PDA

View Full Version : Kris Meeke

bassist
10th March 2009, 12:25
Disappointing that there have not been many British&Ireland forum members congratulating Kris/Paul, on their fantastic result in Brazil over the weekend! The way things are gong with IRC/WRC2010-they could be in a box seat.Perhaps this could be the start of an excellant run in this years IRC, and our new British/Irish challengers to take on the rest in 2010! Well done on a great drive! Sarnau. ;)

big_sw2000
10th March 2009, 12:53
Disappointing that there have not been many British&Ireland forum members congratulating Kris/Paul, on their fantastic result in Brazil over the weekend! The way things are gong with IRC/WRC2010-they could be in a box seat.Perhaps this could be the start of an excellant run in this years IRC, and our new British/Irish challengers to take on the rest in 2010! Well done on a great drive! Sarnau. ;)
Spot on mate.
I think he is probley the quickest on gravel in the IRC, and my faviout for the championship.
But with all due respect he should have Mathew Wilison's seat in a Ford, or even a top works drive in the WRC.
Rember watching him in a Subaru, on the shakedown for Wales Rally Gb, throwing the car around coming up to the stage start, got a good telling off.
THE NEXT COLIN MCRAE, if he can get a full works drive, lets hope this IRC is the break he needs.

VFTS
10th March 2009, 13:42
Spot on mate.
I think he is probley the quickest on gravel in the IRC, and my faviout for the championship.
But with all due respect he should have Mathew Wilison's seat in a Ford, or even a top works drive in the WRC.
Rember watching him in a Subaru, on the shakedown for Wales Rally Gb, throwing the car around coming up to the stage start, got a good telling off.
THE NEXT COLIN MCRAE, if he can get a full works drive, lets hope this IRC is the break he needs.

Juho Hänninen are much faster on gravel.

Mirek
10th March 2009, 14:01
I also think that Juho is the fastest on gravel in IRC. Anyway we'll see on Acores. I hope for good fight :)

Viridian Black
10th March 2009, 15:16
Congrats to kris. i hope to see BOTH Kris Meeke and Guy Wilks in the wrc in the future :) . overall id say guy is abit quicker than kris but im abit biased being a guy wilks fan :P.

big_sw2000
10th March 2009, 16:05
Got to support our fellow Brit. Should be a good battle.
Think Kris is a bit McRae, fast but with the abilty to crash often.

cut the b.s.
10th March 2009, 16:22

Hanninen could well be faster, time will show, but to say he will be much faster is silly, quite simply there is no one rallying today who would be 'much' faster than Meeke on gravel. For sure he has had his share of 'offs' but never to date has anyone ever been much faster than him with similar equipment.

wotaguy
10th March 2009, 19:53
well i know i definatly got me praise in lol, doesnt matter who is faster, you gotta get to the finish, but i think we will see some good fights soon, i agree kris in the subaru was bloody fast, i saw him in killarney 2007 , that was fast !! :eek:

big_sw2000
10th March 2009, 20:56
well i know i definatly got me praise in lol, doesnt matter who is faster, you gotta get to the finish, but i think we will see some good fights soon, i agree kris in the subaru was bloody fast, i saw him in killarney 2007 , that was fast !! :eek:
Maybe im wrong, memory is rubbish. But wasn't he running 5th on Wales Rally GB in the Impreza 2005 2006ish.

big_sw2000
10th March 2009, 20:57
Hanninen could well be faster, time will show, but to say he will be much faster is silly, quite simply there is no one rallying today who would be 'much' faster than Meeke on gravel. For sure he has had his share of 'offs' but never to date has anyone ever been much faster than him with similar equipment.
Spot on, Love the name cut the bs

Buzz Lightyear
10th March 2009, 22:25
Superb perfomance. He simply obliterated the opposition on Friday. I think you will see more of Meeke with WRC going S2000. He is stunningly quick, always has been.

If he has had one fault in the past it was never allowed himself to being beaten by anyone. You can be sure of one thing, if Hanninen is quicker, even if it is the Skoda that is quicker, Meeke will not take it laying down.

big_sw2000
10th March 2009, 23:17
Superb perfomance. He simply obliterated the opposition on Friday. I think you will see more of Meeke with WRC going S2000. He is stunningly quick, always has been.

If he has had one fault in the past it was never allowed himself to being beaten by anyone. You can be sure of one thing, if Hanninen is quicker, even if it is the Skoda that is quicker, Meeke will not take it laying down.
His manager was Colin McRae, and i see some of the great one in Meeke.
Lets hope he dose not push too hard.

J4MIE
11th March 2009, 00:05
Yes he's not bad is he.

RS
11th March 2009, 14:40
Well, Guy Wilks thinks he is faster than Meeke and Hanninen!

To be honest, I would be surprised if Meeke was faster than Hanninen on gravel, but yes, it is stupid to say that Hanninen will be much faster when we haven't seen any recent comparison between them on loose surfaces.

Sulland
15th March 2012, 10:27
What are the plans of Mr Meeke in 2012 ?
Is he still under Prodrive contract, but will not drive any WRC rallies for them ?
Are there any plans from Mini to drive a RRC/SP version of the Mini in IRC ?

If he are not in Prodrives plans, why does he not leave, and try to get something else together ?

WRCS14
15th March 2012, 19:16
I think maybe if there is 5% chance of getting another free rally in a top car then he will stay put. I dont beleive Kris from what I read has the ability to paying a ten thousand euro tyre bill for an event or even to hire a top spec car so thats why he stay in place now.

Where else is he going to go, maybe Volkswagen but I think his chances there would be poor since they evaluate so many and already have one expensive driver, they may choose to go for a free but relatively unproven fast new comer or they might take on the like of Dani if he brings money.

Plan9
16th March 2012, 00:08
Kris is a very rare commodity in rally these days; he is both a smooth/fast driver and a trained mechanical engineer. It would be sensible for any team that wants to develop its cars to hire him asap! However, I read he has a contract with Prodrive for 2013. As it appears there are no better offers I think he would probably sit tight this year and try to be part of whatever Prodrive do next year. I hope he will do GB at least this year.

mousti
16th March 2012, 00:23
Where else is he going to go, maybe Volkswagen but I think his chances there would be poor since they evaluate so many and already have one expensive driver, they may choose to go for a free but relatively unproven fast new comer or they might take on the like of Dani if he brings money.
Forget that. U really think VW doesn't have the money to pay a second driver. VW can hire anybody with a high salary, it's a factory team and it's VAG who's selling over the whole world, they will never get a cheap thing, they will get the best thing available no matter the cost.

tfp
16th March 2012, 19:14
Kris is a very rare commodity in rally these days; he is both a smooth/fast driver and a trained mechanical engineer. It would be sensible for any team that wants to develop its cars to hire him asap! However, I read he has a contract with Prodrive for 2013. As it appears there are no better offers I think he would probably sit tight this year and try to be part of whatever Prodrive do next year. I hope he will do GB at least this year.

Definetly a mechanic :D

I must say I liked this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqfcNlYMsM

:beer:

Plan9
16th March 2012, 23:13
Definetly a mechanic :D

I must say I liked this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqfcNlYMsM

:beer:

I wish Dave had taken Kris' skills into account when deciding the drivers for this year. If Dave was worried about Kris crashing he should look at these videos of Kris at Ypres in 2009. Very mature performance and smooth driving indeed:

Ypres Rally Day One Report - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te-IqmpHA0M&list=PL8E03348AE6DA6BA4&index=7&feature=plpp_video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZEA4n8264&list=PL8E03348AE6DA6BA4&index=8&feature=plpp_video

He can put on good drives when he wants to.

That is a very creepy video that makes for slightly uncomfortable viewing. I saw something similar in Rally NZ 2002 where a weird old guy started fiddling with the nuts off one of Marcus Gronholm's tyres. Marcus didn't ignore him like Kris does here. He went off his nut and used some very sharp language.

N.O.T
18th March 2012, 22:05
I wish Dave had taken Kris' skills into account when deciding the drivers for this year. If Dave was worried about Kris crashing he should look at these videos of Kris at Ypres in 2009. Very mature performance and smooth driving indeed:

Ypres Rally Day One Report - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te-IqmpHA0M&list=PL8E03348AE6DA6BA4&index=7&feature=plpp_video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZEA4n8264&list=PL8E03348AE6DA6BA4&index=8&feature=plpp_video

He can put on good drives when he wants to.

