moments

Brawn - these cars look the easiest to drive based on the in car camera's, although we never really got to see any in car's of the toyota's, Williams or Red Bulls.....

McLaren - oh dear... seemed ok in P1 but in P2 they seemed very very slow...

Force India - looked sharp! Not any threat of winning the race but good on them I say they seem to have a nice little car!

Hope my post helps out those who couldn't watch the telecast of the first sessions when trying to interperate the results...

ArrowsFA1
27th March 2009, 08:07
What a turn up, and what a refreshing start to the new season.

Williams are back :cool:
McLaren are at the back :eek:
Ferrari are in the middle :s tare:
Brawn are seriously quick :burnout:

This could be very interesting :)

ShiftingGears
27th March 2009, 08:08
Massa did very well not to put that car into the wall. Hamilton also recovered well from a moment he had.

christophulus
27th March 2009, 08:20
Delighted that Williams are back on top, Brawn showing they have genuine pace and the BBC doing a brilliant job on the coverage. (Anyone who missed free practice - they're looping them both all day on the red button)

The order being so unpredictable is fantastic. I certainly won't be risking a bet on who's getting pole tomorrow, half the field are in contention.

I think we can write off McLaren though..

Valve Bounce
27th March 2009, 08:21
Yes. Though I think theres the best chance of one of the 3 diffuser teams winning on Sunday. I hope its Williams.

What about bunsen?

F1boat
27th March 2009, 08:23
What about bunsen?

I think that he might win as I guess that the race might be a bit chaotic.

RJL25
27th March 2009, 08:27
Personally I think Williams are THE quick team, followed closely by Brawn, then Toyota and Red Bull are scrapping for third.

In saying that, NEVER write off Ferrari... I just wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if Massa or Kimi got pole tomorrow even though on today's evidence they aren't quite there pace wise

RJL25
27th March 2009, 08:28
I hope Barrichello wins... would be fantastic (obviously only if Webber can't win... come on man!!)

havk
27th March 2009, 08:33
The good thing is that all look very interesting. In the early 90-ies I played a lot of Formula 1 games and there were option, "All the same", in which the order of the teams was random and not connected with the performance of the top teams. Now it looks that it is the same - top teams are very slow and former backmakers are on top!

Heh I thought the same. And the new cars looks like we are back in 80's ;) It looks like it will be one of the most exciting season in F1. Come back of the slicks, very interesting competition amongst teams, Williams, Brawn and Ferrari on the top and McLaren seems to be slower than Fore India (!!). I'm looking forward to see first race. Luckily the new point system doesn't ruin this season!!

Dr. Krogshöj
27th March 2009, 08:49
Ross Brawn said that everyone is getting used to the eight engines per season rule, so they are running their engines differently on Friday. So these times are not a ver reliable indicator for the rest of the weekend, I expect Ferrari in the top group from Saturday.

However, it's nice to see the most beautiful car on top. Williams had very good one-lap pace during testing so it's hardly a surprise to see Rosberg on top. They were not so strong on longer runs, though. We'll see.

Toyota and BMW front wings still look awful.

F1boat
27th March 2009, 09:06
Heh I thought the same. And the new cars looks like we are back in 80's ;) It looks like it will be one of the most exciting season in F1. Come back of the slicks, very interesting competition amongst teams, Williams, Brawn and Ferrari on the top and McLaren seems to be slower than Fore India (!!). I'm looking forward to see first race. Luckily the new point system doesn't ruin this season!!

The new system won't be introduced for these season :)

AndyRAC
27th March 2009, 09:12
The new system won't be introduced for these season :)

It won't be introduced at all if the FiA have any sense.......(or is that an oxymoron?)

stevie_gerrard
27th March 2009, 10:24
I do my own fantasy formula 1 championship with close friends. Every year, i used to pick Button and he would always fail. I purposely decided not to choose him this year so he would do something decent. Looks like my ploy is paying off :p : GO BUNSEN! :D

Not too surprised with some of the times there, Mclaren are absolutely nowhere at the moment, and that does worry me a lot. The only surprise for me was probably BMW, considering testing seemed to be fairly satisfactory, they seemed to be off the pace a bit.

I havent seen any of the friday practices, so any ideas what the problem was at BMW?

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:26
FP1 was at a time of the day when there is more sun and the track temperatures are optimal, but Quali and Race will take place at the same time as FP2 and even later, so I'll consider FP2 times more meaningful.

Let's take a look at each drivers stints in the final classification order:

1. Rosberg

1 P 16:30:22
2 2:00.759
3 1:35.501
4 1:40.216
5 1:28.597
6 1:34.307
7 1:28.300
8 P 13:51.960
9 1:36.170
10 1:26.624
11 1:26.293
12 1:26.142
13 P 6:36.789
14 1:41.846
15 1:26.053
16 1:39.832
17 1:27.183
18 P 9:05.653
19 1:53.258
20 1:32.413
21 1:28.879
22 1:28.030
23 1:30.291
24 1:28.698
25 P 5:51.610
26 1:51.836
27 1:30.900
28 1:29.358
29 1:30.315
30 1:33.575
31 1:34.366
32 P 7:21.456
33 1:42.061
34 1:36.628
35 1:29.694
36 1:26.411

Fastest lap was the first flying lap of a 5 laps stint. Qualifying stints were fast but longer ones were slow and not consistent

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:31
2. Barrichello

1 P 16:37:32
2 2:19.708
3 1:40.876
4 1:32.780
5 1:29.894
6 1:28.703
7 1:32.927
8 1:28.215
9 P 10:36.651
10 1:52.642
11 1:26.608
12 1:36.059
13 1:26.356
14 1:26.942
15 1:27.818
16 1:31.878
17 1:30.964
18 1:29.992
19 P 9:47.628
20 1:56.645
21 1:28.848
22 1:28.494
23 1:29.287
24 1:28.170
25 1:28.887
26 1:27.205
27 1:27.371
28 1:27.547
29 1:27.711
30 1:28.745
31 P 10:41.018
32 1:43.520
33 1:31.821
34 1:27.281
35 1:30.347
36 1:26.157
37 1:36.000
38 1:30.630

Pace over longer stints looks way more consistent than Rosberg's.

