PDA

View Full Version : Gronholm - How many years?

Ranger
11th February 2007, 07:39
At the moment, Marcus Gronholm looks like going to his 26th WRC victory if things stay as is. With form like this, it must be said that he is probably the most competitive post-35 year old in motorsport today.

But how many years of competitive driving are left?

He said at the start of 2006 that if he wins the title, he will retire. If not, he will try again this year.

If I am right, then 2007 is the last year on his Ford contract. But it's hard to imagine that he will retire at the end of this year, considering he still wants to win in this sport.

Based on the 2006 comments, I'll assume that if he wins the WRC title this year, he will retire. If he does retire at the end of this year, then another question has to be asked -

Who will replace him at Ford?

Obviously it has to be someone good, which would rule out Wilson jr. (hopefully). Latvala?

Discuss.

malscar
11th February 2007, 08:16
I would say that he would keep going until the enjoyment goes. Remember, at the beginning of '06 he had just come out of a very frustrating time with the 307.

GigiGalliNo1
11th February 2007, 08:34
I think that it'll be close this year with the points and wins. A good battle with Loeb and Gronholm.

Crap I forgot what I was going to write. I did already but pressed the back button and it disappeared! arrg

Anyways. Replacing Gronholm @ Ford? Moving up all the drivers one position if he retires but think he might fight till the end for the Championship Crown and Mikko would be driver #1.

Solberg and Atkinson stay at Subaru if Atko still has a contract?! Loeb and Sordo stay @ Citroen and Team Mitsubishi - Galli and Gardemeister/Henning Solberg.

Or perhaps Galli to Kronos Citroen :D

Back to Marcus: He'll fight this year with out giving up against Loeb/Solberg and who ever is up in the leader board but I want to see Loeb retire hehe in one round. But then again he could do what he did last year is not compete in 4 rounds and still win the Championship.

Tomi
11th February 2007, 08:37
1-2 years is my guess, or if the win does come by driving sooner.

Erki
11th February 2007, 08:48
With form like this, it must be said that he is probably the most competitive post-35 year old in motorsport today.

I strongly dislike it if NASCAR isn't classified as motorsport. ;)

Ranger
11th February 2007, 09:12
I strongly dislike it if NASCAR isn't classified as motorsport. ;)

Oh I know. :p :

But you see, that's an exception. Due to the nature of NASCAR, the tracks, the cars and everything, it is possible for drivers to keep competing at a high level into their late 40s and early 50s. The same happens with V8 Supercars, and I'm sure its the same with other touring car championships.

As far as other top-tier motorsport is concerned in the present day, there is only a handful of people who remain in the top 10 in their sport when they are nearing or past the age of 40. There are even fewer who still win events and compete for titles at that age, and Marcus Gronholm is one of those people.

Back to the question(s) of the thread...

No one has presented a possible replacement choice for Gronholm. Of course we can fairly safely assume that Mikko Hirvonen will take the #1 spot at Ford. But who will be the other Ford driver post-Gronholm?

A.F.F.
11th February 2007, 09:28
Marcus still loves driving but like many other "elder" drivers, is tired of travelling and other stuff.

My guess is the same as Tomi's. Two years tops but most likely he'll retire sooner.

Corny
11th February 2007, 10:33
2008 will be his last year, if he doesn't win the title

J4MIE
11th February 2007, 12:12
Agree with AFF, it's not the rallying he'll be giving up but the travelling, away from family, PR days, testing etc etc..

I hope he wins it this year and goes out on a high. Maybe Petter will regret signing a 3 year deal with Subaru??

Mihai
11th February 2007, 12:29
What are you talking about? Gronholm will race forever! :)

N.O.T
11th February 2007, 13:24
The speed is there although he cannot win any titles anymore his days are way past for that...but he will score some wins in rallies he knows....My guess is he will retire in 3-4 years

Josti
11th February 2007, 15:04
The speed is there although he cannot win any titles anymore his days are way past for that...but he will score some wins in rallies he knows....My guess is he will retire in 3-4 years

If he can't win a title, I certaintly don't see him driving 3 or 4 more years. I expect him to be out after the 2008 season.

Unlikely or not, Gardemeister would be an excellent replacement.

N.O.T
11th February 2007, 15:12
I think he will continue because he is fast so he will have the delusion of winning a last title....just like makinen...he retired only when he realised that solberg was beating him like a 10 year old who stole candy from a shop.

COD
11th February 2007, 15:14
Very possible that he will retire allready after this year. If not, he will likely only continue year by year as long as he enjoys it. As AFF said, driving he probably enjoys, but not the travelling

M5
11th February 2007, 15:45
If Henning Continues at the same level as in Sweden also on Gravel, and will start to improve on asfalt, then he will be promoted !!!

Lousada
11th February 2007, 15:47
Perhaps he will continue part-time. He is still the only one that can challenge Loeb. Wilson needs Gronholm more than the other way round, so the Finn could ask what he wants.

GigiGalliNo1
11th February 2007, 15:51
Perhaps he will continue part-time.

Ah don't think so.

Maybe like Mäkinen, he will open a School, have a few PWRC teams an such.

Finni
11th February 2007, 15:58
Perhaps he will continue part-time. He is still the only one that can challenge Loeb. Wilson needs Gronholm more than the other way round, so the Finn could ask what he wants.

No he isn't. Wait till Mexico and you will see third player..

N.O.T
11th February 2007, 16:03
sure we will......

Tomi
11th February 2007, 16:05
Maybe like Mäkinen, he will open a School, have a few PWRC teams an such.