That is a very creepy video that makes for slightly uncomfortable viewing. I saw something similar in Rally NZ 2002 where a weird old guy started fiddling with the nuts off one of Marcus Gronholm's tyres. Marcus didn't ignore him like Kris does here. He went off his nut and used some very sharp language.

are you a real person ???

Plan9
19th March 2012, 08:23
just astonishing...

Kielder
19th April 2012, 00:31
It's a shame for rallying what is happening with him this year. It seems that is forbidden talking about him, that hiding him is needed. For example, when he tested the Mini in Portugal last month, there wasn't any clear image of him (at least I haven't seen anyone). Rumours about some start in WRC or IRC never become true. It's very sad to see his website empty and his twitter account in silent since December. His contract with Prodrive finishes at the end of 2013, very sad...
I post the below video, many times seen, as a tribute. Good luck, Meeke!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLptg6BYNoo

Plan9
19th April 2012, 02:54
I've been forbidden from talking about him. BTW he is seen in the video of Salazar testing the mini in portugal. He is in the co drivers seat. I think his swebsite shows he may be up to something soon as it looks like it is undergoing a revamp. I look forward to 2013. Its going to be make or break for him and for different reasons Mini too.

noel157
19th April 2012, 19:31
It's a shame for rallying what is happening with him this year. It seems that is forbidden talking about him, that hiding him is needed. For example, when he tested the Mini in Portugal last month, there wasn't any clear image of him (at least I haven't seen anyone). Rumours about some start in WRC or IRC never become true. It's very sad to see his website empty and his twitter account in silent since December. His contract with Prodrive finishes at the end of 2013, very sad...
I post the below video, many times seen, as a tribute. Good luck, Meeke!

Perhaps no news is good news?

dimviii
19th April 2012, 20:48
Google PYeklada (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=cs&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/show.php%3Fid%3D19360)

N.O.T
19th April 2012, 22:15
Ogier disagrees....

WRCS14
3rd May 2012, 00:27
I get message maybe he drives in Irland at rally this Sunday but not confirmed yet, Car for event I not no

Pinto
3rd May 2012, 01:49
rumour about tonight that kris may be out on saturday and sunday on the lakes of killarney round 3 of our national championship,nothing confirmed no much talk of what car it could be a DMG sport or a McGeehan motorsport Mini,there could be sense to this talk as paul nagle is a native of killarney and it is his local rally

Plan9
5th May 2012, 23:39
Here is a video of Kris in Germany last year. A very smooth, efficient performance.

Kris Meeke Incar - SS4 WRC Rallye Deutschland 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxmhc6HcNpY)

N.O.T
5th May 2012, 23:49
Here is a video of Kris in Germany last year. A very smooth, efficient performance.

Kris Meeke Incar - SS4 WRC Rallye Deutschland 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxmhc6HcNpY)

very smooth indeed....

Kris Meeke crash SS16 WRC Rallye Deutschland 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQl-f79P6Jo&feature=related)

Plan9
6th May 2012, 11:16
touche

At least in the following video his tendencies did not get the better of him too much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK_87ktZ-5U&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLFB803CBED471D093

I hope that was not his swansong.

Pinto
8th May 2012, 16:05
I get message maybe he drives in Irland at rally this Sunday but not confirmed yet, Car for event I not no

this never happend it was a silly rumour on an irish forum no truth in it at all

Kielder
14th November 2012, 23:11
I hope that next season Meeke won't have as free time as this year for doing things such as the Baja 1000. Good luck there tomorrow and the following days!

http://i50.tinypic.com/106nfrl.jpg

Ripplin
15th November 2012, 07:42
^Ah, I was beaten to the punch in posting that. ;) The story is at wrc.com.

Federov
15th November 2012, 07:59
If Meeke comes back, who's Paul Nagle gonna CD for?

Personally he would make me crap-my-pants nervous. Every time they cut to onboards with him on notes it sounds like the driver he's with is millimeters from DEATH.

Nelly
15th November 2012, 08:21

Personally he would make me crap-my-pants nervous. Every time they cut to onboards with him on notes it sounds like the driver he's with is millimeters from DEATH.

Sensitive issue there bud, go to the shop and buy a bottle of cop on!

noel157
15th November 2012, 08:36

Asinine comment considering the season just past.

AndyRAC
15th November 2012, 08:36
That's a little insensitive.....where's the Mods??

Federov
15th November 2012, 08:40
Calm down, damn. I mostly meant KM, not CB. Someone keeping him cautious like that probably works for him.

Nothing against Craig or Paul, he's just not my cup of tea for a CD. I need someone way more robotic.

noel157
15th November 2012, 08:44
Calm down, damn. I mostly meant KM, not CB. Someone keeping him cautious like that probably works for him.

Nothing against Craig or Paul, he's just not my cup of tea for a CD. I need someone way more robotic.

As I said, asinine.

Federov
15th November 2012, 09:16
Ban me then ****ing dickbags. Elitist pricks the lot of you.

tommeke_B
15th November 2012, 11:17
Great way to make yourself popular... If you're over 12 years old you should be very ashamed now, childish behaviour, below any level...

Mintexmemory
15th November 2012, 13:37
Great way to make yourself popular... If you're over 12 years old you should be very ashamed now, childish behaviour, below any level...

Hang on, weren't people getting nostalgic for a NOT replacement? Welcome Federov!! (Just be careful with the sweeping statements about elitist p***ks - some of us are quite egalatarian p**ks!)

Andre Oliveira
17th August 2017, 20:45
Anyone still thinking that Meeke will get 2018 seat?

Why Citroën will bet on Kris, with Mikkelsen, Breen and Lefebvre? It is not only the performance, it is the cost! Salary and damage

N.O.T
17th August 2017, 21:52
thank you jesus for resurrecting this thread.....

Andre Oliveira
17th August 2017, 21:57
Better than start another one ;)

Come on NOT, say something about the theme

rallyfun
17th August 2017, 22:06
He keep crushing since he's won IRC title, no matter what car or category. Why are some of you surprised? Thanks to very lucky escape in Mexico he's got more than 6 points in championship. He tested a car for a year and now complained its rubbish wtf...

stefanvv
17th August 2017, 22:09

Do You have a collection of those?

N.O.T
17th August 2017, 22:12

Come on NOT, say something about the theme

Meeke is Meeke you cannot teach an old dog new tricks... he is a driver that can win rallies and that is it...

Citroen are not a serious team anymore, they are just there to advertise the arabs and nothing more, so meeke is a good moving publicity stunt for them. Mikkelsen should not bother with them if he wants a career.

mknight
17th August 2017, 22:19
Do You have a collection of those?

http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?37265-Thoughts-on-Kris-Meeke-s-Recent-Performances

stefanvv
17th August 2017, 22:28
http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?37265-Thoughts-on-Kris-Meeke-s-Recent-Performances

That's not a collection, it is a singleton. But You are in a hurry, I'm almost sure there are more.

Andre Oliveira
17th August 2017, 22:29
Yes, i searched and found at least 4. Choosed the most simple, only Kris Meeke ;)

stefanvv
17th August 2017, 22:33
only Kris Meeke ;)

That's not simple, it is more complicated than any other.

edit: an example - if I tell You 1, You might wonder what I'm trying to say, this is complicated, but if I tell You 1+1, than it is much cleaner, well at least in simple mathematics. I think I went too far anyway, I need a snooze.

wrc2017
17th August 2017, 22:49
Just seen SSS.. gutted for Kris. The guy is only trying his best. He has the talent, but its just not working at the moment. Did you notice he was 1.4s up on Mikkelsen after 1 pass.. at that pace it was 2.8s after 2. Its was way too quick. We all know you cant win a rally only lose on these SSS. BTW.. that stage was super tricky and narrow.

Essaj
17th August 2017, 23:23
Just seen SSS.. gutted for Kris. The guy is only trying his best. He has the talent, but its just not working at the moment. Did you notice he was 1.4s up on Mikkelsen after 1 pass.. at that pace it was 2.8s after 2. Its was way too quick. We all know you cant win a rally only lose on these SSS. BTW.. that stage was super tricky and narrow.

Yeah and everyone else made it trough. Kris seriously has to realize that he needs to finish the rallies to get the result.

Sulland
17th August 2017, 23:25
Citroen are not a serious team anymore, they are just there to advertise the arabs and nothing more

is there something wrong with Arabs?

stefanvv
17th August 2017, 23:25
Yeah and everyone else made it trough. Kris seriously has to realize that he needs to finish the rallies to get the result.