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:36
3. Trulli

1 16:31:48
2 1:32.102
3 1:33.372
4 1:32.976
5 1:29.317
6 P 7:07.091
7 1:45.170
8 1:27.168
9 1:27.050
10 1:26.925
11 P 6:04.278
12 1:48.792
13 1:26.351
14 1:26.350
15 P 7:21.371
16 1:53.729
17 1:29.348
18 1:28.224
19 1:27.933
20 1:27.924
21 1:27.861
22 1:27.457
23 1:28.462
24 1:40.335
25 1:30.796
26 1:28.244
27 P 6:01.849
28 1:45.506
29 1:28.566
30 1:28.716
31 1:29.501
32 1:29.703
33 1:30.667
34 1:31.298
35 1:31.700
36 1:31.092
37 1:33.683
38 P 8:18.262
39 1:44.602
40 1:31.972
41 1:31.351

Fastest lap was the 2nd flying lap of a 4 laps stint (in and out laps included).
Otherwise the times aren't good and it looks like they lose time as the stints progress instead of improving.

Knock-on
27th March 2009, 10:37
Good data ioan

Will be interesting to see if McLaren are just doing longish runs

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:39
4. Webber

1 P 16:30:42
2 1:46.265
3 1:30.662
4 1:43.775
5 1:29.579
6 1:28.899
7 1:34.449
8 1:28.276
9 P 10:07.890
10 1:51.778
11 1:28.313
12 1:32.574
13 1:27.524
14 1:32.801
15 1:27.262
16 1:33.759
17 1:31.492
18 1:27.383
19 P 9:43.857
20 1:48.012
21 1:26.823
22 1:26.370
23 1:26.831
24 1:27.394
25 1:31.593
26 1:27.656
27 P 30:19.127
28 1:41.481
29 1:27.120
30 1:30.678

Fairly consistent times over 8-10 laps stints.

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:41
5. Button

1 P 16:38:44
2 1:47.103
3 1:29.737
4 1:28.691
5 1:28.002
6 1:27.883
7 1:31.601
8 1:27.799
9 P 7:24.618
10 1:58.633
11 1:32.488
12 1:27.931
13 1:27.342
14 1:27.096
15 1:26.763
16 1:26.674
17 1:26.898
18 1:26.864
19 1:27.324
20 1:30.388
21 P 9:44.348
22 1:51.425
23 1:26.374
24 1:33.109
25 1:30.374
26 1:31.819
27 1:30.865
28 1:27.568
29 1:27.501
30 1:28.431
31 P 6:45.218
32 1:45.869
33 1:26.795
34 P 7:10.930
35 1:49.879
36 1:27.856
37 1:32.070
38 1:26.828

His 2nd stint looks consistent, same as Rubens'.

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:45
6. Glock

1 P 16:30:07
2 1:50.095
3 1:31.466
4 1:29.670
5 1:29.889
6 1:29.343
7 1:34.326
8 1:31.260
9 1:28.259
10 P 9:41.820
11 1:44.608
12 1:26.689
13 1:26.443
14 1:26.549
15 P 8:11.161
16 1:50.044
17 1:27.388
18 1:30.549
19 P 2:04.029
20 1:43.887
21 1:28.933
22 1:33.209
23 1:29.362
24 1:28.653
25 1:28.173
26 1:28.532
27 1:33.290
28 1:28.400
29 1:28.456
30 P 8:03.034
31 1:51.728
32 1:30.123
33 1:29.256
34 1:32.865
35 1:29.615
36 1:30.231
37 1:31.746
38 1:32.492
39 P 6:21.227
40 1:48.300
41 1:30.677
42 1:29.481

Fastest lap posted in the 2nd flying lap of 5 laps stint (in and out laps counted), similar to Trulli.
Also similarly slower and non consistent over longer runs.

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:48
7. Nakajima

1 P 16:31:08
2 1:57.678
3 1:31.573
4 1:29.509
5 1:28.888
6 1:28.323
7 P 14:12.533
8 2:04.596
9 1:32.482
10 1:28.735
11 1:28.016
12 1:27.495
13 1:32.618
14 P 7:27.238
15 1:46.621
16 1:26.781
17 1:36.295
18 1:26.560
19 P 12:00.375
20 1:52.737
21 1:34.674
22 1:29.873
23 1:28.970
24 1:28.882
25 1:29.087
26 1:29.292
27 1:32.879
28 P 11:44.195
29 1:36.977
30 1:29.124
31 1:28.806
32 1:28.824
33 1:34.212

Fastest lap was the 2nd flying lap of a 5 laps stint, similar to Rosberg.
The longer runs have consistency but the lap times are not impressive.

jens
27th March 2009, 10:48
Haha, what a strange ranking of teams! This is exactly why I have been waiting for this season so long! :D Can't wait to see qualifying to finally see the Moment of Truth. Is the pecking order really as incredible as it seems?

Well, generally it could be expected that Brawn, Toyota and also Williams (at least on such type of circuits) should be reasonably quick. The main question is, what is going on at Ferrari and BMW. Well, at least in FP2 Ferrari was concentrated on long runs and going by their stint times, they should be fairly competitive - podium material I'd say. BMW is a mystery though. Kubica was complaining over team radio that he couldn't find the right setup in any way. Taking into account that BMW has been so concentrated on a KERS-car and suddenly RK has to run without it, then in some way it may seem logical that he is struggling to find the right balance now. Red Bull, I think, was a bit underrated after the winter tests - to me they seem a Q3 material, at least.

From tomorrow I hope for a front row by Trulli and Barrichello. :p : Considering recent youth-obsession and a lot of youngster in F1, many have questioned, what are the experienced drivers doing in F1 at all. Hence there would be nothing sweeter if those old hands show the way to others. ;)

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:51
8. Vettel

1 P 16:30:29
2 1:55.699
3 1:32.633
4 1:31.441
5 1:30.012
6 1:30.065
7 1:28.439
8 P 12:35.898
9 1:47.287
10 1:27.037
11 1:27.117
12 1:27.794
13 1:27.729
14 1:27.928
15 P 20:02.293
16 1:49.637
17 1:30.016
18 1:27.386
19 1:26.740

Don't know how long his final run was meant to be cause he spun out on the 20th lap while seemingly pushing hard.
Consistent lap times on the 2nd stint, but it was a 6 laps stint only.

