PDA

View Full Version : Brawn GP

AndySpeed
6th March 2009, 01:35
The former Honda Formula One team has been saved and will contest the 2009 season as Brawn GP.

The Honda Motor Company Limited and ex-Honda boss Ross Brawn, 54, have reached agreement to preserve the team.

It seems that Ross Brawn has achieved a 100% buyout of the team.

I'm not sure about the name though, 'Brawn GP' could take some getting used to. Great news that we have a confirmed tenth team and seat for Jenson Button.

N. Jones
6th March 2009, 02:25
Isn't that interesting? It is believed that Brawn and Nick Fry bought the team but it is named Brawn GP. Is it true that Ross Brawn owns the team 100% or are people within the former Honda team making sure that Nick Fry does not have much power in the new team?

Easy Drifter
6th March 2009, 02:47
From the TSN report it seems it is all Brawn and no Fry(ed). At least I hope so.
Mercedes engines and ready to run next week.
That sounds like they have had said engines in the factory for some time and the car modified to accept them.
To me this seems like the deal was really done some time ago but final details and signing just completed.
Ah backroom F1. Don't you just love it!
Oh and it is Button and Reubens.

Valve Bounce
6th March 2009, 03:56
Isn't that interesting? It is believed that Brawn and Nick Fry bought the team but it is named Brawn GP. Is it true that Ross Brawn owns the team 100% or are people within the former Honda team making sure that Nick Fry does not have much power in the new team?

Reports at the time suggested that the team was being sold for one pound.
Maybe the buyer had to undertake to spend enough money to run the team for the year.

Anyway, Brawn & Bunsen sounds reasonably good; better than Crown and Anchor, or Bull and Bear.

gloomyDAY
6th March 2009, 03:58
Brawn GP? Fry must be pouting in the ladies bathroom.

I wish them the best of luck!

Firstgear
6th March 2009, 04:08
This news made me think of the old Braun shaving commercial "I liked it so much that I bought the company"

So I took a quick look on youtube and came across this:

A Braun/Honda add from the 1991 British GP :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sg7LHtjUlo

CNR
6th March 2009, 05:27
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=ajkWVVv4Cfoo&refer=japan

i would say that there may be at least one secret partner.

ykiki
6th March 2009, 06:56
This news made me think of the old Braun shaving commercial "I liked it so much that I bought the company"

That was Remington. Owner Victor Kiam bought the company after his wife purchased one of their electric razors for him. He sold controlling interest in the company in 1997.

Giuseppe F1
6th March 2009, 07:03
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73577

Brawn GP takes over Honda Racing

By Jonathan Noble
Thursday, March 5th 2009, 23:59 GMT

Ross BrawnRoss Brawn has taken control of the former Honda Racing outfit in a move that secures the survival of the tenth team in Formula One.

After months of speculation about the future of the Brackley-based outfit, following Honda's decision to quit grand prix racing last December, a 100 per cent buyout by Brawn has resulted in the team being renamed 'Brawn GP'.

A statement issued at midnight on Thursday said that Brawn had reached agreement with the Honda Motor Company to take ownership of the team. It was also confirmed that the outfit will be powered by Mercedes-Benz engines.

As autosport.com revealed earlier this week, Jenson Button will be partnered by Rubens Barrichello, who is set to extend his record as the most experienced driver in Formula One history.

Speaking about the new deal, Brawn said: "The past few months have been extremely challenging for the team but today's announcement is the very pleasing conclusion to the strenuous efforts that have been made to secure its future.

"Firstly, it is a great shame that having worked with Honda Motor Company for so long we can no longer continue together. I would like to thank Honda for the fantastic co-operation and support we have received throughout this process - particularly those members of the senior management who were closely involved with concluding our agreement - and for the faith they have demonstrated in myself and our team.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to pay due credit to our staff at Brackley. The levels of motivation and commitment that I have witnessed at the factory deserve the highest praise."

Brawn added: "It would be impossible to mention all of the people without whom today's announcement may not have been possible, however I would like to express particular appreciation for the support we have received from Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, the FIA (Fédération Internationale de L'Automobile), FOM (Formula One Management), FOTA (Formula One Teams Association), BERR (the UK's Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform), Bridgestone, our other team partners and our many fans the world over.

"The journey ahead will be challenging but exciting and we know we can count on their continued enthusiasm for our team and its ambitions."

Brawn said that the huge experience that Button and Barrichello have between them, having started 423 races in total, would be invaluable to the outfit as it bids to make up for lost time over this winter.

"I am delighted that Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello will form our race driver line-up for the 2009 season," he said.

"The vast experience and knowledge that both drivers bring to our team will prove invaluable as we aim to get up to speed in the shortest possible time to be ready for the first race of the season in Melbourne on 29 March. In what will be their fourth season together, their experience with our team in Brackley, our systems and our engineers, will prove a real asset."

Honda made it clear it was delighted to have finally put together a deal to safeguard the future of the team.

Hiroshi Oshima, Managing Officer of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. responsible for Corporate Communications and Motor Sports, commented: "Since announcing our withdrawal from Formula One racing on December 5 of last year, we have conducted various studies and discussions so that the team can continue its activities as a new team.

"We are very pleased that we could sell the team to Ross Brawn, with whom we have been partaking in the challenges of F1 competition, and are grateful for his decision. We offer our sincerest wishes for the new team which will be led by Ross."

Brawn GP, whose official colours appear to be yellow, black and white, are scheduled to shake down the new BGP 001 at Silverstone tomorrow in a behind-closed-doors test session, prior to a full blown run out at Barcelona next week and Jerez on March 15-17.

Giuseppe F1
6th March 2009, 07:03
Car livery expected to be a yellow, black and white colour-scheme

leopard
6th March 2009, 08:01
I have been thinking of Ross is something related to pink or red.

ArrowsFA1
6th March 2009, 08:04
http://www.brawngp.com/

Mark
6th March 2009, 08:29
So will they be running Honda engines?

Daniel
6th March 2009, 08:42
So will they be running Honda engines?
Article says Merc engines?

Tazio
6th March 2009, 08:44
So will they be running Honda engines? :confused:

A statement issued at midnight on Thursday said that Brawn had reached agreement with the Honda Motor Company to take ownership of the team. It was also confirmed that the outfit will be powered by Mercedes-Benz engines.

I am evil Homer
6th March 2009, 08:58
Button has apparently taken a 50% pay cut to help the team's finances according to the BBC. If so :up:

Makes a pleasant change for everyone to come together and help out for the good of the sport.

AndyRAC
6th March 2009, 09:09
Good news I'd say, could have been worse, i;e Fry GP.......
Brawn-Mercedes,...good on Ross and all involved, we wish them all well!!

leopard
6th March 2009, 09:15
They were supposed to use Honda, but considering Honda is now without preparation at all they are likely to intensify their talk about using Mercedes engine.

