PDA

View Full Version : Fan Sponsored Indy Car for 91st I500

NightRider
11th February 2007, 01:31
Check this out...

There is an official effort underway to attempt to sponsor a car for the I500 this season with a Fan sponsored entry. A web site has been put together that is collecting interest levels via pledges ($50 minimum), and if the numbers get high enough, they will call in the markers via PayPal. They have a team to work with, but can't divulge the name just yet. Some folks from DownForce got together to give it a go.

They are just starting their marketing/publicity campaign. If everyone jumps in, it could work. If it took off, the publicity in May would be enormous.

I'm in....

http://www.indycarfancar.org

Hoss Ghoul
11th February 2007, 06:49
Sounds like that supposed 2 car effort from last year...Yellow Ribbon Racing, I think.... The one that was to support the armed forces with donations, etc...needless to say it never happened.

Expect the same fate here.

The only idea like this I can remember coming to fruition was one where people bought "bricks" with their names on it(painted on the car) to sponsor Brett Bodines Cup effort at Indy a few years back.

http://www.jayski.com/teams/11bbr.htm

BobGarage
12th February 2007, 09:58
not a new idea. been done before for Le mans, for scsa (stock cars in the Uk), horse racing and numerous other things.

The only schema where this has truely worked in Justin Wilson selling shares in himself to get into F1.

All other schema like this usually fail miserably.

Civic
12th February 2007, 10:36
I think an Indy Lights driver tried to do something similar in 1997 or 1998 by selling "signature spaces" on his car. Fans paid differing amounts to sign their name on the car. I think it might have been Larry Mason.

millencolin
12th February 2007, 15:29
you have got to be kidding me? Does the Irl have that many fans?

im kidding im kidding im kidding... im not trolling, i just saw that and couldnt help myself

OWFan19
12th February 2007, 16:53
Does anyone have a link for more info on this?