He finished the Finnish rally, that must count.

wrc2017
17th August 2017, 23:35
I think he knows that. He can still finish this rally. Its just very disappointing. Citroen now havent a hope of getting a good result before the end of the season.

Essaj
17th August 2017, 23:38
He finished the Finnish rally, that must count.

Yeah it dose. it was Meeke's 2nd top 10 finish this year, WELL DONE!

wrc2017
17th August 2017, 23:39
When did u last finish in the top 10 in the world at anything?

stefanvv
17th August 2017, 23:44

"It", well. However You pointed out he needs to finish to get the results, I just stated the facts. He did it.

Essaj
17th August 2017, 23:47
When did u last finish in the top 10 in the world at anything?

Thought this thread was about Meeke, guess I was wrong.

wrc2017
17th August 2017, 23:53
.. answer my question.
Thought this thread was about Meeke, guess I was wrong.

Essaj
17th August 2017, 23:56
"It", well. However You pointed out he needs to finish to get the results, I just stated the facts. He did it.

Maybe his team is looking for more than just 2 top 10's out of 9 races when at the start of the season he was one of the championship contenders.
Yes, Citroen aint where it should be but Meeke should still have way more points that he currently has.
And I do feel for him, he has to have tons of pressure on his shoulders but crashing on a first stage is not something you should be doing.

stefanvv
18th August 2017, 00:29
May be this thread is not so proper really. Perhaps there should be a new one, like "Meeke & Matton", or "Meeke & Citroen", there can be said little more perhaps.

Andre Oliveira
18th August 2017, 01:26
I don’t have any interest, for now, in Matton or Citroën relationship. I was preoccupied with Kris. It seems game over to him.

racerx1979
18th August 2017, 08:09
Chances are high he will push and wreck again this weekend

seb_sh
18th August 2017, 08:31
He might bin it even if he doesn't push, his confidence must be quite low at the moment and a small hesitation can be costly on this rally.

I think he needs a season where he isn't the top driver in the team to relieve some pressure and to get his head back together.

mknight
18th August 2017, 13:29
Citroen now havent a hope of getting a good result before the end of the season.

Posted tonight. Meeke is Citroen's only hope....ok.

Eli
18th August 2017, 13:39
Posted tonight. Meeke is Citroen's only hope....ok.

What about Mikkelsen?? he is leading ATM so? wouldn't place all the eggs in one bag. Unless you were being sarcastic, in that case, sorry to offend you.

mknight
18th August 2017, 13:57
Thought it was rather obvious how sarcastic I was. Saying Meeke is Citroens only hope at this point is rather.... interesting.

Eli
18th August 2017, 14:02
Thought it was rather obvious how sarcastic I was. Saying Meeke is Citroen's only hope at this point is rather.... interesting.

I wasn't sure, that's why I added the last part. Anyhow it is pretty peculiar of them saying that.

wrc2017
18th August 2017, 18:09
What part of the word 'result' do you not understand
Thought it was rather obvious how sarcastic I was. Saying Meeke is Citroens only hope at this point is rather.... interesting.

WUff1
18th August 2017, 19:12
I fear Meeke´s career in WRC is over. He´d need some long break with psychological treatment, but a break would finally be the end.

Andre Oliveira
18th August 2017, 19:25
Why Citroën would choose Meeke instead Mikkelsen for example?

wrc2017
18th August 2017, 19:29
Why Citroën would choose Meeke instead Mikkelsen for example? are you basing your call on 7 stages today, because before today his result were nothing.

wrc2017
18th August 2017, 19:33
I fear Meeke´s career in WRC is over. He´d need some long break with psychological treatment, but a break would finally be the end.

so Matton decision was right? before he was leading rallys, now his confidence is shot.
Do you really expect him to come back from a layoff and be winning rallys.. how does that work in your head?
Sordo, Lappi, Latvala, Ogier, Breen, Neuville, Tanak were all totally out of road today, and only by pure chance they didnt take a wheel off. Meeke took it easy today and took no chances, after yesterdays mistake, now your blaming him?

mknight
18th August 2017, 19:54
are you basing your call on 7 stages today, because before today his result were nothing.

Better speed and results in C3 in Poland than Meeke in Finland. Including best C3 results in PS of the year.

3 times 3rd place in WRC championship, barely loosing second last year. Beating Ogier for the win in straight fight in same car. Clearly faster than Latvala in same car whole second half of 2016.

"Nothing". Pointless discussion really.

wrc2017
18th August 2017, 20:04
Better speed and results C3 in Poland than Meeke in Finland.

3 times 3rd place in WRC championship, barely loosing second last year. Beating Ogier for the win in straight fight in same car. Clearly faster than Latvala in same car whole second half of 2016.

"Nothing".

Mikkelsen was better in Poland than Meeke was in Finland... 2 events where these didn't compete against each other, then you go on to talk being 3rd best in a Volkswagen. You need to cleanse your nerd head and actually sit in a WRC car, and get the sh1t scared out of you, and stop trawling over e-wrc to find stats to suit your skewed arguments.

KKS
18th August 2017, 20:52
Better speed and results in C3 in Poland than Meeke in Finland. Including best C3 results in PS of the year.

"Nothing". Pointless discussion really.
tonnes of bull$hit

noel157
18th August 2017, 21:56
Mikkelsen was better in Poland than Meeke was in Finland... 2 events where these didn't compete against each other, then you go on to talk being 3rd best in a Volkswagen. You need to cleanse your nerd head and actually sit in a WRC car, and get the sh1t scared out of you, and stop trawling over e-wrc to find stats to suit your skewed arguments.

The guy doesn't listen, obsessed with Meeke, you'd think he had asked him for an autograph was told to f off.
Telling lies and making up stuff about Loeb's test and not having the cajones to stand over the statement. Guy is a waster.

Eric
18th August 2017, 21:57
tonnes of bull$hit

Name one team in WRC that would pick Meeke over Mikkelsen. Meeke is over the top. Mikkelsen is young and talented.

olemann
18th August 2017, 22:18
Something is wrong. Tanak or Mikkelsen should not be in the top of an asphalt rally the first day against the likes of Ogier and Neuville.

er88
19th August 2017, 00:37
Name one team in WRC that would pick Meeke over Mikkelsen. Meeke is over the top. Mikkelsen is young and talented.Well...., you could say Toyota for starters. Tried to sign Meeke, pushed the boat out with a multi year contract and offered millions a year in wages. Meeke visited the team base and talked with Makinen extensively. Then when Andreas was a free agent - begging for anyone to give him a drive - Tommi didn't bat an eyelid (neither did Citroen at first). Surely if Tommi really rated Andreas as highly as the man he wanted to build his team around (Meeke), he would've given Mikkelsen a drive when he was right under their noses?

Citroen will also go into next year (from what I've heard, unless something changes in the next month) with Meeke for a full season, and no Mikkelsen.

People can rightfully or wrongfully agree or disagree with your statement, but the above is what we have to base the evidence on so far.

Ofcourse it could be different now after Meeke's poor year but even still, Andreas as of yet hasn't done anything in his C3 outings that Meeke hasn't done as well (Meeke didn't just fight at the front on a tarmac rally, he dominated Corsica. Also won in Mexico).

I do myself think Andreas would be a better long term bet than Meeke, but I don't think some team principals are as convinced as some fans on here. They have doubts about him, otherwise he would be locked into a long term contract right now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

car
19th August 2017, 00:57
Well...., you could say Toyota for starters. Tried to sign Meeke, pushed the boat out with a multi year contract and offered millions a year in wages. Meeke visited the team base and talked with Makinen extensively. Then when Andreas was a free agent - begging for anyone to give him a drive - Tommi didn't bat an eyelid (neither did Citroen at first). Surely if Tommi really rated Andreas as highly as the man he wanted to build his team around (Meeke), he would've given Mikkelsen a drive when he was right under their noses?

Citroen will also go into next year (from what I've heard, unless something changes in the next month) with Meeke for a full season, and no Mikkelsen.

People can rightfully or wrongfully agree or disagree with your statement, but the above is what we have to base the evidence on so far.

Ofcourse it could be different now after Meeke's poor year but even still, Andreas as of yet hasn't done anything in his C3 outings that Meeke hasn't done as well (Meeke didn't just fight at the front on a tarmac rally, he dominated Corsica. Also won in Mexico).