DexDexter
6th March 2009, 09:28
They were supposed to use Honda, but considering Honda is now without preparation at all they are likely to intensify their talk about using Mercedes engine.

Intensify talk about using Merc engines? Wake up.

Dr. Krogshöj
6th March 2009, 09:31
There is nothing to intensify. The press release is as clear as it gets.

"Brawn GP has agreed a partnership with Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, Brixworth, UK to supply the team with its 2.4 litre Mercedes-Benz FO108W Formula One engines."

leopard
6th March 2009, 09:35
Intensify talk about using Merc engines? Wake up.

They just announced the former Honda team buy-out, my assumption was the Honda car and all properties inclusive, any other option which engine will be in use for the season may be decided thereafter. If they have signed agreement on the use of Mercedes engine, they work speedily. :)

Sonic
6th March 2009, 10:04
They just announced the former Honda team buy-out, my assumption was the Honda car and all properties inclusive, any other option which engine will be in use for the season may be decided thereafter. If they have signed agreement on the use of Mercedes engine, they work speedily. :)

Speedily?? The merc deal has been in the works for weeks.

ArrowsFA1
6th March 2009, 12:03
Jenson Button has given Brawn GP's new car, the BGP 001, its first shakedown at Silverstone today.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73586

Ranger
6th March 2009, 12:09
The question is where the money to fund the team is coming from.

Good luck to them.

LiamM
6th March 2009, 12:42
They've had the time to get engines off Mercedes but no time to talk to Bridgestone? They are using grooves in that picture

ioan
6th March 2009, 13:03
Button has apparently taken a 50% pay cut to help the team's finances according to the BBC. If so :up:

90% would have been more realistic and better for the team.

Knock-on
6th March 2009, 13:07
They've had the time to get engines off Mercedes but no time to talk to Bridgestone? They are using grooves in that picture

Probably using up old stock for a shake down test. At least they will have comparison data against last years performance.

V12
6th March 2009, 14:11
I admit the name will get some getting used to but it's actually quite refreshing to have a team named after it's founder/owner/figurehead rather than the Consignia-style names like "Force India" we've had of late. Most famous names in the sport are named like this: Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Cooper, Brabham, Tyrrell....even the likes of Minardi and Jordan. With Lotus being the exception that proves the rule.

wedge
6th March 2009, 14:29
Interesting car.

Apart from the wide nose I'd say the car resembles RBR. Can't help thinking the rear could do with a pullrod set up.

555-04Q2
6th March 2009, 14:36
Good for Ross, he's a stand up guy. I wish him all the best of luck, he's gonna need it to succeed.

ioan
6th March 2009, 14:45
Interesting car.

Apart from the wide nose I'd say the car resembles RBR. Can't help thinking the rear could do with a pullrod set up.

The nose resembles McLaren's.

V12
6th March 2009, 14:57
On another note, how is the season going to be funded? Are Honda doing it on the quiet (on the basis that funding them for a year will be cheaper than shutting the whole thing down and having to pay everybody off), requiring serious investment for 2010, or do Brawn have significant sponsorship in the wings?

Because in this era of billionaire tycoons seemingly required, it seems a little too good to be true that the team is going to be spearheaded by a proper motor racing guy in Brawn.

Or is this a case of all the cost-cutting hoopla actually having some substance to it and not being a load of political hot-air by Mosley after all? In which case I hope humble pie tastes good because I'm due a slice. Still don't want standard parts though :p

Robinho
6th March 2009, 15:26
more pictures here

http://www.itv-f1.com/photo.aspx?im_id=52513

they did use some slicks, looks a bit basic from the front, but has a very interesting profile and a lot of work going on at the rear, like Ferrari

PolePosition_1
6th March 2009, 15:39
How come there is no sponsorship on the car? Will that be the actual race livery?

Donney
6th March 2009, 16:14
That car looks great just like that.

keysersoze
6th March 2009, 16:59
Cockpit sides, rear wing, front wing, even the nose=looks like the BMW.

Dzeidzei
6th March 2009, 17:37

Not to mention closer to the real value :)

VkmSpouge
6th March 2009, 18:26
Excellent news that the team is finally saved. I hope Brawn has a good season. I think their car is the prettiest car of the season.

jens
6th March 2009, 18:53
I wonder, why in the logo the "AWN" part is in italics? BRAWNGP?

The main concern for me is continually that they have no sponsors. They have to find them, otherwise they'll run out of cash sooner or later.

The (interim) livery seems quite fine, although it would be better if they had used more of the other colours instead of white.

Cockpit sides, rear wing, front wing, even the nose=looks like the BMW.

No surprise. IIRC their chief aerodynamicist Jörg Zander worked at BMW before. ;)

gloomyDAY
6th March 2009, 19:45
The livery should be black.

It would be a metaphor for all of the turmoil Brawn GP had to go through in order to make it to the grid.

Makes a pleasant change for everyone to come together and help out for the good of the sport.

Not to mention closer to the real value :) :laugh:

Malbec
6th March 2009, 19:49
The main concern for me is continually that they have no sponsors. They have to find them, otherwise they'll run out of cash sooner or later.

The suggestion is that Honda is supplying them with some cash to keep them going through 2009 with 2010 funding to be discussed. Given that its a management buyout I'd also be surprised if Honda haven't got a first-refusal deal with the team and a clause to allow the company to re-buy the team when times are better. After all having that kind of stuff in the contract is free and makes a lot of sense for both sides.

Brawn GP? I wonder how long names like Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Tyrrell etc sounded strange for? The only thing I don't like is the shade of yellow, hope it gets revamped before the first race.

truefan72
6th March 2009, 19:50
good news for F1.

I am sure they will figure out their sponsorship and stuff

Tazio
6th March 2009, 21:02
The development of the Brawn racing team has sure taken the a little air out of the USGPE story. And rightly so. While USGPE fidlely-fart around with vaguely propsed and half-baked schemes. Brawn racing is on now, not possibly in the future. I hope they get up to speed rapidly. I have a very high regaurd for Brawn. And in spending his own money, it tells me he is up tp the task. ( or at least willing to dedicate hiself tom a degree here-to-for not undertaken by him!)
Good on you Ross. You may not have the capitol that you used to turn Ferrari around. But I suspect you are properly motivated!

AJP
6th March 2009, 22:35
good news for F1.

I am sure they will figure out their sponsorship and stuff

This is great news..

Will Branson come onboard with his Virgin Brand as the main Sponsor?

Hotlavaaaa
7th March 2009, 06:11
The development of the Brawn racing team has sure taken the a little air out of the USGPE story. And rightly so. While USGPE fidlely-fart around with vaguely propsed and half-baked schemes. Brawn racing is on now, not possibly in the future. I hope they get up to speed rapidly. I have a very high regaurd for Brawn. And in spending his own money, it tells me he is up tp the task. ( or at least willing to dedicate hiself tom a degree here-to-for not undertaken by him!)
Good on you Ross. You may not have the capitol that you used to turn Ferrari around. But I suspect you are properly motivated!