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:54
9. Sutil

1 P 16:32:35
2 1:42.883
3 1:29.335
4 1:37.975
5 1:28.111
6 P 10:54.559
7 1:41.288
8 1:27.265
9 1:27.040
10 P 13:46.505
11 1:53.629
12 1:30.609
13 1:29.691
14 1:28.858
15 1:30.967
16 1:28.753
17 1:28.460
18 P 9:10.400
19 1:51.288
20 1:32.907
21 1:30.221
22 1:29.017
23 1:31.021
24 1:34.458
25 1:39.314
26 1:38.456
27 P 13:57.952
28 1:41.169
29 1:27.195
30 1:33.838
31 1:27.173

Only got into the 1:27 bracket on very short runs (4 laps including in and out laps).
Otherwise inconsistent and unimpressive times.

ioan
27th March 2009, 10:59
10. Massa

1 P 16:36:36
2 1:41.101
3 1:30.472
4 1:29.255
5 1:29.272
6 1:33.292
7 1:28.614
8 P 1:47.028
9 P 8:36.790
10 1:44.876
11 1:28.027
12 1:27.366
13 1:27.393
14 1:27.064
15 1:27.435
16 1:27.270
17 1:27.825
18 1:27.571
19 P 1:46.712
20 P 20:00.893
21 1:40.663
22 1:27.341
23 1:29.692
24 1:30.701
25 P 6:20.371
26 1:42.699
27 1:27.985
28 1:35.998
29 1:27.248
30 1:28.003
31 1:27.841
32 1:28.670
33 1:29.966
34 1:34.149
35 P 1:59.952

Fastest lap was on 5th lap of an 11 laps stint all but one flying laps were in 1:27 bracket! The first flying lap was a low 1:28.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:02
11. Raikkonen

1 P 16:37:34
2 1:51.590
3 1:39.392
4 1:35.808
5 1:30.133
6 1:28.321
7 1:30.728
8 P 1:46.004
9 P 14:48.887
10 1:41.537
11 1:30.068
12 1:29.077
13 1:33.606
14 1:28.489
15 P 1:44.978
16 P 15:00.101
17 1:47.888
18 1:33.858
19 1:36.859
20 1:29.980
21 1:29.473
22 1:29.520
23 1:29.309
24 P 6:09.917
25 1:37.487
26 1:27.334
27 1:35.639
28 1:27.204
29 1:27.570
30 1:31.302
31 1:29.152
32 1:30.707

I'm not sure how I should interpret his times. Obviously he can do low 1:27 times on a long run but maybe he got traffic or had a scary moment or two during the other laps.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:04
12. Alonso

1 P 16:30:20
2 1:55.923
3 1:34.002
4 1:30.243
5 1:29.483
6 1:47.752
7 1:29.197
8 P 23:25.116
9 1:49.143
10 1:28.661
11 1:33.225
12 1:31.658
13 1:30.852
14 1:29.765
15 1:28.614
16 P 9:13.217
17 1:48.158
18 1:27.306
19 1:27.232
20 1:37.802
21 1:31.498
22 1:30.865
23 P 14:44.933
24 1:52.343
25 1:27.923
26 1:33.276
27 1:27.653
28 1:28.901

No qualifying stints, but no long runs either. Pace is fairly inconsistent.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:07
13. Fisichella

1 P 16:31:13
2 1:45.593
3 1:30.931
4 1:29.898
5 1:33.857
6 1:28.530
7 P 10:13.639
8 1:40.217
9 1:27.539
10 1:27.282
11 P 9:52.393
12 1:52.750
13 1:30.812
14 1:29.308
15 1:29.887
16 1:29.744
17 1:32.275
18 1:29.137
19 1:28.913
20 P 12:40.285
21 1:52.021
22 1:30.075
23 1:28.743
24 1:29.119
25 1:30.429
26 1:32.284
27 1:34.664
28 1:36.022
29 P 13:03.649
30 1:42.971
31 1:32.774
32 1:27.674

Like Sutil he only got into the 1:27's on very short runs. On longer runs times are rather unimpressive and deteriorate instead of improving as the run progresses.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:11
14. Heidfeld

1 P 16:37:24
2 2:01.109
3 1:31.937
4 1:29.965
5 1:30.006
6 P 15:22.294
7 1:50.919
8 1:30.818
9 1:30.458
10 P 12:38.244
11 1:37.785
12 1:28.533
13 1:28.374
14 1:28.223
15 1:27.931
16 1:27.898
17 1:27.417
18 P 5:24.215
19 1:37.985
20 1:28.722
21 1:27.317
22 1:29.691
23 1:27.809
24 1:28.171
25 1:28.754
26 P 5:26.285
27 1:39.332
28 1:30.557
29 1:28.287
30 1:31.874
31 1:29.067
32 1:28.303
33 1:42.011
34 1:29.856

Longer runs look consistent.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:13
15. Kubica

1 P 16:31:16
2 1:59.354
3 1:32.787
4 1:30.567
5 1:30.465
6 1:32.013
7 P 10:29.175
8 1:50.246
9 P 7:05.645
10 1:38.830
11 1:28.015
12 1:28.127
13 1:27.992
14 1:27.816
15 1:28.266
16 1:28.656
17 1:29.984
18 P 9:28.569
19 1:37.746
20 1:27.398
21 1:28.036
22 1:27.717
23 1:30.019
24 1:28.965
25 1:31.234
26 P 8:58.069
27 1:41.782
28 1:31.180
29 1:30.528
30 1:30.025
31 1:30.455
32 P 6:30.575
33 1:45.715
34 1:33.452
35 1:32.502
36 1:31.006

Similar to Heidfeld, consistent over long stints.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:16
16. Bourdais

1 P 16:30:45
2 1:49.859
3 1:35.700
4 1:36.040
5 1:31.613
6 1:30.044
7 1:29.822
8 P 8:00.911
9 1:50.033
10 1:42.303
11 1:30.524
12 1:29.175
13 1:29.158
14 P 9:56.263
15 1:39.285
16 1:30.188
17 1:28.893
18 1:28.842
19 1:28.306
20 P 12:19.960
21 1:38.155
22 1:27.479
23 1:37.457
24 1:32.257
25 P 11:31.109
26 2:09.211
27 1:30.759
28 1:29.341
29 1:29.881
30 1:29.432
31 1:30.186
32 1:31.352
33 1:31.853
34 1:34.279
35 1:36.079
36 1:37.310

Fastest lap on very short stint with one flying lap.
Long stints are consistent but slow and pace is fading away consistently.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:18
17. Kovalainen

1 P 16:31:56
2 1:58.216
3 1:30.860
4 1:29.109
5 1:31.052
6 1:28.148
7 P 12:52.399
8 1:48.338
9 1:28.757
10 1:34.154
11 1:30.456
12 P 14:32.731
13 1:52.705
14 1:28.598
15 1:28.064
16 1:34.986
17 1:28.229
18 1:30.546
19 1:28.175
20 1:28.327
21 1:29.564
22 1:29.856
23 1:34.864
24 1:33.081
25 P 12:46.341
26 1:39.228
27 1:27.802
28 1:28.029
29 1:28.969
30 1:29.266
31 1:29.289
32 1:31.176
33 1:30.609
34 1:31.681
35 1:32.147

Long runs are consistent but slow and he seem to lose pace as the tires fade away.

jens
27th March 2009, 11:19
Ioan, you seem to point out that some teams were consistent over long runs, but others weren't. However, I suspect it may be largely reliant on which tyre compounds were used.