I do myself think Andreas would be a better long term bet than Meeke, but I don't think some team principals are as convinced as some fans on here. They have doubts about him, otherwise he would be locked into a long term contract right now.

What an excellent post.

sonnybobiche
19th August 2017, 01:40
Well...., you could say Toyota for starters. Tried to sign Meeke, pushed the boat out with a multi year contract and offered millions a year in wages. Meeke visited the team base and talked with Makinen extensively. Then when Andreas was a free agent - begging for anyone to give him a drive - Tommi didn't bat an eyelid (neither did Citroen at first). Surely if Tommi really rated Andreas as highly as the man he wanted to build his team around (Meeke), he would've given Mikkelsen a drive when he was right under their noses?

Personally, I've never rated Meeke at all and I rate Mikkelsen about average, but let's be fair. The reason Meeke was getting super generous offers from Toyota and Mikkelsen got none is that in 2015/2016 Toyota was desperate to sign a winning driver. They had been courting everyone from Latvala to Loeb, even Petter Solberg. Finally after VW blew up they signed Latvala, with whom they had already been in talks for over a year. When Mikkelsen came looking for work, they didn't have a seat for him, hence no attention. Heck, they didn't even have a seat for Lappi at that point. So I don't think that reflects any real opinions that Tommi may have had of Meeke's vs Mikkelsen's ability.

stefanvv
19th August 2017, 05:50
Meeke didn't just fight at the front on a tarmac rally, he dominated Corsica.

Going into stage 7 when his engine blew up he was 1.5 secs ahead of Neuville. Hardly a domination really. People are still citing Corsica as the event where it "was not his fault", but lets be fair, with Neuville chasing him hard in the event where C3 was supposed to dominate with couple of stages to go, the mistake was lingering there somewhere and it only didn't happen because his car gave up first.

er88
19th August 2017, 05:55
Personally, I've never rated Meeke at all and I rate Mikkelsen about average, but let's be fair. The reason Meeke was getting super generous offers from Toyota and Mikkelsen got none is that in 2015/2016 Toyota was desperate to sign a winning driver. They had been courting everyone from Latvala to Loeb, even Petter Solberg. Finally after VW blew up they signed Latvala, with whom they had already been in talks for over a year. When Mikkelsen came looking for work, they didn't have a seat for him, hence no attention. Heck, they didn't even have a seat for Lappi at that point. So I don't think that reflects any real opinions that Tommi may have had of Meeke's vs Mikkelsen's ability.I get your point there, but imo Makinen and Matton could easily have found space for Andreas at the start of the year if they *really* wanted to. My take is that they didn't feel he was good enough to warrant the extra cost/ sidelining much weaker drivers in Hanninen and Lefebrve.

Both teams should have signed him there and then and basically everyone on this forum thought so as well, but it needed a total Citroen crisis for one of the team managers to reconsider (and even then it's only been a deal for a few events). Doesn't give off the vibe that the two managers rate the guy anywhere near as highly as they probably should.

mknight
19th August 2017, 06:35
I get your point there, but imo Makinen and Matton could easily have found space for Andreas at the start of the year if they *really* wanted to. My take is that they didn't feel he was good enough to warrant the extra cost/ sidelining much weaker drivers in Hanninen and Lefebrve.

Both teams should have signed him there and then and basically everyone on this forum thought so as well, but it needed a total Citroen crisis for one of the team managers to reconsider (and even then it's only been a deal for a few events). Doesn't give off the vibe that the two managers rate the guy anywhere near as highly as they probably should.

For Makinen it was a very specific situation, there was clear non-performance reasons for Latvala: He's Finish living close to the team base afaik, same manager as Makinen and experience from both Ford and VW to help with development, in the end rather obvious pick.

Replacing Hanninen with Mikkelsen at that point would be a bit risky imo, Hanninen was the only driver that was there during the whole car development and had a contract. Didn't look like they had so much many at that point. Prbly got more after good start of the season.

---------
As for Matton well his quote of not being interested in either Latvala or Mikkelsen "cause they are not French and don't have 4 titles and he has a driver lineup" will clearly go down in WRC history. It resulted in car with major issues (likely things would change if Latvala or Mikkelsen came and said it was crap (like Mikkelsen did in Sardinia)), Lefevbre crashing in every rally and first doing a decent result in Poland... and Meeke.

Also at this point Mikkelsen has not proved fast in any other car than VW... his outings with R5 showed it was not only the car.

----------------------------------
Comparing Meeke (since we are in this thread) and Mikkelsen is like comparing McRae and Burns in 2002-2003.

Meeke is win or crash (lately mostly the second part). With lots of stage wins results in "what ifs" all around.

Mikkelsen is quite different. Even in rallies which he won he barely sets 1-2 top stage times. Instead it's always very close to the stage winner but possibly with a good lead overall. This does not really inspire standing ovations from fans/jurnos following rallies stage by stage. Friday here in germany is an example. Even better example is one section in Poland. Mikkelsen beat Lefevbre by 10s on first stage, then was 1-2s behind in 3 stages after that. For the section that meant some 3-4s ahead. Yet the quote from WRC Radio was "Lefevbre is consistently faster".

AnttiL
19th August 2017, 06:38
I've heard that Latvala was chosen over Mikkelsen because Latvala has more experience from developing cars. Also the reason why Hänninen is driving this season is that he's the main guy developing and testing the car and it's a part of the development program to complete the season, not to collect maximum manufacturer points.

I didn't know Meeke was negotiating with Toyota, but after Rally Finland 2016, I think anyone would have wanted him.

WUff1
19th August 2017, 08:08
so Matton decision was right? before he was leading rallys, now his confidence is shot.
Do you really expect him to come back from a layoff and be winning rallys.. how does that work in your head?
Sordo, Lappi, Latvala, Ogier, Breen, Neuville, Tanak were all totally out of road today, and only by pure chance they didnt take a wheel off. Meeke took it easy today and took no chances, after yesterdays mistake, now your blaming him?

You know it´s not only Germany.

Meeke looks like a psychological wreck sometimes.

wia5958
19th August 2017, 09:19
Going into stage 7 when his engine blew up he was 1.5 secs ahead of Neuville. Hardly a domination really. People are still citing Corsica as the event where it "was not his fault", but lets be fair, with Neuville chasing him hard in the event where C3 was supposed to dominate with couple of stages to go, the mistake was lingering there somewhere and it only didn't happen because his car gave up first.

Yeah going into 7 it may have been that. Meeke never started stage 7. His engine blew in the last kms of stage 6 and he coasted to the end of it. His lead prior to that over neuville was nearly 20s if i mind right. But feel free to correct me if im wrong and do ur research a little better. And as for him crashing id love to c the crystal ball u have when ur so certain he would have crashed. Give the guy a break. Yeah performances lately havent been great. If ur boss undermines something u do at work when u know you have busted ur balls doin it. and he says thats not good enough ur sweeping the floor for a week. Are u gonna give it ur all again or say f@*k this and lay back and do the least amount required for a while

dimviii
19th August 2017, 09:43
Yeah going into 7 it may have been that. Meeke never started stage 7. His engine blew in the last kms of stage 6 and he coasted to the end of it. His lead prior to that over neuville was nearly 20s if i mind right.

that's right

KKS
19th August 2017, 09:59
or Mikkelsen came and said it was crap (like Mikkelsen did in Sardinia)),
Meeke said that but team has "own opinion" about this and ignore all that.... and here Mikkelsen come and says exactly the same and after that Matton start to think a little bit.

Yeah, Meeke is not mentally strength guy but it's not good team spirit inside a team when tech do what they want and driver must use to it. You never be fast in this circumstances. Why they sign Meeke and then "eat" him inside a team....

as for question:

Name one team in WRC that would pick Meeke over Mikkelsen. Meeke is over the top. Mikkelsen is young and talented.
M-Sport.

Mikkelsen is grew up on VW totall domination and he always be 3rd on this cheaty car. All this talks about "He beat Ogier in same car" it's blablablah. How many times he do that? Ones? per 4 years? Really great achievement! And he looks strong at 2016 cuz Latvala was mentally down and couldn't drive at full strength. But he not good as Ogier or Latvala.
And gravel rallys show that he on Breen level... or maybe a little bit higher.

mknight
19th August 2017, 10:28
And gravel rallys show that he on Breen level... or maybe a little bit higher.

Which rallies?
Poland where he beat Breen clearly in same car?
Also where is Meeke on gravel rallies compared with Breen looking at points and Finland result?