What? Brawn is taking over an existing team that had a car already designed and built. Your criticisms of USGPE or whatever it's called now seem out of place. There really isn't a comparison to be made between the two situations.

Tazio
7th March 2009, 06:36
What? Brawn is taking over an existing team that had a car already designed and built. Your criticisms of USGPE or whatever it's called now seem out of place. There really isn't a comparison to be made between the two situations.Being an American perhaps I'm a little overcritical of a team that claims to be American but has no solid plan for getting a competitive car on the grid by 2010.IMO they have articulated some rather dodgy requisites for this team. I may well be suffering "skepticism run amuck" So take my comments with a pinch of salt! Brawn had to be working very hard below the radar to get this deal done and already shook-down a car that has been modified to use the Merc Power-plant. I wish USGPE all the success in the world, as I would like nothing better than to see my country well represented in F1. I don't believe P.Windsor, or K. Anderson could, or ever will be able to accomplish what RB. is capable of. I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell. Regarless all the best to Ross, and Brawn Racing! :)
Peace bro. ;)

DexDexter
7th March 2009, 07:53
This is great news..

Will Branson come onboard with his Virgin Brand as the main Sponsor?

No.

WSRfan82
7th March 2009, 07:55
first off Brawn gp is NOT AMERICAN its Britsh/German lol. USGPE or whatever they want to call themselfs just will not happen now.

Brawn has done a fantastic job in getting this team to were they are now. its a proud moment for brawn and the team and i wish them all the best for the future. and with merc power i have every faith they will do well despite the lack of testing.

Tazio
7th March 2009, 08:11
first off Brawn gp is NOT AMERICAN
Who said it was :confused:

Roamy
7th March 2009, 09:06
well I like the looks of the car and I hope it does quite well and it should looking at some of the contenders

blito
7th March 2009, 09:15
the amazing thing about this thread is the number of posts by people who have quite clearly NOT read the content of other peoples posts first!

C`mon guys, this is a forum for people to exchange views and for that to work you need to listen to everyone elses views as well as airing your own!

for what its worth, i think RB has pulled off a great deal for the sport as a whole and chosing Rubens and Jensen to drive with Mercedes power just shows how level-headed RB really is. It has provided the new team with a sensible platform with which to develop their future.
Well done Ross, and good luck to Brawn GP!

shazbot
7th March 2009, 12:23
No source to back this up (except 'contacts') but there might be a former World Champ in the background as well, if you know what I mean. If you're gonna lambast me for no concrete evidence fair enough, but you heard it hear first.

Dave B
7th March 2009, 14:31
Former WDC who has worked closely with Ross in the past, you mean? ;)

markabilly
7th March 2009, 14:42

I say lucky it weren't more

Still high....

Former WDC who has worked closely with Ross in the past, you mean? ;)
Let me see, Braun and mercedes power without the riff raff mac and ronnie baggage......might attrack a certain 7 time driver who has contacts.......but unfortunately, i think his entire life fortune would probably pay for one season at the current rate.....

markabilly
7th March 2009, 14:51
Being an American perhaps I'm a little overcritical of a team that claims to be American but has no solid plan for getting a competitive car on the grid by 2010.IMO they have articulated some rather dodgy requisites for this team. I may well be suffering "skepticism run amuck"

I don't believe P.Windsor, or K. Anderson could, or ever will be able to accomplish what RB. is capable of. I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell. Regarless all the best to Ross, and Brawn Racing! :)
Peace bro. ;)

Drink the good stuff, and the amuck will be gone....

"I don't believe P.Windsor, or K. Anderson could, or ever will be able to accomplish what RB. is capable of. I hope I'm wrong."

lay your hopes aside and waste them not, for truly i say unto you, unlike when thou speakest of maXine, you finally dun showed some sense...

Tazio
7th March 2009, 16:16
Drink the good stuff, and the amuck will be gone....

"I don't believe P.Windsor, or K. Anderson could, or ever will be able to accomplish what RB. is capable of. I hope I'm wrong."

lay your hopes aside and waste them not, for truly i say unto you, unlike when thou speakest of maXine, you finally dun showed some sense...
Thanks M'billy! You can't imagine how much better your homily makes me feel! ;)

Tazio
7th March 2009, 20:20
" Brawn makes the key revelation that he had the choice of Ferrari or Mercedes engines but chose the Mercedes because it was easier to fit into the Honda chassis. This is interesting because it had been widely believed that Ferrari had said no.
Brawn had to be working very hard below the radar to get this deal done and already shook-down a car that has been modified to use the Merc Power-plant.

He also says that they started modifying the chassis just after Christmas.

Finally he reveals that Bruno Senna’s test “went well, but he doesn’t have the experience. It would have been too ambitious a challenge.”

I wonder who they will choose as a third driver. Logic dictates Anthony Davidson as he will be at the races anyway as a summariser for BBC Radio 5 Live, so his expenses are already covered! Unless a race driver gets hurt or falls ill it’s a notional title anyway.
And if someone does get hurt he can interview himself right before he jumps into his ride, and give a running comentary from his cockpit :laugh:
http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/brawn-gives-more-juicy-details/

Valve, the Ant is looking like a good # 3 driver for FGP. having a couple of " Relics" in front of him :p :

CNR
8th March 2009, 02:37
No source to back this up (except 'contacts') but there might be a former World Champ in the background as well, if you know what I mean. If you're gonna lambast me for no concrete evidence fair enough, but you heard it hear first.

No

page 1

AJP
8th March 2009, 03:22
No.

I haven't read anywhere that has said it won't happen.

If you have, can you post a link please?

Valve Bounce
8th March 2009, 04:41

If you have, can you post a link please?

The idea came about because somebody suggested the two names: Brawn and Bunsen when contracted added to Branson, well almost. I can't see a link between Branson and this lot, especially when Branson's Virgin is in financial trouble.

CNR
8th March 2009, 07:26
Remaining Virgin Megastores To Close, VEGNA To Liquidate
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3if1b7ae560fd416a78b16fa7d39f95af4

Virgin Entertainment Group North America has been a question mark since August 2007, when it was acquired by two real estate companies

???