The very different behaviour of two tyre compounds has been pointed out by Toyota drivers:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73956

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:19
18. Hamilton

1 P 16:37:59
2 1:41.173
3 1:28.995
4 1:35.489
5 1:28.158
6 1:32.000
7 1:30.131
8 1:27.958
9 P 18:23.527
10 1:50.030
11 1:30.083
12 1:29.227
13 1:28.570
14 1:28.431
15 1:30.987
16 1:28.800
17 1:29.230
18 P 12:22.957
19 1:40.367
20 1:30.609
21 1:27.813
22 1:27.953
23 1:28.549
24 1:31.827
25 1:28.597
26 1:29.695
27 P 10:46.075
28 1:48.005
29 1:35.854
30 1:29.438
31 1:31.443

Same as Kovalainen.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:24
19. Piquet

1 P 16:31:58
2 2:00.750
3 1:33.145
4 1:31.203
5 1:30.327
6 1:29.811
7 P 9:49.665
8 1:50.079
9 1:30.125
10 1:29.114
11 1:28.975
12 1:30.473
13 1:28.912
14 1:29.543
15 1:28.881
16 1:28.452
17 1:29.637
18 1:28.649
19 1:28.468
20 1:28.439
21 P 10:05.937
22 1:51.475
23 1:28.349
24 1:28.216
25 1:28.005
26 1:27.828
27 1:28.175
28 1:33.151
29 1:34.077
30 P 16:44.987
31 1:39.261
32 1:28.692
33 1:28.810
34 1:28.787
35 1:29.560

Not as fast as Alonso but his long run (14 laps) looks consistent.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:26
20. Buemi

1 P 16:31:23
2 1:49.573
3 1:36.762
4 1:32.572
5 1:32.021
6 1:32.025
7 P 13:48.741
8 1:53.802
9 1:31.273
10 1:30.162
11 1:29.911
12 1:31.938
13 1:30.231
14 P 8:23.584
15 1:42.505
16 1:32.709
17 1:29.074
18 1:28.376
19 1:29.880
20 1:28.076
21 P 12:24.908
22 1:39.980
23 1:28.756
24 1:28.218
25 1:28.644
26 P 11:35.809
27 1:53.398
28 1:32.262
29 1:31.834
30 1:32.872
31 1:31.173
32 1:30.664
33 1:34.045
Page 4

His first GP so I won't comment for now.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:28
Looking at stint lengths, lap times and consistency I would hazard a guess that the top 3 teams (based on today's FP2 and nothing more) are:

1. Brawn GP (as much as it pains me to say it)
2. Ferrari
3. BMW

The others are either fast but inconsistent or consistently slow,so it's anyone's guess where they will end up.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:33
Ioan, you seem to point out that some teams were consistent over long runs, but others weren't. However, I suspect it may be largely reliant on which tyre compounds were used.

The very different behaviour of two tyre compounds has been pointed out by Toyota drivers:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73956

Everyone's pace is function of fuel levels, tires + track temperature, KERS or no KERS and so on.

I do not have all this data at hand and even if I had it I wouldn't lose my time to analyze all of it as no one is gone pay for it. All I did is take a look to the lap times and try to get to a fair conclusion, and this is why I didn't try to guess what will be with those teams that fell in the category of fast but inconsistent or consistent but slow.

There is a chance that tomorrow and Sunday the picture will be different as the track will continue to improve, by as much as 1 second per day according to Alex Wurz.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:34
Good data ioan

Will be interesting to see if McLaren are just doing longish runs

Yep, longish runs but consistently slow.

RJL25
27th March 2009, 11:49
ioan - based on your info, plus what i observed on TV, I think Williams has the best single lap car by far, brawn and red bull have the best race cars.

I still wouldn't write off ferrari though....

cosmicpanda
27th March 2009, 11:53
it is interesting that the laptimes are still faster than last year. I suppose that this must be due to the slick tyres.

Dave B
27th March 2009, 11:56
Lewis'comments (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73957)would indicate that he was on a heavy fuel load:

Q. Lewis, we heard you say that the car was bottoming all the time and was really very difficult to drive.
LH: Yeah, it is a very bumpy track, so I think at the time we were just a bit too low. That's what happens when you are on heavier fuel, so we will make some changes to make sure that doesn't happen anymore.

ioan
27th March 2009, 11:58
Lewis'comments (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73957)would indicate that he was on a heavy fuel load:

Only that when he went on car to pits radio he hinted to suspensions settings.
I guess we will see tomorrow.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2009, 12:00
FP1 was at a time of the day when there is more sun and the track temperatures are optimal, but Quali and Race will take place at the same time as FP2 and even later, so I'll consider FP2 times more meaningful.

You are assuming, of course, that the sun was out in force during Prac 1, which it wasn't. It was actually warmer during prac 2 - I should know as I live 10 minutes from Albert Park (by bicycle), and I was cycling home during prac 1 and walking Benny during Prac 2. (Being out on both occasions, that is).

ioan
27th March 2009, 12:01
ioan - based on your info, plus what i observed on TV, I think Williams has the best single lap car by far, brawn and red bull have the best race cars.

I still wouldn't write off ferrari though....

I don't know how Williams compares with other cars that didn't run qualifying simulations, but out of those who did they were faster. However I have a doubt that Brawn GP are a bit faster even in qualifying trim and let's not forget that they must qualify with race fuel loads.

As for RedBull, they look fast but the stints were also fairly short and a tad inconsistent, I would put them in front of Toyota but not BMW and Ferrari, but this is only a guess.

ioan
27th March 2009, 12:03
You are assuming, of course, that the sun was out in force during Prac 1, which it wasn't. It was actually warmer during prac 2 - I should know as I live 10 minutes from Albert Park (by bicycle), and I was cycling home during prac 1 and walking Benny during Prac 2. (Being out on both occasions, that is).[/QUOTE]

Ofcourse I was assuming, I don't live in Melbourne.

Anyway the FP2 conditions are likely to be repeated during quali and race.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2009, 12:05
You are assuming, of course, that the sun was out in force during Prac 1, which it wasn't. It was actually warmer during prac 2 - I should know as I live 10 minutes from Albert Park (by bicycle), and I was cycling home during prac 1 and walking Benny during Prac 2. (Being out on both occasions, that is).