I think you might have right about the school thing, he did buy a few years back an education center with his cousin Basti, the place would fit well for a rally school, also i belive that he will focus on helping talented drivers more after his carreer.

MikeD
11th February 2007, 16:08
I think this year or 2008 will be his final year. If Loeb clinches this years title with 2-4 rounds to go then I think Grönholm will give up and end his career after this season.

But if he's not in WRC, then nobody is even close to Loeb. It will be like watching Rossi in MotoGP.

Corny
11th February 2007, 16:51
But if he's not in WRC, then nobody is even close to Loeb. It will be like watching Rossi in MotoGP.
So that'll mean Loeb will lose his title:P?

jens
11th February 2007, 23:40
If he can't win a title, I certaintly don't see him driving 3 or 4 more years. I expect him to be out after the 2008 season.

Unlikely or not, Gardemeister would be an excellent replacement.

:up: Agreed. And I'd like to see Toni back in Ford, I still don't understand, why he was left out after 2005.

Ranger
12th February 2007, 07:10
:up: Agreed. And I'd like to see Toni back in Ford, I still don't understand, why he was left out after 2005.

It's just the impression that he gave during that season, IMO.

He still placed VERY well up the final standings in 2005, but there was no wins and no really strong chance of a win. It could be argued that he didn't LOOK like he was going fast, despite being #1 in the team. Methinks that that was a result of consistency, but I think the overall sense that I got is that he doesn't seem like the best #1 driver for a top team because of his lack of spectacular driving, and he doesn't really seem like the guy who would be the most suitable #2 driver either.

Having said that, he is one of the best guys out there, and considering the contracts of most of the current works guys still go past 2008, theoretically he should be a candidate for that seat.

Not sure Mr Wilson and Ford will see it the same way though.

WRC2006
13th February 2007, 13:56
Believing in what he said before the start of the season 2006, this year should be his final year in rally.

2 -3 more years, I don't see him still competing in top 3 as Mikko, Chris, Sordo and other young drivers will be in their best form to fight for the championship.

Like Schumacher in F1, at the end of this season he will be asked to decide on his future if he wants to continue or not. I know Wilson would wish to see him again.

Who is in good position to replace him in Ford? Shame to Petter for signing 3 years to Subaru. I think Mikko would be promoted to 1st driver as we can see it today, apart Marcus Mikko and Sordo are the Guys who can put some pressure on Loeb.

MJW
13th February 2007, 14:34
Shame to Petter for signing 3 years to Subaru. If you read the interview with Petter in the current issue of RallyWorld, (about his troubled year in 2006) he (Petter) said that he had lots of discussions with Ford and Citroen about joining them, problem with Ford was that he would have to wait one year to 2008 for the vacancy. Petter did not expand too much on the Citroen option. He did say that he felt Subaru would turn around and that the 2008 Subaru would be "something special" -

WRC2006
13th February 2007, 14:46
Yes I have read this interview.

But what happened is that Ford was ready to offer him a seat but a second seat not the first seat. Petter refused this as Marcus had already signed with Ford. And Wilson couldn't sign Petter instead of Marcus as Boss was free and not so expensive like Hollywood.

Remember also what was the tentions and relationship between Wilson (Ford) and Petter when he was moving to Subaru from Ford. Do you think it is finished now? Don't think so.

With Citroen it was the same case. Loeb was the 1st driver then Petter would be the second driver before they choose to sign Sordo. Petter again would feel underestimated being second driver as the full attention in Citroen is for Loeb.

As it was no more better seat left so the final best solution was to re-sign with Subaru and Cash in millions of $$$$$ and the shut up his mouth about the crap car.

Brother John
13th February 2007, 15:13
In a newspaper last weekend at the Uddeholm rally, everyone could read that Grönholm has said. Title or no title this year, I´l stop after this year!

MJW
13th February 2007, 16:55
Yes somehow I get the impression this will be Marcus' last season. I wish him well & despite being a Petter supporter it would be good if Bosse had another championship.

koko0703
13th February 2007, 21:49
If you read the interview with Petter in the current issue of RallyWorld, (about his troubled year in 2006) he (Petter) said that he had lots of discussions with Ford and Citroen about joining them, problem with Ford was that he would have to wait one year to 2008 for the vacancy. Petter did not expand too much on the Citroen option. He did say that he felt Subaru would turn around and that the 2008 Subaru would be "something special" -

Hummm.... interesting.... But Citroen won't build team around Petter, and Ford is only committed til 2008 for now as it was announced it's 4 year commitment after 2004. So Subaru may be the best available, and there is nothing to prevent them from turning around things to get back to where they were before. Another option would be Suzuki, but nobody knows how close they are to the championship, and Petter may not be young enough....

mdesign
17th February 2007, 01:59
If Hirvonen beats gronholm in some rallys this year (unlikely) gronholm might just leave wrc at the end of this year

[WRCRR]
17th February 2007, 12:15
I think you can already see the signs in Bosse. The passion is no longer there 100%. This will be his last year, I think, and for 2008 he will be replaced by Latvala. By that time Hirvonen is more than ready to take the #1 position in the team. Henning will of course continue in the Stobart/Expert team and will hopefully have a new strong teammate (somebody NOT Wilson...).

LotusElise
17th February 2007, 19:29
I think the passion is still there, but his contract is up at the end of the year and he has said on more than one occasion that he will retire after this season. He wants to go out in style.
I can't imagine Marcus wanting to carry on when he knows his heart isn't in it, or if the occasion arose that he knew he couldn't do it.
In my opinion, knowing when to quit is the final act of a great champion. It shows judgement.

jens
17th February 2007, 19:35
Passion or not, but Marcus seems to become a very strong title candidate this season.