DexDexter
8th March 2009, 07:32

If you have, can you post a link please? So I have to prove that Virgin will not sponsor Brawn Gp, shouldn't that be the other way around? :)

ArrowsFA1
9th March 2009, 12:09
Jenson Button got the newly-formed Brawn GP off to an encouraging start by topping the times for the morning session of the group test that began at Barcelona today.
Button's fastest lap of 1:21.140 was considerably quicker than anyone else managed, with Toyota's Jarno Trulli going closest with a 1:21.85s.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73631

:s mokin:

Tazio
9th March 2009, 12:14
The morning times.
Glory lap for Button! Impressive none-the-less

.1º 16 Jenson Button Brawn GP 00:01'21''140 30
.2º 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 00:01'21''852 00:00'00''712 50
.3º 8 Nelson Piquet Jr Renault 00:01'22''008 00:00'00''868 35
.4º 20 Adrian Sutil Force India 00:01'22''452 00:00'01''312 47
.5º 14 Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso 00:01'22''660 00:00'01''520 50
.6º 10 Mark Webber Red Bull 00:01'22''679 00:00'01''539 49
.7º 9 Kazuki Nakajima Williams 00:01'22''813 00:00'01''673 28
.8º 4 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 00:01'22''869 00:00'01''729 25
.9º 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 00:01'23''605 00:00'02''465 21
.10º 2 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren 00:01'24''289 00:00'03''149 5

ArrowsFA1
9th March 2009, 12:37
Glory lap for Button!
Maybe. Or maybe the combination of the new car (which has been work in progress for many months) and the Mercedes engine is simply quick :)

Tazio
9th March 2009, 12:46
Maybe. Or maybe the combination of the new car (which has been work in progress for many months) and the Mercedes engine is simply quick :)
It's possible
For what it's worth, the fastest q1, or q2 time for the 2008 race was Massa 1:20.584

Knock-on
9th March 2009, 12:58
Very interesting.

It's a glory lap for sure but to be 1 second behind the fastest qualifying lap from last year, with the new regs, is impressive.

Heikki being 3 seconds slower, even if heavy, is very worrying though. :?:

Spoonbender
9th March 2009, 13:14
Good Luck to all involved. I'm with most of the opinions that Honda are probably bank rolling it somewhere, not bothered as long as they race. It may be that they are the back markers for a while, but even a former Minardi car won a race last year, so who knows. Just can't wait for it all to start, am just gutted at Testing ban, no more cheap F1 at Silverstone (ticket was only about £15 for the day last year)

Knock-on
9th March 2009, 13:19
It will be interesting to see how the car goes.

If it's as good as Brawn claims, then everyone will hail him as a hero. If it stinks, then everyone will blame it on Fry :laugh:

Funny thing though is that Ross enters, Fry has free reign without Honda messing with the design and suddenly the car appears a lot better.

Roamy
9th March 2009, 15:11
so far today button is .7 clear

Dave B
9th March 2009, 16:09
If these testing times translate into grid positions, Button would be a very happy bunny.

Alas, I suspect it's more of a feelgood exercise for potential sponsors. Still, at least they'll be on the grid in Melbourne :D

Brown, Jon Brow
9th March 2009, 16:18
Apparently the Mercedes V8 has around 60bhp more than last years Honda unit. Honda's weakness always seemed to be aero, so maybe with the cars less aero-dependent this year they will have more success.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7932677.stm

jens
9th March 2009, 16:48
Like said in winter testing thread - impressive showing, but would wait for more clarification. ;) But it looks like they have done really well in successfully integrating the Mercedes engine into the Brackley-built chassis. As we remember, last year it took STR half a year to become competitive with "another" engine...

truefan72
9th March 2009, 18:30
any news on livery, sponsorship?

Sonic
9th March 2009, 19:39
The morning times.
Glory lap for Button! Impressive none-the-less

.1º 16 Jenson Button Brawn GP 00:01'21''140 30
.2º 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 00:01'21''852 00:00'00''712 50
.3º 8 Nelson Piquet Jr Renault 00:01'22''008 00:00'00''868 35
.4º 20 Adrian Sutil Force India 00:01'22''452 00:00'01''312 47
.5º 14 Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso 00:01'22''660 00:00'01''520 50
.6º 10 Mark Webber Red Bull 00:01'22''679 00:00'01''539 49
.7º 9 Kazuki Nakajima Williams 00:01'22''813 00:00'01''673 28
.8º 4 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 00:01'22''869 00:00'01''729 25
.9º 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 00:01'23''605 00:00'02''465 21
.10º 2 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren 00:01'24''289 00:00'03''149 5

Should equate into a mid-field running car. Very respectable.

GridGirl
9th March 2009, 22:03
Ahhh, thank goodness its now all in the open. I was getting quite bored of all you lot speculating. 'Daddy' should really keep his mouth shut though seeing as he was blabbing to all and sundry well over a month ago that his little boy was saved. At least Jr is now putting in the times to back up all the talk. :dozey:

Bagwan
9th March 2009, 23:32
Ahhh, thank goodness its now all in the open. I was getting quite bored of all you lot speculating. 'Daddy' should really keep his mouth shut though seeing as he was blabbing to all and sundry well over a month ago that his little boy was saved. At least Jr is now putting in the times to back up all the talk. :dozey:

You should talk . Yeah , sure .

You couldn't keep it totally quiet either .

Was he posting on web forums , too ?

Bit rich , GridGirl .

So sorry we all bored you so .

wedge
10th March 2009, 00:17
BTW, it's only testing :rolleyes:

Sorry, someone had to say it :D

jso1985
10th March 2009, 01:48
ah crap you beat me to it :p

Respectable times though, didn't expect them to do that well

wmcot
10th March 2009, 06:54
No

page 1

How ironic would it be if the "secret partner" turned out to be Aguri Suzuki?

ArrowsFA1
10th March 2009, 08:04
any news on livery, sponsorship?

Specialist publications in France, citing a source within the Brackley-based team, believe the Mercedes-powered BGP001 will carry yellow and black 'bwin.com' branding.
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090309110350.shtml

leopard
10th March 2009, 08:54
Mercedes isn't bad choice, people will not identify the team a Mercedes powered team like the way they look into McLaren.
Actually they can retain the former engine of Honda, supposing sufficient R&D involved for the new Honda to enable them grab a random result at the front would be an additional benefit either to Honda and the team.

Just like I said perhaps there wasn't enough time to force using the Honda.

driveace
10th March 2009, 09:46
Well Spoonbender testing viewing at Valencia is 3 euros,so its a bit cheaper here than it is at Silverstone.Although I am not sure how much it is at Barcelona

ArrowsFA1
10th March 2009, 09:52
Q&A with Ross Brawn (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73590)
Q&A with Jenson Button (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73647)
Q&A with Rubens Barrichello (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73645)

ChrisS
10th March 2009, 10:00
Alas, I suspect it's more of a feelgood exercise for potential sponsors.

I'm thinking the same thing

Remember how fast Prost was in the 2001 pre season?