Ofcourse I was assuming, I don't live in Melbourne.

Anyway the FP2 conditions are likely to be repeated during quali and race.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Buddy, I mucked up the posts and quotes, making yours confusing. My bad. The weather was very changing at Albert Park today.

That made it worse :( I'm giving it away.) Sorry ioan.

RJL25
27th March 2009, 12:08
Interestingly Mark Webber has come out in the local media and said that he doesn't expect to be "anywhere near" 4th in qualifying...

He also said that the "diffuser cars" are definetly quicker, but mainly the difference is only present over a single lap, and he feels during the race the difference between the diffuser cars and the non diffuser cars won't be as great

RJL25
27th March 2009, 12:09
The weather was very changing at Albert Park today.

It's always changing... it's melbourne!

RJL25
27th March 2009, 12:12
I just wish the FIA would hurry up and rule on this diffuser rubbish so that either its legal and everyone else can copy it, or it's illegal and the three teams remove the extra elements, apparently Toyota already have a diffuser ready to go that isn't "iffy".

What really s me is that people have been talking about this loophole for months, ever since Toyota and Williams launched there cars, why has the FIA taken this long to even start clarrifying it! This should have all been sorted out ages ago

ioan
27th March 2009, 13:06
Sorry Buddy, I mucked up the posts and quotes, making yours confusing. My bad. The weather was very changing at Albert Park today.

That made it worse :( I'm giving it away.) Sorry ioan.

No need to be sorry, the info about the weather was valuable! :)

ioan
27th March 2009, 13:19
I just wish the FIA would hurry up and rule on this diffuser rubbish so that either its legal and everyone else can copy it, or it's illegal and the three teams remove the extra elements, apparently Toyota already have a diffuser ready to go that isn't "iffy".

What really s me is that people have been talking about this loophole for months, ever since Toyota and Williams launched there cars, why has the FIA taken this long to even start clarrifying it! This should have all been sorted out ages ago

It seems that when the FIA thinks something is OK itneeds someone to protest a design in order to clarify it.

wedge
27th March 2009, 14:35
Tyre graining looked horrible out there. Will be interesting how this will develop over the weekend when more rubber laid down will make some difference?

pettersolberg29
27th March 2009, 15:55
What I find interesting is how the teams improved over the two sessions. Here are general observations:

Rosberg got about 0.6 secs faster from P1 to P2
Kimi about 0.45 secs slower
Rubens about 1 second faster
Heikki 0.4 slower
Nick H 0.8 faster
Lewis 1.2 secs faster
Glock 1.3 secs faster

I may have missed a couple of other significant ones, but to me this shows that the slower teams in general are finding more with practise i.e Lewis, Heidfeld and Glock, whereas Ferrari and Heikki got slower.

Hopeully with a bit more improvent in P3 the teams will be a bit more evenly matched. I'm all for a switch in domination from McLaren to Williams, but not if it is in exchange for good races.

ioan
27th March 2009, 16:21
Tyre graining looked horrible out there. Will be interesting how this will develop over the weekend when more rubber laid down will make some difference?

Who knows?
Toyota drivers consider that the tires are not suited to this track.
On the other hand Brawn GP and Ferrari and maybe RBR seem to be able to use them much better.

AndyL
27th March 2009, 19:37
What I find interesting is how the teams improved over the two sessions. Here are general observations:

Rosberg got about 0.6 secs faster from P1 to P2
Kimi about 0.45 secs slower
Rubens about 1 second faster
Heikki 0.4 slower
Nick H 0.8 faster
Lewis 1.2 secs faster
Glock 1.3 secs faster

I may have missed a couple of other significant ones, but to me this shows that the slower teams in general are finding more with practise i.e Lewis, Heidfeld and Glock, whereas Ferrari and Heikki got slower.

Hopeully with a bit more improvent in P3 the teams will be a bit more evenly matched. I'm all for a switch in domination from McLaren to Williams, but not if it is in exchange for good races.

It seemed most teams only did short runs in P1, and some definitely only did long runs in P2. So the improvement for some of the teams is probably greater than is indicated by the times alone.

Valve Bounce
27th March 2009, 21:18
OK, a couple of F1 cars were out just after 8 this morning, doing some testing I suppose.They've stopped now, 8.25.

ioan
27th March 2009, 21:24
OK, a couple of F1 cars were out just after 8 this morning, doing some testing si suppose.They've stopped now, 8.25.

:?:

They are not supposed to run before FP3 and that will be later during the day (night).

You sure you saw F1 cars?!

Valve Bounce
27th March 2009, 21:31
:?:

They are not supposed to run before FP3 and that will be later during the day (night).

You sure you saw F1 cars?!

No! I can't see them, but I can hear them clearly from my apartment. Two cars at least. Don't know which two. From what was written elsewhere, Lewis Hamilton did say that they had to reset the suspension as the car was bottoming on the bumps.

Tazio
27th March 2009, 21:43
I think tire management is going to play a very big role in the outcome of this race. I think the teams that ran slower in FP2 were working on this issue especially Ferrari. This is going to be very interesting. The later start is going to guarantee running harder compound on last stint may make grip and subsequently hard charging late in the race a dodgy endeavor Teams that can get the most laps out of the soft compounds will benefit

wedge
27th March 2009, 22:05
Who knows?
Toyota drivers consider that the tires are not suited to this track.
On the other hand Brawn GP and Ferrari and maybe RBR seem to be able to use them much better.

Toyota's were horrible on their fronts.

Massa had problems as well. He got it crossed up a few times and you could see the fronts were graining from the onboard cams.

It seem some teams manage the graining by going through a heat cycle ie. cool down laps.

BrawnGP I was most impressed with. They looked like they could easily do a 20 lap sprint stint without taking much out of the tyres.

jens
27th March 2009, 22:23
In winter testing Toyota seemed well-balanced and was arguably one of the most consistent cars over a stint, so I'm quite surprised, how are they suddenly struggling now. Maybe it has something to do with Melbourne circuit characteristics, which won't quite cause problems like that elsewhere. But who knows, maybe people are overdramatizing the situation too much and have written Toyota off too early. It's not like others have had a smooth and problem-free running. Not much left to find out. ;)

Tazio
27th March 2009, 22:32
BrawnGP I was most impressed with. They looked like they could easily do a 20 lap sprint stint without taking much out of the tyres.I heard radio transmissions (in FP1 I think) inwhich an engineer and button were discussing tire degradation being a real problem!

wedge
27th March 2009, 22:43
I heard radio transmissions (in FP1 I think) inwhich an engineer and button were discussing tire degradation being a real problem!

