PDA

View Full Version : Something positive

Wilf
7th March 2009, 05:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orN97ds0UjY

F1boat
7th March 2009, 06:02
It is a great clip. Thank you for sharing it here...

Rex Monaco
7th March 2009, 15:48
"In that sound is the history of the place, every driver who ever competed, every car that ever ran, every person who ever thrilled to the challenge of man and machine against the gods of speed. This is no mere race track, this is a temple, this is the most hallowed ground in motorsports, this is Indy."

If these words were ever true, then the person who ruined these traditions is an apostate and should be burned at the stake for heresy.

Or these words were never true and this clip is false prophecy. At which point, the person spreading these false prophecies should be removed from the temple immediately.

When there is a Honda eater, then the spirit of Indy will have peace. Until then, the spirit if Indy is mourning for it's past glory.

Bob Riebe
7th March 2009, 18:39
"In that sound is the history of the place, every driver who ever competed, every car that ever ran, every person who ever thrilled to the challenge of man and machine against the gods of speed. This is no mere race track, this is a temple, this is the most hallowed ground in motorsports, this is Indy."

If these words were ever true, then the person who ruined these traditions is an apostate and should be burned at the stake for heresy.

Or these words were never true and this clip is false prophecy. At which point, the person spreading these false prophecies should be removed from the temple immediately.

When there is a Honda eater, then the spirit of Indy will have peace. Until then, the spirit if Indy is mourning for it's past glory.

Right now, racing period, is mourning for its past glory.

markabilly
7th March 2009, 18:40

It were never true, but the IRL was and remains a joke and the real Indy died when the split occurred between the champ cars and tony g.

Some just plain don't get it---all the Danicas, engaging in cat fights with other drivers or not, stripped down to butt naked on SI or not, ain't going to save a fourth rate racing series (unless of course that is her new racing uniform.

Wilf
7th March 2009, 19:29
It were never true, but the IRL was and remains a joke and the real Indy died when the split occurred between the champ cars and tony g.

Some just plain don't get it---all the Danicas, engaging in cat fights with other drivers or not, stripped down to butt naked on SI or not, ain't going to save a fourth rate racing series (unless of course that is her new racing uniform.
I realize that sometimes it is hard for some to see anything about the Indy 500 without thinking of Danica, but what percentage of this video was devoted to her legend?

F1boat
7th March 2009, 20:07
Champ Car fans obviously will continue to spit venom even years after their series demise. So pathetic.

garyshell
7th March 2009, 20:29

Ok then Einstein, what WILL? You got all the slings and arrows, how about a solution fir a change?

Gary

garyshell
7th March 2009, 20:31

What is this about the four hundredth time we have heard this tired diatribe? Got any solutions up your sleve or are you just content to complain?

Gary

markabilly
7th March 2009, 21:24
Solutions?
First you got to ID the problems:

Well first and foremost, champ cars without Indy was never ever the answer and never should have happenned, except TG who inherited only the property, but no brains, made champ cars an unfortunate and inevitable mistake.

Champ cars was always terminal from the start. It just took a long time to die, thanks to the tremendous and massive efforts of newman and penske and andretti to keep it alive as long as possible. So it may well have been the better series, but it had No Indy.

So the other series (IRL) had no style and class, little real driving talent, and had engines that sounded like over reved stock cars in heat, no shrill scream of the pure racer, but it had Indy, which is all that kept it alive to outlast Champ cars....and a DP to bring in advertizer dollars from being a female who had good camel toes in the SI layout with almost average driving ability......

Now the latter was good PR to some folks who otherwise would have been watching Nastycar and to those liberal fem types who like to see women doing something other than popping out babies and appearing close to butt naked in swimsuits.......and then DP goes and does....oh well.....

Solutions:
Some moderator might start excoriating at me again with supercilious animadversions of a meretricious nature at best, if I dare to suggest the next step in racking in those viewers would involve a go kart....but perhaps a reality tv show, like Danica does Indy and dates the bachelor, might help, if
I were to be so redolent.

But dead cat bounces, like the latest stimulus, do little but prolong the end as it begins darkening the stage

Or for those more into analogies, there was a nurse who saw the paramedics wheel in someone into the ER. The doc took one glance from a distance and said, "mark them down as DOA".
The nurse was shocked and protested, "Doc, are you not going to examine the patient and be sure....."

To which the good doc, said, "you are right, I will as soon as you can find me his head.....