Robinho
10th March 2009, 12:26
.1º 4 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 00:01'20''314 37
.2º 17 Rubens Barrichello Brawn GP 00:01'20''966 00:00'00''652 40
.3º 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 00:01'21''326 00:00'01''012 29
.4º 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 00:01'21''937 00:00'01''623 38
.5º 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 00:01'21''965 00:00'01''651 69
.6º 20 Adrian Sutil Force India 00:01'22''141 00:00'01''827 16
.7º 2 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren 00:01'22''328 00:00'02''014 27
.8º 9 Kazuki Nakajima Williams 00:01'22''381 00:00'02''067 20
.9º 10 Mark Webber Red Bull 00:01'22''517 00:00'02''203 26
.10º 14 Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso 00:01'23''039 00:00'02''725 14

Different day, different driver, but the Brawn cntinues to be up at the right end of things.

it could all be about PR, but maybe, just maybe, Ross and Co. were right to start development of this years car about 9months ago, and have had plenty of resources to call upon up until the last couple of months, maybe they were right all along and they have got a competitive package - could Brawn be about make the establishment look rather silly with a privately run, customer engined team? i'd love to think so, but i fear they'll be lost in the midtable come race day

ArrowsFA1
10th March 2009, 12:30
...could Brawn be about make the establishment look rather silly with a privately run, customer engined team? i'd love to think so...
Me too :s mokin: Just imagine an all-Brawn front row in Melbourne :eek: :p :

Mark
10th March 2009, 12:36
But then we have the problem of running a customer team. There's no way McLaren would allow Brawn to beat them to the championship!

Tazio
10th March 2009, 13:07
This is to be expected, technical problems/reliability will be their paramount concerns!

Barrichello's Tuesday morning began in disappointing fashion as the car came to a halt at the end of the pit lane, resulting in BGP 001 being pushed back to the pits by the Brawn team mechanics

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/03/10/barrichello-suffers-technical-problem/

Tazio
10th March 2009, 13:10
.1º 4 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 00:01'20''314 37
.2º 17 Rubens Barrichello Brawn GP 00:01'20''966 00:00'00''652 40
.3º 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 00:01'21''326 00:00'01''012 29
.4º 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 00:01'21''937 00:00'01''623 38
.5º 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 00:01'21''965 00:00'01''651 69
.6º 20 Adrian Sutil Force India 00:01'22''141 00:00'01''827 16
.7º 2 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren 00:01'22''328 00:00'02''014 27
.8º 9 Kazuki Nakajima Williams 00:01'22''381 00:00'02''067 20
.9º 10 Mark Webber Red Bull 00:01'22''517 00:00'02''203 26
.10º 14 Sebastien Bourdais Toro Rosso 00:01'23''039 00:00'02''725 14

Different day, different driver, but the Brawn cntinues to be up at the right end of things.

it could all be about PR, but maybe, just maybe, Ross and Co. were right to start development of this years car about 9months ago, and have had plenty of resources to call upon up until the last couple of months, maybe they were right all along and they have got a competitive package - could Brawn be about make the establishment look rather silly with a privately run, customer engined team? i'd love to think so, but i fear they'll be lost in the midtable come race day
What came first...the Chicken McNugget or the Egg McMuffin?

BTW The Egg McMuffin is the answer! Not even close :p :

Knock-on
10th March 2009, 13:12
But then we have the problem of running a customer team. There's no way McLaren would allow Brawn to beat them to the championship!

In the old days, you could get away with that but now engines are sealed?

Anyway, I think we may be getting a tiny bit ahead of ourselves :D

veeten
10th March 2009, 13:48
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090309110350.shtml

yup, an online gambling company will sponsor them. Nice. :dozey:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21231.html
and the company colours are Orange & Black. What car used to have those awhile back?... ;)

so, who's next,... Supermarkets, Viagra & Cialis,... or maybe Feminine Hygene products?... ;)

as the search for sponsorship leads towards the 'dark side'... NASCAR-itization! :eek:

just kidding, folks... maybe. :p :

jens
10th March 2009, 15:24
Actually I have thought about one possible explanation for BrawnGP's pace. I have been surprised, how competitive the cars launched in March (FI, BGP) have been, which made me thinking... Taking into account that teams are allowed to use only 4 engines during winter tests, I feel it's entirely possible that the rev-limiters of FI's and BGP's engines are higher, because they have less time to use up all the engine capacity and hence can take out more of each engine. Just a guess. ;)

ArrowsFA1
10th March 2009, 15:45
Q. What are you running here in terms of fuel?
RB: We are preparing for the race. We are running in normal race conditions. We started some long runs with Jenson yesterday, but we had a gearbox problem, and I hope we can do some long runs with Rubens this afternoon.
Q. Why are you so quick after months of being unsure about your future?
RB: It's 15 months of work. We said that we were sacrificing last year to concentrate on this car, and what you see is what we said we would do. So it is perfectly rational in my mind. But that is what we have.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73655

Garry Walker
10th March 2009, 15:49
Actually I have thought about one possible explanation for BrawnGP's pace. I have been surprised, how competitive the cars launched in March (FI, BGP) have been, which made me thinking... Taking into account that teams are allowed to use only 4 engines during winter tests, I feel it's entirely possible that the rev-limiters of FI's and BGP's engines are higher, because they have less time to use up all the engine capacity and hence can take out more of each engine. Just a guess. ;)
There are no limits to how many engines can be used in tests.

AndyL
11th March 2009, 14:42
so, who's next,... Supermarkets, Viagra & Cialis,... or maybe Feminine Hygene products?... ;)

as the search for sponsorship leads towards the 'dark side'... NASCAR-itization! :eek:

just kidding, folks... maybe. :p :

You may be closer to the mark than you think, particularly with the last one ;)
Tena (makers of incontinence pads) are already title sponsors of a team in British Superbikes!

Knock-on
11th March 2009, 14:45
Tena (makers of incontinence pads) are already title sponsors of a team in British Superbikes!

Dont forget condoms :)

Robinho
11th March 2009, 14:51
at lunch on day 3 of testing Button over 1 second clear of the field on a 1:19.1, i want to belive that they've got it really right with this car and that they are going to do something good this year (in your face Honda), if not, i hope this at least attracts a big sponsor!

SGWilko
11th March 2009, 14:57

Ooohhhh, get 'em in F1, there is a real opportunity here....

'and here comes Bruno Senna, sponsored by Tena'

:laugh:

Dave B
11th March 2009, 15:23
If Athens ever holds a Grand Prix, Tena should sponsor it.

Absorber the Greek...

Sorry :erm:

SGWilko
11th March 2009, 15:24

Absorber the Greek...

OMG that's terrible - you need to get yer coat mate!!! :laugh:

Knock-on
11th March 2009, 15:30
at lunch on day 3 of testing Button over 1 second clear of the field on a 1:19.1, i want to belive that they've got it really right with this car and that they are going to do something good this year (in your face Honda), if not, i hope this at least attracts a big sponsor!

That is hugely quick!!!

We now have a very real possibility that their previous times were accurate and this is a Hail Mary!!

Where's VB when you want him for a year long Sig bet?

Robinho
11th March 2009, 15:33
most laps completed today so far too, 107, so the car must be running pretty well straight out of the box. i'm so hoping this is true pace, if so they'll be right up there at the start oft he season at least

Knock-on
11th March 2009, 16:59
most laps completed today so far too, 107, so the car must be running pretty well straight out of the box. i'm so hoping this is true pace, if so they'll be right up there at the start oft he season at least

I haven't been so excited about a season for ages.