I was referring more to graining issue but BGP looked like the most composed car out there. Correct me if I'm wrong but they made the least mistakes in practice. Final practice will be different since they need to set up for qualy and need to find the limits more.

Tazio
27th March 2009, 22:53
I was referring more to graining issue but BGP looked like the most composed car out there. Correct me if I'm wrong but they made the least mistakes in practice. Final practice will be different since they need to set up for qualy and need to find the limits more.

They appear to be the class of the field. But I don't believe they ran long stints in FP2. Does anyone have this data?
I guess we'll find out soon enough! ;)

ioan
27th March 2009, 23:03
They appear to be the class of the field. But I don't believe they ran long stints in FP2. Does anyone have this data?
I guess we'll find out soon enough! ;)

They ran the longest stint in FP2.
I posted ll the laps and lap times in this very thread.

WSRfan82
27th March 2009, 23:27
i think brawn GP is going to be the team to watch. i do hope its as close as i thinkits goingto be...i just cant wait any longer its like a drag already....BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!

Tazio
27th March 2009, 23:38
They ran the longest stint in FP2.
I posted ll the laps and lap times in this very thread.

I guess I should have been paying better attention on both counts!
Thanks my man ;)

ShiftingGears
28th March 2009, 00:45
No! I can't see them, but I can hear them clearly from my apartment. Two cars at least. Don't know which two. From what was written elsewhere, Lewis Hamilton did say that they had to reset the suspension as the car was bottoming on the bumps.

It could've been a road car/V8 supercar/F1 car comparison lap. They did them when I went to the grand prix.

call_me_andrew
28th March 2009, 01:43
That grass looked really green for a place that's supposed to be in a drought. If the trees didn't look like death I might believe Melbourne had water to spare.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 01:48
It could've been a road car/V8 supercar/F1 car comparison lap. They did them when I went to the grand prix.

I think there were two F1 cars out at the same time but not lapping together. Maybe they had the Minardi two seater out - that I don't know.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 01:51
That grass looked really green for a place that's supposed to be in a drought. If the trees didn't look like death I might believe Melbourne had water to spare.

They use the water from the lake. Last year, the lake was down 1 metre after the GP. This year, we had some rain in the past two weeks, and the runoff from the surrounding streets drain into or are pumped back into the lake's filtered areas.

ozrevhead
28th March 2009, 01:52
Well Sir Richard is here and has a chat to OneHD and really its just a matter of confirmation of his sponsorship in BrawnF1

Theyve got the Formula 5000 cars now - thats a blast from the past!

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 02:01
The new team will be know as B & B ; Brawn and Branson

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 04:10
What a turn-up for hte books. If you had predicted these 1st 6 places for this year's AGP prac 3 at the end of last year, you would have been locked up in a mental asylum.

Massa was the only one to break into the rebel diffusers, and the two new Virgins are not bringing up the tail end of the grid. Who would have thought.

It was confirmed 30 minutes before Prac 3 that the two Brawns would be Virgins, and they carried that designation of their sides.

To give an insight into the track, the section between turn 6 and turn 13 is heavily trafficked by commuters, with turn 9 going off the normal road into a small car park, hence the bump. This section of the road is bumper to bumper each morning during rush hour and the surface is not all that smooth. The rest of the circuit is also open to the public but is not so heavily trafficked.

Tazio
28th March 2009, 04:14
It's up to Ferrari to break up the Tyrannical Three :p :

Dave B
28th March 2009, 04:39
I had a horrible feeling it was going to be a dull session for the first 15 minutes or so, but turns out it was well worth getting up at 3am for :D

pino
28th March 2009, 04:51
I had a horrible feeling it was going to be a dull session for the first 15 minutes or so, but turns out it was well worth getting up at 3am for :D

Are you going to bed now or will wait for the pole ? :p :

ozrevhead
28th March 2009, 05:14
well get in the chat room, we will keep ya awake guys :p

Dave B
28th March 2009, 06:21
Are you going to bed now or will wait for the pole ? :p :
Just had time for a nice hot bath and a bacon bun! :facelick:

dj_bytedisaster
28th March 2009, 06:33
Is it just me or can we safely throw that diffuser discussion into the bin? Those gaps in the second segment of Qualifying are unbelievably close the first 5 within 0.1 seconds - the mind boggles...

raybak
28th March 2009, 06:44
I'm posting from my phone here at the GP, the vibe is awesome. The paddock is unbelievable with everyone talking about how close everyone is this year.

Going to be a good year this year.

Ray

ShiftingGears
28th March 2009, 06:56
Wow.

dj_bytedisaster
28th March 2009, 06:59
What a brilliant display by the two Brawns. Someone at Honda is now going to bury his sword in his bowels - they must feel like blithering idiots now.

They even fail, when they build the best car in the field. Make sure you all laugh really hard at Honda tonight. :D

Triumph
28th March 2009, 07:00
Well done to Jenson Button for achieving pole position.

Hopefully the new car will still be competitive once the diffuser row has been settled and everyone is interpreting the rules in the same way.

Dave B
28th March 2009, 07:05
What an amazing qualifying session, and congratulations to the three B's: Brawn, Button and Barrichello :up:

ioan
28th March 2009, 07:07
Well done Jenson and Rubens! Great job!
Impressive run by Vettel too!

PS: Can't Rubens just be happy without complaining?!

dj_bytedisaster
28th March 2009, 07:09
What an amazing qualifying session, and congratulations to the three B's: Brawn, Button and Barrichello :up:

Make that 5 : Brawn+Button+Barrichello+Branson=BRILLIANT

ioan
28th March 2009, 07:11
I have to say that I'm impressed by Red Bull's pace, they managed to get so close to Brawn and beat the other two DDecker teams while using a conventional design! :up:

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2009, 07:11
F1-Just beautiful. Thank you for Ross Brawn, Jensen Button and Rubens Barrichello, everyone at the team this year well done, they have achieved something truly remarkable.

This year will be incredible, Brawn have been incredible, and as you can probably tell Im exstatic. British driver, british team, British car, (german engine), my my, must be a winning formula!

cant wait for the race, well done BRAWN!