Well some things are survivable and some things are not, and telling folks they be dead is free, raising them from the dead will cost you more than you can afford and Tony G is too dumb and greedy to be able to pay the price.

Rex Monaco
7th March 2009, 23:24
What is this about the four hundredth time we have heard this tired diatribe? Got any solutions up your sleve or are you just content to complain?

Gary

Instead of playing this game with you for the 1 millionth time, for once why don't you try showing me where my opinion is wrong.

Or if you aren't able to do that, you could try searching the forum for the threads where I have already given solutions on several occasions. Which evidently you ignored, so doing it again seems like a huge waste of time to me.

But at the very least, stop playing internet cop. Nobody here is required to answer to you. So stop acting like we are.

Rex Monaco
7th March 2009, 23:33
Ok then Einstein, what WILL?

And I'm pretty sure this was a personal insult. And the internet authorities don't take kindly to personal insults around these parts! :p

DanicaFan
7th March 2009, 23:45
I liked the video and Danica is the Indy 500 now. ;)

Blancvino
8th March 2009, 12:30
Ok then Einstein, what WILL? You got all the slings and arrows, how about a solution fir a change?

Gary

Honestly, I don't think there is a solution. I think the sport of auto racing (as a whole) is about to go Super Nova and then burn out.

I am sure there will be some niche stuff around but I am of the belief there are no more glory days coming.

Eventually, the Roman Empire crushed under its own weight.

Wilf
9th March 2009, 03:26
Honestly, I don't think there is a solution. I think the sport of auto racing (as a whole) is about to go Super Nova and then burn out.

I am sure there will be some niche stuff around but I am of the belief there are no more glory days coming.

Eventually, the Roman Empire crushed under its own weight.

I've been around other sports including one which said it had 10 million weekly participants and it wasn't any where near an empire before it collapsed. Racing is by far and away much smaller, and certainly doesn't have enough mater to go super nova.

The current financial problems will provide an opportunity for necessary corrections. The debt loads of the major NASCAR players (track owners) might force some changes and facilitate others. It will be interesting to see if others have the same type of layoffs that IMS is rumored to have had recently. TG's air force was also said to have been significantly downsized.

Mark in Oshawa
9th March 2009, 17:36
I think some of you forgot we should be making comment on the clip and the message it is sending.

IT is in a nutshell what is right about the IRL, and what is wrong, all in the same breath.

First off, it spends almost 3 minutes talking of the great history, and all the clips you see are off the pre split days, and then in the last year. No clips of Buddy Lazier winning and drinking milk? How about those great early days of the Dallara's and the lack of the bumping? OH right...a positive video.

Ok...it also mentions the ghosts of those who lost their lives at the IMS. Sorry, you want to promote your series, don't show me pictures of Eddie Sachs and Scott Brayton. I am very much into the history of the 500 and the Speedway but don't remind me that Indy kills people. That is a business turnoff for those not really into racing is it not?

Also, the general feel of the clip was a lot like the feel I got from the lame video TG put out about Indy where he is driving around in his Jag and they show all these great shots. It looked......boring, lacking a sensabilty that will bring in modern fans. You watch anything put out by the good folks at NASCAR you never are allowed to sit and dwell on the past, they want to sell you the sizzle of the present and you are never shown much of anything that will not assault your senses and desires. They in short, make you want to go see a race...NOW...IMMEDIATELY. Instead, this clip spent a great amount of time and effort to portray the place as old. Yes, I get that it is a centennial clip and that is part of the point, but I think the youthful fan that is required for this sport to do more than just survive is going to tune this clip out before it even gets going.

WHen you promote that Jim Nabors is going to make you a Hoosier, that will send a ton of people running quickly for something else. When you promote that people die there....that is bad too.

Where is the music that makes your mind lock in? Where was the imagery of speed that is set to rock and roll? Where is the sense of excitement and feeling that there is a wow factor?

This video is not all bad to me since I love the history of the IMS and love the great battles of the past, but the modern day IRL has almost NOTHING in common with Indy Car racing in the past and it makes today's product look lacking when you have a spec series. The drivers of today are not the characters of yesterday (although some are trying hard!) and the cars of today have none of the romance of the past. We wont get a lot of that back, but if this series and the Indy 500 are to stay relevent, there has to be some sizzle, some rock and roll and something that draws in the younger fans. This video reminds me of video that would be put out by some of the fogies that used to run Major League Baseball's marketing department.