IF, Button has a car under him that can compete again, we might see some fireworks and a big shake up of the heirachy.

IF the BGP01 is competitive, some people will have very little to say about Nick fry as well :laugh: Like I said, lets give him a year without being stifled by Honda before judging him.

chuck34
11th March 2009, 17:14
That is hugely quick!!!

We now have a very real possibility that their previous times were accurate and this is a Hail Mary!!

That sounds about right to me. Here's to hoping at least. It sure would be nice to see someone take the fight to Ferarri and Mc.

Tazio
11th March 2009, 17:26
I haven't been so excited about a season for ages.

IF, Button has a car under him that can compete again, we might see some fireworks and a big shake up of the heirachy.

IF the BGP01 is competitive, some people will have very little to say about Nick fry as well :laugh: Like I said, lets give him a year without being stifled by Honda before judging him.What if (and this is a big what if) It ends up being JB, and LH duking it out for the WDC,
and some Brits go "spaniard" on Lewis. How will we be able to blame it on Fred :p :

Tazio
11th March 2009, 17:31
He'll be back on the Button Wagon between qualifying and the race in OZ! :dozey:

Sonic
11th March 2009, 20:37
OMG! *Eats own hat*

How fast would that car be with 2 months testing all the other teams have had?

SGWilko
11th March 2009, 22:03
What if (and this is a big what if) It ends up being JB, and LH duking it out for the WDC,
and some Brits go "spaniard" on Lewis. How will we be able to blame it on Fred :p :

Sorry pal, credit crunch see, cannot afford tp wantonly waste good shoe polish when my daughters school shoes return with her scuffed to b*ggery on a daily basis.

But I like the idea of becoming a racist - where can I join? Is the FIA HQ a good starting point Mine Feurer?

Tazio
12th March 2009, 01:51
Sorry pal

But I like the idea of becoming a racist Some how I don't see you in that faction Old Bean.
But it's out there :eek: Don't you pretend it's not! ;)

Valve Bounce
12th March 2009, 02:00

Absorber the Greek...

:D :D :rotflmao:

Valve Bounce
12th March 2009, 02:01
That is hugely quick!!!

Yagoddit!!

Valve Bounce
12th March 2009, 02:03
That sounds about right to me. Here's to hoping at least. It sure would be nice to see someone (Honda - Brawn - Bunsen) take the fight to Ferarri and Mc.

As John Wayne said: That'll be the day.

Valve Bounce
12th March 2009, 02:05
OMG! *Eats own hat*

How fast would that car be with 2 months testing all the other teams have had?

Rocket to the moon, man!! Rocket to the moon :rolleyes:

Valve Bounce
12th March 2009, 02:07
Sorry pal, credit crunch see, cannot afford tp wantonly waste good shoe polish when my daughters school shoes return with her scuffed to b*ggery on a daily basis.

But I like the idea of becoming a racist - where can I join? Is the FIA HQ a good starting point Mine Feurer?

There you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHc

Tazio
12th March 2009, 04:43
There you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJB-qkfUHcAin't nothin' ever as good as you want it to be!!
But that's no reason to break a deal !! :devil:

I'll see your eternal soul, and raise it two!
That's the way we do business in Mississippi !! :eek:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=4384697

leopard
12th March 2009, 04:52
hilarious... he is also a good mentor of Samba

SGWilko
12th March 2009, 09:28

Weeeeeeel raise my rent, you are the kid.

When I want to laugh out loud at the stupidity of racists, I stick Blazing Saddles on.

Altogether now....

Oh, the camptown ladies sing their song, do dah, do dah.

SGWilko
12th March 2009, 09:29
Samba

Thats the Lion cub in that Disney film innit? ;)

ShiftingGears
12th March 2009, 09:34
Thats the Lion cub in that Disney film innit? ;)

That would be Simba :p :

veeten
12th March 2009, 12:00
No relation ro Kimba. ;) :p :

ArrowsFA1
12th March 2009, 12:03
Renault driver Fernando Alonso believes the Brawn GP team is one of three or four squads who are a step in front of their rivals ahead of the start of the season following its showing in testing.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73678

Sonic
12th March 2009, 13:21
In other words a step ahead of Renault.

Robinho
12th March 2009, 14:49
but Rubens fastest again today, 1:19.2, sh!t this could be for real, dying for the season to start to see if the pace is what it seems

maximilian
12th March 2009, 15:14
It was my understanding that one of the problems Honda was having was... there were too many people involved in the design and management "by committee", as opposed to one clear guy in charge who makes the (hopefully good!) decisions.

Now, with the Honda "committee" gone, perhaps Ross Brawn can finally show his true talents. Make sense?

It sure would be interesting to see something surprising and different for a change, instead of the usual suspects on top.

jens
12th March 2009, 15:21
With every testing day I'm taking BrawnGP into a more serious consideration and I'm ready to reconsider my former scepticism. I doubt that they can fight for the '09 title (lack of resources for inseason improvements obviously), but in the beginning they may be genuinely quick. Like Red Bull in 2005, after no-one expected anything from them after Jaguar had sold its team.

What we shouldn't forget, is that BGP is essentially former Honda team and the car was mostly developed during the time of Honda's ownership. I wonder if 2009 is finally the breakthrough of Japanese F1 manufacturing, looking also at Toyota's pace. I remember creating a thread a bit more than a year ago about whether Japanese are ever capable of a F1 top challenge. Nice to see that they are starting to prove themselves. Much emphasis in this paragraph is on "Japan", but yes, this BGP001 should be considered as a "Honda car", like the 2005 Red Bull was actually "Jaguar's car".

Would be interesting to see Button fighting at the sharp end of the field too. It could settle (or maybe create!) some debates here. And of course, since it's considered he has never got a proper chance, it would be good to see him getting one. I wonder, how would the UK press react if Button outshone Hamilton this year - a turnaround? :p :

Also it would be exciting to see Barrichello (like also Trulli!) having a late-career resurgence.

I am evil Homer
12th March 2009, 15:31
Japan as in one car built in Cologne, Germany and another in Brackley, UK?!?! Not sure Honda will be too happy if the BGP with Merc power outshines their previous achievements!

jens
12th March 2009, 15:39
Japan as in one car built in Cologne, Germany and another in Brackley, UK?!?! Not sure Honda will be too happy if the BGP with Merc power outshines their previous achievements!

"Japan" can be meant as Japanese ownership, not the location of factory. ;)

rabf1
12th March 2009, 18:02
Its a mercedes engine.

How great would it be if BGP can actually keep up this pace. The decision makers at Honda will look pretty stupid.

chuck34
12th March 2009, 18:48
I don't want to go too overboard here, but I probably will, sorry.

Anyway, I think this is pretty much confirmation that Ross Brawn is a genius when it comes to race car design / race team management. After all it was his decision to basically scrap the 2008 season and concentrate on '09 that has brought on this success (albeit perhaps too early to call it true success). But I really think the decision to go full on with the '09 car has a whole lot to do with this form that they have shown so far.