Two of Mikkelsens wins are on gravel, both in rallies where Ogier and Latvala didn't have tech. issues.

--------
Btw. Matton said that Loeb used Breens and Mikkelsens setup on his test but not Meekes cause it was "too much of a racing car". Kinda puts doubt on the ideas that "the engineers" developed the C3 contrary to Meekes wishes.

wia5958
19th August 2017, 10:40
Which rallies?
Poland where he beat Breen clearly in same car?
Also where is Meeke on gravel rallies compared with Breen looking at points and Finland result?

Two of Mikkelsens wins are on gravel, both in rallies where Ogier and Latvala didn't have tech. issues.

--------
Btw. Matton said that Loeb used Breens and Mikkelsens setup on his test but not Meekes cause it was "too much of a racing car". Kinda puts doubt on the ideas that "the engineers" developed the C3 contrary to Meekes wishes.

Ever think that this could mean he preferred meekes setup giving that loeb is quite a nose first driver as racecars normally are and that driving mikklesons and breens setups may have give him some insight to where the flaws are in the car. Just because he said meekes setup was like a racecar it does not mean he didnt like or prefer it

And as for mikklesons wins he inherited 2 of them poland where tanak was unlucky with a puncture spain ogier crashed and he won in australia a last event of the year where ogier had the title and nothing to fight for im not taking his wins away from him but they are the facts

And if u want to compare the 3 drivers at least do it on rallys where the 3 of them competed against each other and on the same events and were all in top form for this go back to 2016 instead of comparing 1 driver on 1 rally to another driver on a completely different rally

mknight
19th August 2017, 10:45
Ever think that this could mean he preferred meekes setup giving that loeb is quite a nose first driver as racecars normally are and that driving mikklesons and breens setups may have give him some insight to where the flaws are in the car. Just because he said meekes setup was like a racecar it does not mean he didnt like or prefer it

You mean he will on purpose not try the settings he prefers on a car that he has never drive before? Uhh.

Anyway it's just a comment Matton made in the pre-event press conf+interview. Maybe no need to read too much into it.

wia5958
19th August 2017, 10:52
Do u know what the exact purpose of loebs test was. Cause i dont. Do you know if he was told get in and drive the car as fast as u can in your preferred setup or was he told seb drive the car can u tell us what u think can be done to make it better

wrc2017
19th August 2017, 11:02
Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression your stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

You mean he will on purpose not try the settings he prefers on a car that he has never drive before? Uhh.

Anyway it's just a comment Matton made in the pre-event press conf+interview. Maybe no need to read too much into it.

wrc2017
19th August 2017, 11:03
Loeb tested at Alsace, not Germany like the others.
Do u know what the exact purpose of loebs test was. Cause i dont. Do you know if he was told get in and drive the car as fast as u can in your preferred setup or was he told seb drive the car can u tell us what u think can be done to make it better

mknight
19th August 2017, 11:27
Personal attacks is the only way to go for you now. As of now you are down to every second post like that.
You still have a bit left to NOT level, but not much.

wrc2017
19th August 2017, 11:53
Its directly proportional to the amount of shite you talk.
Personal attacks is the only way to go for you now. As of now you are down to every second post like that.

stefanvv
19th August 2017, 11:59
I don’t have any interest, for now, in Matton or Citroën relationship. I was preoccupied with Kris. It seems game over to him.

Well, let's hope this thread goes in the right direction;)

N.O.T
19th August 2017, 12:49
is there something wrong with Arabs?

something ? of course not...

Everything, yes.

rhm
19th August 2017, 18:56
Back to Meeke:
Last year I believed Latvala was heading towards the end of his career. He looked like a broken man. This year he looks like he has found his mojo and could be a genuine championship contender if it hadn't been for a few mechanical issues.

Meeke needs to reset and find his groove. He has pace and on his day can be right in the mix. Some confidence and support with the car and from the team is needed. How this is achieved is anyone's guess. Dropping him for a rally probably wasn't the best move and hasn't worked.

Couple of rallies to the end of the season to keep working hard and hope it comes together. It's anyone's guess what Citroens next move is but I don't see a full-time Loeb return. Taking Meeke, Loeb, Mikkelsen and Breen on extended test sessions is probably the best bet with 2018 in mind.

The car has bags of potential but they need to dial it in for all drivers at the same time. No use having a single driver leading a rally and the others pulling their hair out at the wrong end of the top ten working like hell to keep it on the road or terrified to get any pace out of it without going off.

dimviii
19th August 2017, 19:06
Back to Meeke:
Last year I believed Latvala was heading towards the end of his career. He looked like a broken man. This year he looks like he has found his mojo and could be a genuine championship contender if it hadn't been for a few mechanical issues.

Meeke needs to reset and find his groove. He has pace and on his day can be right in the mix. Some confidence and support with the car and from the team is needed. How this is achieved is anyone's guess. Dropping him for a rally probably wasn't the best move and hasn't worked.

Couple of rallies to the end of the season to keep working hard and hope it comes together. It's anyone's guess what Citroens next move is but I don't see a full-time Loeb return. Taking Meeke, Loeb, Mikkelsen and Breen on extended test sessions is probably the best bet with 2018 in mind.

The car has bags of potential but they need to dial it in for all drivers at the same time. No use having a single driver leading a rally and the others pulling their hair out at the wrong end of the top ten working like hell to keep it on the road or terrified to get any pace out of it without going off.

very nice post,but we have to remember that at Latvalas case he had the money to participate non stop for more than 10 years at wrc,to see this result at 2017. Meeke hasn't got these ''chances''.
I don't want to think that Meeke is ''finished'' after all these have happened.
is a driver that at right circumstances can be in the mix.
don't know though how strong mentally he is to turn this situation.

N.O.T
19th August 2017, 19:44

nobody is even close to my level kid... get your facts right.

bassist
20th August 2017, 09:52
Kris must be in a really bad place. He appears to have had the 'stuffing' knocked out of him. Perhaps it's time to contemplate his future!

Andre Oliveira
21st August 2017, 18:06
Hope i am wrong, but i think Meeke will not go to Catalunya.

racerx1979
21st August 2017, 19:19
Why would Kris not be going to Catalunya? I thought the driver line up was already chosen for Spain?

Tarmop
21st August 2017, 19:50
He was supposed to go to Poland too...

Jinu13
23rd August 2017, 08:14
Can anyone update me on what happened to Meeke's car in Germany? I know he crashed in Saarbrucken but he did restart after that. Next think I know the car is covered up on Sat night. I couldn't get internet in Germany and nothing was mentioned on WRC news or the highlights (is he not worth a mention anymore?)

AnttiL
23rd August 2017, 08:15
Can anyone update me on what happened to Meeke's car in Germany? I know he crashed in Saarbrucken but he did restart after that. Next think I know the car is covered up on Sat night. I couldn't get internet in Germany and nothing was mentioned on WRC news or the highlights (is he not worth a mention anymore?)

Water pump failure, they didn't want to continue to risk overheating the engine. Also Paul Nagle's wife gave birth to a baby on Saturday so it was another reason not to do rally2 on sunday, and they didn't feel like achieving anything on the sunday stages either.

AnttiK7
5th February 2018, 15:36
My impression of Kris Meeke is that he can still become a World Champion if he just manages to relax himself in the car a couple of notches somehow, it is not a question of talent or speed and the age is not a problem either. But when I watch a Kris Meeke onboard, even his amazing Ouninpohja onboard from 2016, it's like watching something that is wound a bit too tight and which would perform a lot better if it was a bit looser. His basic driving style is very nice and smooth and he has everything it takes in that sense. But I think his pacenotes are a big problem. Just way too much information in my opinion, which eventually leads to more mistakes as the brain has too much information to process at the same time. I think Petter Solberg also ended up having the same problem in his career. More information is only good until a certain point from where it will become a big disadvantage. It feels like Meeke's co-driver often has to hurry to keep up and somehow it is all a bit too intense and forced from both Meeke and Nagle, rather than a nice and relaxed performance. I would go with Nicky Grist type of reading and Colin McRae level of simplicity any day over Kris Meeke notes.

Rallyper
5th February 2018, 17:04
Maybe also Richard Burns was too much ambitious with his pace notes.