PS. Im also loving Williams and Red Bull ebing in the mix as well as Kubica and Toyota, well done all especially Vettel. :)

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2009, 07:12
Make that 5 : Brawn+Button+Barrichello+Branson=BRILLIANT

actually 6: Brawn, Button, Barrichello, Branson, Brilliant, British! :D

dj_bytedisaster
28th March 2009, 07:14

Give that man a beer.
True, can't wait for Clarkson to wet his pants about it :D

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2009, 07:17
Give that man a beer.
True, can't wait for Clarkson to wet his pants about it :D

They've now gotta give that Brawn car to the Stig! and yes I imagine Jezza to be loving this as I am! :D

PS. I will have my Beer! :beer:

Dave B
28th March 2009, 07:17
Or 7: Brawn, Button, Barrichello, Branson, Brilliant, British... and Brixworth!

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2009, 07:19
or eight, Branson said he was a lucky B**tard, nuff said

Roamy
28th March 2009, 07:21
Great job by button RB Brawn - Very good post qual interview by button as well - I hope he wins

the red bull looks to be scary when they strap on the new difuser

mstillhere
28th March 2009, 07:22
I feel like puking. Watching this qualifying session was revolting. For the first time in my entire life I finished watching this sharade and I have no idea what's the meaning of everithing I just saw. It was like watching two different championship at once with one set of cars made in one way and on other set made in another way. How can anyone call what we just watched Formula 1? And the results how true are they gonna be? For how long? Steadily and constantly getting turned off.

Dave B
28th March 2009, 07:27
I feel like puking. Watching this qualifying session was revolting. For the first time in my entire life I finished watching this sharade and I have no idea what's the meaning of everithing I just saw. It was like watching two different championship at once with one set of cars made in one way and on other set made in another way. How can anyone call what we just watched Formula 1? And the results how true are they gonna be? For how long? Steadily and constantly getting turned off.

Yes, it must be a shame to realise that some teams failed to adapt to the new rules. As a Hamilton supporter I feel your pain. But I have nothing but the highest of respect for those who performed well, and confidence that those who lag behind will doubtless make progress.

Tazio
Or 7: Brawn, Button, Barrichello, Branson, Brilliant, British... and Brixworth!May I suggest one more?

Or 8: Brawn, Button, Barrichello, Branson, Brilliant, British, Brixworth, and Boudica
And we all know how that ended up ;)

pino
Or 7: Brawn, Button, Barrichello, Branson, Brilliant, British... and Brixworth!

+ Brockman = 8 :p :

dj_bytedisaster
28th March 2009, 07:28

What the hell have you been watching? That was one of the best quali sessions for ages. The best 10 within a second - constant changes, everything.

dj_bytedisaster
28th March 2009, 07:30
They've now gotta give that Brawn car to the Stig! and yes I imagine Jezza to be loving this as I am! :D

PS. I will have my Beer! :beer:

No way they's gonna let the Stig get anywhere near to a Virgin :D

ShiftingGears
28th March 2009, 07:31

Bet you didn't think anything of the sort in 2002.

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2009, 07:33
No way they's gonna let the Stig get anywhere near to a Virgin :D

ha ha rotflmao! :rotflmao:

how many more virgin jokes can we get! :D

DexDexter
28th March 2009, 07:34

You're joking, right? We've just witnessed F1 at its best. Stop whining.

ioan
28th March 2009, 07:37
You're joking, right? We've just witnessed F1 at its best. Stop whining.

It's his opinion and his got the right to express it, wrong or right.

DexDexter
28th March 2009, 07:38

Well so do I, right?

F1boat
28th March 2009, 08:21
I also love this qualifying. I hope that the diffusers stay, although it will be even more fun if FIA take it off and Brawn GP are STILL the fastest car :)

Ranger
28th March 2009, 08:25

*Busts out world's smallest violin*

Back to the situation.

BrawnGP seem to have 3/10ths of a second on everyone else, who are extremely tight, amazing.

Toyota and Williams look consistent and fast.

I was amazed at how close to the front Red Bull are. Shame about Webber falling off at the end but I was not expecting them to be at all near the front given testing times.

christophulus
28th March 2009, 08:29
Is there anyone else here who doesn't enjoy the prospects for this new season?

Nope. Getting up at 5am was well worth it! I don't think the Brawn/Virgin/ex-Hondas will be dominant all year long as everyone will catch up sooner or later, but it's great to see the usual order turned upside down.

I was wondering if anyone can clarify something - if Hamilton needs a gearbox change, is it not worth starting from the pitlane? Is that even an option? Those enormous front wings could cause some first corner problems and I'd have thought it might be worth a try.

Dave B
28th March 2009, 08:30
I'm loving it! We all suspected that the new regulations could shake the established order, but I doubt that anybody in their wildest dreams ever expected a Brawn 1-2 in qualifying, or for Ferrari to be so far off the pace, or for McLaren to be in quite this much trouble.

Bring it on!

UltimateDanGTR
28th March 2009, 08:31
I also love this qualifying. I hope that the diffusers stay, although it will be even more fun if FIA take it off and Brawn GP are STILL the fastest car :)

Only if they retain the points scored in Melbourne, but yes it would be hilarious! :D I guess the FIA cannot take away Brawns melbourne points though, because I would say the FIA can do one of either two things:

1. Declare the difusers legal and let the teams carry on using them

or

2. Declare the Difusers legal in melbourne but introduce new regulations about difusers starting from the spanish or Monaco grand prix.

Dave B
28th March 2009, 08:32
I was wondering if anyone can clarify something - if Hamilton needs a gearbox change, is it not worth starting from the pitlane? Is that even an option? Those enormous front wings could cause some first corner problems and I'd have thought it might be worth a try.
If he does need a gearbox change it would mean a 5-place grid penalty, so there'd be nothing to lose. In fact, he might consider it anyway. I'm just checking the revised rules (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A762F2CB92BD70E2C125757D00366308/$FILE/1-2009_F1_SPORTING_REGULATIONS_Showing%20Alterations _17-03-2009.pdf)to make sure the procedure is still the same.

Yup, as in previous seasons, 38.2 says that you have to wait for all cars to pass before you can exit the pit, but it could be a gamble worth taking.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 08:48
What a brilliant display by the two Brawns. Someone at Honda is now going to bury his sword in his bowels - they must feel like blithering idiots now.

They even fail, when they build the best car in the field. Make sure you all laugh really hard at Honda tonight. :D

It's called the Valve Bounce Super Aguri Mellaca Hex!!

Dave B
28th March 2009, 08:51
Confirmed: gearbox change and a 5-place penalty for Hamilton.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73995

This makes the prospect of his starting from the pitlane all the more likely.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 08:52

Bye!! don't let the door smack your arse on the way out!!