Ranger
12th March 2009, 20:52
I don't want to go too overboard here, but I probably will, sorry.

Anyway, I think this is pretty much confirmation that Ross Brawn is a genius when it comes to race car design / race team management. After all it was his decision to basically scrap the 2008 season and concentrate on '09 that has brought on this success (albeit perhaps too early to call it true success). But I really think the decision to go full on with the '09 car has a whole lot to do with this form that they have shown so far.

Which is odd, because previous attempts at designing a car early have failed.

Honda definitely look a bit stupid right now.

Sonic
12th March 2009, 21:26
Which is odd, because previous attempts at designing a car early have failed.

Mostly because when a team chose that path before they were trying to play catch up, but in a formula where the rules had been static for so long it was only through evolution of design that progress was made. But Brawn and co realised that with a fresh sheet of paper they really could make a huge leap forward by starting the design process very early.

I wonder what odds I can get on a Brawn GP win in aus :D

CNR
12th March 2009, 22:09
this is the first new car design under brawn
http://www.thescuderia.net/rossbrawn.shtml

Ferrari's Technical Director Ross Brawn has been a major influence on the resurgence of the Ferrari team. Brawn is the brains behind the driving of Schumacher and their partnership has brought Ferrari success once again.

will we see him making strategic decisions from the pit wall ?

CNR
12th March 2009, 22:15
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73678
Alonso hopes to break Ferrari-McLaren domination
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/alonso-hopes-to-break-ferrarimclaren-domination/87532-5.html

We aren't a second and a half behind them but only a few tenths of second. So if the rhythm of evolution is as good as last year's then we have hopes," said Alonso. :confused:

wedge
12th March 2009, 23:11
Some interesting observations by James Allen

http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/how-jenson-button-did-that-lap-time/

Jenson did the lap time on the third lap of a four lap run. What is interesting about it is that his first flying lap was a 1m 19.229, so already very quick on the first lap, then he goes faster again. It was a qualifying simulation, of course, but he found more from the tyres on the second flying lap....

As for their long run pace, this too is equally impressive. Jenson did a 22 lap run with laps mostly in the 1m21s and high 1m 20s. On Wednesday in Barcelona not too many other cars were doing long runs at that speed. Massa’s Ferrari does a 20 lap run with laps in the low 1m21s.

So on the face of it, as Alonso says, the Brawn is as fast as the Ferrari, which is amazing if the car is running at its legal weight. Bear in mind that Ferrari is running KERS and Brawn is not, so there is a weight advantage to Brawn. And the Brawn is able to put its ballast where it wants it, to improve weight distribution. But on the other hand the Ferrari has the performance boost of the KERS button on the straights - Massa is 8km/h faster across the start line than Jenson.

Jenson does another long run, this time 21 laps, eight of which are in the 1m 20s, again super-competitive.

V12
13th March 2009, 02:31
Brawn are reminding me a bit of Red Bull after they took over Jaguar at the last minute (OK not this late, but still) in 2005.

I'd love it if Button was contending right at the sharp end, but honestly I think they'll do like Red Bull did in 2005, a good quick solid car out of the box when nobody expected them to do that well, but fading a bit as the year progresses and probably coming 6th or 7th in the CC come the end of the year, with a respectable haul of points.

Of course I'd love them to prove me wrong!

Knock-on
13th March 2009, 09:45
What if (and this is a big what if) It ends up being JB, and LH duking it out for the WDC,

Good one!!

I like Jenson and have supported him through thick and thin for years so am not going to change my mind at this stage.

I have watched Lewis come through the ranks and supported him back in the Renault days.

It would be a dream if we could see these go head to head.

Who would I support? BOTH :D

OK, ioan has a point. I will chicken out of that one :D

leopard
13th March 2009, 10:04
Alonso's opinion admitting the strength of Brawn Team would be one of top three or four squads would mean they will be at the front alongside Ferrari, McLaren, and BMW, which mean also Renault, team he is currently driving at will be out of top three or four, an opinion reflects his personality by which such opinion was made involving humility. Btw He could be wrong. ;)

Dave B
13th March 2009, 10:38
Or he regrets not signing for them when he had the chance and is keeping his options open in case Renault pull the plug after this season ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
13th March 2009, 11:21
I can't wait to rub Ioans face in it when Jenson becomes WDC this year. I lost all respect for him when he said Sutil and Sato were faster drivers than JB.

Tazio
13th March 2009, 11:23
God, this is such a mind-f***!!
I love it. :s mokin:

Tazio
13th March 2009, 11:33
I can't wait to rub Ioans face in it when Jenson becomes WDC this year. I lost all respect for him when he said Sutil and Sato were faster drivers than JB.I suggest you play your cards a little closer to your vest,
as you have just given IOAN a ligitimate justifiable reason to rub it in yours when/if he doesn't :)

Brown, Jon Brow
13th March 2009, 11:36
I suggest you play your cards a little closer to your vest,
as you have just given IOAN a ligitimate justifiable reason to rub it in yours when/if he doesn't :)

I don't think Sutil or Sato will be WDC so I reckon I can live with that fear.

Mark
13th March 2009, 11:40
It would indeed be quite a turn around if Button was the one winning races and challenging for the title this year and Hamilton was stuck in the mid-pack!

F1boat
13th March 2009, 11:42
It would indeed be quite a turn around if Button was the one winning races and challenging for the title this year and Hamilton was stuck in the mid-pack!

It will be cool, because it will mean that there are truly many great drivers and F1 is indeed in strong form. I hope that Jenson will win a race again, because he deserves it.

Dzeidzei
13th March 2009, 11:44
I hope that Jenson will win a race again, because he deserves it.

And how is that? How does he deserve a win? Making so much money last season and showing zip for it?

You get the wins you take.

F1boat
13th March 2009, 11:46
Dzeidzei, I believe that he has shown spirit and loyalty, as shown in his salary cut, so if he manages to win a race, IMO it will be a nice reward. But I have always liked him, so maybe I am biased. I wish him well, though.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th March 2009, 11:52
I think I would prefer Button to win instead of Hamilton. I've been a keen fan of Button since 2004. But Barichello winning would be fantastic to watch, especially when he didn't have a hope of being WDC when he was Schumachers team mate.

Tazio
13th March 2009, 11:58
I don't think Sutil or Sato will be WDC so I reckon I can live with that fear.You have missed a not so subtle but meaningful point. By saying
I can't wait to rub Ioans face in it when Jenson becomes WDC this year you have effectively taken AS and TS out of the equation IMHO.
Replace "when" with "if" and you have a little wiggle room.
I just have your best interest at heart, and it is only one mans opinnion.
Good luck mate.
May the F1 gods smile down on you! :up:

Dzeidzei
13th March 2009, 12:00
Dzeidzei, I believe that he has shown spirit and loyalty, as shown in his salary cut, so if he manages to win a race, IMO it will be a nice reward. But I have always liked him, so maybe I am biased. I wish him well, though.