Best example of the other way around must be Tommie Makinen in Finland. Don´t know his PN in other rallies.

itix
5th February 2018, 18:27
My impression of Kris Meeke is that he can still become a World Champion if he just manages to relax himself in the car a couple of notches somehow, it is not a question of talent or speed and the age is not a problem either. But when I watch a Kris Meeke onboard, even his amazing Ouninpohja onboard from 2016, it's like watching something that is wound a bit too tight and which would perform a lot better if it was a bit looser. His basic driving style is very nice and smooth and he has everything it takes in that sense. But I think his pacenotes are a big problem. Just way too much information in my opinion, which eventually leads to more mistakes as the brain has too much information to process at the same time. I think Petter Solberg also ended up having the same problem in his career. More information is only good until a certain point from where it will become a big disadvantage. It feels like Meeke's co-driver often has to hurry to keep up and somehow it is all a bit too intense and forced from both Meeke and Nagle, rather than a nice and relaxed performance. I would go with Nicky Grist type of reading and Colin McRae level of simplicity any day over Kris Meeke notes.

Unless my memory deceives me, Paul reads the notes really close to the actual corner... like notes for only one corner ahead. Many other drivers have notes several corners ahead.

stefanvv
5th February 2018, 18:43
Unless my memory deceives me, Paul reads the notes really close to the actual corner... like notes for only one corner ahead. Many other drivers have notes several corners ahead.

May be so, in Monte Meeke's off on the first stage the "respect the ice" note seems to came when the car was already in trouble.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2018, 12:31
I agree.. I've often wondered how on earth Kris takes in so much information. And yes I thought the same about Solberg.

I wonder if a new notes system or even a new co-driver could be tried, assuming it is an issue ?

T16
6th February 2018, 12:45
I agree.. I've often wondered how on earth Kris takes in so much information. And yes I thought the same about Solberg.

I wonder if a new notes system or even a new co-driver could be tried, assuming it is an issue ?

Don't forget - he has won rallys with this co-driver and he must feel comfortable with these notes, otherwise why wouldn't he have changed them by now?

T16
6th February 2018, 12:51
May be so, in Monte Meeke's off on the first stage the "respect the ice" note seems to came when the car was already in trouble.

Just watched that bit of stage... Paul's call "Easy now Kris, respect the ice" wasn't a scheduled note... it was him realising that Kris was going a bit too quick, given the on-off nature of ice in that section... I guess he was right to try and get Kris to slow a little, therefore it wasn't a late call, just general advice.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2018, 13:39
Don't forget - he has won rallys with this co-driver and he must feel comfortable with these notes, otherwise why wouldn't he have changed them by now?

But he's crashed on a lot more rallies than he's won...

Probably too late to change now anyway.

dupanton
6th February 2018, 15:05
Detailed notes are good, but when you go to quicker cars it might become more difficult for the driver and/or codriver to keep up with the notes.
Somebody who was a test codriver told me that they had to simplify the notes from previous tests when they switched to the new generation WRC car.
I've difficulties to understand everything when listening to Paul Nagles notes. Ifcourse English is not my native language, but I've got neraly no problems understanding Dan Barritt or Martin Scott. I can't follow it because it is too much information and there is no clear intonation because he has to talk so fast.

But, only thing that is important, is that driver and codriver understand each other. I don't think that is his biggest problem.

AnttiK7
6th February 2018, 16:48
there is no clear intonation because he has to talk so fast.

Ah yes lack of intonation, good point. Different drivers have different preferences, but I think good use of intonation is one of the key elements of good pacenote reading. Timo Rautiainen and Luis Moya (I hope he is doing well) were both very good examples of great use of intonation. Both had a very wide range of vocal scale for different situations. Sometimes Moya used to also point clearly at a corner ahead if he thought it required extra special attention. Curiously both Grönholm-Rautiainen and Sainz-Moya would also quite often talk "off-topic" with each other mid stage. It's funny to look back at Grönholm onboards and see Rautiainen crack jokes mid stage or Grönholm giving Rautiainen some random feedback on different things. I think it was also their way to keep things relaxed enough, not too intense.

Also Sainz had a note I haven't seen other drivers really use, but which I like very much, "para zona rápida" which translates roughly to "fast zone begins" or "fast section begins". It wasn't for straights as such, but it was a note called always at the beginning of a long enough section with only fast speed corners in it. If this type of section was broken up by a medium or slow speed corner, Moya would very clearly and loudly call that particular note and sometimes also use his hand to point at the road/corner ahead. And then call out para zona rápida again, if the fast stuff continued from there again immediately. This note and technique helps a lot with the driver finding rhythm and confidence, as well as reduces mistakes caused by sudden changes of rhythm in the road. As one of the number one spots for mistakes to happen because of pacenotes read too late/too unclearly/with a lack of intonation is when coming from a fast speed into a slower corner with a hidden braking area. If a braking area into a tighter corner is blinded by a short preceding corner, then that type of place is really the number one spot for crashes that have their root cause in pacenotes. Of the top of my head Hirvonen's 2014 Argentina crash is a prime example of this. Another good one would be Hirvonen in 2013 Sardinia.

But yeah it does make sense that the faster the car is through the stage, the less information you should basically have for all around successful pacenotes. There's only so much human brain can process at any given moment.

mknight
6th February 2018, 16:54
Well it's hard to separate "not understanding a note" from "not following a note". But it has happened to Meeke multiple times before that he did something that the note said he shouldn't.
Most clear recent example is the puncture in Finland where it said "don't cut" in the notes and he went in and got a puncture.

Anyway the question now is whether very detailed notes are even necessary with all the video-watching, might even be more important with "specific" notes to clearly remember the corners.
Ex. "left 3 house" instead of "slight left 3 tightens into 4 narrow, neat exit".

dupanton
6th February 2018, 17:03
Well it's hard to separate "not understanding a note" from "not following a note". But it has happened to Meeke multiple times before that he did something that the note said he shouldn't.
Most clear recent example is the puncture in Finland where it said "don't cut" in the notes and he went in and got a puncture.

Anyway the question now is whether very detailed notes are even necessary with all the video-watching, might even be more important with "specific" notes to clearly remember the corners.
Ex. "left 3 house" instead of "slight left 3 tightens into 4 narrow, neat exit".

Yeah, even know a driver that gives difficult places a "name", so he remembers it. I had a note "lightning tree" (there was a very distinct tree stump there that was hit by lightning) and pheasant (we encountered one during recce of a difficult couple of corners). I still remember these places now :)

PLuto
8th February 2018, 21:19
Kris was testing before Sweden - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFoDsdLAEI8

PLuto
14th February 2018, 23:15
Citroën prepared brand new car for Kris Meeke to Sweden ;)

https://scontent.fprg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/27983477_911317085690474_7962800380123431665_o.jpg ?oh=0e5c5ba9cc79a47a346daf8934e7b418&oe=5B0E569E

KKS
15th February 2018, 00:19
Feel the same. Too late pacenotes call from Paul. But it maybe that what Kris asked him to do. If that continue from rally to rally - Kris like that how pacenotes been call out

steve.mandzij
15th February 2018, 15:30
Feel the same. Too late pacenotes call from Paul. But it maybe that what Kris asked him to do. If that continue from rally to rally - Kris like that how pacenotes been call outNot only that, but his pacenotes are very very detailed. In the rush to bring all the information in time Paul might stumble over a word or Kris has a higher chance of misunderstanding. His Mexico crash is the perfect example.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

wrc2017
15th February 2018, 16:58
Not only that, but his pacenotes are very very detailed. In the rush to bring all the information in time Paul might stumble over a word or Kris has a higher chance of misunderstanding. His Mexico crash is the perfect example.

no it was not. its was the high speed damper crashing right though the the chassis.

steve.mandzij
15th February 2018, 17:21
no it was not. its was the high speed damper crashing right though the the chassis.He was too fast for the corner anyways.

bandit12
15th February 2018, 17:44
It's always heartwarming, when Kris wins the race. Really happy to tears lad.

Crazy J
27th November 2019, 13:55
Any post season self-analysis from Meeke published yet? Or other comments after TGR 2020 driver lineup launch.

KiwiWRCfan
11th January 2020, 18:02
Ben Constanduros caught up with Kris for a chat during Dakar 2020 in Saudi Arabia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve38dN7C3xU

RS
11th January 2020, 20:10
Ben Constanduros caught up with Kris for a chat during Dakar 2020 in Saudi Arabia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve38dN7C3xU

Nice, honest interview. Great to see him happy and not at all bitter.

doubled1978
11th January 2020, 21:49
Nice, honest interview. Great to see him happy and not at all bitter.