F1boat
28th March 2009, 08:54
Only if they retain the points scored in Melbourne, but yes it would be hilarious! :D I guess the FIA cannot take away Brawns melbourne points though, because I would say the FIA can do one of either two things:

1. Declare the difusers legal and let the teams carry on using them

or

2. Declare the Difusers legal in melbourne but introduce new regulations about difusers starting from the spanish or Monaco grand prix.

IMO it will depend from the results, but while I hope to be option 1, I think that it will be option 2. I'd hate to see the points of these teams taken.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 08:54

Just a party pooper - leave him whine.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 08:57
If he does need a gearbox change it would mean a 5-place grid penalty, so there'd be nothing to lose. In fact, he might consider it anyway. I'm just checking the revised rules (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A762F2CB92BD70E2C125757D00366308/$FILE/1-2009_F1_SPORTING_REGULATIONS_Showing%20Alterations _17-03-2009.pdf)to make sure the procedure is still the same.

Yup, as in previous seasons, 38.2 says that you have to wait for all cars to pass before you can exit the pit, but it could be a gamble worth taking.

Let's face it - he ain't going nowhere.

jens
28th March 2009, 08:58
Wuohh, it was expected that this season will bring some surprises, but come on - this qualifying session was just plain unbelievable! I'm simply stunned. How's that possible? :p : Private teams own factory teams. If we discount Force India and STR, then last year's pecking order is basically in reverse now! Is this Formula One that I'm watching? :crazy:

Anyway, Brawn's pace I think was expected.
Red Bull and Williams were definetely underrated after winter testing. They showed glimpses of promise during winter, but people wanted to take the legendary factory teams more seriously. So you see. :D There have been some questionmarks over RB's and Williams's race consistency plus Red Bull's reliability though, so we'll see tomorrow.

Toyota, I admit, is a major disappointment. Behind all main non-KERS runners and KERS-teams will eat them alive at the start. Has all the winter testing promise really gone down the drain? Hard to believe, still... The only bright side is that if we discount Kubica, Toyota was the best factory team, but what kind of consolation is that now? :p :
I think it was known that Ferrari's one lap-pace may not be too impressive either. I expect them to rise during the race if the car is reliable. Brawn's will be untouchable though.

By the way, taking about the winning team and B's, I would add one more "B" - Bridgestone. :D

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 08:58
IMO it will depend from the results, but while I hope to be option 1, I think that it will be option 2. I'd hate to see the points of these teams taken.

They really can't, can they? I mean the Stewards passed the cars for the race.

pino
28th March 2009, 09:07
Bye!! don't let the door smack your arse on the way out!!

There's no need to be rude, it's his opinion and must be respected !

Dave B
28th March 2009, 09:08
You are Flavio Briatore and I claim my five pounds.

F1boat
28th March 2009, 09:20

ROFL!

ozrevhead
28th March 2009, 09:24
The good - BrawnF1, Vettle, Glock and Lewis :p :

Bad - Renault & Truli

And the Fustrating - You know I love the guy but geeze Mark, that last quali was a botchup and 3/4, I hope your car is heavy!!

I'm going into zero expectations tomorrow- im tired of being disapointed all the time

ArrowsFA1
28th March 2009, 09:27
I'm loving it! We all suspected that the new regulations could shake the established order, but I doubt that anybody in their wildest dreams ever expected a Brawn 1-2 in qualifying, or for Ferrari to be so far off the pace, or for McLaren to be in quite this much trouble.

Bring it on!
:up:

A remarkable session. Brawn certainly weren't fooling anyone during testing, they really are that quick. Fingers crossed they can keep that pace for the race.

Red Bull were very impressive too.

It's just great to see a fresh look to the grid :s mokin:

ozrevhead
28th March 2009, 09:38

A remarkable session. Brawn certainly weren't fooling anyone during testing, they really are that quick. Fingers crossed they can keep that pace for the race.

If this is deamed legal (which it shoudnt be in my view) how are the teams going to do that if they cant do any testing during the year??? Surely they should allow tesing since FIA told them it would probally be and change their minds after they redesigned the flipping car

F1boat
28th March 2009, 09:42

Actually I expected Brawn 1-2 and McLaren's troubles, but only after Barcelona. It is reflected in my pickems. However, I am shocked by RBR and to a degree from Williams and I feel pretty sad for Ferrari and Renault.
But F1 rules, IMO :)

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 09:56
There's no need to be rude, it's his opinion and must be respected !

I see no reason why I have to respect a stupid post. The stewards deemed the cars legal, so what's his point?

DexDexter
28th March 2009, 10:12
I see no reason why I have to respect a stupid post. The stewards deemed the cars legal, so what's his point?

There is no point, I wonder why many of these stupid posts come from the US and A? Anyway, this is what F1 is supposed to be: clever engineering, innovations, taking the rules to the limit. Vintage stuff.

WSRfan82
28th March 2009, 10:19
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! button on pole get in.

i was hopeing that would happen but i had my doutes but my god what a performance by Brawn GP fabtastic

ShiftingGears
28th March 2009, 10:24

Nice.

ShiftingGears
28th March 2009, 10:26
it's his opinion and must be respected !

No, not at all.

Valve Bounce
28th March 2009, 11:43
Very little has been mentioned here about Vettel - I expect him to be a future WDC.

F1boat
28th March 2009, 11:44
Very little has been mentioned here about Vettel - I expect him to be a future WDC.

Oh, yeah, he was the biggest surprise for me.

ShiftingGears
28th March 2009, 11:51
Oh, yeah, he was the biggest surprise for me.

I thought Red Bull were quite surprising. Vettel, not so much. His car is 5kg lighter than Webbers, and theres not much as far as the lap time is concerned between them.

SGWilko
28th March 2009, 12:10

^^^^ I bet he doesn't drink Carling Black Lable.......

ioan
28th March 2009, 12:16
Well so do I, right?

Yeah but without the need to patronize him like that.

pino
28th March 2009, 12:30

Ok, don't respect the post, respect the poster...thank you !

ioan
28th March 2009, 12:37
No, not at all.

What :?:

VkmSpouge
28th March 2009, 15:02
I really enjoyed qualifying, there were so many changes of positions it was so hectic! To have the entire field covered by less than 2 seconds in the first session was great to see.

Well done Brawn! Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello were really close throughout the entire qualifying and to lock out the front row is an excellent start to the season for them.

Red Bull quite impressive, Mark Webber must be disappointed with 10th (8th now the Toyotas have been relegated) he had been 3rd with a couple of minutes to go.