I have nothing against Jenson and Im sure he´s a nice guy. But he is known not to be one of the hardest racers. But if the Brawn speed is real and Jenson capitalizes on it, good for him.

Im always ready to change my mind. And at least Jenson is not blatantly arrogant. Thats just repulsive.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th March 2009, 12:00
You have missed a not so subtle but meaningful point. By saying you have effectively taken AS and TS out of the equation IMHO.
Replace "when" with "if" and you have a little wiggle room.
I just have your best interest at heart, and it is only one mans opinnion.
Good luck mate.
May the F1 gods smile down on you! :up:

The majority of things I say are supposed to be taken with a large dose of salt!

Valve Bounce
13th March 2009, 12:01

Anyone who mentions bunsen and the word loyalty in the same sentence has a weird sense of humor, or is suffering from MDD.

LiamM
13th March 2009, 16:44
Is it just me looking at things a little bit too much, but could all this be a little bit of a smoke screen by Honda.

Is there any restrictions (barring money) on Honda developing a new engine for the 2010 season, and hence skipping around the engine freeze regulations. Its been widely accepted that Honda are quite down on power on the rest of the field.

So come 2010 Honda can sweep back into the championship with a brand new engine buying back the BrawnGP concern, and be relatively competitive (well more so than last year)

Thoughts anyone

Tazio
13th March 2009, 17:12
Is it just me looking at things a little bit too much, but could all this be a little bit of a smoke screen by Honda.

Is there any restrictions (barring money) on Honda developing a new engine for the 2010 season, and hence skipping around the engine freeze regulations. Its been widely accepted that Honda are quite down on power on the rest of the field.

So come 2010 Honda can sweep back into the championship with a brand new engine buying back the BrawnGP concern, and be relatively competitive (well more so than last year)

Thoughts anyoneYes and with Bernie and Max as major stake holders :p :

jens
13th March 2009, 20:28
If the car is a serious contender, I would personally expect Button to come out on top in the team-mate battle. He seems to be that kind of guy, who is really very consistent (and reasonably quick too) in a competitive car (especially visible in 04-06) and I think he suffered more from unmotivation recently than Rubens (who had to try his best to extend his F1-career), which made the battle quite close. In a top car, however, Button would be more focused, although he may not beat RB as clearly as he did in 2006.

Sonic
13th March 2009, 20:31
The majority of things I say are supposed to be taken with a large dose of salt!

So you caused all the problems in the snow with not enough grit for the roads!!!

wedge
14th March 2009, 00:06
If the car is a serious contender, I would personally expect Button to come out on top in the team-mate battle. He seems to be that kind of guy, who is really very consistent (and reasonably quick too) in a competitive car (especially visible in 04-06) and I think he suffered more from unmotivation recently than Rubens (who had to try his best to extend his F1-career), which made the battle quite close. In a top car, however, Button would be more focused, although he may not beat RB as clearly as he did in 2006.

What about poor Rubens? Probably his final year. Won't he want to prove to the world he's a worthy WDC not just the poor guy who played #2 to Schumi?

If you're talking battle of the team mates then Rubens has the edge on set up. He's more likely to take risks and has a far more versatile driving style - Button is Mr Smooth and nothing else, that's why he struggled the first six months two years in succession.

All in all RB & JB are equally matched.

CNR
14th March 2009, 00:54

Thoughts anyone
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=brawn+last+Ferrari+f1+design&start=10&sa=N
How about this

RealBrawnGP.com - Ross Brawn and Honda? (http://www.f1network.net/main/s169/st114594.htm)

11 Apr 2007 ... Brawn certainly does have an agreement with Ferrari, ... The Honda Racing F1 team made a decision last year to create a flatter ... with F1 design experience - Nakamoto's background is in engine design and motorbikes. ...

http://www.brawngp.com/

Roamy
14th March 2009, 08:38

Thoughts anyone

Well I don't think Takamoron is that smart. Honda just made mistakes along the way. I hope this Brawn deal is for real and they just pound everyone. We could start a whole new thread about the screw ups at Honda but then we would have to go to the HISTORY forum.

Roamy
14th March 2009, 08:46
I really hope this Brawn car is all it looks to be. I would like to see Button get a good ride although 04 should have been quite good.

I think a fast driver can and will leave his sharp edge in the drawer when forced to drive a piece of crap. Now guys with the undercars need to impress so they try harder. Button thought he was going to get a top ride but it didn't work out they way. Also I wonder how much input these drivers had.

christophulus
14th March 2009, 09:22
Technical analysis of the new Brawn car:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73700

Honda had already developed and track-tested its KERS system last year, using a flywheel system developed in conjunction with Flybrid. Unlike any other team, this was to be a pure flywheel solution mounted inside the front of the fuel tank, running off the front of the engine. This would not have required the same cooling and complex packaging demands as the electric or flywheel\electric solutions seen on its rivals.

As yet the team does not have plans to run KERS. Considering its late start to the season and limited budget, this seems to be a sensible route to take, as KERS is not mandatory in 2009. This choice might even have gained Brawn GP some of its pace, as the car can be configured to run ballast in the most efficient places (i.e. towards the front) rather than some 30Kg of the ballast being replaced by the KERS system in less efficient locations.

Looks like the car has been designed not to use KERS at all, which probably goes a long way to explaining the extra speed they've had, seems how all the other teams have had to compromise their designs in some way to fit in all the batteries..

DexDexter
14th March 2009, 09:54
Technical analysis of the new Brawn car:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73700

Looks like the car has been designed not to use KERS at all, which probably goes a long way to explaining the extra speed they've had, seems how all the other teams have had to compromise their designs in some way to fit in all the batteries..

On the contrary, the car was meant to have Honda's flywheel based KERS-solution, don't have the link right now but that's what I read.

ClarkFan
14th March 2009, 18:58
Brawn are reminding me a bit of Red Bull after they took over Jaguar at the last minute (OK not this late, but still) in 2005.

Actually, Brawn has one advantage over Red Bull, the consistent involvement of the person at the center of the team. Red Bull got an earlier start, but they were pretty much picking up the shards of Jaguar.

Oh, yes, and that central person just happens to be Ross Brawn, who may know a little about successful F1 teams.....

ClarkFan

ClarkFan
14th March 2009, 19:22
Dont forget condoms :)

Hmmm.....that could lead to some interesting new helmet shapes...

ClarkFan

14th March 2009, 21:17
Brawn GP look like top team for 2009 and you can track thier progress at this new blogg http//ms.tearn.com/2009/03/brawn-gp.html as it pulls in content live from 6 of the hottest sites on the net

leopard
15th March 2009, 05:25
Or he regrets not signing for them when he had the chance and is keeping his options open in case Renault pull the plug after this season ;)
I can't see it happens in near future, Renault has a solid financial, losing support from ING wouldn't worsen them anything, according to the report. ;)