I agree, really nice to see that he is enthusiastic to try Dakar, and actually it would be great all round if he could stay part of Toyota to do it...

dck1989
15th January 2020, 13:04
seen Ben Constanduros intervies and kris had nothing bad to say possibly because hes come to terms with not getting a full time drive and at 40 hes happt to help test the yaris with the hope of getting a round or two.

T16
15th January 2020, 18:02

Just watched this now. Great interview, looks like he's in a really good place. Very happy for him.

lankey555
15th January 2020, 18:08
Looks like we may see him in a WRC car this year with report on WRC today 😁

AnttiL
18th August 2020, 18:56
Testing with Skoda Motorsport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv7ZYzn6dbI&feature=youtu.be

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1732506520245816&type=3&sfnsn=mo&extid=WFd36UzVwki1arn3

EstWRC
18th August 2020, 19:25
Well that’s interesting

Good to see him driving again

dimviii
18th August 2020, 21:53
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/meeke-tests-skoda-fabia-in-italy/

lankey555
19th August 2020, 14:28
A little it of Toyota Promo work as well

https://youtu.be/ne-r2cgR2dk

GigiGalliNo1
20th August 2020, 04:09
A little it of Toyota Promo work as well

https://youtu.be/ne-r2cgR2dk

The Thumbs Up must have come from the Top of the Japanese management :D

AnttiL
18th November 2020, 18:24
Meeke announced he's doing Dakar 2021 with PH Sport

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHvjj61n7vx/?igshid=1mdcuuimlqoo0

MartijnS
18th November 2020, 19:19
Experienced Dutch co-driver next to him.

EstWRC
16th December 2020, 14:33
https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/motorsport/55290610?__twitter_impression=true

Tom K
19th January 2021, 12:33
Kris Meeke and Sebastian Marshall will start in Qatar International Rally - 1st round of MERC 2021 - with Fabia R5.

More about rally: https://www.qmmf.com/events/qatar-international-rally-2021/

HKSjbg
19th January 2021, 12:40
Interesting. I wonder if he will eventually be driving a Toyota again, if and when they bring out their Rally2 machine

pantealex
19th January 2021, 13:56
Interesting. I wonder if he will eventually be driving a Toyota again, if and when they bring out their Rally2 machine

Why would TGR choose him over Lappi/Mikkelsen/Paddon/Østberg ?

denkimi
19th January 2021, 14:01
Why would TGR choose him over Lappi/Mikkelsen/Paddon/Østberg ?
Because he is faster than all those.

Just completely unreliable when it comes to bringing it home.

Co-driven
19th January 2021, 14:52
I think that the only Toyota he would drive in the future is the Hilux, from Overdrive...

masa90
19th January 2021, 15:15
Because he is faster than all those.

Just completely unreliable when it comes to bringing it home.

You ever wonder that those things might go hand in hand? He is so friggin fast because he takes so many risks compared to others -> crashes so much.

Anyways, all the best for Kris, enjoyed following him on his maincareer and will continue to do so now aswell.

Andre Oliveira
20th April 2023, 18:25
Rumours in Portugal about Meeke do national championship in Breen’s place.

satnav
20th April 2023, 18:50
Rumours in Portugal about Meeke do national championship in Breen’s place.

I'd be very surprised if that happens

mknight
20th April 2023, 19:22
I'd expect Suninen.

er88
20th April 2023, 20:45
Rumours in Portugal about Meeke do national championship in Breen’s place.Can't understand why he would do that, unless it's to honour Craig and the Breen family/team want him in the car?

Norm75
21st April 2023, 07:09
Is he even fit enough? He pulled out of nitro rallycross not that long ago due to back injury sustained in skiing accident.

lankey555
23rd April 2023, 21:55
He seems to be back out doing stuff again would love to see him back in a rally car

Andre Oliveira
24th April 2023, 07:51
Official

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fudv_2BWcAIZwdw?format=jpg&name=large

Jarek Z
24th April 2023, 08:55
Great news! Kris is back. He doesn't deserve to be retired. Good luck!
https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/amp/Yvlj17Z0/s1000/wrc-rally-france-2016-kris-mee.webp

First rally? Rali Terras d'Aboboreira already this weekend!
https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/80489-rali-terras-daboboreira-2023/

lankey555
24th April 2023, 13:14
I wonder who will codrive?

Andre Oliveira
24th April 2023, 14:01
Ola Fløene in this weekend.

Managarium
24th April 2023, 14:21
So after Citroen and Toyota, he is going now to crash Hyundai.

TypeR
24th April 2023, 14:40
So after Citroen and Toyota, he is going now to crash Hyundai.
Useful comment :)

Paul Hudson
24th April 2023, 14:51
After a couple of years doing the development on the Rally2 Skoda, Hyundai now have all that knowledge and information with Kris to help them develop the Hyundai.

ouvreur
24th April 2023, 15:14
After a couple of years doing the development on the Rally2 Skoda, Hyundai now have all that knowledge and information with Kris to help them develop the Hyundai.

Not sure what, if any, involvement HMSG will have with the deal... it was a purely Hyundai Portugal thing, if I understood it correctly. The opportunity is certainly there, though, if Alzenau are savvy enough to send an engineer or two to gather KM's feedback. He's clearly done (or helped to do) a reasonable job with the Fabia RS.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th April 2023, 15:25
It will be great to see him on WRC Rally Portugal in a Rally2 car and see how the current WRC2 drivers compare to him.

satnav
24th April 2023, 17:22
I'd be very surprised if that happens

Your source was correct Andre, and I am surprised, pleasantly surprised. Sad how its came about but I hope it all goes well.

er88
24th April 2023, 18:46
I didn't expect it either, but it's a nice way to honour his mate Craig. In such difficult circumstances it's also nice for the Portuguese fans to see Kris back rallying, and it will help the Hyundai Portugal team keep going after such a tough time. I know they were real close to Craig.

Norm75
24th April 2023, 19:50
Looks like Kris will be running #77 and not Craig’s number.

It will be interesting to see what happens with 3rd wrc car. Kris was in the frame along with Mikkelsen and perhaps Sunninen before this season started. Guess it might be difficult for Mikkelsen given the fact he told Škoda he was signing with Hyundai this year but it didn’t happen, so they took him back.
Sunninen would be easier as he is already Hyundai driver but it wouldn’t surprise me if something else happens with Kris after this latest development.

er88
25th April 2023, 10:08
I reckon Sordo will maybe do one or 2 more events than planned. I would guess he will do the next 3, and definitely Chile. You're needing drivers for Estonia and Finland for sure, plus maybe Greece and one of the tarmac events (probably CER).

I would say Suninen or Meeke for the two fast gravel events, I can't remember Mikkelsen ever having much joy in Finland. I wonder if we might see Loeb in the car for Greece? He certainly won't do Estonia or Finland.

mknight
25th April 2023, 17:32
Meeke has never done Estonia. Suninen never got good result in WRC but 2nd in WRC2 last year. Mikkelsen won it twice in wrc2 and was 2nd in WRC on the candidate event.

Last time Meeke did Finland he crashed out twice in Toyota and did bad in C3 (Østberg and Lappi got podiums in C3). Suninen won WRC2 last two times, no good results in WRC. Mikkelsen was 4th last time in WRC, best Hyundai result up to date, ahead of Breen and Neuville.

So for both rallies Meeke is imo the worst candidate out of these 3.

Mikkelsen is best candidate for Estonia, Suninen for Finland.

Norm75
25th April 2023, 18:11
Are you forgetting Meeke has won in Finland?

mknight
25th April 2023, 18:24
Didn't see the need to list it since I believe anyone remotely following WRC remembers. Mediocre to bad results are less remembered.

When he won in 2016 the rules were 2 days of cleaning for Ogier and co. So it is a bit hard to compare to more normal starting order rules.

er88
25th April 2023, 18:38
Yes Mikkelsens two 4th places in Finland make Meeke a worse option for that event (1st, 3rd, fighting Tanak for the win in 19) :D

AndyRAC
25th April 2023, 19:47
Meeke has never done Estonia. Suninen never got good result in WRC but 2nd in WRC2 last year. Mikkelsen won it twice in wrc2 and was 2nd in WRC on the candidate event.

Last time Meeke did Finland he crashed out twice in Toyota and did bad in C3 (Østberg and Lappi got podiums in C3). Suninen won WRC2 last two times, no good results in WRC. Mikkelsen was 4th last time in WRC, best Hyundai result up to date, ahead of Breen and Neuville.

So for both rallies Meeke is imo the worst candidate out of these 3.

Mikkelsen is best candidate for Estonia, Suninen for Finland.

You're like a broken record in regards to Meeke; did he run over your cat? FFS

Jarek Z
25th April 2023, 19:48
First day in the new office!
https://twitter.com/eWRCresults/status/1650804627305111556

Danny0405
25th April 2023, 21:58
Considering the shock, I’m not sure replacing Breen is really a priority.

Most logical for me would be to ask Sordo to make the reminder of the season except Estonia and Finland (with no replacement) with some sort of gentlemen’s agreement with Toyota not entering a 3rd manufacturer car in these rallies (probably Katsuta). Would be the most classy way to manage it in my opinion.

If they really decide to find someone for these rallies, well, I would say Paddon who, in spite of being sacked and a very short stint with M-Sport, was always loyal to the brand, was there in these rallies last year and will do some fast gravel events thanks to ERC. But I’m not sure it’s really a gift or a curse for him. At least, it wouldn’t be totally performance-oriented choice.

Rallyper
26th April 2023, 08:02
Didn't see the need to list it since I believe anyone remotely following WRC remembers. Mediocre to bad results are less remembered.

When he won in 2016 the rules were 2 days of cleaning for Ogier and co. So it is a bit hard to compare to more normal starting order rules.

He won in 2016 and was 3rd in 2014...

ouvreur
26th April 2023, 09:50
Considering the shock, I’m not sure replacing Breen is really a priority.

Most logical for me would be to ask Sordo to make the reminder of the season except Estonia and Finland (with no replacement) with some sort of gentlemen’s agreement with Toyota not entering a 3rd manufacturer car in these rallies (probably Katsuta). Would be the most classy way to manage it in my opinion.

If they really decide to find someone for these rallies, well, I would say Paddon who, in spite of being sacked and a very short stint with M-Sport, was always loyal to the brand, was there in these rallies last year and will do some fast gravel events thanks to ERC. But I’m not sure it’s really a gift or a curse for him. At least, it wouldn’t be totally performance-oriented choice.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but HMSG are the multi-million dollar motorsport arm of a multi-billion dollar corporation, whose main aim is beating Toyota to the manufacturers' championship.

There won't be a gentleman's agreement. There will be someone brought in to do the rallies that Sordo doesn't want to do / isn't so good at. There's no logic in asking for more from a driver like Sordo, who's not so motivated to do rallies he doesn't enjoy, when arguably his powers are waning even on ones he likes.

Paddon, Mikkelsen, Meeke, all the same names that were apparently in the frame at the end of 2022 will be in the frame again. I'd like to see someone like Lindholm or Rossel given a go on rallies that suit them (Finland / Estonia and Central Europe / Japan respectively) but it's not so likely I guess.

becher
26th April 2023, 14:18
I don't mean to sound harsh, but HMSG are the multi-million dollar motorsport arm of a multi-billion dollar corporation, whose main aim is beating Toyota to the manufacturers' championship.

There won't be a gentleman's agreement. There will be someone brought in to do the rallies that Sordo doesn't want to do / isn't so good at. There's no logic in asking for more from a driver like Sordo, who's not so motivated to do rallies he doesn't enjoy, when arguably his powers are waning even on ones he likes.

Paddon, Mikkelsen, Meeke, all the same names that were apparently in the frame at the end of 2022 will be in the frame again. I'd like to see someone like Lindholm or Rossel given a go on rallies that suit them (Finland / Estonia and Central Europe / Japan respectively) but it's not so likely I guess.

Exactly, it is completely normal to replace a driver in such an unfortunate incidence. Artificial out cry about this like it happened with Lauda in the 1976 F1 season is rather disgusting.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th April 2023, 12:21
Meeke's i20 with Breen tribute...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuuFyiuXgAAQ2pq?format=jpg&name=large

brian013
27th April 2023, 12:31
Sad to see a tribute had to happen to pull some cool designs.

Norm75
28th April 2023, 07:28
Two runs of shakedown stage, Kris just under 4 seconds faster than anyone else (first run quicker than the next best time)

Jarek Z
28th April 2023, 07:53
Two runs of shakedown stage, Kris just under 4 seconds faster than anyone else (first run quicker than the next best time)

Not a surprise. I think that if nothing unexpected happens, he shouldn't have problems with winning this rally.

Jarek Z
28th April 2023, 13:12
Sad to see a tribute had to happen to pull some cool designs.

This car looks good indeed:
https://ralli.ee/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/meeke2.jpg
https://ralli.ee/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/meeke3.jpg
https://ralli.ee/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/meeke4.jpg
https://images.autosport.pt/2023/04/kris-meeke.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
28th April 2023, 15:13
SS1 Meeke says he was nervous on his first European rally in 3 years and under
the circumstances but is determined to enjoy himself.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th April 2023, 15:17
Some live here...
https://www.facebook.com/raliterrasdaboboreira

Norm75
28th April 2023, 15:31
Nice to see the 0 car in livery tribute to Craig

Fast Eddie WRC
29th April 2023, 11:26
Meeke leads after winning all but one stage so far...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fu4ATRYWwAA5aTR?format=jpg&name=medium

PLuto
29th April 2023, 14:32
Meeke leads after winning all but one stage so far...

But differences between drivers are quite small - https://clasif.anube.es/ss?rallyId=76

Norm75
29th April 2023, 17:44
Looks like he brought it home quickest on all but one stage to take the win

Fast Eddie WRC
29th April 2023, 17:56
Looks like he brought it home quickest on all but one stage to take the win

Indeed he did. A very good win on his comeback and especially in honour of the late Craig Breen.

Andre Oliveira
29th April 2023, 18:55
He open the road all saturday. Half spin in one stage too.

lankey555
29th April 2023, 21:52
Looks like he had a really nice controlled rally which is great to see and in the memory of Craig
Great job Kris

Andre Oliveira
3rd May 2023, 18:17
James Fulton will be his codriver for the rest of portuguese season.

er88
3rd May 2023, 18:40
James Fulton will be his codriver for the rest of portuguese season.That's brilliant. Glad James can get back in the car

J4MIE
3rd May 2023, 19:07
That's brilliant. Glad James can get back in the car

Usually better to get back on the horse.

lankey555
3rd May 2023, 21:06
He will need someone for WRC Finland in the Rally 1 car 😁

raffrantic
4th May 2023, 11:53
Meeke is not easiest driver in the world to codriving

er88
4th May 2023, 14:34
I've always felt his notes are too detailed at times. Sometimes hard to follow the notes on some of his onboards, it's information overload. Good luck to Kris & James though, Meeke isn't going to massively alter his notes at this stage of his career.

Danny0405
7th May 2023, 11:29

You’re probably right... however, I doubt Hyundai can hire a driver that makes a significant difference at this stage of the season (and on the other hand, Katsuta is quite in dire situation this season) so this type of deal would have make sense for Hyundai and Toyota.
And a young driver doesn’t really make a lot of sense: Lindholm beginning of season is so-so and only other one really deserving (Rossel) has almost never driven in fast gravel.
And they will need to give this driver a real training if they want this to make sense (probably giving him a Finnish or Estonian National Rally + Safari in the car to get used to it).

We could assume Hyundai is probably waiting for Portugal to make the decision (where a lot of contenders for the spot will be).
Sporting-wise, most logical would be Suninen IMO: makes both Estonia and Finland last two years, wins Finland back-to-back in RC2 last two years (excluding administrative issues), 3.2s behind Mikkelsen before issue in last stage in Estonia last year and the most recent to have been ejected from top-class in the Mikkelsen-Ostberg-Paddon-Meeke group. He also knows Chile and Japan and has made some testing with the Rally1 car. Younger also.
Would need to give the RC2 car to another driver in Estonia and Finland: Paddon sounds the best choice for it with some fast gravel rallies in ERC to prepare this time.
Except if Hyundai pulls out a rabbit of the hat (such as Loeb for Safari and Chile and a guy only for Estonia-Finland but highly doubt it would be efficient).

lankey555
14th May 2023, 08:01
Why did Kris not restart rally on Saturday?

Fast Eddie WRC
14th May 2023, 09:36
Why did Kris not restart rally on Saturday?

No real point as the Portuguese Championship only does day one, plus no chance of a good WRC2 result